UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
"Blue Harvest" sucked

Title was just to draw you in, but it's really an under-statement. It was horrible. I watched it not because I like Family Guy (no strong preference) but because Georgie Loon Cus enthusiastically endorsed it, and probably found it "riveting".

There was too much dull. BH followed ANH to the tee, not really parodying scenes so much as replicating them exactly, with a few gags thrown in. The parts that weren't gags felt like wasted time, and 95% of the gags fell flat.

The few that I liked:

1. When Quagmire tunes in to "Tatooine Radio" and it's Rush Limbaugh ranting about the liberal Rebels, Hoth melting and Lando's affirmative action route to ruler of Cloud City.
2. After Louis insults Chris for being fat, he mentions he came with Obi-Wan, then goes "do you still think I'm fat?!".
3. Adam West as Tarkin, because Adam West is awesome.

Maybe I'm spoiled. I saw Space Balls when I was a child and found it absolutely hilarious, less hilarious than as an adult, but it was still amusing. And growing up with all the LucasArts games that intelligently poked fun at Star Wars, this effort seemed utterly half-arsed. All of that was better than "Blue Harvest".

Truth be told, the impression I kept getting was "an internet denizen wrote this". Someone with internet savvy not quite on the geek level, but not nearly as plebian as the much reviled "casual" crowd who I think this was trying to appeal to. I.e., the people who would be surprised Family Guy acknowledges another show called Robot Chicken exists, that a network it used to air on called Cartoon Network existed (technically), and that it made a SW parody shortly before BH came out.

I still need to watch that RC episode now that FG basically advertised it, here's hoping it's way better.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
No, you're wrong.

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
phoopes
Double Dragon

Well, you drew me in indeed. You know you spend too much time on the Internet when you see something like this and think its a hate thread for the serebii mod at first, lol.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

I agree.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

It's a Trap was pretty bad =/

Hell, the commentary said it was bad!

Robot Chicken Star Wars were better.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
phoopes
Double Dragon

I liked Blue Harvest and Something Something Something Dark Side. It's a Trap, not so much. Haven't seen the Robot Chicken parodies.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

To be completely honest, Family Guy really hasn't been funny save a few episodes in the past few years because the show ultimately turned into Seth's portal for pushing his liberal bullshit, which I wouldn't care about due to my own political stances being similar, but he practically shoves it down the audiences throats in what is supposed to be a cartoon sitcom of sorts. Not to mention the characters changed so much from what they once were and what made them so funny in the first place.

It's stupid.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Agreed. Recently it's mostly focused on being a) silly and b) political. Not really seen many recent episodes because of this, but I did enjoy Blue Harvest and Something Something Something Dark Side.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
To be completely honest, Family Guy really hasn't been funny save a few episodes in the past few years because the show ultimately turned into Seth's portal for pushing his liberal bullshit, which I wouldn't care about due to my own political stances being similar, but he practically shoves it down the audiences throats in what is supposed to be a cartoon sitcom of sorts. Not to mention the characters changed so much from what they once were and what made them so funny in the first place.

It's stupid.
This is why I'm glad Seth has talked of ending the series soon. Granted, Fox is going to milk it for all it's worth until then, but at least he's seeing that it's about at the end of it's time.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

It doesn't matter, Family Guy goes, Seth ushers in a new show. Garbage in, garbage out.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
It doesn't matter, Family Guy goes, Seth ushers in a new show. Garbage in, garbage out.
Can't forget The Cleveland Show (which no one watches) and American Dad (which is basically Seth pushing the same political views he does in Family Guy, except by making the opposing side look like total idiots).
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Family Guy kept getting progressively worse and worse after it was let back on the air after being cancelled. I mean, it was still funny for a few seasons, but you could see how they started changing the characters into running gags that they'd soon run dry. Of course, this will eventually happen to any comedy show that runs on too long. You can't come up with jokes forever without going on the "uncreative jokes about current events" route.

Was Cleveland & Friends (or whatever the fuck it's called) any good? I heard it was awful.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

The Cleveland Show is... not good.

American Dad! is currently the strongest of the three imo, though I can see it getting stale soon.

Then again I used to love The Simpsons until it starting repeating itself around season 12, but that's a different kettle of onions.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Was Cleveland & Friends (or whatever the fuck it's called) any good? I heard it was awful.
Rarely. It has a few okay episodes but it sucks for the most part.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
phoopes
Double Dragon

The Cleveland Show is terrible. Not even in the same class as Family Guy and American Dad (Both of which are in the below average category in their best episodes, nowadays).
Old 02-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

I will say I don't even care for American Dad as I really think it's completely stupid, but the Christmas special when Stan died and went to limbo, and later to Heaven, was a great episode, well written, and had me rolling for most of it.

But that was about it.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
This isn't really a Seth topic - we're seeing the same problem with Stone and Parker on South Park, the two using current events because they can't think of fresh, uniquely funny gags to use (and, to be honest, talk shows have the same problem).

McFarlane can be funny, as several of the cut-away gags in FG are hilarious. I especially like this one.

Why is it funny? Because you have no idea what direction the joke is taking. And it's visually presented in a way that takes you to the destination before you can even think about possible directions.

Blue Harvest was awful because 1) it reproduced scenes from ANH and did NOTHING with them, they were just filler/empty space and 2) the jokes were predictable or lame.

My opinion of the whole episode/film was it was half-arsed. McFarlane took the easy route for most of the jokes and just CGI replicated the original film. And Lucas loves it how? Why?

Maybe the creativity is being divided between the three animated sitcoms + whatever independent projects McFarlane is working on. Because this was just lazy, I can't imagine someone over 9 years old finding it amusing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Oh god what

Family Guy is supposed to be silly and offensive. Thats the whole point of it not being The Simpsons. Simpsons is meant for the whole family to enjoy and laugh at together. Family guy is for your parents to dissaprove of, but you still watch it anyway because its offensive and hilarious.

But we can leave that for another Family Guy thread.

Blue Harvest was quite good, I though. Although it doesn't follow along the lines of what Seth McFarlane normally does and go into silly humour that, even if you're incredibly mature you can't help but laugh at, it is still funny. It just shows more of a satirical attitude towards the directing of the film, pointing out the flaws but still keeping it funny and understandable.

Something Something Darkside... is basically the same. Loved it. The fact that if you watch both shows and remember them, and then you see Boba Fett as the Evil Chicken. That was funny.

Its a Trap was actually okay. I liked the scene where they go through the over-excessive nodding part of the film. Its funny because it takes the piss out of the original. Thats the point. Ans also Quinvodgvsuela was the little helper droid. That was fucking funny.

I know people are going to disagree with me, but thats just how I saw the films going.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:

It's stupid.
This is pretty much how I view Family Guy as well, although not as much on the "my own political beliefs are similar to his" part. The characters on Family Guy have become largely uncaring, immoral people that are completely unrelatable.

For the past 2-3 years I've been able to tell what direction each episode is going in, guess how characters will humorously react to events, and guess how cutaways will go down - even though the entire point of the cutaway gag is to be random and unpredictable, once you've seen a substantial amount of Family Guy it becomes difficult to be entertained because they think so simply you can't help but predict it. Family Guy is also ripping off a lot of other, more excellent shows, especially South Park and Futurama.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
This is pretty much how I view Family Guy as well, although not as much on the "my own political beliefs are similar to his" part. The characters on Family Guy have become largely uncaring, immoral people that are completely unrelatable.

For the past 2-3 years I've been able to tell what direction each episode is going in, guess how characters will humorously react to events, and guess how cutaways will go down - even though the entire point of the cutaway gag is to be random and unpredictable, once you've seen a substantial amount of Family Guy it becomes difficult to be entertained because they think so simply you can't help but predict it. Family Guy is also ripping off a lot of other, more excellent shows, especially South Park and Futurama.
Well, I wouldn't say my political beliefs match Seth's. I'd say mine are closer in some aspects (I'm a moderate, but have found myself to be a more liberal moderate over the years, but DEFINITELY not as left leaning as he is), while some are definitely way too far. Remember the "Bag of Weed" song? "Let's shove it into the audience's faces!", and then of course, as you said, the characters have become uncaring and immoral. They're all completely unlikable and downright terrible, not to mention the show itself is uncaring and immoral. I'd almost argue that South Park is even slightly better in that aspect. A lot of the shit they pull in the name of humor just comes off as disgusting and leaves a bad taste in the mouth (the episode that was pulled because of a two second scene at the end they tried to make funny is reminiscent of this: Lois became a surrogate mother for a pregnant friend who died in a car wreck, and at the end of the episode revealed she had a abortion, cue joke. NOT funny.)

Futurama is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Being what is essentially the Simpsons without boundaries, ACTUAL CHARACTERS, and ACTUAL STORIES, mixed with funny humor. And let's not forget the episodes that trigger more emotions than laughter... a la Jurassic Bark and The Luck of the Fryrish (both episodes had me bawling at the end, something I can't say cartoons often do).
Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't say my political beliefs match Seth's. I'd say mine are closer in some aspects (I'm a moderate, but have found myself to be a more liberal moderate over the years, but DEFINITELY not as left leaning as he is), while some are definitely way too far. Remember the "Bag of Weed" song? "Let's shove it into the audience's faces!", and then of course, as you said, the characters have become uncaring and immoral. They're all completely unlikable and downright terrible, not to mention the show itself is uncaring and immoral. I'd almost argue that South Park is even slightly better in that aspect. A lot of the shit they pull in the name of humor just comes off as disgusting and leaves a bad taste in the mouth (the episode that was pulled because of a two second scene at the end they tried to make funny is reminiscent of this: Lois became a surrogate mother for a pregnant friend who died in a car wreck, and at the end of the episode revealed she had a abortion, cue joke. NOT funny.)

Futurama is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Being what is essentially the Simpsons without boundaries, ACTUAL CHARACTERS, and ACTUAL STORIES, mixed with funny humor. And let's not forget the episodes that trigger more emotions than laughter... a la Jurassic Bark and The Luck of the Fryrish (both episodes had me bawling at the end, something I can't say cartoons often do).
Completely agreed. I have a much higher opinion of South Park than most people - it's my second favorite animated show, after Futurama - and it seems to me that the characters are actually more believable and relatable than the Family Guy characters. And that's saying a lot, considering South Park has ridiculous (and awesome) characters like Cartman (immoral, power-hungry, neo-Aryan, etc.) and Randy (impulsive, crazy, obsessive). The Lois episode that you mentioned is one of the ones that comes to mind when thinking about how disgusting the characters and plot have been getting. It also seems that more and more of the Family Guy characters are being involved in serious crimes like theft and murder - in the most recent season alone, at least 4-5 of the main characters have killed someone with no consequences.

Futurama is fantastic. It's my favorite television show of all time. Interestingly enough, Futurama's quality hasn't diminished at all the older it gets - the new episodes feel very similar to the old ones, which is great because the old ones were excellent.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment