UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #1551
phoopes
Double Dragon

I have to agree with MM, I spent soooooo many hours just on Pokeathlon. It's part of the reason why I think HGSS has some of the best post-game content, obviously it lets you go through Kanto but the Pokeathlon was just incredible.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #1552
Heather
Naga's Voice

Oh dear god Musicals were AWFUL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #1553
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I've done so much research and I still don't understand how musicals work.

Pokeathlon was the shit though. Dave is wrong.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #1554
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'll tell you all you need to know about how Musicals work-if you're the one in the air in the picture you get at the end, you "won." That's literally it.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #1555
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Pokéthalon was terrible, but a) I don't sports and b) I don't postgame. So.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #1556
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Honestly, the only issue I had with the Pokéathlon was that your Pokémon didn't get any Ribbons for beating it. And even then, that's a really minor complaint, considering the fact that I only wanted that to add to my Wynaut's humongous collection of Ribbons.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #1557
dirkac
uhhhhh

Okay yeah no Ribbons was a bit sucky.

But Musicals giving no Ribbons (just lolprops) and the Pokéstar Intro not being retained to Gen VI sucked.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #1558
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Not gonna lie, Pokestar was fuckawful. Yes, the item stocks from doing it was MAGNIFICENT, but all those scenarios were just. So. BORING.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #1559
Heather
Naga's Voice

The strange endings were good fun, though. CULTCLASSICS

Quote:
Old 05-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #1560
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We're way off topic but I guess I will weigh in too. -.-

Contests (RSEDPPt): The idea was fun but did not receive the proper support it needed, either during development of Ruby and Sapphire or afterwards. Perhaps in the far-flung future we'll have a Pokémon game where you can choose a career track and Contest Coordinator is one of them and receives as much support from the game as does the track which leads to League Champion. For now, though, Contests are boring, frustrating, and shallow.

The Pokéathlon (HGSS): The best Contests-like feature they have ever included. I poured dozens of hours into this, both before and after completing Story Mode. The mini-games are almost all of them fun. I still have fond memories of jumping hurdles, karate chopping concrete slabs, sprinting, trampoline jumping, snowball pelting, and kicking balls into soccer goals. This was sort of the Mario Party of Pokémon, and I really hope they bring it back in the future. I would love to be able to do it with friends, even if due to lag concerns it had to be kept to local play only.

Musicals (BW1): Hands down the worst Contests-like feature they've ever made. I did it maybe one or two additional times over what's required and then put it down forever.

Pokéstar Studios (BW2): The flavor of this idea makes me both groan at how dumb it is and smile at how cute it is. The movies are really campy, but I really adore the idea of fan favorite Sabrina secretly starring in movies. (And that sexy dress!) I didn't like how BW2 corrals you into doing this before you can advance the story, in large part because the timing was so very awful. I think I might have played around with this more had I not moved on to Pokémon Y shortly afterward.

The Pokémon World Tournament (BW2): This is flavorfully one of the coolest and worst ideas they've ever had. "Worst" only because I don't like that Giovanni is evil TR Giovanni or that he'd even bother to participate. But "coolest" in just about every other sense. What fan doesn't dream of a Who's Who? between past and present Pokémon champions and gym leaders? I would've spent sooooo much time with this if only I hadn't moved on to Y a few months later. This was a really cool one. I can easily see it being most people's favorite, even if for me that honor goes to the Pokéathlon.

Trainer PR Videos (XY): This one I wouldn't even count in this list but for the fact that the anime makes a big deal about how this is loosely connected to Tripokalons, which are to Kalos what Contests are to Hoenn and Sinnoh. The idea is that Kalos's equivalent of the top Contest Coordinators, they go and make PR videos that fans around the world can download and enjoy. So ... yeah, I guess? ^^; If we include this Gen 6 feature in the same conversation as the other things, then ... umm ... well, for starters, it isn't much of a game, now is it? ^^;; The videos would've been cooler, I think, if we had more control over them. You're rather limited in what you can say, show, or otherwise do. They're a harmless feature that most players will forget about and never use again, but I liked putting mine together in the weeks after beating the Elite Four (where you unlock more customization options), and I feel like if they had been less of a hassle to view then people would routinely be viewing each others' videos. Oh well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #1561
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Personally, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the Pokeathlon was the best thing in gen 4.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #1562
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I don't think I weighed in on every one of them, so might as well;

Contests: Love 'em. They don't hold a candle to battles, IMO, but they're still really fun. Though am I the only one who thinks they could potentially implement Contests with battle rounds like in the anime, using rules based loosely off the Battle Arena from Emerald? But anyway, yeah, I do like Contests a lot. In fact, my Wynaut has won every single kind of Contest Ribbon. Ever. Like, his Contest Memory Ribbon represents 40 Ribbons.

Pokéathlon: I've made my opinion known about this already, but it bears repeating- this was fun. The lack of Ribbons for participating Pokémon is more or less the only issue I could possibly have with the feature.

Musicals: Pass. The music wasn't too shabby, in all fairness, but that's about it.

PWT: Best. Battle facility. EVER. Type-specific tournaments, Gym Leaders, Champions, their respective awesome battle themes, an epic battle theme for the final round of tournaments, and you got Battle Points for winning and colored Shards (the currency of B2/W2's move tutors) for losing. That place is why I was never low on Battle Points in Black 2, and I was genuinely disappointed that something like that didn't become a staple of the series from then on.

PokéStar Studios: Honestly, these weren't that bad. Not quite my favorite thing about B2/W2, but I always found it a fun little distraction. I was pretty disappointed that its special battle entrance animation didn't carry over to subsequent games (same with the one for N's Pokémon, for that matter). But my Wynaut has the Contest star entrance animation now, so that's all good.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #1563
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

When I played Pokeathlon, I was surprised at how...completionist. I got. Pretty much every main party member had a red ribbon signifying that they'd won every cup, and I had trained and bred Pokemon specifically so that they'd have the best stats and beat the records in the back rooms (you also need the correct Nature).

Ended up with every trophy and record. I had to restart though (Brother put everything in bank without asking >:|) so hopefully the second time around will be equally fun.

I never did figure out how to get Sunkern to have 5 stars in every stat though.

Last edited by Shuckle; 05-23-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #1564
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

From how I enjoyed them, I'd rank the side activities like this: Contests (Hoenn) > PWT > Pokeathlon > Pokestar Studios > Contests (Sinnoh) >>> Musicals.

Wasn't a fan of the dress up and dancing for Sinnoh Super Contests and the Musicals were incredibly lame. Didn't get much into the PWT but it is fun. Even though I don't like HGSS much, I admit to spending many hours at the Pokeathlon Dome and having fun for the most part. Pokestar Studios was a nice distraction but I didn't really do much of it in B2W2.

Hoenn Contests are mostly out of nostalgia (Pokeblock Blender in Gen III was so fun) and because it didn't have dress up or dancing minigames.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #1565
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Relocation: went ahead and traded all of my competitive Pokémon (bred, EV trained, etc.) over from Y to Omega Ruby last night. Fifty-two in total, representing approximately thirty species. Most of them are for singles. Four of them are for Doubles, from my weak VGC 2014 team. Not really sure what Battle Spot Singles is like in 2016 -- probably horridly broken -- but I'll go investigate later today or this week.

Secret Bases: I'd like to create a Secret Base which is large-ish, easy to access, and isn't commonly used by people who create resource bases (e.g. the Blissey bases). Probably asking for too much. I can compromise on the size since I'm not big into decorating, but it should ideally be easy to access (plenty of those) and not commonly used by resource creators (ah, there's the tricky part). That's why I'm asking you guys for input. What areas should I steer clear of? What areas are fair game? I've seen resources on the Internet which say "PUT YOUR BASE HERE! LOTS OF SECRET BASE HOLES ALL CLOSE BY!" but then I worry that that means it'll attract the Blissey base people and their like since, duh, it would be ideal to have all the Blissey bases congregated in one small area instead of having them dispersed across the map.

I'd also like to go ahead and ask you guys for your QR codes. MM posted one earlier in the thread, but that was the only one I found when searching the thread for "QR code". MM! The team you had that day, is it a really good team? (Whether for EV training or for competitive battling?) Or was it just random HM whores you had on hand while you got your shiny Venipede? Other people! I'd like you to form a team with your best competitive Pokémon core and share your QR code with me! I will do the same later on, once I decide where to establish my secret base.

All the Singles battles I've seen so far are 3v3. Q1, is it not possible to do 6v6? Q2, does the computer pull the first three Pokémon from your team or does it select a random three? If it's the first three, alright, easy. If it's random, hrmm. I'd prefer 6v6 but I'm getting the feeling that that won't be possible.

Contests: I might bother with these later. Someone pointed out that you can get

Spoiler: show
one new Destiny Knot per day from an NPC in Lumiose City

so I'm kinda thinking I won't bother with Contests as a means to get {that item} over onto Omega Ruby. I'll probably just trade someone over from XY who is holding {that item} that I can go and get right now.

Went ahead and found out that the reward for doing all the contest stuff is a:

Lucarionite. Since I suspect we won't be able to export items from Gen 6 to Gen 7, and since I don't have plans to make a Mega Lucario terribly soon (he's on the list! but he's kinda far back in line)

this is another reason I'm not too fussed to do Contests. Would rather spend my time earning BP for tutor moves.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #1566
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
To answer your secret base questions:
1) From what I can tell the only way to do 6v6 is to set your base to triple or rotation battle. Otherwise no, it's 3v3 singles only, or 4v4 for doubles.

2) It pulls the first 3 members of your team. If you create a QR code then from what I can tell it's locked to those 3 pokemon until you create a new QR Code

As for creating a QR code: once I figure out how to upload one I might do so, though you'll probably beat my competitive core with ease :s

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #1567
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Setting a Secret Base to triple battles still restricts the Trainers to three Pokémon (the player can still use all six). Not sure about Rotation.

Talon: Two thirds of that team are pretty good competitively, though the Pokémon I lead with... well, not so much, though it's still been EV trained and has an item that works with it. Also, while I won't reveal the team here, some of the decor in the Secret Base may clue you in as to what one of the members of that team is.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #1568
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

There's a couple of Soaring-only spots which have about six or seven bases in there, and whenever I ended up connecting to the internet I usually had at least three in both.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #1569
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
There's a couple of Soaring-only spots which have about six or seven bases in there, and whenever I ended up connecting to the internet I usually had at least three in both.
You mean the Secret Shore and Secret Meadow? Those aren't Soaring-only. They can be accessed via Fly, and in fact, you have to access them through Surf (and I think Dive as well) before you can Soar or Fly to them at all.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #1570
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

oh yeah, forgot the dive shenanigans. Oops. But yeah, those two have tonnes of bases there iirc.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #1571
Heather
Naga's Voice

Islet's p straightforward with Dive. The other two, not so much. Either way I don't have comp mons on either of my gen 6 games atm as I'm Nuzlocking them both for the umpteenth time.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #1572
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
oh yeah, forgot the dive shenanigans. Oops. But yeah, those two have tonnes of bases there iirc.
That part you remember correctly. I gotta double check, but I'm pretty sure each one has six bases. I know the Secret Meadow does. Those two are where I keep a bunch of Blissey Bases.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #1573
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
That part you remember correctly. I gotta double check, but I'm pretty sure each one has six bases. I know the Secret Meadow does. Those two are where I keep a bunch of Blissey Bases.
Fill me in on this. When you say "I keep a bunch of Blissey bases there," do you mean:
  1. people online made Blissey bases, they intelligently placed them in these clusters, and you found out about them and added their bases to your game?
  2. you yourself have worked together with friends (and/or your own duplicate copies of ORAS) to manually create Blissey bases from scratch, and you personally chose to locate yours there because yeah duh it's the smart place to put 'em
  3. people online made Blissey bases, but you decided where they go -- in other words, you don't have to put someone's Secret Base where they put it on their own game; you just have to assign them a new cave and all's well.
I really doubt it's C but would love it if C were the answer.

I'm thinking it's A, which is understandable. And if you happen to know where you pulled those codes from, I'd like to ask you to share that with us here as well so that I, at the very least, can go ahead and add those to my game. Battle Not-Frontier is just not cutting it with its ten or so trainers and their sub-Lv.100s, and going from Secret Base to Secret Base to fight random players' teams in the hopes of gaining EXP isn't doing me favors either. (Takes way too much time. Much more than it's worth. XY Battle Maison so much more time efficient.) I gotta get those Blisseys!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #1574
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Yeah, it's just A. And after a little digging around, managed to find the Blissey base codes in question. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...56114892631798 I use the ones from Secret Meadow and Secret Shore, and I also have the ones from Route 111 added to my own Secret Base to make those even more convenient for me to access.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #1575
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

It's probably A. Most people when they put these bases online do tend to give a location for the base. Although B is likely if you have enough friends or copies of the game.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON