UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #101
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Read the Rainbow Trilogy by Alex Sanchez. I really like them, despite a few common cliches and the like. By the end of the third book I was pretty sad when I realised that Jason, Kyle and Nelson's stories had come to an end and wished that Sanchez had possibly written a book about the college years. If you like reading about gay/bi characters I do recommend this.

Also read Hero by Perry Moore. A story based around be gay and having powers, and having a disgraced hero and seeming homophobe for a father, this is an really good book, which I think does a pretty good send up of the Justice League. My biggest complaint about this book would be that it seems that some dude suddenly knows that the main character is gay. Like he has the power of gaydar or something. Would recommend this to anyone. It is a pity that Perry Moore died, he had a solid group of characters and was apparently planning on a sequel and a tv show.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #102
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Also read Hero by Perry Moore. A story based around be gay and having powers, and having a disgraced hero and seeming homophobe for a father, this is an really good book, which I think does a pretty good send up of the Justice League. My biggest complaint about this book would be that it seems that some dude suddenly knows that the main character is gay. Like he has the power of gaydar or something. Would recommend this to anyone. It is a pity that Perry Moore died, he had a solid group of characters and was apparently planning on a sequel and a tv show.
I've heard about this book and it does sound really interesting. I read an article in a magazine once about LGBT Books and this was listed and I never took any of the recommendations on board and I was planning to try and dig up the article this year so I could look into some of the books. So thank you for bringing this to my attention PikaGod. I'll have to read it at some point~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #103
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Muyo, if you're interested in Alexander the Great, I would recommend reading Plutarch's Life of Alexander - it's one of like three or four ancient literary accounts from which historians draw their picture of Alexander.

Also, currently rereading Lord of the Rings, and then will probably finish the Dune Trilogy. Maybe the Oedipus plays afterwards.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #104
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

The Demonata series. I have read the first three books and have enjoyed reading them.
TheNthDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #105
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Recently finished reading "The Original Constitution What it Actually Said and Meant"
by Robert G Natelson

Not really an entertainment book, but it was quite educational, and I found it entertaining.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #106
Soulmaster
Pokemon Trainer

I am currently reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
the last book I finished was The Outcasts by John Flanagan
Soulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #107
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Halfway through "A History of China"- I'm really not surprised that they ended up embracing communism. I'm about to spoil Chinese history, so watch out!
Spoiler: show
The rise and fall of almost every dynasty seems to have an identical cause- wealthy landowners find out a way to exempt themselves from tax, the burden of tax shifting onto the farmers, the farmer's lands being bought by the wealthy landowners as the farmers can't meat the tax demand, the peasants engage in a series of revolts and eventually topple the dynasty, replacing it with another emperor (Son of Heaven) who lessens the burden of taxation on the peasants- only to have his descendants fall victim to the same mistake of the predecessor (or the emperor is assassinated/deposed by the wealthy landowners)
It is certainly interesting so far though, I've learned a great deal.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #108
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
I am currently reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
Love that series.

Finished Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld just yesterday.
A great steampunk book. Looking to read the sequel Behemoth soon.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #109
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
So that Percy Jackson books you've heard of?

Yeah, unless you're like super into adult-only novels I highly suggest picking it up. Because they're pretty awesome.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #110
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
So that Percy Jackson books you've heard of?

Yeah, unless you're like super into adult-only novels I highly suggest picking it up. Because they're pretty awesome.
I picked up the first book of this series when I needed something to read on the train home. Cue me getting drawn into this series, and reading through this series and the sequel series in the span of a week and a half. I still need to pick up the Kane Chronicles by the same guy as well. And to other people, if you see the movie, completely disregard it when you read the book. There is a lot that is changed from book to movie, and the only positive thing that can be said about it that Perspherone comes in quicker. The fact that she is played by Rosario Dawson may slightly sway my opinion on the matter.

Yesterday I finished The Golem's Eye, which is the second book in the Bartiemius series, and have started on the third book. Defintely a recommended read.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #111
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Finished "A History of China"- and it apparently was published at just the wrong time in history, which made its actual ending seem to not ring true to what I already knew about post World War II China. The book seemed to end on really positive notes about Chairman Mao and the communist party in China, leaving you to think that things were finally working out for the working class in China for the first time in thousands of years... Then there was an addendum chapter that mentioned that "when this book was submitted for publishing, the numerous atrocities committed by the Communist party were not yet known and verified, and so the addendum (which did not have the same author) went in to describe the millions killed and starved by Mao Tse-Tung. And so, at the end of all of the revolutions, dynasties and Sons of Heaven things still haven't gotten much better. How depressing.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #112
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you think the Chinese had it rough, you should check out the Koreans next. (Not saying the Chinese didn't have it rough at times. But the Koreans ... there's just no comparison.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #113
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Japan is next on my list, but I'll check out Korea after that.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #114
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I thought the Percy Jackson trailer kinda sucked, but then again I do have very high standards for any movie dealing with Greek/Roman mythology.

I just finished re-reading The Lord of the Rings. It is much better reading it as an adult, and I can safely say that it is the best book I have ever read.

I am now reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I've just finished Chapter Two, and I like it so far.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #115
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I am now reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I've just finished Chapter Two, and I like it so far.
Great book. It certainly does make one despair for humanity, though.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #116
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Great book. It certainly does make one despair for humanity, though.
I'm beginning to see that. I've got this growing sensation of horror and curiosity.

I want to know exactly how they did all this, and if it's actually possible... but I also want to never know.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #117
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

The Percy Jackson movie, by all accounts, sucked. The books are what I'm talking about and they seem to follow Greek mythology to pretty much a tee.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #118
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I finished Brave New World yesterday. It was fantastic, and like Muyo said, despairing.

I am now going to finish the original Dune trilogy: I've already read Dune, and will now be reading Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. I'm also going to finish off the Appendices of Lord of the Rings.

Haven't decided what I'll do after that, but I'll probably end up reading Inheritance (just for finality), and then get back to some classics.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #119
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Bump ;;

Finished off Dune Messiah today. Not as good as the original Dune, but it's definitely a lot more meta.

Been really busy lately and have only had time to read on my lunch breaks, so it'll probably take me a while to get through Children of Dune.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #120
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

So I read The Sins of the Father, sequel to Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer. Ehh...it wasn't as good as the earlier one and the cliffhanger ending made it pretty obvious what'll happen.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #121
unownmew
Banned

Finished Behemoth a while back. Had quite a twist, i must say, but it was great.

Also finished reading The Apocrypha. It's fascinating, I must say. Wish I owned the Book of Enoch too.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #122
GrJackass
Night Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syoiG...b9FAAAAAAAACAA

this is pretty great, thought i would share

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #123
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Finished Children of Dune. Was awesome. Hungering for more Dune stuff but the rest of it was written by someone else... meh.

Started The Once and Future King. I'm two chapters in and I already love it.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #124
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I really enjoyed Once and Future- I'll be looking forward to hearing about what part of the cycle you like best.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #125
Talon87
時の彼方へ

IMO The Once and Future King is either the definitive Arthurian tale or else ranks second only behind Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur. Required reading for anyone who wants a better understanding of Arthurian myth. Yes, it takes some very healthy liberties here and there, introducing characters who never existed before (and in some cases even introducing characters from other time periods!), but it isn't so much going for historicity as it is going for an excellent character portrait of Arthur Pendragon, of why he came to be the king legends say he was and why the failure of his grand social experiment is so tragic.

Disney fans might be interested to know that the bulk of the first book served as the basis for Walt Disney's The Sword in the Stone. So if you've ever wanted to feel what it's like to read a novel, and not some short fairy tale, that you know from Disney, here you go: read this book and find out. And then perhaps stick around for the other three books in the book. (Note: the book is printed nowadays as a compilation of what were originally four books.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment