UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #51
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
100% against it, but if it happened I'd be OK with it.

Where I object to it is on the grounds of upholding virtue, and perhaps the financial costs of paying for the families of a priest, not because I think children are a terrible idea that will de-sanctify the holy mission.

It's similar to my stance on abortion, I guess. I'm against it philosophically, but for it in practice, but my philosophy is completely different from the RCC's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #52
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So I wrote a few days ago when Cardinal Keith O'Brien made the front page of my BBC newsfeed. Well, the good cardinal is back in the headlines today! Except ... oh wait ... oh, say it isn't so! Now that is pretty funny.

Spoiler: show
Scotland's most senior member of the Catholic Church and outspoken opponent of gay marriage ... incidentally may or may not be gay/bi himself.

How many times do we have to go through this pattern before everyone recognizes it? When someone bullies others because of their homosexuality, there's a good chance that the bully himself is gay but is ashamed of it. Obviously this isn't a 100% true rule that holds for every single anti-homosexuality bully out there -- there are plenty of straight ones -- but good lord at the pattern. It comes up so, so often it's not even funny anymore. Only reason I'm laughing this time is because it was the Archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh who has made a name for himself in recent years for being vehemently opposed to gay marriage.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #53
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I'm glad he was dismissed, this is good.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Cue conspiracy theories that Benedict XVI is culling doctrinal opponents from participating in the election of his successor.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #55
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
Uh-ohs. White smoke has risen. Christians everywhere are puckering their sphincters in anticipation.
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #56
deoxys
Fog Badge

*Catholics.

Spoilers: It's another old white dude.

BORKED
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

^^ And then it turns out they picked Benedict XVI again. "trololol guys. Not only am I the first pope in 600 years to resign from the position, I'm also the first ever pope to be re-elected! HISTORYMAKER, THY NAME IS BENEDICT! >D"

I don't really know who any of the cardinals are, so I guess my interest in the outcome boils down to:
  • younger or older?
  • Caucasian or not Caucasian?
  • more liberal than JPII, more conservative than Benedict XVI, or somewhere in between?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #58
deoxys
Fog Badge

He's a lot younger but still an old dude. And he's white. They haven't announced his name yet.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Of course he's an old dude. That's why I said younger or older and not young or old.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #60
deoxys
Fog Badge

He's not as creepy looking, so there's that...
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #61
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
^^ And then it turns out they picked Benedict XVI again. "trololol guys. Not only am I the first pope in 600 years to resign from the position, I'm also the first ever pope to be re-elected! HISTORYMAKER, THY NAME IS BENEDICT! >D"
Pope's have been re-elected before. One guy (Benedict IX, I believe) was Pope 3 times (although actually I think he may not exactly have been elected the second and third times).

Francis is a cool name of which I approve. Catholics of UPN, whaddya think of the new guy?
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #62
deoxys
Fog Badge

"Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina elected pope"

"Pope Francis"

Go home everyone, it wasn't Peter. Boooo.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Jorge Bergoglio, now known as Pope Francis I

Apparently he's an Argentine. I wonder what Doppel will make of this given that, yes indeedy, it shows the Church is focusing in more on the burgeoning population in Latin America and Africa than on the dwindling population in Europe. I also wonder whether this will have any impact, even the tiniest of footnotes, on Falkland Islands stuff. (I can see the Argentinian government now: "WE HAVE THE POPE ON OUR SIDE, SO GIVE US BACK THE OILFIELDS OUR PRECIOUS HERITAGE ISLANDS! " And then the British response: "Piss off. ")
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #64
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Jorge Bergoglio, now known as Pope Francis I

Apparently he's an Argentine. I wonder what Doppel will make of this given that, yes indeedy, it shows the Church is focusing in more on the burgeoning population in Latin America and Africa than on the dwindling population in Europe. I also wonder whether this will have any impact, even the tiniest of footnotes, on Falkland Islands stuff. (I can see the Argentinian government now: "WE HAVE THE POPE ON OUR SIDE, SO GIVE US BACK THE OILFIELDS OUR PRECIOUS HERITAGE ISLANDS! " And then the British response: "Piss off. ")
Oh god I wouldn't even be surprised.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #65
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakittenyfool View Post
Do popes need to be in the fossil record to be elected?
So apparently one of the youngest ever popes, Benedict IX (the same one Concept mentioned), not only was made pope several times, not only sold the position, but:
Quote:
He reportedly led an extremely dissolute life and allegedly had few qualifications for the papacy other than connections with a socially powerful family. In terms of theology and the ordinary activities of the Church he was entirely orthodox. St. Peter Damian is alleged to have described him as "feasting on immorality"; the anti-papal historian Ferdinand Gregorovius wrote that in Benedict, "a demon from hell in the disguise of a priest... occupied the chair of Peter and profaned the sacred mysteries of religion by his insolent courses." The Catholic Encyclopedia calls him "a disgrace to the Chair of Peter." The first pope said to have been primarily homosexual, he was said to have held orgies in the Lateran palace.

He was also accused by Bishop Benno of Piacenza of "many vile adulteries and murders". Pope Victor III, in his third book of Dialogues, referred to "his rapes, murders and other unspeakable acts. His life as a pope was so vile, so foul, so execrable, that I shudder to think of it."
Apparently another young pope, John XII, also led a life fraught with activities which have earned him a blackened reputation in the annals of history.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #66
Mercutio
Banned

Not that I'm huge fan of the Catholic Church, but this is a fairly good appointment all told, it seems to me. He's got his flaws but it's good to see someone from Latin America ascend to the room of tears.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #67
deoxys
Fog Badge

So Pope Francis has a master's degree in Chemistry. In other news, crystal meth sales skyrocket in Vatican City.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #68
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

We'll have to see what he does in office of course, but I'm ok with this so far. Conservative Pope = good for Catholicism.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #69
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Looks like Talon's predictions of a Benedict puppet are unfounded. This Pope doesn't look like he'd get easily pushed around. Course, only time will tell.

Interestingly enough, he only has one lung, having lost the other as a young man. He is also a Jesuit, which makes him a weird balance of social conservative and fiscal liberal. Expect him to aid the poor in the spirit of Francis of Assisi.

Still no gay marriage, which is kind of meh. The Vatican will get around to it eventually, I am sure. Baby steps. I doubt the church will ever get behind abortions, even though they are beginning to advocate for condom usage (STI prevention).
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I keep hearing people compare him with Francis of Assisi, but wouldn't the more appropriate Francis be Francis Xavier? I believe I even read one pundit online make that very claim ("he's less Francis of Assisi and more Francis Xavier"), but I've no real idea what either man's personality, life practices, and beliefs are believed to have been like, which is to say, I have no handle on how the two men differ other than that Francis Xavier is the mega-famous Jesuit missionary who went to (amongst other lands) Japan whereas Francis of Assisi is one of Italy's patron saints (and, I am reminded, is associated with the establishment of the Franciscan Order. Gee, I wonder where they got the idea for that name from. ).
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #71
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Apparently he's an Argentine. I wonder what Doppel will make of this given that, yes indeedy, it shows the Church is focusing in more on the burgeoning population in Latin America and Africa than on the dwindling population in Europe.
He's Argentinian by nationality, but Italian by blood. I hadn't heard that he was a contender in the previous conclave but like Bill Clinton, I feel he's got a lot of credentials that make him an appealing symbol for the church. Hailing from a South American country, while having strong roots in Europe, definitely paint a picture of a "bridge" between two different Catholic worlds.

IMV, I think Pope Francis was intended to be a transition/puppet pope, but in choosing the name Francis he's quite boldly announcing that he intends his papacy to be a ball-buster. I don't doubt that his top priority is going to be faith formation in the third world (which I mentioned to earlier as a fear) but if he lets the hammer fall on the sex abuse scandals, and the Jesuits have always been strict on adherence to law and tradition, his papacy will already be successful without having to make decisions on the liberal church issues.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #72
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
So Pope Francis has a master's degree in Chemistry. In other news, crystal meth sales skyrocket in Vatican City.
Spoiler: show
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #73
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Bad news guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
IMV, I think Pope Francis was intended to be a transition/puppet pope
Presumably it's become harder to do this, with life expectancy having gone up (particularly amongst those with the incredible financial backing of the Vatican for healthcare needs etc) and 85-90 no longer being exactly unusual and yet them typically still choosing from amongst the sub-80 year old voting cardinals. Even with them picking a guy in his mid-seventies I'd be surprised if he survives for noticeably short of a decade from now.

Having a "transition Pope" that lasts for a decade defeats the point a bit. Honestly I always thought that Benedict was supposed to be a stalling option who ended up surviving longer than anticipated, and him knowing this is what caused him to step down. If the Catholic Church wanted to grow its numbers, he wasn't a good choice (Francis looks much better, I heartily approve).

Last edited by Concept; 03-14-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #74
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

http://www.theonion.com/video/pope-f...resigns,31660/

The Onion doesn't seem to be satirizing as much as making humorous observations. They could do better than Pope Insanity.

This is also most excellent. http://www.salon.com/2013/03/12/take...clave_partner/

(Lol phone + links = super lazy)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #75
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm surprised there weren't any StarCraft interpretations.

"En taro, adun!"

"Adun, toridas."
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc