UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #51
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
So I've always been a Paladin main but I find C'thun interesting, how viable is C'thun Pally?

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #52
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Unfortunately not very. The problem is that Paladin doesn't offer C'Thun support cards like other classes (Druid, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Warlock, Warrior) do. Feel free to try though! Just recenty I saw someone trying C'Thun Shaman. Perhaps if you use a Reno Jackson approach you might be able to pull off a reasonable one.

Alternatively, other popular Paladin options running around are Aggro/Murloc with Steward of Darkshire, Healadin, & N'zoth Paladin.

EDIT: Digging around, I just came across some interesting Paladin decklists:
Reno C'Thun Control
Secret C'Thun
Palazothun (N'Zoth + C'Thun)

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 04-29-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #53
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo77
>Reno C'Thun Control Pally

Oh what fresh hell is this
Apollo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:46 AM   #54
Balmund
'Munds of fun

So, I unfortunately couldn't get past Rank 6 during April season, since I only really start climbing during the final three days. With May rolling in however, and with myself finally unlocking the golden Paladin portrait, I decided to devote this month to climbing up the ladder with Rogue. So far, using N'zoth Rogue has been a great success, and the deck itself is super fun to play with. Here's the decklist if you want to check it out:

Spoiler: show

Last edited by Balmund; 05-02-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #55
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Been having a lot of success with Shaman. He fits my playstyle pretty well; constant options, consistent power scaling, and excellent low-mana support for big scary monsters.

Been having unexpected success with Faceless Behemoth and Eldritch Horror. Throw one of those bad boys out there and pump it up with low-cost support spells and monsters. EZPZ wins.

Only issue is it can be hard to draw a bunch of high-power cards to become unstoppable after the initial combo without certain cards that I just don't have. Ancestral Spirit would be sooo good

Anyway so far I'm doing pretty well with Warlock, Shaman, and Mage, but I want to be at least decent with every class.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #56
Balmund
'Munds of fun

I find it hard to imagine Shaman using Faceless Behemoth and Eldritch Horror in Standard when they have access to Flamewreathed Faceless. What's your deck like?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #57
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Any particular reason for Sir Finley in that N'Zoth deck? Not really sure what hero power you're looking for. Other than that the deck looks pretty sweet.

I've just come to the realization that Mill Rogue is gonna be really hard to make since I don't have Blackrock Mountain and Gang Up can only be obtained through there. Think I'll stick to Zoolock for now then. (I did finally get Brann though so he'll be a nice addition to a couple decks, also got Unearthed Raptor and Tunnel Trogg to maybe use sometime)

EDIT: Just pulled Dark Iron Dwarf and Defender of Argus in a pack; it's like Blizzard knows I'm trying to make zoo lmao

Last edited by Apollo77; 05-02-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #58
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo77 View Post
Any particular reason for Sir Finley in that N'Zoth deck? Not really sure what hero power you're looking for. Other than that the deck looks pretty sweet.
It's not about "Sir Finley in N'Zoth" but rather about "Sir Finley in Rogue". The idea is to have the flexibility of choosing a better Hero power to improve certain match-ups. Up against aggro? Get some healing. Freeze Mage? Just gotta Tank Up. Control Warrior being a bully? Just spam the guy button. Need extra burst damage? Get Steady Shot.

The thing about equipping a dagger is that it starts losing its value past the early stages of the game, and Finley allows an extra degree of much needed flexibility in order to improve the deck's winrate. Additionally, the deck itself boasts no weapon synergy at all, so the loss isn't really missed.

Lastly, Finley has ok stats for a 1-drop in Rogue, so it fits the slot quite nicely.

Last edited by Balmund; 05-02-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #59
Zelphon
Caffeinated

4 mana 7/7

:c

Old 05-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #60
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmund View Post
It's not about "Sir Finley in N'Zoth" but rather about "Sir Finley in Rogue". The idea is to have the flexibility of choosing a better Hero power to improve certain match-ups. Up against aggro? Get some healing. Freeze Mage? Just gotta Tank Up. Control Warrior being a bully? Just spam the guy button. Need extra burst damage? Get Steady Shot.

The thing about equipping a dagger is that it starts losing its value past the early stages of the game, and Finley allows an extra degree of much needed flexibility in order to improve the deck's winrate. Additionally, the deck itself boasts no weapon synergy at all, so the loss isn't really missed.

