UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

NY Comic Con 2013

It starts next Thursday, unfortunately tickets were sold out in like March, which super bummed me out since I had a long tradition of buying them in September. Most likely scalpers.

But then my friend who is a huge Transformers fanatic said he would be opening a booth to sell some at the con and asked if I wanted in. I plan to help him open and close shop and mostly wander around with a free 4 day pass. Fuck it, he's getting what he's paying for (I'm getting no $$).

At the same time, this Comic Con will also be hosting Intel Extreme Masters eSports tournament with I believe Starcaft 2 and League of Legends and probably some shooty game (Counter-Strike GO?), so I'll probably be stalking that since some of my favorites will be there.

Comic Guests
Film/TV Guests

This list only got awesome like these last few weeks. It was dead empty about two months ago (also furthering my theory of ticket scalping).

I will most likely dress as Bag-Man again. I may be busy helping my friend a lot. I will hopefully find time to do my stuff or just abandon him.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Loki

Previous Years:

Last year I went one day, this year I'm going 4 days, albeit as a slave worker for my friend's Transformer shop. You can find us at Lunar Toy Store, Booth 1581.

Despite it starting at 3PM today, I'll be going in early today to get stuff done, primarily finish his displays.

I'll post pics tonight if I get back and don't drop dead asleep.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'll be there, of course. :3

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Be sure to take lots of photos. And hopefully this time you won't ask Homeless Guitarist Boba Fett to ask me to suck it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Loki

After agreeing we should all meet up around 9AM and trying to reach the Javits Center, the store owner instead picked me up at 11AM and we got there around noon, leaving us only 3 hours to get the fairly empty booth ready.

After setting up lights, he told me he would handle the transformers and how to display them. So I left and found a place called "Burgers and Cupcakes." I got the Lunch Special of Bacon Cheeseburger, Frieds, and a Drink. THICK BACON. Everything was delicious. Then I had a heart attack and died. They used the defibrillator and I went back to the con for more work >>;;

Flash forward, It's opening time of 3PM and I was in charge of watching people so they don't steal the display units, so I stood around and watched people, telling them not to touch when they did. I took photos when I could.

If only we hired one of these:
Spoiler: show

Security Drone from Portals series.

The man they call Jayne:

Doctor Jones:

A woman with washboard abs:

This is why we do the double-tap!

The Proper Queen of the Seven Kingdoms:

A rookie:

Shortly after this photo was taken, he was killed by a plasma rifle

I'm a total trend setter:

Around 7PM he gave me a break. Which I really needed. I decided that I didn't want to look up where the artists I wanted to find were in the guide, so I went straight to IEM Starcraft 2 Tournament.

Apollo likes Mutalisks:

Redeye (signed my Banshee btw, not on camera):

DRG also likes Mutalisks:

Huk likes Stalkers:
[img]

I also got Liquid TLO's signature, but he was in a rush so no photo. I also got ST_Life's signature but he looked like he was busy as well. I'll get more signatures tomorrow or something. I saw ST_Curious, Kaleris, Smix, and a lot of others hanging out in the lounge area as well as EG_Suppy and EG_Muslim busy with a game and an interview respectively. I also walked up to someone and asked if they were Puck. Turns out he was State. I was so embarrassed I left.

I went downstairs for lunch because it was getting dark and it looked like it might have had been raining. Boy was this a bad idea. A soda was $4. The meal was $9. There's no fucking way that soda costs fucking an extra half. But they wouldn't let me put it back down (fountain drink) and I had to just take it. Luckily I will be reimbursed by the store owner.

After I get back, I found out someone had stolen a display unit while I was away. Not my fault since I wasn't there, but we then decided to up the security by putting glass meant for the bottom of the display which wasn't being used to kind of stand up as a barrier. Was pretty annoying to set up. Still, it was a $100 loss so I can understand wanting the extra security.

Sideswipe/Tigertrack, we hardly knew you:

The stand up robot stayed, the car form was stolen.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

$4 for a soda does sound like a pretty outrageous ripoff. $2.70 is the most I think I've ever seen a fast food restaurant charge for a soda here and that's for the 40-fl.oz. version.

I feel bad for your friend that he had a $100 display unit stolen. What's even worse is that he specifically hired you to do security detail but then the theft happened while (SURPRISE!) you were away from the booth eating dinner. Not picking on your friend, just saying: he should have always kept at least one person at the booth. So like, if it was just you and him (and nobody else), then it should've been Loki going to eat dinner while LokiFriend stays put, and then Loki returns to guard the booth while LokiFriend now takes his turn to eat dinner. Something like that. But it sounds like he left the booth while you were eating and that's when the theft happened. The nerve of some people though. This schmuck goes to a convention to have a fun time ... and then decides he'll fuck someone over by stealing $100 worth of merchandise from their booth? What the fuck. It's too bad the thief wasn't caught in the act, your friend's merchandise restored to him, and the thief banned from NYCC.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Loki

Oh yeah.

BORKED
Or skip to 4:34
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Lady Kuno

I met the voice of Bender/Jake:

And last but not least... The god himself..

Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Loki

Had a few hours to wander and explore. Security was definitely better now that we put some glass to help guard the display units.

Before we got into our own booth, we already encountered some great Cosplay:

SPACE BALLS!!!!

Capcom had a Monster Hunter 3U booth. I was pretty annoyed that 3DS couldn't go online to play since the game's main pride is co-op play. Local co-op just seems so cheesy by comparison. Still, we got to pose with weapons:

Never seen anyone cosplay as Chris Tucker before, but wow did he do it well:

Live Action Marvel vs. Capcom:

Then the rest of it cause I'm fucking tired.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Lady Kuno

Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not even sure what to say.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Lady Kuno

Don't like it? :P I didn't make it for you.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's not about whether I like it or not. It's ... like I said, I'm not even sure what to focus on. The eight balls for eyes? The gold tooth? The pseudo-reggae band of colors? The Incredible Hulk shorts? The Incredible Hulk shorts held up by suspenders?

Whether I loved it or hated it, one thing'd be the same: I'd think it's pretty incredible.

Is it an original character?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Lady Kuno

Homestuck. Daisy drew me dressed as him for my avatar because she knew I was working on this cosplay.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Loki

More IEM New York, got to sit in one game, DRG vs. Hyun. Hyun came out dressed as everyone's favorite neighborhood hero:

The crowd went pretty wild. He also did some twipping of those webs and stuff. Was the highlight of the entire tournament.

Signatures from the pros:

Good gracious Team Liquid is full of handsome guys.

The casters and producers of IEM (Got Apollo and Redeye earlier in the week):

SchAmToo, whom I met at a more local tournament.

Back to Cosplay! Cause we all know only Kuno cares about the stuff above.

Yup, she saw me and had to have my photo.

Futurama:

Whooop whoop whoop whoop!

Click for an explanation.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
Loki

Here is a tale of the last day of New York Comic Con 2013. My friend's shop did poorly on Saturday. He forgot to set his alarm to wake up. His sales were lower than the days prior. He was pretty angry about the whole event and wasting his time, money, and stress of dealing with the convention. I decided to stick to the booth and not bother wandering at all. Despite him sometimes being a total butt, I at least wanted him to not leave with a sour memory.

Saturday morning, since we were so late to arrive, just barely making the 10AM opening time, our neighbor (Bronx Heroes comics, nice guys, cool stuff), told us Robert Kirkman, writer/artist of Invincible and writer of the Walking Dead was checking out our stuff. He jokingly asked if he stole a Megatron, would the guy tattle.

Sunday morning. We're like an hour early. I decide to step away for a moment and talk to a guy at the Skybound/Walking Dead/Image booth. I asked if Kirkman would be coming again, he said yes, and I told him to pass word that the shop would be open and ready for sales.

Many hours later. I've been asking everyone who looked at our stuff if they needed any help. I made sales pitches to everyone, spitting out all the knowledge of the product I picked up over the weekend listening to my friend.

"This is a third party Shockwave, called Quakewave. He's got nicer details. His eye, cannon, and his gun form light up. He looks better than the Hasbro stuff.'

"This is Hercules, he is actually Devastator. His color is nicer than the original, his details are better. He's bigger. His overall an amazing fan designed project.'

"We had Predaking. His center piece is on pre-order. His arms and legs are already on sale. They put a lot of detail into it. All the color is vibrant and amazing."

Shit I never wanted to know about toys but learned quickly to help my friend out.

So a larger bearded man stepped up. He's looking at Shockwave and Devastator. He asks me for some info and I give my pitch. Then he says, "Okay, I'll take Shockwave, Predaking, Devastator, and Omega Supreme (whom I had no info on)."

That was a lot of money. Omega Supreme was $350, full set of Devastator was $500, this doesn't even take into account the Predaking limbs and Shockwave. I look more closely at the guy and shyly ask, "Are you Robert Kirkman?"

"Yes I am!"

MIND BLOWN! ROBERT KIRKMAN CAME TO OUR BOOTH TO BUY OUR STUFF! I run inside and tell my friend and his wife Robert Kirkman was buying all our expensive shit. Everyone is all smiles, handshakes, photos, business card exchanging, everything. I'm like super happy.

It would cost $45 to meet Robert Kirkman at his booth. He came to ours! Fuck yeah! I'm awesome.

FUCK SPOILER TAGS! EVERYONE SEE THIS!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
deh74
Noted homosexual

Who's Robert Kirkman?

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #19
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I believe Loki has now won the Comic Con.

For all time.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
Char
Banned

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment