UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 06-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Potential New Changes to the Zone Process

With the closing of LMN we are discussing what to do about a possible replacement zone for LMN. Due to this discussion, we have a potential proposal to put in front of you all today.

-All zones will be considered permanent. Our tri-annual review will determine if a zone should remain open or be closed to ensure a good rotation of zones.
-Seasonal zones as a concept will no longer exist. It was a good idea, however, we have found over time that the concept is not satisfactory for FB and adds additional stress to updators who are now working on a deadline.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
King Ghidorah
Rainbow Badge

So are you saying that all current seasonal zones will become permanent, even those that are closed for new entrants? And any zones that would be brought in would be only on the grounds that they would be permanent which, if so, would likely mean less new zones? Would that also mean expanding the amount of zones a player could be in at a time?

Just trying to make sure I follow.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Emi

Any zones that we have officially closed (those being LMN and Minnao to my recollection) are still closed.

All we're doing it taking out the seasonal zone thing which hasn't really worked out. We don't wish for this to mean there will be less zones, but that imo is up to the community to decide what it can handle.

We can consider increasing the zone limit if that's what people want.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

Honestly if there's no more seasonal zones I think there's LESS reason to increase zone limits. Right now if you're in two zones and your updators are dragging ass you have a real chance of missing out on a transient seasonal zone. But if there are no seasonal zones then a person theorhetically has infinite time to finish their adventures in one zone before moving on to the next.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
King Ghidorah
Rainbow Badge

Fair enough. I forgot Seasonal Zones count toward the same category as Permanent Zones, as I thought they were rather more in line with the Free for All. As such, I think I’m actually in too many now and will have to withdraw from one.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Popping in to say that I'm seconding Tate's line of thought there!

Actually, for a concrete example of the feeling of missing out on a zone, I wanted to go to LMN to troll my updater by writing my posts all in French but I didn't since my line of thought was to prioritize going to Dialga's Gate first... and now LMN's gone, and I'm sad from missing out. ...Ok, admittedly it's not the same situation, but it still bears the same feeling of being limited with the combination of having seasonal/temporary zones and being limited to a number of zones. Removing the seasonal part definitely removes the problem because hey, more time on your hands and less worry about that one zone you want to go later to disappear under your nose! (...well, less chances anyway)

Meanwhile, keeping the zone limit will give a little assurance to updators to not get overwhelmed.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
King Ghidorah
Rainbow Badge

Yeah, I hear you. I’m cool with the shift to permanent status, but as it pertains to the cap, I just like to cast a wide net to maximize chances for engagement. For instance, I was in two zones and both of my updators took unexpected two month absences at the same time. Absolutely not their fault at all. Life happens and I totally agree that this comes second, so there’s no shame when that kind of stuff happens. But I guess my point is, with the zone cap in place, in bad luck instances like that, it can result in people getting taken out of the game. So with a higher cap, it provides a little more insurance when events like that happen and updators need a break.

But hey, that’s just one man’s opinion. I understand we can only make due with the resources we have.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

So this means Dialga's Gate is permanent now, right? I'm glad for the change; since as much as I wanted to Adventure there, I knew I wouldn't be able to reply quickly/consistently enough to have much of anything accomplished by the time it closed, so I appreciate no longer having to face that pressure if I enter. I feel like "Seasonal Zones" were never really going to work out tbh, so this is a good move IMO.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
Emi

Would like to bump this bring it up again just to be sure we didn't miss anyone who wanted to comment on this.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Meetan
Soul Badge

Thanks for the bump. I personally can appreciate this, as I feel like we've had some great zones come up as seasonals like Minnao and DG but we would have/have been forced to lose them due to the time constraints and as you say the time limit can be a real bitch. I've been on both sides of the fence in not only struggling to meet the deadlines, but also having updatees who also can't keep up for one reason or another, although tbh it's not the biggest issue in the world.

I think in terms of the limit, as has been said before, it's best to keep it as is for the moment and maybe extend on a zone by zone basis or depending on what the community wants. If there is an updater who WANTS more people/there is a zone of dead activity and updaters wanting for people, for example, maybe on a first-come/higher activity basis some people could have an extra adventure if they are able to commit to responses and aren't already in that zone or during a time of high activity all people can have a slot open. But that's a separate issue entirely tbh, so for now I'll just end on being happy for the abolishment of seasonals.

Just remember... mInNaO wIlL nEvEr TrUlY dIE
Old 07-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
Naru
Known Leafeon Enthusiast

I don't have much to say beyond "hell yeah abolish seasonal zones" because as ZA of a current seasonal zone I've been stressing so much about trying to get adventures done and as such I have super burnt myself out to the point I'm mentally unable to update at the moment. Without the pressured time limit I feel like I could relax a little more as well as allow people to have more fun within the zone. (I know some people didn't want to enter the zone due to being afraid of the time limit as well)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
Heather
Naga's Voice

Personally, I just feel like there isn’t a lot of diversity in zones and what they offer, to the point that we have two city zones, the Cloud Garden, and up to now whatever seasonal has existed. As it stands, there are biomes and environments where you’d expect certain Pokémon to be, that just, frankly, don’t exist. Too many to be covered by a single replacement zone. All in all, it does start to make me wonder exactly how effective zones are as a mechanism of building the world and providing a large selection of places in which to adventure, particularly because we are spread so thin. We can’t have a lot of places because we devote a fair amount of resources to zones that end up encompassing essentially a single enviornment or two, maybe 3. I’m not going to actually suggest dismantling and rebuilding the zone system, though, because I have no clue how to go about that. Instead, I’d like to mention that I think another part of what made Dialga’s Gate so appealing as a zone to myself personally was that it was consistent of so many unique environments in one place, and, sorry Gary, but unlike the Cloud Garden, it was all accessible at once.

In other words, I think the next zone we select should be one like Dialga’s Gate in terms of how much it has to offer. We can’t afford to keep thinking in small, contained areas.

EDIT: Just after posting this I had a thought, and had to dig a moment. I hate to dig up this particular relic of FB’s past what with all the stress that surrounded it, but the Arcane Realm as a zone was kinda quality, even I f the place descriptions were a bit basic and lacking. The whole “training” nonsense remains as such, but the amount of places to go in it does honestly make me wish we hadn’t junked it. Something to consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park

Last edited by Heather; 07-24-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development