Lastly, Finley has ok stats for a 1-drop in Rogue, so it fits the slot quite nicely.
Ah, okay, that makes a lot of sense actually.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #61
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
I find it hard to imagine Shaman using Faceless Behemoth and Eldritch Horror in Standard when they have access to Flamewreathed Faceless. What's your deck like?
I don't have access to it!

(*sob* my collection is pitiful)
Old 05-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #62
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

(Shuckle is very new to Hearthstone he is smol and innocent :p )
Old 05-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #63
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I am much the same how do I stone the hearth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #64
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I don't have access to it!

(*sob* my collection is pitiful)
I just got 2 flamewreathed faceless! hurray for the old god quests ;3

So far I'm loving Shaman the most, though Overload is such an irritating mechanic! I never get my Overload minions early when they do the most good. I only ever get them at points strategically determined to disrupt my play pattern the most
Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #65
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
So we got Hearthstone discussion now? I'm down. Might as well join in before we're all ruled by Zoo Lock and Rogue.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #66
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

@Shuckle Managing your overload is really important and you have to take your next turn's play into account before dropping overloads all over the place. Consistency is key.

@Josh Step 1: Download the game :P
(Actually tho best thing to do first is go through the tutorials and unlock all the classes, then try to get each class to level 10 so you get all the basic cards.)

@Kratos But I like my Zoolock ;-;
Old 05-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #67
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KratosAurion View Post
So we got Hearthstone discussion now? I'm down. Might as well join in before we're all ruled by Zoo Lock and Rogue.
Too late. Not to mention the rampant aggro Shaman running around in the ladder. The deck's even more cancerous than old aggro Hunter! D:

Quote:
how do I stone the hearth
I got a couple pieces of advice to get in on the action, and it relates on how to acquire and manage your resources. First and foremost, be sure to complete all quests. For a new player, the hidden quests are as follows:

Complete a game in Play mode - 1 Classic Pack
Get any class to Level 10 - 1 Classic Pack
Disenchant a card - 95 Dust
Unlock every Hero - 100 Gold
Defeat every Expert AI Hero - 100 Gold
Level every class to Level 10 - 100 Gold
Win 5 Games in Practice mode - 1 Classic Pack

Additionally your first Arena run is free, which basically equates to at least a free pack with bonus rewards.

Lastly, WotOG should've given you 3 additional quests:
Win 1 game in Standard - 1 WotOG Pack
Win 3 more games in Standard - 5 WotOG Packs
Win 7 more games in Standard - 5 WotOG Packs

So in total a new player should have early on:
3 Classic Packs
13 WotOG Packs
95 bonus Dust
300 Gold
A free Arena run

In order to make the best use of these resources, you should:
-Disenchant every card not useful in the metagame. These cards are better served as dust in order to help you craft a competent deck. You should focus on building and perfecting a single deck at a time. Spreading your attention and resources among many will leave you further behind and with several mediocre decks.
-Not buy packs with Gold. Always play Arena instead. Even if you suck at arena, you will almost always "break even" at worst, and make a profit on average. Packs cost 100 Gold a piece, and given that Arena runs are 150 Gold to play, if you earn anywhere above 50 gold, you will essentially get a Pack on a discount.
-Look up decklists for cheap and affordable decks to help you ladder with your limited resources, and focus on saving up dust for the value legendaries that'll enable to use of more diverse deck archetypes. The best and easiest to craft decks right now are Aggro/Evolve Shaman, Aggro Paladin, C'thun (Zoo&Druid variants) and classic Zoolock. Other than that, feel free to experiment with whatever you got off your packs.
-Watch players like Kripparrian or Hafu on Twicth or Youtube in order to learn how to draft well and win in Arena. Also watch players like Trump, Kibler and StrifeCro to learn a bit more about Standard.

I would also recommend all new players to check out the following playlist. Not only will it teach you how to build a decent deck with the absolute most basic of cards, but also covers the fundamentals of good hearthstone strategy.

Last edited by Balmund; 05-06-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #68
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Oh yeah speaking of Arena, I learned how to play Arena mostly by watching ADWCTA and Merps (their joint channel is GrinningGoat on Twitch) and using their tier list for cards to help make decision as I built my deck. They're really helpful, so I'd recommend watching them to anyone looking to get into Arena.

EDIT: Just got 10 Wins in Arena for the first time, fucking sweeeeeet

Last edited by Apollo77; 05-05-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #69
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
Quote:
Too late. Not to mention the rampant aggro Shaman running around in the ladder. The deck's even more cancerous than old aggro Hunter! D:

Speaking of how to Hearthstone, I got a couple pieces of advice to get in on the action, and it relates on how to acquire and manage your resources. First and foremost, be sure to complete all quests. For a new player, the hidden quests are as follows:

Complete a game in Play mode - 1 Classic Pack
Get any class to Level 10 - 1 Classic Pack
Disenchant a card - 95 Dust
Unlock every Hero - 100 Gold
Defeat every Expert AI Hero - 100 Gold
Level every class to Level 10 - 100 Gold
Win 5 Games in Practice mode - 1 Classic Pack

Additionally your first Arena run is free, which basically equates to at least a free pack with bonus rewards.

Lastly, WotOG should've given you 3 additional quests:
Win 1 game in Standard - 1 WotOG Pack
Win 3 more games in Standard - 5 WotOG Packs
Win 7 more games in Standard - 5 WotOG Packs

So in total a new player should have early on:
3 Classic Packs
13 WotOG Packs
95 bonus Dust
300 Gold
A free Arena run

In order to make the best use of these resources, you should:
-Disenchant every card not useful in the metagame. These cards are better served as dust in order to help you craft a competent deck. You should focus on building and perfecting a single deck at a time. Spreading your attention and resources among many will leave you further behind and with several mediocre decks.
-Not buy packs with Gold. Always play Arena instead. Even if you suck at arena, you will almost always "break even" at worst, and make a profit on average. Packs cost 100 Gold a piece, and given that Arena runs are 150 Gold to play, if you earn anywhere above 50 gold, you will essentially get a Pack on a discount.
-Look up decklists for cheap and affordable decks to help you ladder with your limited resources, and focus on saving up dust for the value legendaries that'll enable to use of more diverse deck archetypes. The best and easiest to craft decks right now are Aggro/Evolve Shaman, Aggro Paladin, C'thun (Zoo&Druid variants) and classic Zoolock. Other than that, feel free to experiment with whatever you got off your packs.
-Watch players like Kripparrian or Hafu on Twicth or Youtube in order to learn how to draft well and win in Arena. Also watch players like Trump, Kibler and StrifeCro to learn a bit more about Standard.

I would also recommend all new players to check out the following playlist. Not only will it teach you how to build a decent deck with the absolute most basic of cards, but also covers the fundamentals of good hearthstone strategy.
Oh, dear Balmund, this is a great primer for a beginning player! I'm afraid I may have worded my sentence poorly, however.

I've been playing since Season II of Ranked Play (with a rather large hiatus in the middle), yet I'm rather acquainted with Competitive Hearthstone and Ladder Play.

With the dawn of the new Format, you'll see me ladder with Aggro Shaman, N'Zoth Priest, Control Priest, Patron Warrior and Divine Paladin. I'm currently using mostly N'Zoth Priest and Patron Warrior, while looking to build Freeze Mage, N'Zoth Paladin and Mid Range Hunter.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #70
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Oh the beginner's primer wasn't aimed at you, but rather towards the other newer members. Myself, I've been on and off since beta. Currently running Dragon Paladin & N'Zoth Rogue, but I do have Evolve Shaman and C'thun Zoo on the bench if I ever feel like switching it up.

Y'know, I think we should probably try to put everyone's battletag's on the opening post for everyone's reference seeing how many here are still playing this game.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #71
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Sure, mine's Apollo77#1996, add me and watch me suck with my awful decks :p
Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #72
Balmund
'Munds of fun

In other news, just went 12-2 with this insane Shaman draft on Arena.

Spoiler: show

Definitely paid for itself in spades. Lost a game early to a Rogue who had a perfect tempo draft, and even then, only managed to win to a lucky landing of Tinker's Sharpening Oil just as I was one turn away from lethal on board myself.

Second loss was to a Shaman against whom I amusingly had a rematch with right afterwards. Needless to say, revenge was sweet.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #73
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I'm RadiantDawn#21907

... I think.
Quote:
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #74
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Has that Pally card that gives 1 health minions Divine Shield given Magma Rager a place in viability? Literally the first card that came to mind when I saw it.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #75
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Has that Pally card that gives 1 health minions Divine Shield given Magma Rager a place in viability? Literally the first card that came to mind when I saw it.
Nope. Feel free to experiment with it though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games