UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
President's Day Sucks

Colleges don't recognize it as a holiday, but state/federal organizations and banks do. I am starving to death and went to the bank to get money to buy food, and it's closed.

Worst holiday since time immemorial.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Than get a Queen's/King's Day like here
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Colleges don't recognize it as a holiday, but state/federal organizations and banks do. I am starving to death and went to the bank to get money to buy food, and it's closed.

Worst holiday since time immemorial.
If you have a bank account, you should have a debit card. And that debit card should ...
1) allow you to withdraw money from your account via an ATM
2) function as a pseudo-credit card, as most modern debit cards do, allowing you to swipe it through a grocery's checkout's card reader and pay for your groceries in that manner.

The only reason these wouldn't apply to you would be if you a) don't carry your debit card with you (wth) or b) use it so rarely that you've managed to forget your PIN.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The ATM is within the bank facility. Locked door, no ATM access.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The ATM is within the bank facility. Locked door, no ATM access.
I'm not sure where you live exactly, but there aren't many banks in this world which have an ATM and which only have it indoors. Almost every single bank I've ever seen either a) has both indoor and outdoor ATMs or else b) exclusively has outdoor ATMs. You might want to look around the other side of the bank the next time you visit: a drive-thru ATM might be stationed there built into the back wall or side wall, and there's absolutely nothing stopping you from using it as a carless pedestrian. Alternatively, you might want to look for ATMs in your city by Googling for them.

Putting that aside, my point about the "debit card as a pseudo-credit card" still stands. All modern groceries and supermarkets have card swipe machines, and all of these machines now take debit cards as well as credit cards. The only caveat is that you have to enter your PIN. If you don't want to do that for security reasons, then this won't help you; but, I can't help to be a little frustrated by that if that's the case. ^^; "I refuse to use my debit card with the grocery's card swipe machine; and I maintain that there are no outdoor ATMs within a 30-minute walking distance of where I live; therefore, I was screwed by this federal holiday." That's basically what you'd be telling me. And that's just ... for the latter, very hard to believe, and for the former, very vexing if you're going to maintain that you've been locked out of your cash for the weekend.

It doesn't really matter now that it's already Tuesday. You really should have come to us with this complaint first thing yesterday. Then we might've been able to help you get food in your belly one day sooner. But I assume you've already obtained some food, so in the end, all's well that ends well. And you've learned a valuable lesson for the future.

https://locator.chase.com/indiana/lafayette/ <-- there are roughly 30 ATM locations for my bank in the cities of Lafayette & West Lafayette. From personal experience, I know of at least three within a 5-minute walk of campus. One is stationed in a dorm lobby (which should be open 24/7 during the school year because students live there), one is stationed in the student union (which likewise isn't locked during the school year), and one is located in a small Chase office near the intersection of State and Northwestern. (It has an indoor ATM that would be inaccessible on federal holidays but it also has a regular outdoor ATM situated on the corner as well as a drive-thru ATM on the side of the building you could use if the first one were broken and you were desperate.) Not sure whether you live on campus or not and not sure, if off campus, how you get to school each day -- but I know you must, and so it's hard for me to imagine that you couldn't find one of your ATMs at your school. Not literally in the building you have your classes in, but somewhere on campus.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Your bank's card (which I also imagine is now a debit card) is usually used as a key to get into the bank. Like a slot next to the door. You slip it in, the door buzzes you in, you get access to the ATMs.

Unless you live in total 30 years ago town, because my parents have been doing that since the 90s.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Your bank's card (which I also imagine is now a debit card) is usually used as a key to get into the bank. Like a slot next to the door. You slip it in, the door buzzes you in, you get access to the ATMs.

Unless you live in total 30 years ago town, because my parents have been doing that since the 90s.
We don't have anything like that in suburban Indiana. [/30yearsagotown]
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Loki

/sigh

Okay fine past America! You can just use a normal ATM found at gas stations or stores or whatnot. I can't believe that your town doesn't have a non-bank ATM unless you're literally living in nowheresville.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I'm not sure where you live exactly, but there aren't many banks in this world which have an ATM and which only have it indoors. Almost every single bank I've ever seen either a) has both indoor and outdoor ATMs or else b) exclusively has outdoor ATMs. You might want to look around the other side of the bank the next time you visit: a drive-thru ATM might be stationed there built into the back wall or side wall, and there's absolutely nothing stopping you from using it as a carless pedestrian. Alternatively, you might want to look for ATMs in your city by Googling for them.
Technically speaking, the bank doesn't consider it indoors. There's an "outer lobby" and an "inner lobby" where you normally get to speak to live tellers or bank reps. That area closes at like 4:00 PM, and the whole building closes down an hour later.

It's the only bank of its kind in the entire city - it's also the regional HQ. There are tellers elsewhere, but they are non-specific for this bank and I get charged a big fee for taking money out of a non-PNC teller. They're also 15 miles away.

Quote:
Putting that aside, my point about the "debit card as a pseudo-credit card" still stands. All modern groceries and supermarkets have card swipe machines, and all of these machines now take debit cards as well as credit cards. The only caveat is that you have to enter your PIN. If you don't want to do that for security reasons, then this won't help you; but, I can't help to be a little frustrated by that if that's the case. ^^; "I refuse to use my debit card with the grocery's card swipe machine; and I maintain that there are no outdoor ATMs within a 30-minute walking distance of where I live; therefore, I was screwed by this federal holiday." That's basically what you'd be telling me. And that's just ... for the latter, very hard to believe, and for the former, very vexing if you're going to maintain that you've been locked out of your cash for the weekend.
I wouldn't use my card for debit since I get charged for it, but yeah I think in an emergency situation I could get it swiped. The problem is the nearest grocery store is a 4 mile walk uphill, which I can do if I wasn't starving to death.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter now that it's already Tuesday. You really should have come to us with this complaint first thing yesterday. Then we might've been able to help you get food in your belly one day sooner. But I assume you've already obtained some food, so in the end, all's well that ends well. And you've learned a valuable lesson for the future.
I got to cook something, but I'm going through an even worse hell than the day before. I don't say that word lightly, so you could imagine.

I got a note two days ago saying that the fire alarms were going to be checked yesterday from 10:00-11:00 AM. Well, the company to check them out didn't come yesterday, and coincidentally my class was cancelled for today. So I come back and the alarms are still blazing at 12:00 AM.

Turns out that the fire alarm company learned that in anticipation of the annoyance, a huge number of residents disabled their fire alarms. This is illegal, and hard to do (I tried during an accidental trigger a few months ago) and the dudes were pissed. We got a notice that said that the company is going to do another drill/test on Thursday AND Friday because of the failed drill the first time. And to spite us, they've left the alarms on and gone home.

So, for three hours I've been hearing the most painful noise. My ears are bleeding red, because the stupid sound goes through my jaw (painful) into my ear. Blocking my ears with the headphones and towels can only help so much. The sweet sound of IM@S can't even drive out the pain.

So, why not leave? I did leave and the alarm went off as soon as I stepped out. -_- When I came back, it turned on.

Right now, I've barricaded the bathroom and turned on the shower to scatter the sound as much as possible. I'm worried about what the water could do to the electronics but I don't really care right now. It's maddening I tell you!

Give me starvation over this! ;_;
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That sounds very illegal. I would rip the unit out of the wall / off the ceiling in your position. The inspectors aren't going to be back until Thursday, so there's no reason to leave the unit plugged in thru to Thursday morning before you leave for class. Plug it in then and head out. Stay out till 5pm or so. Come back and unplug it. Rinse and repeat for Friday.

They can't make you leave a loud high-pitched alarm going for the next 72 hours. That's a public disturbance for your neighbors and it's deafening for you. Could even be argued as a cause for hearing loss if it's loud enough and your exposure prolonged enough. Exercise some common sense and disarm it, Doppel.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Loki

How ironic if the building were to burn down now.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
That sounds very illegal. I would rip the unit out of the wall / off the ceiling in your position. The inspectors aren't going to be back until Thursday, so there's no reason to leave the unit plugged in thru to Thursday morning before you leave for class. Plug it in then and head out. Stay out till 5pm or so. Come back and unplug it. Rinse and repeat for Friday.

They can't make you leave a loud high-pitched alarm going for the next 72 hours. That's a public disturbance for your neighbors and it's deafening for you. Could even be argued as a cause for hearing loss if it's loud enough and your exposure prolonged enough. Exercise some common sense and disarm it, Doppel.
It's not just my alarm, but all the alarms in the building. And, there are three within my access: one in my room, two in my living room and one in my roomate's room. I can't open his door so even if I wanted to, I couldn't get to it.

I don't think the inspectors are going to leave this as-is. They've got to come in. Not to mention, as I was lead to understand, they are going into each room individually and disabling the alarms. So, if I get caught trying to disable it, I'm going to get fined and I'd rather not throw my lot with the fudgetards who disabled theirs before today. I'm definitely going to complain about this because it's nightmarish.

Once things cool down outside I think I'll leave again, but until then it's posts from the pot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
How ironic if the building were to burn down now.
Are you attempting to put ideas in my head? Cause the antsier I get...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Do what I do when life sucks: get hammered.

Oh, shit, I forgot hangovers are a thing for normals. Sorry, nevermind.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't drink enough in one sitting to get drunk anyway. I never let myself go that far because my personality is so focused around control, I don't change at all when close to buzzed, so there's no real benefit and I don't like the idea of alcohol poisoning/impaired judgment/hang-overs.

Multiple people have said if I ever take LSD, it's going to be wretched to watch.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc