UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #76
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
The fucking shit is an Inzektor and a Wind-Up?
Don't ask, because I don't want to know.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #77
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I notice how nobody's talking about Synchros, which makes me laugh because Synchros are far faster with 3-4 imbedded combos compared with your "broken" cards.

Then again it seems like I was the only person on the whole forum who watched 5D's. :P
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #78
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I notice how nobody's talking about Synchros, which makes me laugh because Synchros are far faster with 3-4 imbedded combos compared with your "broken" cards.

Then again it seems like I was the only person on the whole forum who watched 5D's. :P
I watched 5Ds. Every goddamn episode. Even cried at the finale.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #79
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:

I literally thought about literally flipping a table when I first heard about card games on motor bikes the card game.

How... how could you!?

I'm not talking about Synchros because I only just found out what they were about two months ago and it filled me with conflicted feelings due to it sounding like a steroid induced Polymerization/Fusion monster, but with the whole "NEW! Monster type! SYNCHRO CARDS!" that it seemed Konami had tacked all over as a selling point

Last edited by deoxys; 02-18-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #80
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I now realize that because it takes me hours to write one sentence, someone actually did bring up Synchros before my post actually went through.

We also have a user named Tuner.

Wow.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #81
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

>Synchros as a milked selling point

And then came the Xyz...
Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #82
deoxys
Fog Badge

I stopped watching Yu-Gi-Oh! after the first season of GX, and even then I shouldn't have gotten that far. I loved the first series and actually never watched any of Forbidden Memories, opting instead to read the Millenium World manga counterpart, though I still think the "Orichalcos" saga was one of the best seasons in any childhood anime at the time.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #83
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

5Ds was amazing for a Yugioh series. Dare I say better than the original. Though Orichalcos was pretty good.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #84
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
>Synchros as a milked selling point

And then came the Xyz...
Don't. I'm done raging on it for the night. I think what pissed me off most is I couldn't go to Kmart, Walmart, Toys R Us, Target, wherever, without seeing a bigass sign for the NEW XYZ MONSTERS ARE HERE COLLECT THEM ALL BUILD THE STRONGEST DECK EVERRRRRRR
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #85
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
5Ds was amazing for a Yugioh series. Dare I say better than the original. Though Orichalcos was pretty good.

BLASPHEMY.

I refuse to believe that or even watch it just because of how HORRIBLE the premise is.

Card games.

On motorcycles.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #86
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I literally thought about literally flipping a table when I first heard about card games on motor bikes the card game.

How... how could you!?

I'm not talking about Synchros because I only just found out what they were about two months ago and it filled me with conflicted feelings due to it sounding like a steroid induced Polymerization/Fusion monster, but with the whole "NEW! Monester type! SYNCHRO CARDS!" that it seemed Konami had tacked all over as a selling point
Synchros aren't Fusions on steroids, they're Fusions on amphetamines. The ability to activate trap or monster cards from your deck, graveyard and hand and chain them into summons or effects really, really sped up the game-play and made the old style of play look really slow and cumbersome.

To me, it felt like playing 1990's Magic the Gathering against an artifact deck with Skullclamp and Ornithopters. I had a trusty black card destruction deck that was completely overwhelmed by Mirrodin+ artifact decks. It was cool, but I felt marginalized.

I bet a lot of YGO card players did too.

Also, 5D's was uniformly better than the original series (including Egypt arc) until the end, where it nose dived in the finale.

And for all the hype of Synchros revolutionizing game-play, they were immediately replaced by ZeXal's stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #87
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Hydreigon

Quote:
Don't. I'm done raging on it for the night. I think what pissed me off most is I couldn't go to Kmart, Walmart, Toys R Us, Target, wherever, without seeing a bigass sign for the NEW XYZ MONSTERS ARE HERE COLLECT THEM ALL BUILD THE STRONGEST DECK EVERRRRRRR
All because Takahashi rikes money.

Quote:
BLASPHEMY.

I refuse to believe that or even watch it just because of how HORRIBLE the premise is.

Card games.

On motorcycles.
Once you get past the rediculousness of CARDGAMES ON MOTORCYCLES, it was rather well done. Bit of a dark, mature feel along with well used subplots and an ever worse villain appearing after we thought the big bad was finally gone.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #88
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

>Also, 5D's was uniformly better than the original series (including Egypt arc) until the end, where it nose dived in the finale.

You mean Original Japanese finale or 4Kids finale? 4Kids made it suck by ending it after tha Aporia duel. Original finale was just the average rival battle, but was still good. Particularly the final scene.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #89
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sounds like I shouldn't judge, considering my enjoyment of MLP...

but card games. On motorcycles. Having a serious plot. I don't know... My head is full of fuck.

And seriously, the fuck is ZeXal? I took one look at the animation and such and it looked horrible. The premise said it was supposed to be for newbies or something. ಠ_ಠ
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #90
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Every duel Aporia participated in was incredible. What was even more amazing was his second duel after being defeated the first time was even more exciting and dramatic than the first.

YGO duels are usually pretty contrived, but that second duel managed to get around that problem by being off the wall electrifying. Literally.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #91
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

>And seriously, the fuck is ZeXal? I took one look at the animation and such and it looked horrible. The premise said it was supposed to be for newbies or something. ಠ_ಠ

Yep. The kid is younger than Yugi was. Supposedly so fans can relate better. It sucks major ass though. Yet I still watch it from time to time. Odd.

>Doppel

Aporia did have some crowning moments of awesome. 4Kids was a dick and didn't even show the second duel, ending the series after the first. They should've let the kids see thst shit. They could have learned that they can be great android duelists one day. Just like Aporia.

Last edited by kusari; 02-18-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #92
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The girl is really cute in a non-pedo way, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #93
deoxys
Fog Badge

I have an incredibly hard time believing any duel from the show could be jaw dropping as you suggest

Maybe 13 year old me, but... I tried rewatching the whole second season again recently and I couldn't help but laugh any time Yugi mentioned something about "this is about saving the world" or the hilariously terrible situations they'd fall into during duels (Arcana and the saws that were going to chop off the loser's legs, and Yami being trapped in the metal cage during the fight with the mime, or even the time Mai was trapped in the Lava Golem's neck cage.)

It was good storytelling, but utterly ridiculous. It parodied itself. How has that changed? Even GX's duels were terribad.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #94
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
The girl is really cute in a non-pedo way, though.
Assuming you're talking about Kotori as Akari is the only other main female as is out of pedo age range. In which case, yes. Very cute. No pedo.

>Deo

Watch any 5Ds duel from the final match of the WRGP onwards. All of them are rather good.

Last edited by kusari; 02-18-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #95
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm going to sleep. But wow. This is the most active topic we've had in a very long time. Almost a hundred posts in less than three hours?

Sheesh!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #96
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
I have an incredibly hard time believing any duel from the show could be jaw dropping as you suggest
Almost all the duels in 5D's are better than the ones featured in GX or DM. From what I've been told, GX is the show closest to the actual TCG in terms of archetype and mechanics, while DM is the furthest from with all its supernatural embellishments. 5D's is a fusion of the two, and uses the strengths of both to great effect.

Quite literally, at one point in the WRGP, you find yourself cheering for the opponents of the heroes. That's how strong 5D's writing can be.

I think DM only gets the edge because it has the more iconic characters, and Yami Yugi/Atem's development was back-loaded to the point of the entire series building up to it. With such a complex and interesting character, his arc kind of overshadows the flaws of the early parts in the story.

There isn't a comparable character in 5D's, but all the characters, even some temporary guys, get significant character development and are fleshed out enough to be called characters and not space fillers.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #97
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Would you recommend watching 5D's? Is it still as horribly cheesy as the original (English) series?

On another note people should go and read CyberCommander's Yu Gi Oh stories that don't involve Yugi Jr.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #98
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Would you recommend watching 5D's? Is it still as horribly cheesy as the original (English) series?
Less camp, but it has its eyebrow raising attributes, like the premise. But in the YGO world dueling is sort of like religion, which real-life people pass off as ridiculous. Get past that idea and it's really cool and awesome, with some crowning moments of funny. Also a lot of references to the TCG and previous anime (one of the main adult characters was Yugi's bully in high school).

Go with the sub if you can find it. I was a friend of the translator and might be able to help locate episodes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 02-18-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #99
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
On Eternal Duelist Soul (YGO 5?) for the GBA, I used to run a mean Maha Vailo deck. IRL, the only Yu-Gi-Oh cards I own are the ones that came with that GBA game (Angel Dice, Skull Dice, and some other card) and then the old school Yugi and Kaiba pre-constructs that I purchased in 2007 when YGO fever flared back up. In other words, I don't own shit. But digitally, I had an awesome deck.
Same, man (except online rather than on GBA). I am not a fan of spending money.

Quote:
Graceful Charity has been banned for quite some time if I recall correctly.

As has been said in the TO, I played a cliche Burn deck years ago, then switched to Nurse Burn for a while. After that came trying out other cards that people who follow the meta like a religion said I was retarded for using just because they were anti-meta. That lead to my extreme disdain for meta and my quitting the game. Though as of late, I'm considering casually playing again. Won't touch competitive play.

Also, I hate the Xyz mechanic. Who's with me?
Yay burn deck. I played a burn deck back in the day with stuff like Lava Golem and whatnot. I wasn't very good with it but it was fun.

Quote:
To me, it felt like playing 1990's Magic the Gathering against an artifact deck with Skullclamp and Ornithopters. I had a trusty black card destruction deck that was completely overwhelmed by Mirrodin+ artifact decks. It was cool, but I felt marginalized..
Woo Mirrodin! I got into Magic just as that block was first released and lost interest just before Kamigawa started. God I remember Skullclamp. And Disciple of the Vault was awesome.

Quote:

Maybe 13 year old me, but... I tried rewatching the whole second season again recently and I couldn't help but laugh any time Yugi mentioned something about "this is about saving the world" or the hilariously terrible situations they'd fall into during duels (Arcana and the saws that were going to chop off the loser's legs, and Yami being trapped in the metal cage during the fight with the mime, or even the time Mai was trapped in the Lava Golem's neck cage.)

It was good storytelling, but utterly ridiculous. It parodied itself. How has that changed? Even GX's duels were terribad.
I agree. It was funny more than anything else (I think I watched up to the end of the Orichalcos arc?) Battle City was my favourite arc though, I think.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #100
Torkoal Stu
This

Ahhh, good call on making a YGO thread Deo~ : D

I used to be such a hardcore Yu-Gi-Oh-er, but then as I started to actually need to save money and the game got revolutionised to the point where I couldn't keep up. Then I grew out of it quite a bit and my life got too hectic to ever have time to ever keep up with new packs and the new series' and all of that. But I still have loads folders of cards lying around at home (like my childhood home, not my university one) and my favourite episodes of the original and GX (original subbed all the way, I can't stomach either of the dubs that well anymore) on my laptop.

And I've written a fair few YGO-based fanfictions in my time [/ultracool]
I wonder if I still have any on my computer, I'll have to look later~

Oh the memories~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
On Eternal Duelist Soul (YGO 5?) for the GBA, I used to run a mean Maha Vailo deck. IRL, the only Yu-Gi-Oh cards I own are the ones that came with that GBA game (Angel Dice, Skull Dice, and some other card) and then the old school Yugi and Kaiba pre-constructs that I purchased in 2007 when YGO fever flared back up. In other words, I don't own shit. But digitally, I had an awesome deck.
If I ever play I solely play on consoles. Collecting the cards are too expensive and time consuming. I have the first 3 Tag Force PSP games. Which due to the PSP's vastly superior memory to the DS have not only essentially all the printed cards ever, they also have extra room for cards that were anime only and never printed. Incredible set of games. They have a 4th and 5th based around 5Ds now I believe.

The GBA/DS YGO games always lacked in the card department for me. So it's PSP ones all the way. Although I do own a collection of the GBA/DS ones. And a PS2 Game, which was hilarious. And the Tag Force games have a solo duel option so it's not all entirely Tag Duels (so you get the best of both worlds + literally thousands of cards to choose from). I really need to find my PSP when I go home and boot it up again.

Quote:
I see Butterfly Dagger - Elma is still banned. That card + Magical Marionette = instant win with ∞ attack points. My friend ran that deck back in the day.
And the Butterfly Dagger - Elma, Gearfried The Iron Knight and Royal Magical Library combo. Meaning you keep equipping Gearfried with the Dagger, it gets destroyed, lands a spell counter on Library due to a spell card being activiated. Then when you have 3 Spell Counters on Library you can remove them to draw 1 card. So you can keep repeating until 1) you draw into Exodia, 2) have enough cards and options to essentially finish off your opponent in a different way.

Quote:
I'm with you. Fuck this franchising of the XYZ Dragon Cannon into a whole slew of fucking monsters. It pissed me off almost as much as the "Elemental Hero" phase. No, it pissed me off more. It was stupid as fuck... When I found out about that I faceplamed hard.
They really need to let Elemental Heroes die. I mean like, at first they were a somewhat cool, but not particularly good group of cards and some fusions. Then they have like a million different combinations, and then Neo Spacians which somehow then combined with Elemental Heroes...and then it just went further downhill.

Quote:
I watched 5Ds. Every goddamn episode. Even cried at the finale.
5Ds is where I stopped watching YGO. I think I got to the start of the Dark Signer Arc? I loved it up until that point though. But it was literally as I was finishing college and starting university and I just ran out of time to keep going with it.

Quote:
I stopped watching Yu-Gi-Oh! after the first season of GX, and even then I shouldn't have gotten that far. I loved the first series and actually never watched any of Forbidden Memories, opting instead to read the Millenium World manga counterpart, though I still think the "Orichalcos" saga was one of the best seasons in any childhood anime at the time.
I dunno. In my opinion GX get's a lot of unfair criticism to be honest.

The first series of GX was easily the worst, it was essentially 52 episodes of Judai (the main character if anyone wants to know) dueling pretty much everyone with a few episodes of the other characters slotted in where appropriate. But in Seasons 2 and 4 they actually started focusing on other characters like Sho, Jun, Asuka, Kenzan, Edo, Ryo etc. and they made some decent villains. I leave out Season 3 here because basically they introduced some new characters in that series which basically took over and it became Judai + New Characters with little bits of everyone else. But even then Season 3 had a pretty good plot story. Then for Season 4 they really brought it back to it's roots and finished (many of the) unresolved elements from the first 3 seasons.

I will be the first to admit though that it had this really horrible habit of ignoring characters and unevenly pacing stories and using quite a lot of cheap plot devices or story misfires in general. It definitely had it's flaws. But it had a lot of heart and a lovely charm. Sho (the 'best friend' character) by the end of the series had gone totally full circle, I think he as a character is what really sold GX to me in the end.

The ending of GX was, quite frankly, shit though. But I definitely feel it made up for all of it's Judai-whoring and shitty character handling by the end of it though. Although some characters, like Misawa, where ultimately just left to rot and never ever redeemed/focused on/resolved in any real way at any point in the series. But I dunno, maybe I'm just biased towards it and quite protective of it as a series?

Sidenote: The GX Manga has much better plot, story-telling and character-handling
in general. So people should check that out if they can.

Quote:
BLASPHEMY.

Card games.

On motorcycles.
Yeah the premise is quite awful. And the motorcycles were the worst part of the bit I've watched. But there are some pretty great characters in it and I remember the score being really good (I tend to really judge shows based upon their score). So it's definitely at least worth checking out.

Quote:

I think thats part of the reason I love it as a franchise. Because it is presented seriously but obviously doesn't even take itself seriously. I'll never forget in that duel where Mai was chained up by those cards that were like handcuffs? Utterly ridiculous, but hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I agree. It was funny more than anything else (I think I watched up to the end of the Orichalcos arc?) Battle City was my favourite arc though, I think.
Battle City is definitely the best part of the original anime. Though, the final saga was pretty good too.

And I haven't even watched this new series. I've seen like pictures and read a bit about it, but like it just seems completely alien to me. Like an entirely different franchise. I plan to finish 5Ds at some point though, but I probably will never attempt to watch this crazy new one.

Last edited by Torkoal Stu; 02-18-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment