UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I need games

I have a temporary Amazon PRIME membership I intend to cancel before I have to pay for it. I want to use this time to buy up computer games that I've missed out on over the years.

I'm open to anything provided it's good and online-DRM free. There can be no always online DRM at all because I'm morally against it.

I don't have a mouse or any joysticks, so this needs to be touchpad/keyboard capable.

I've played almost nothing American from 1999-2015, so I'm very open to new and old suggestions. I have little experience with non-niche Japanese games, too.

What BBB has given me so far:

Elder Scrolls Morrowind
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Dark Souls

Any other recommendations?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Dark Souls is an excellent shout. Other things I would highly recommend:
  • XCOM: Enemy Within
  • Rome: Total War (not Rome II)
  • Portal (both 1 and 2)
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Deus Ex (the original)
  • Planescape: Torment
  • The Witness
  • Hitman: Blood Money
Deus Ex is probably my favourite of the list; it was one of the earliest action rpgs with an emphasis on player choice in how to tackle obstacles, and is still one of the most flexible in that regard ever made and also has the benefit of not shoehorning in a heavyhanded binary morality. That said; Deus Ex, Hitman and Portal would all be made easier by mouse over touchpad (although I successfully played Deus Ex through on touchpad without too much hassle I wouldn't recommend it for Portal or Hitman). I also honestly wouldn't recommend trying to play through Dark Souls without a controller of some sort.

Last edited by Concept; 10-31-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I actually have Portal because I downloaded it free during that one promo some time ago. Alas, because it is an FPS, I can no longer play it since I have no mouse.

KOTR would be a bit tough for me to handle, since I already know the big twist and the Sith-Jedi dynamic is my least favourite part of Star Wars. But by extension here I think Loki would recommend Mass Effect and ME 2, which I have not played.

Thanks for the name drops!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

KotOR II is probably better than the original if you're willing to get the restoration mod (which is essentially just designed to make cut content work well enough to restore it); Obsidian really went out of their way to deconstruct the whole Sith-Jedi dynamic and has some of the best written characters in gaming. Unfortunately LucasArts rushed Obsidian horrendously so without the restoration mod the game is pretty buggy and the latter third feels rushed and unfinished because it is.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm willing to do that, although I have to ask if Restoration was the team's original vision, or just a single writer's?

I ask because I have a strained relationship with David Gaider, formerly of BioWare and the lead writer of Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. I also see him listed on the credits of KOTOR.

I liked BG2's main story less than the original BG, for a number of reasons, but I felt like Gaider is a George Lucas. He's got some good ideas, but unrestrained by a creative team around him willing to challenge and edit those ideas, things get a little outrageous.

His Ascension mod for BG2, I felt, was a major step backward from the final story when it actually did alter the storyline. This puts me at odds with most everyone else who played the mod since they almost universally love it, although selection bias is at work here.

So, if the mod is a team thing, I'm for it 100%.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

The mod is fan done but with no fan created content. The release version of KotOR II had a buttload of basically complete content that was on the disc but inaccessible in the game itself - questlines, NPCs and whole areas all with the voice acting, cutscenes etc done. This content is all buggy or broken in some way or another and Obsidian have confirmed that this was cut purely due to time constraints and they simply couldn't make it work in time (LucasArts famously forbade Obsidian from releasing an official fix when they said they wanted to). The restoration mod takes this content and fixes it so things load correctly, the camera doesn't go all to hell etc and then puts the triggers back in so that the content appears where it's supposed to in the game.

Short version: the content was created by the Obsidian team as a whole during the original making of the game, and the fan mod team simply made it functional and accessible.

Last edited by Concept; 10-31-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
The mod is fan done but with no fan created content. The release version of KotOR II had a buttload of basically complete content that was on the disc but inaccessible in the game itself - questlines, NPCs and whole areas all with the voice acting, cutscenes etc done. This content is all buggy or broken in some way or another and Obsidian have confirmed that this was cut purely due to time constraints and they simply couldn't make it work in time (LucasArts famously forbade Obsidian from releasing an official fix when they said they wanted to). The restoration mod takes this content and fixes it so things load correctly, the camera doesn't go all to hell etc and then puts the triggers back in so that the content appears where it's supposed to in the game.

Short version: the content was created by the Obsidian team as a whole during the original making of the game, and the fan mod team simply made it functional and accessible.
That is crazy. Crazy that LucasArts forbade the patch. Crazy that the team couldn't fix it in time for the original release. Crazy that some content broke the game while other, you-would-think-would-be identical content did not break the game. Just crazy all around.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Yeah it's a combination of Obsidian being overly ambitious and LucasArts being overly aggressive - after E3 2004 (in about June) LucasArts pulled the release date forward from spring 2005 to early December 2004 (in time for Christmas), essentially cutting the remaining development time almost in half. Several figures at Obsidian were on their part rather vocal about how annoyed they were at LucasArts for this after the games release. I get the impression that LucasArts were unhappy about being publicly dumped in the shit which probably explains their unwillingness to co-operate with Obsidian on a fix - especially since the game was being very well received even in the state it was released.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

No mouse requirement is weird since most games need even the most basic mouse and a touchpad is pretty awful for gaming. Also, pretty sure some of the games already suggested need a mouse, like Skyrim.

Also, I'm not sure where Amazon Prime expiration comes in when DRM free games are still downloadable from sources like GOG.com.

With that in mind, I'm just going to name games I enjoyed and think you might enjoy, even if they don't 100% meet your mouse-less requirement. Not going to repost anything else that was also suggested.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Cyberpunk Dystonian future with D&D races and magic. Shadowrun Returns isn't the best as it is extremely limited by their early designs and lack of story, but the company quickly learned and made this great follow-up. After you've played this game, you can consider Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

FTL - A rogue-like space adventures that are fairly light on story but strong in gameplay. The random nature of each run of the game keeps it both interesting and challenging, albeit a bit unfair at times. When you can't always have enough money or scraps for the upgrades you want or never find a shop that sells the stuff you want or never find shops at all can be a bummer, but really pushes you to play differently and try every option you have available.

Convoy - The Mad Max 2-esque cousin of FTL set on the ground with vehicles. A bit less unfair as the shops are easier to revisit whereas FTL cuts you off. The game is still pretty challenging.

Legend of Grimrock - Resembling the dungeon crawlers of the old days with modern UI. Good gameplay. Can't comment on story since this game fell onto my backlog due to work and such.

Fallout New Vegas - The best Fallout since Bethesda bought it and with good reason: it was made by the same team that made the original back in Black Isle, except now working for Obsidian. Steam connected though, so if that is against your DRM rule, you might skip it.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Needs to be modded by either a fan patch to fix the bugs unfortunately. Activision threw the game under the bus for various reasons and it wasn't really perfect at launch. I personally use the True Gold Patch, but it's up to you which fixpack you go with. Set in White Wolf's World of Darkness, you play as a newly sired vampire in a modern world. As it uses WoD rules set, leveling up isn't the same as D&D systems. You don't get EXP for kills and you don't really have levels, instead you're awarded points based on how your complete quests to invest into your stats and skills. Invading the warehouse and blowing it up might still get you three points for completion, but sneaking and not killing anyone or being noticed prior to planting the bomb gives you more points. It's a really fun game. Just avoid playing Malkavian the first time though, as it's the most unique experience and can spoil the game for different playthroughs.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #10
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

No offense but if you have an amazon prime membership why would you not buy a mouse with said membership?
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:46 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
No offense but if you have an amazon prime membership why would you not buy a mouse with said membership?
I can't sit upright (like at a workstation) for a prolonged period of time without shoulder pain. It's sequelae to the labral tear I had which was surgically repaired.

I did buy a mouse back in 2013 or so, but when you can't sit upright for more than 3 minutes it was a pain. Post surgery, I can sit upright for closer to 300 minutes but it does get uncomfortable (although not painful) around 30. The main issue is it takes a while for the tension to subside.

I basically have no tables for this reason. Why buy an expensive table when it's little more than decoration?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #12
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Buy a controller that can plug into your computer?
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Controllers are a messy business. When I was really young, I used joysticks and gamepads for things like Tie Fighter, One Must Fall 2097 and Jazz Jackrabbit. But they were expensive, died frequently, and were single use items.

If you could give me something like a mouse, but would be universally usable for games like this (like a mouse), I would consider it. But as-is, most PC games are built for the mouse, the universal controller for the PC. I can't really sit upright for extended periods of time so that's a problem.

Also, I was hoping to spend no more than $200 for all these games. I looked up the Elder Scrolls games and they're $15-20, which is more expensive than I thought. I might end up stealing the ones that are old and just buying the newer, DRM-free ones.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #14
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

All the Elder Scrolls games would be pretty obnoxious to play on touchpad, as would the FPS's I listed (Hitman, Portal). Dark Souls being difficult to start with is near unplayable on anything but a controller.

Honestly though, a USB 360 controller is comparably cheap and can cover pretty much any game that struggles with a touchpad - most natively, a couple might require a third party program to properly configure. Aiming may not be quite as precise as with a mouse but it's perfectly functional. After all stuff like the Elder Scrolls games, Dark Souls, Portal etc were all released on console as well.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #15
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Definitely suggest you get a USB X360 controller if you need a controller for the PC. If you prefer the feel of PS controllers, you can very easily get a PS4 controller to work on PC- the PC will basically recognize the PS4 controller as an Xbox one by most methods - but this does need some level of tech-savviness and it can be annoying if, say, you see Xbox buttons pop up on screen and aren't sure which is the corresponding PS button (especially because lol X).
Old 11-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #16
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Witcher 2 and 3 are great (haven't played the first. Heard mixed things about the combat system and whatnot, but the story is supposed to be fantastic).

Any genres in particular you love/hate?
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm open to anything.

As long as the game doesn't involve long detailed scenes where people describe food as delicious, I'm down with it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games