UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #251
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ugh, they threw romance into it? Sigh... why must these action movies lately have shitty half assed attempts at a romantic subplot? It isn't even worth doing...

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #252
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished the movie Colorful. Plot summary from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Upon reaching the train station to death, a dejected soul is informed that he is 'lucky' and will have another chance at life. He is placed in the body of a 14-year-old boy named Makoto Kobayashi, who has just committed suicide. Watched over by a neutral spirit named Purapura, the soul must figure out what his greatest sin and mistake in his former life was before his time limit in Makoto's body runs out. He also has a number of other lesser duties he must complete, such as understanding what led Makoto to commit suicide in the first place and learning how to enjoy his second chance at life.
It was a good film. It's very somber, but it was still gripping to watch at parts.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #253
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Is it subbed?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #254
deoxys
Fog Badge

Saw Transformers 3. Better than the first two. It's pretty much what you'd expect of it, though the movie does really pick up about 3/4's of the way through and becomes more than decent.

7.5/10ish
Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #255
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I heard the girl is hotter than Megan Fox.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #256
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'd say you heard wrong. Unless you like the "vagina lips that look like they were glued on to a burn victim's face" look this girl's sporting. Megan Fox is trailer skank trash, an automatic boner killer, but at least she doesn't look like Collagen McGee.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #257
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

She looks better in photos than in movies.

Saw Hangover Part 2. Was everything you can expect it to be, but in a good way unlike Transformers 3. Also saw Pirates 4 in 3D. Was everything you can expect and more. NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Watched Ip Man and it's sequel, Ip Man 2. I have to say, they are really good Kung Fu movies and I highly suggest any Kung Fu or Chinese culture aficionado. They are the patriotic equivalent of Rocky 5 with Kung Fu and Chinese culture. Not sure exactly how much of it was true, mostly likely very little, but it was still a good movie.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #258
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I just went to see X-Men: First Class with my friend. Thought I'd mention it since there's been recent discussion about superheroes/Marvel/whatnot. Plus I don't watch movies a lot.

It was good, I enjoyed it. Glad I picked it over Green Lantern, especially after reading some of the reviews in this thread. I may not like superheroes, but X-Men's the kind of morally ambivalent story I can definitely go for.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #259
deoxys
Fog Badge

Saw Contagion.

Very good film, it definitely gives you a look into what could happen if there was a major pandemic that killed millions of people in this day and age.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're even slightly a germophobe, though. There are... some details about germs and such that the movie explains that are just... well hey, did you know that the average human apparently touches their face 2,000 to 3,000 times a day? I still find this hard to believe. But yeah, up close shots of people touching things and then other people touching those things and then putting their fingers in their food or eye or wherever... is kind of gross. So they get the point across.

Oh, and from what I've read, the pandemic virus that happens in the movie is apparently hypothetically possible to create...

Anyway, check it out. Also, DAT CAST.

BORKED

And the last minute of the film takes what was a good movie and turns it into a great movie with a really cool scene. Walked out of the theater "coughing". I hope I freaked some people out

I forgot! THE SOUNDTRACK! Amazing soundtrack! Then again, I'm a sucker for creepy electronic music/haunting piano!

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 09-28-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #260
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
did you know that the average human apparently touches their face 2,000 to 3,000 times a day? I still find this hard to believe.
Seems very hard to believe. 3,000 times a day. That's 125 times per hour (and that's WITH us calling it a 24-hour day instead of a 16-hour waking day where 8 of the 24 daily hours are spent sleeping and presumably NOT TOUCHING YOUR FACE), which in turn is 2 times a minute. Every minute. No exceptions. Failure to touch your face for 30 minutes means you'll have to touch your face four times a minute (or once every 15 goddamn seconds) 30 minutes somewhere else in the day just to make up the difference. See how this figure is already falling apart? This is the sort of figure which while technically possible (twice a minute, every minute) doesn't seem like it holds up in the long run. It's not like they're making an impossible claim like 300,000 times a day, but I'd be more inclined to believe 500 or 1,000 than to believe as many as 3,000 daily. Once every 20 to 30 seconds ... constantly? That just seems ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #261
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Seems very hard to believe. 3,000 times a day. That's 125 times per hour (and that's WITH us calling it a 24-hour day instead of a 16-hour waking day where 8 of the 24 daily hours are spent sleeping and presumably NOT TOUCHING YOUR FACE), which in turn is 2 times a minute. Every minute. No exceptions. Failure to touch your face for 30 minutes means you'll have to touch your face four times a minute (or once every 15 goddamn seconds) 30 minutes somewhere else in the day just to make up the difference. See how this figure is already falling apart? This is the sort of figure which while technically possible (twice a minute, every minute) doesn't seem like it holds up in the long run. It's not like they're making an impossible claim like 300,000 times a day, but I'd be more inclined to believe 500 or 1,000 than to believe as many as 3,000 daily. Once every 20 to 30 seconds ... constantly? That just seems ridiculous.
Yeah. I tried looking up citations, but found nothing. She says the line in the trailer I linked, too, and that it's on average "3-5 times a minute", which she says roughly equates to 2-3k times a day.

Everything I've read though so far is that the writers of the movie apparently worked hard and did their homework because they wanted to be scientifically accurate and not falsify anything. I found a pretty interesting article regarding the film in which doctors and researchers discuss the probability and accuracy of the film. They were apparently in agreement that the movie is almost completely accurate (WARNING - PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD) At the end, the one doctor said he feels this is a movie every medical student needs to see. Guess this means you should get on that, Talon ;P
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #262
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've probably already studied the movie from back when bird flu (December '07? '08?) and swine flu (December '08? '09?) were scaring the crap out of the public.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #263
Loki

I have some spoilers:

Spoiler: show
I found the disease to be fairly outrageous. A fruit bat that has the virus drops it's banana in a pig farm. The pig eats the banana and gets the virus. Then the butcher who kills the pig doesn't wipe his hands and contracts the virus and spreads the plague of biblical proportions. And somehow, the first human who dies of the disease is married to Matt Damon, who is randomly immune to Bat-Fruit-Pig-Human disease that no human has ever been in any real contact with before?

I know I have to go in with a certain level of "Hollywood Logic," but seriously, it was like they had a virus made from a Rube Goldberg machine.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #264
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yes, that didn't escape me either. It's a bit ridiculous, in fact the issue regarding immunity was the biggest plot device in the movie that was never given explanation, although I guess there really isn't much to say?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #265
deoxys
Fog Badge

Saw Ides of March (George Clooney/Ryan Gosling/Evan Rachel Wood), great movie and political drama, plus it makes Cincinnati look good on film.

I highly recommend it for the fact that its a good movie. Also I never want to get involved in politics and this movie, as dumb and illogical as it is, single handedly scared me out of it.

The second half of the movie was incredibly dark and grim, and I loved every second of it. As the name implies, it's very much loosely based on a modern day Julius Caesar.

Last edited by deoxys; 10-27-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #266
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Against my better judgement I saw Captain America. I was surprised to find on the whole I didn't really hate this movie, for me it was on the level of Green Lantern. Captain America is one of my all-time most hated super-heroes, so that says a lot. This movie was tolerable despite having all the characteristics of something I'd loathe - sensationalism, empty action, tacky romance and demonized enemies. It wasn't as obnoxious as certain other titles, which was definitely enough to placate my rancor.

The part I outright hated, though? The ending. -_-
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #267
Loki

Any explanation as to why Captain America is your most hated superhero?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #268
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Captain American is propaganda incarnate and is the ultimate form of American geocentrism. The stunted, culturally insensitive 1940's world he lived in is jingoist by modern standards, but his character and universe is too rigid to do much with the character without it no longer being about Captain America. I feel that's why Captain America was taken out of World War II for most of his comics, but his very presence brings to mind his origins. You can take Captain America out of the '40s, but you can't take the '40s out of Captain America.

The ending to the movie bugged me because Avengers is cheesy as heck. Yes, so is Justice League (which was pretty well done), and Watchman. But they're still camp to some extent and I can never get over that. I think the costumes is about as much as I can take.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 10-27-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 AM   #269
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Captain American is propaganda incarnate and is the ultimate form of American geocentrism. The stunted, culturally insensitive 1940's world he lived in is jingoist by modern standards, but his character and universe is too rigid to do much with the character without it no longer being about Captain America. I feel that's why Captain America was taken out of World War II for most of his comics, but his very presence brings to mine his origins. You can take Captain America out of the '40s, but you can't take the '40s out of Captain America.
I completely agr--

Quote:
Avengers is cheesy as heck
...BLASPHEMY!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #270
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
You can take Captain America out of the '40s, but you can't take the '40s out of Captain America.
This is actually the entire struggle of his character. Just as any Vietnam War veteran returning home after a decade away gave people "future shock" at how their country changed so much and how values and lifestyles have changed.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #271
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Midnight in Paris tonight. First Woody Allen film I've ever seen. It was cute, charming, entertaining ... if I had to compare it with jewelry, it was no Hope Diamond, but it was like that sparkling marble you've got which is only worth 25’ yet you find special. It was a good film. A must-see, no, but neither was it a waste of time.

Recommended to: aspiring writers, dreamers
Recommended to avoid: Tea Partiers
Old 11-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #272
deoxys
Fog Badge

The Muppets.

Just go. Trust me. Movie of the fucking year.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #273
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Was turned off by "Faaaart shoes! " in the TV commercial. Seems like a Muppets Treasure Island-style film, not a Muppets Take Manhattan-style film like it's been trying to pass itself off as. Don't get me wrong -- I love Muppet Treasure Island, got it as an adult and it's also the only Muppet film I own -- but ... fart shoes? Seriously, Frank?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #274
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Muppet Christmas Carol is one of my favourite Christmas movies of all time (along with Die Hard) and MTI is definately somewhere in my Top 20 films.

So I'll have to check it out.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #275
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Was turned off by "Faaaart shoes! " in the TV commercial. Seems like a Muppets Treasure Island-style film, not a Muppets Take Manhattan-style film like it's been trying to pass itself off as. Don't get me wrong -- I love Muppet Treasure Island, got it as an adult and it's also the only Muppet film I own -- but ... fart shoes? Seriously, Frank?
They were whoopie cushion shoes and it was Fozzie. Happened in maybe three scenes for a grand total of about 15 seconds altogether.

Wasn't at all akin to Muppet Treasure Island. I'd put it on par with the first muppets movie mixed with "where are they now" They actually make several references to it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment