UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Everyone who replies and shares some UPN related story (how you got here, funny stuff, etc)
How I got to UPN #1: I had searched for Pokemon websites back in the spring of 1999 and had found Jaxel's website, http://www.upnetwork.com/ . I bookmarked it for later reference. Then, some months later on July 13, I re-opened the site and discovered that there was now a webforum where people could sign up for free to talk about their love of all things Pokemon. Decided not to sign up for silly reasons, agonized over it, and signed up the next day. Rest is history that's more-or-less explained in my UPN Wiki bio.

UPN #2: Was already there. "Found it" by just trying to sign in.

UPN #3, #4: Ditto.

UPN #5: Seraph Koji's EZBoard, a.k.a. Kojiro's UPN Refufe, a.k.a. UPN Refuge or "The Refuge". Found it by special invite via AIM from Kojiro, who was trying to pass the word along to as many displaced UPNers as possible.

UPN #okay no more numbers

UPN Chaka: Chaka's UBB. I loved UBB. But how the heck did Chaka come to be the head honcho? Kinda weird. *shrug* Oh well, she had the most wicked color scheme ever. Romulan black with dark and light turquoise trim. Really miss that color scheme. Don't remember much else about this time period except that Chaka and Koji were dating but then broke up and that Chaka was good friends online with the old-school super-famous UPNer who went by the username SiN and the old-school not-so-famous UPNer who went by the names Dratsta, Draizuh, etc. (He got mad at me for signing up on Mondo's board once as Kunta because it overlapped with his username at the time and one many remember him by, Junta.)

UPN Kuno #1: Showed up here a little late by Kuno Krew standards, not too late by UPN Old Guard standards though. Hell, most of the Old Guard never migrated over here ever, and the few who have mostly came at the same time as me or after me (latter examples including Roger and KV; dunno about h-jack; only former I can pinpoint would be Lindsay). Some time circa 2002? 2003? It's probably in my UPN bio somewhere.

UPN Kuno #2: okay yeah, no more numbers, I said. Kuno's had a number of "boards" in the old-school sense of OMGNEWLAYOUTANDSTUFF but as far as generations go he's had like two or three, usually demarcated by serious changing-of-the-guard shit like when dami left in 2010 or when Ian G. hacked the site in 2006. So that's the end of that.

=====================================

Random story ... umm ... I dunno, other than what I've already written, you'd probably have to solicit one from me. All the stories that come to mind are stories about other people, not about me. I don't have many "Remember that one time when ...?" moments starring myself. Not on this board, anyway. Not tonight, anyway.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #27
M. M.
Wai Hello Thar

Send a message via AIM to M. M. Send a message via MSN to M. M.
I don't really have as much background as many others do on UPN. Although, like a couple of others, I came here through PASBL. I'm not quite sure how. I joined SPPf 4 years ago this September. Odd to think about it, really. Although, my 13 year old self somehow founds its way to the PASBL section of Serebii back in April of '09. For some reason I waited for two months for my squad submission to go through, checking every day to see if it had gone through yet. Finally, two days before my birthday, Muyo did my squad and I started ASBing.

A month later, I met I_D. I'm pretty sure he's the one who directed me over here. I began talking with him a lot and joined in on the large MSN chats of long ago, you know, the ones where Kuno would actually stick around for longer than 2 seconds. Anyway, I somehow managed to convince Kuno to battle me in PASBL only a few months after joining, which was pretty awesome in itself. By that time I was pretty much hooked on UPN and PASBL. I spent hours on this site daily and thoroughly enjoyed it. And while I have taken a few hiatuses in the past, I've always been drawn back to the site.

Today it's my most visited website, even when I'm not battling in ASB. It's just an awesome place to hang out with cool friends in TO. And the best part about it is that it's not just for ASB. There are also plenty of other forum sections that I occasionally check out too. UPN is just, well, awesome.
B- Ref Grade
M. M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Let's see, around May last year I joined up in the SPPF ASB. TO 18 was posting pretty well back then and right around that time UPN went down for a few days. When I finally got on I realized how much worse SPPF actually was. Soon after Ethereal that magnificent bastard joined up as A Winter Breeze I was getting familiar with the community. Jeri is 12, Zora is Zora, Kush pesters sexually, Concept makes hilarious drunken posts, and Hana does her thing with the Jumpluffing. I began to ask DaisyInari to join up in the ASB and after roughly six months of constant pestering at school she started up on SPPF. Later I joined Fizzy Bubbles but quickly abandoned it when I found out it was a shopping and gambling simulator.

Then Daisy finally came to UPN and everyone fell in love with her and forgot about me. >>

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]

Last edited by Copygoo; 06-19-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #29
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I love to read the stories of some of the newer members. And by newer members, some people who have been here a few years are still considered new, considering how long I've been here. Not counting my own, my favorite 3 versions of UPN had to be:

#1: Board 3
#2: Chakas
#3: Refuge

The refuge holds a special place since it was so ghetto and reminds me of these forums now. While UPN4 was where I became most well known and posted the most, 3 was my favorite. And Chakas was cool cause it was the coolest kids on UPN all in one place.

>We would post all night until the forums went dead, then move the party over to ICQ, where "WTF Chats" were all the rage.

*OBNOXIOUS BOAT SOUND*

I hated ICQ so much. I only used it to talk to Leto, who, like every other male on UPN at the time, had a crush on her. I was like 15, leave me alone. I was so sad 8~ years ago when I realized a HD I just reformatted was the HD with all the ICQ chats. I remember talking to Jaxel in one and being like :O!!!!!!!! irl.

>the ones where Kuno would actually stick around for longer than 2 seconds.

I would chat if they had more than like 3 people. And also at better times.

>Anyway, I somehow managed to convince Kuno to battle me in PASBL only a few months after joining, which was pretty awesome in itself.

I remember being at work replying to that battle (instead of working). XD

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #30
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I never could remember who that charmas76 guy was.

Or what thread I told him to post in.

Or how he got here. Or how I got here.

Or what happened last night.

Dude, where's my car?

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I also originally came to UPN for FB (under the name lilbluecorsola). Didn't pay much attention to the goings-on around these parts aside from it. On rare occasion I’d lurk the animé forum, particularly zeroing in on the Haruhi Suzumiya threads. However, due to shyness and the fact my overall animé exposure was severely limited due to dial-up restrictions, I never attempted to join in the discussion.

After taking another year-long break from FB, during which my Haruhi fandom was revitalized, I came back to find FB in an extraordinarily (though quite understandably) quiet state of affairs. Restless, I began to poke my head more and more often into the other relatable area of interest. The timing coincided with the commencement of my first year of college - meaning I at last had access to all the shows I'd wanted to watch/catch up on to my heart's content - as well as my dying anticipation to see the Haruhi film at NY Animé Fest in October. I had been secretly stalking the season II thread for news, and chanced upon Loki's lament that only the West Coast received special showings. Seizing the chance to show off Feeling the need to help out a fellow Haruhiist, I made a quick post informing East Coast fans of the NY showing.

My original intent was to fulfill my disciple's duty and be done, but I was cordially received by the community and urged by a certain someone to "lurk less, post more". As I brought up questions and ideas I had always wished to share with others about one of my greatest passions, I found myself eager to carry on these sorts of lively conversations and debates. It was wonderful receiving thoughtful feedback and recommendations for the first time. I became completely hooked on Japanimation once more, and within a few months, I was an accepted regular.

Emboldened by my successful integration into the otaku circle, I intrepidly began to venture into other sections of UPN, which were previously unexplored territory. During this time, I had formed a rapport with Headmaster Kuno himself. Thanks to previous administrative experience that inspired my efforts to corral spam into a proper thread, I was awarded modship to my proud and pleasant surprise. As I get to know the rest of the management committee (as well as other members outside FB), and continue to make my mainstay in the animé forum, I now feel truly at home here. I am proud to finally be able to call myself a fully-fledged member of the UPN Brigade.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 06-19-2011 at 10:33 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #32
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

Might as well contribute a little bit, even though I'm sure plenty of you already know and/or don't care how I ended up over here. My story is pretty unique among the current cohort, I guess. Because I came here as one of those dirty filthy Shippers. I signed up on TPM about ten years ago (ugh) to post in the fanart forum. I made a few friends there and had a lot of fun, but the Shipping forum caught my attention and I decided to share a bit of art there. I was welcomed with open arms and brought into the fold and before I knew it the batshit world of Shipping was my little place to live. By the time I came over to UPN, a whole whole lot of the super srs business had died off (thankfully) and it was just a bunch of weirdos who were friends and liked playing games and chatting together. We played truth or dare, had karaoke sessions and made a whole lot of cow puns for some reason. Those were amazingly fun times and a lot of those people were very dear to me.

There was a lot of crossover between Shipping and ASB then, so I was encouraged very heavily to give it a shot by someone who shall remain nameless. I tried it out, had a horrible time and ran off to hide in my burrow. I was coaxed out to try FB, being told that it wasn't competitive and that I'd be able to have a lot more fun that way. RPGs still seemed way out of my comfort zone and I was hesitant, but I reluctantly gave it a whirl. Again, I had some great times and met some wonderful people.

Since then, I've made a return to ASB that's been a whole lot more to my liking and come out of my shell more... slowly, anyway. I've tried on a bunch of different hats over the years, but I don't really play a specific role anymore. I've found my niche here. I'm not an artist or an FBer or even an ASBer anymore. I'm just a UPNer, and I'm very proud to be. <3

Thanks, Kuno-bb. I'll always be grateful to you for all of this. <3
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #33
Char
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
I never could remember who that charmas76 guy was.

Or what thread I told him to post in.

Or how he got here. Or how I got here.

Or what happened last night.

Dude, where's my car?
Still in my basement.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #34
Lady Kuno

Hey we had a good thread this year. Good jorb.

Everyone should now be able to change their usertitles. Lemme know if something is borked and it doesn't work.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #35
brandan
The Lord of the Derp

How do you change your usertitle?
brandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #36
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Go to User CP, then Edit Your Details on the left sidebar. Should be the first bit under "Optional Information."
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #37
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Uh oh, looks like I missed this year's UPN: The Day. Looks like I'll have to earn that title change next year.

But as for my history...I was banned sometime in mid 2001 from BMG, and had entered a limbo of sorts that I don't remember. I do remember joining Chaka's UPN at some point under a pseudonym, having joined Jaxel's UPN earlier in the year as "Shadow Rider".

At some point Chaka's UPN died, and Kuno's UPN came up. Hissing Arbok, who was one of my officers in Fizzy Bubbles' Team Rocket, advised me to join up. Archaic and Chaka had conspired to kick me out of BMG because of my post count drama - I'd accumulated 4,000+ in two months, and was widely reviled at the time for writing poor quality, short posts. How times have changed.

Archaic was a mod/admin here too, so I didn't want to draw his ire and get banned right off the bat, hence swapping my "Dark Chromium Dragonite" moniker for "Doppleganger" after the fearsome yet harassing monsters from Baldur's Gate. I don't think I actually revealed myself to be DCD until like 4 months after I joined, when I first went into PASBL.

In those old days, I remember Talon ranting about lots of different stuff, Misc being awesome and the Other Anime/Manga forum practically not existing. Frankly, it wasn't until big bad birtha came, then left, then came back and started his suggestion's box that the place really took off. Misc's downfall seemed to correlate with a lot of old members 'leaving" as well.

That Y2K era with the internet was really mystic, both during and in hindsight. It was quite a unique time period. I wouldn't know, but I feel it would be how young persons who were born around the turn of the century saw the Roaring Twenties. A time of change, technology and adventure.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #38
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
I just wrote a lengthy post and misclicked so as I constellation prize I give you...

Spoiler: show
internet wub? D:

But really, thanks everyone for making me feel welcome here. I'm still a newb here though I hope to stick around and soak up some awesomeness.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #39
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
>missed it third year in a row

That is it. I quit.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #40
Lady Kuno

Awww don't quit. I'll be nice and give both of you a title of your choosing, but you won't be able to change it on a whim. Sound good?

Damn I'm so nice and awesome and attractive.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #41
Emp
Volcano Badge

Or you could be really nice and ban him for the greater good? Tehe, Kuno you so awesome

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #42
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
Dammit, second time I miss it, I think. Oh well, next year will bring another chance.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #43
Draizuh
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to Draizuh Send a message via AIM to Draizuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

UPN #5: Seraph Koji's EZBoard, a.k.a. Kojiro's UPN Refufe, a.k.a. UPN Refuge or "The Refuge". Found it by special invite via AIM from Kojiro, who was trying to pass the word along to as many displaced UPNers as possible.

UPN #okay no more numbers

UPN Chaka: Chaka's UBB. I loved UBB. But how the heck did Chaka come to be the head honcho? Kinda weird. *shrug* Oh well, she had the most wicked color scheme ever. Romulan black with dark and light turquoise trim. Really miss that color scheme. Don't remember much else about this time period except that Chaka and Koji were dating but then broke up and that Chaka was good friends online with the old-school super-famous UPNer who went by the username SiN and the old-school not-so-famous UPNer who went by the names Dratsta, Draizuh, etc. (He got mad at me for signing up on Mondo's board once as Kunta because it overlapped with his username at the time and one many remember him by, Junta.)

UPN Kuno #1: Showed up here a little late by Kuno Krew standards, not too late by UPN Old Guard standards though. Hell, most of the Old Guard never migrated over here ever, and the few who have mostly came at the same time as me or after me (latter examples including Roger and KV; dunno about h-jack; only former I can pinpoint would be Lindsay). Some time circa 2002? 2003? It's probably in my UPN bio somewhere.

UPN Kuno #2: okay yeah, no more numbers, I said. Kuno's had a number of "boards" in the old-school sense of OMGNEWLAYOUTANDSTUFF but as far as generations go he's had like two or three, usually demarcated by serious changing-of-the-guard shit like when dami left in 2010 or when Ian G. hacked the site in 2006. So that's the end of that.

=====================================

Random story ... umm ... I dunno, other than what I've already written, you'd probably have to solicit one from me. All the stories that come to mind are stories about other people, not about me. I don't have many "Remember that one time when ...?" moments starring myself. Not on this board, anyway. Not tonight, anyway.
Haha. Memories. PS i was never Junta. In fact i never had another username besides dratsta or draizuh, I had dratini12 originally but i dont think i ever used it on UPN. Im still friends on facebook with SiN and one or two other UPN/BMG goers from way back when such as TenchiOak,Reno etc.
Draizuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork