UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

$700 for a dog?

I just saw an ad on Purdue's Facebook Marketplace for a "Cairn Terrier (just like Toto from the Wizard of Oz!)" asking for $700. When I considered that our awesome cat was picked up, abandoned in a parking structure in downtown Indianapolis, for free, and when I consider how many other cats and dogs there are either on the streets or in pounds in need of homes, I have to ask myself who in their right mind would spend $700 just to purchase this dog. I have no experience with pound animals, but ... can't you usually pick a dog up at the pound for like $30? What gives? $700 just because it's the same breed as Toto? Give me a fucking break, it's not even the right color!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: $700 for a dog?

Oh, I understand that, Dami. I'm still saying it's crazy. (Also, if we want to talk about pedigree dogs ... purebreds aren't worth the trouble. It's like buying a Rolls Royce that has the durability of a Toyota Camry. :x You'll pay out the nose for vaccines, shots, cancer therapy, etc. etc. for a purebred dog ... they've got so many genetic problems. @_@)
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
I just saw an ad on Purdue's Facebook Marketplace for a "Cairn Terrier (just like Toto from the Wizard of Oz!)" asking for $700. When I considered that our awesome cat was picked up, abandoned in a parking structure in downtown Indianapolis, for free, and when I consider how many other cats and dogs there are either on the streets or in pounds in need of homes, I have to ask myself who in their right mind would spend $700 just to purchase this dog. I have no experience with pound animals, but ... can't you usually pick a dog up at the pound for like $30? What gives? $700 just because it's the same breed as Toto? Give me a fucking break, it's not even the right color!
Imagine how many people are buying Toygers when they could go for pound animals. People like the exotic, and pure breeds tend to lean toward that, though I should say if there's no certificate the dog's almost worthless. >_>
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

You always seem really naive when you talk about money Talon. Like when you wanted that $24 Saki figure, which was originally like $30, for $12 thinking I would turn a $7 profit from that when clearly, the cost for me was higher then $12, probably $15, meaning a $3 loss.

Or the house in the UK for $400K being expensive when the house I'm living in costs $600K (according to the property tax report).

Or the sandwiches that cost more than $2 in Manhatten. That made me LOL so hard.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta

You know, the purebred dog is probably less healthy, less robust, and will have a shorter life span than a dirty mongrel dog. I certainly wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on one just to show it off. What a bunch of pretentious bullshit.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 AM   #6
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

If I lived on a farm where tornadoes were common, I'd probably buy it.

But I don't. So oh well.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I wouldn't pay $1 for a dog. Hell, I'd pay someone to take the annoying thing away. I hate dogs. If you own one, prepare to lose alot of precious stuff, because that annoying thing will either chew it up, or piss all over it. Not only are they a horrible mess, but if you buy one when it's young, it is worse than a newborn baby, and you will not get a wink of sleep. Their barks also hurt my ears (sensitive hearing). I prefer cats.

Now, as for that dog. I think I might borrow it and sell it. That would be a marvelous investment.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
Now, as for that dog. I think I might borrow it and sell it. That would be a marvelous investment.
You sound like a potential eBay Seller.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #9
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

I wanted a Scottish terrier.

Parent's paid $200-$400.

So, I must be an idiot right?

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You could have found a dog at the pound that looked nigh-on identical to that breed but lacked purebred blood and it would have been ...
- 10x healthier than a purebred, and
- 10x cheaper

I wouldn't say you were stupid. I would say that your parents figured it was worth the $400 to avoid the hassle of calling up 30 pounds and seeing the dogs one by one to find one that matched.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Salesman #2: Best? Well that's a matter of opinion. I personally like the Electric Snail.

[He picks up the snail in a jar. The shell sparks like a Jacob's ladder.]

Fry: That's a stupid animal. You're stupid! I said I want the best one. Now which costs more? The parrot or the Stink Lizard?

Salesman #2: The lizards are a buck each, the parrot is $500.

[Fry whistles.]

Fry: That's a hell of a good parrot. Although, I could get 500 lizards for the same price. Girls like swarms of lizards, right?

Salesman #2: Sir, the store is closing in two minutes.

Fry: Alright, I'll take the 500 lizards. No, wait, yes. No. Yes. Yes. Yes! The parrot!
A fool and his money are easily departed. You should know that! But it really does suck for all them homeless/pound critters. ;_; This kind of think is almost as retarded as [strike:9bd41]buying[/strike:9bd41] adopting kids from other countries instead of from where you're from.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
This kind of think is almost as retarded as [strike:a96a1]buying[/strike:a96a1] adopting kids from other countries instead of from where you're from.
You're just jealous because Angelina Jolie is trying to catch 'em all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc