Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Time Out

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #11701
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGoblin View Post
the problem is.. TL or higher... then um... who do you fight at TL5? fighting the same people over and over would get boring
Well you're a bit of an anomaly - by the time most of us were TL5, we were already regularly fighting and mostly beating the Haymez/Charm/etc tier people of our day. You've yet to demonstrate you can hold your own with that sort of tier people by virtue of barely having fought anyone worth a damn until very recently.

Dave, Kush, Elsie and me were all fighting each other and people like Speevey/Bird on a regular basis during our TL2/3 days - the sort of people who were pushing at the verge of getting gyms. You need to go back and do what we all did at TL2/3 before moving onto challenging the TL5 kind of people. It really helps - I've thirteen loses compared to your six, but I've never lost as a TL5 and only lost once at each of TL3 and 4.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #11702
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Well, if you hadn't noticed, just because something isn't the best doesn't mean it's unusable.

See: Pachirisu.
Thats not exactly what I meant. I was on the fence on making a decision to use him as an uplevel once I hit TL2 between him and Noctowl, but after hearing that he's really only decent, it's not looking so great.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #11703
Red Panda
donk

Ah. Well, it's always worth trying out. if you're finding that in most cases Skarmory would be more useful than Noctowl, or vice versa, make the switch.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #11704
Sneaze
On The Hunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Well you're a bit of an anomaly - by the time most of us were TL5, we were already regularly fighting and mostly beating the Haymez/Charm/etc tier people of our day. You've yet to demonstrate you can hold your own with that sort of tier people by virtue of barely having fought anyone worth a damn until very recently.

Dave, Kush, Elsie and me were all fighting each other and people like Speevey/Bird on a regular basis during our TL2/3 days - the sort of people who were pushing at the verge of getting gyms. You need to go back and do what we all did at TL2/3 before moving onto challenging the TL5 kind of people. It really helps - I've thirteen loses compared to your six, but I've never lost as a TL5 and only lost once at each of TL3 and 4.
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS.

I have 10 losses on record, but if you look down my record almost all of them are at the very start of it.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Old 05-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #11705
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Welp, I'm doing it now and having much fun =D

I'm really excited to face phoopes
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #11706
Cloneblazer12

So uh, noob question here.

Once I hit TL2, and for one of my new squad slots I want to add a Skarmory (or any uplevel for that matter), which would have to be an uplevel due to TL3 Acquisition, do I add him as a Level 1 or level 2?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #11707
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

That brings hope for me. -__-

I've had 5 losses and only 1 win by KO. >_>; All those other ones are by DQ.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #11708
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Generally how I did it was at any one time to have one match I knew I'd probably lose (the likes of Jeri, Gr, etc), two against people my sort of tier (the TL2/3 versions of Kush and Dave) and one other that was just whatever I felt like at the time - a levelling match, or a silly metronome match, or someone who fancied battling me, or whatever.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #11709
Red Panda
donk

Level 2
Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #11710
Sneaze
On The Hunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Generally how I did it was at any one time to have one match I knew I'd probably lose (the likes of Jeri, Gr, etc), two against people my sort of tier (the TL2/3 versions of Kush and Dave) and one other that was just whatever I felt like at the time - a levelling match, or a silly metronome match, or someone who fancied battling me, or whatever.
This is what I recommend. Ask anyone. It gives you a nice way to learn, know where you stand, and not explode from too much stress.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Old 05-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #11711
Cloneblazer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Level 2
Thanks.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #11712
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Oh I'm assuming I'm going to lose so maybe don't do that? More detail on this?
I wasn't exactly being entirely serious, but well, with the large amount of potential GL's showing up amongst our TL4s and soon to be TL4s (Red, Connor), it wouldn't be inconceivable to have stricter badge reqs for TL4, 5, and 6. Alternatively you could require victory against a GT/being a GT for TL4, but eh.

If you want to have even stricter quality reqs for TL5/6, you could "tier" the gyms so to speak by creating an Elite Four system, and make victory against an E4 member/being one a req for TL6... but that's getting way ahead of things. And really only necessary if you don't like the idea of victory over say, Connor's Gym being the equivalent of victory over Dave's. Moreover, seeing as Gym Leaders are the gatekeepers of the upper TLs, a secondary E4 system combined with shifting the Gym Leaders' jurisdictions down a notch to guarding TL4/5 instead of TL5/6 can alleviate some of the standards imposed upon them, which I'm sure a lot of the current GL's in waiting would appreciate.

Moreover, a Badge Req for TL4 would encourage more use of some TL3 mon that people really neglect. Theoretically... but moreso if Gyms don't use Equiall. Which they probably shouldn't unless somebody's coming in after beating a GT.

As for the "KOs only count against your TL or higher" (which I imagine is what you're more interested in... but this is the part I was less serious about so I figured I'd get my piece in about how I'd recommend a gym badge for TL4 req going)... realistically it ought to be TL-1 or higher, meaning a TL2 match against a TL1 would count, but a TL4 against a TL1 would not. You could play with it a bit so like a TL5 could still count victories against TL3s, but you get the gist. The point is that leveling matches and newbiestompings no longer count towards TL requirements.

And as a side note, why not require Equiall for leveling. I mean, non-evolvers will remain rampant (but that's fine really. You gotta get some sort of privilege for being of that TL), but at least it will get people to no longer bring a Drapion to do their leveling for them.

Anyhow, if you were to actually change up the system so only KOs against people around/above your skill level count, obviously you'd have to majorly revamp the requirements, bringing them down a bit for the higher levels. But going through people's match histories to find out what counts and what doesn't would be just about a complete bitch. Implementing this system flat out would be the biggest pain in ASB's ass since it got accidentally roofied and woke up in Mozz's van.

But, again, making barriers against newbie stomping your way to TL4 is generally a good thing. A simpler way to do so would be to say that, rather than not counting KOs against substantially lower opponents, is to reduce the number of KOs/TP you get from them. So, a TL3 against a TL1 would receive, say, .5 the standard amount of KO/TP or so. A TL5 against a TL1 would receive .25. I mean, change the numbers however you want, but you get the idea. May be a slight pain because it would require a mass audit, and KO Count Reqs may need to be shifted a bit (or allow people to grandfather in if they meet certain things). But you can realistically apply this system.

All said and done though, I'm not entirely sure if we really need to patch up the fact that people can game the system to a high TL. EG aside, I don't think it's all that common. And if the occasional person who does it bothers you, I mean, there's the option to go after that specific person and do something a bit douchier than preferable such as just flat out stripping them of KOs, but the obvious issues with doing that are obvious. And stricter reqs for advancement will help prevent people from advancing if they really suck. Not to mention all the other drawbacks of sucking, and the social discouragement.

But all in all... I don't think we have too much of an issue of excessive newbie stomping, but then again I don't read most of the SPPf matches where I assume that all takes place. So if it's a bigger problem, or if you just don't like that people can game the system like this, then reducing the KOs you get for fighting in matches 2+ levels below your TL is a decent solution.

I will say that, given the increased activity and such in ASB, expanding gyms, adding badge reqs, and, if that works, installing an "Elite 4" sort of deal wouldn't be a bad way to grow the scope of the league.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #11713
Red Panda
donk

who are you

Also

>Mentions that Connor and I are closish to TL4
>Doesn't mention Geet
Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #11714
Stealthy

Goddammt, I keep forgetting Geet isn't TL4.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #11715
deh74
Noted homosexual

In addition to what stealthy said it would actually give people an incentive to have,a GT if that's the only way for TL 4's to happen. Thee could Agassi be some sort of a financial incentive for GL's to have a GT such as having a portion of the TP go to the GL or just a flat out SP bribe to have a GT.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #11716
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I am not a fan of Equiall in 'serious' matches with the exception of forcing people to use very low level squads.
On the contrary I do not and will not believe that any match without Equiall is a serious match. If both players aren't on the same footing then there's zero point to the actual match.

GL qualifications for TL4 would do nothing except ensure a whole lot of people get stuck at TL3. GT qualification might work a bit better.

Last edited by Rangeet; 05-04-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #11717
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
I also feel that... Jeri... should challenge my Gym.

>re: Generations

Yeah, generations in the past were never named after people, and after a short while they stopped being named. You have the Old Guard (Mozz, Muyo, Reed), the Vets (SM, MetalYoshi, etc), the New Guard (Jeri and I fall in here), and then from the generation that T-dos falls into and onwards things weren't really named, though people did try to name them, they just never really stuck.
We should just call it "The T-dos Generation" and then "The Who Can Even Keep Track Anymore Generation" and be done with it.

Kids, lawn, grump, it's all there, you guys know what to do
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #11718
Lil'twick
Myth Breaker

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
>Gen talk

Apparently my generation's called the Lost Gen. At least by some people...

Ghost Legion
Hawke | Austin T. Willows

Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #11719
Stealthy

who the fuck calls it the Lost Gen
Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #11720
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
Well, I've heard of it as the Wave of Comp Players, which is generally accredited to Lost for whatever reason. Did Cibbir join before Lost?

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Old 05-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #11721
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I just call everyone from 2011 onwards newbies!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #11722
Lil'twick
Myth Breaker

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyro12 View Post
Well, I've heard of it as the Wave of Comp Players, which is generally accredited to Lost for whatever reason. Did Cibbir join before Lost?
Cibbir joined after me. I joined in May '13, while Cibbir August.

Ghost Legion
Hawke | Austin T. Willows

Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #11723
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Deebs is from the Deebs Generation.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #11724
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Dis sucks. 5 losses, 2 wins by KO, and those are my only wins! anyway, gliscor, honchkrow, togetic, haunter, what is best for uplevel?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #11725
deh74
Noted homosexual

There's a difference between massive comp wave that broke asb for a few weeks and the lost gen, but I'm not explaining it now since I want to sleep.

Okay it's basically the two halves of 2013.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Time Out