UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 02-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #3601
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
He also printed out classified documents and put them in an unsecured drawer, almost the same issue as Clinton's aide faced.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #3602
deoxys
Fog Badge

Fuck Jason Chaffetz. Fuck this disgusting, slimy snake in the grass.

And fuck Orrin Hatch too.

I'm well beyond politeness with these assholes.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #3603
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Would like to point out that Flynn was not fired for talking sanctions. Going behind Obama's back to appease Putin? I mean, what is Trump really gonna find objectionable there?

What we're hearing instead is that Flynn was fired because he lied to the Administration about it, specifically to Pence who then went and defended Flynn on the news cycles over it. It's a trust thing, which is 100% legitimate. That's why he was canned.

And yeah, there's exceptional irony/hypocrisy in picking Petraeus, but I don't get why we'd think that'd stop Trump. Petraeus is, regardless, very competent. A definite upgrade. And Trump likes Petraeus. Am not unhappy with this pick if it happens.

For further fun, Bannon declared war on Priebus via a Breitbart article. There's been plenty of rumors about the war between Priebus and Bannon (which is by design. There's a reason that Trump made up the Chief Strategist position). Flynn appears to be the first casualty, and it's on the Bannon side. With Conway under fire for plugging Ivanka's shit, Bannon's pissed. OGE (Office of Governmental Ethics), recommended disciplinary action against Conway, and (deo get ready to be pissed off), Chaffetz (Chairman of House Oversight) agrees. Guesswork here is simple: Chaffetz is acting as a gun for Priebus here.

That said, while Chaffetz is opting out, the Senate is demanding answers. I mean, an investigation is better than no investigation, but remember that this will not be an independent one.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #3604
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
WEEEEEEELP.

Trump is absolutely in bed with the russians.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:11 AM   #3605
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Lol. It was said one billion and one times before the elections, and was deflected by "lol Red Scare."

But I mean, really the guy who deserves the "Made everyone else eat humble pie" award is Romney.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #3606
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
He also printed out classified documents and put them in an unsecured drawer, almost the same issue as Clinton's aide faced.
Hey, do you know how effective an unsecure drawer is at concealing documents? Very effective! Every time I call Charles Schwab I try to tell them that their telephone conversations for certain matters (required by law) are a stupid regulation over email. The government apparently thinks that because email passwords can be compromised, and leave a written record, it's more unsafe than a telephone conversation.

Which, if you know technology, is obviously false, while voice doesn't leave a written record, it's far easier to intercept or subject to a MITM than something secure over https. Whereas for email pretty much the only point of entry is through the login portal.

Bill Jefferson had the right idea about where to store his cash, too bad the FBI was already on his trail.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #3607
Stealthy

More rumors about Conway being forced out, in what has to be another blow against Bannon. Several anchors and whatnot have said that they don't want to book Conway anymore for the obvious reasons, but I don't think I've seen one from FOX yet so it doesn't matter that much.

In Russian news, both House and Senate have introduced bipartisan bills that would require Congressional approval to lift the Russian sanctions.

And Senate is pushing back harder on Puzder. Right now reports are saying that we've got 4 firm nays from the GOP, possibly up to 12.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #3608
Stealthy

Aaaand Puzder's out.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 AM   #3609
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
Aaaand Puzder's out.
And Trump's riposte was to call a press conference to announce his new (somehow, apparently competent and not utter sociopath?) nominee for the position before diving headfirst into mudslinging at the press, because it hasn't occurred to Trump that there is a slight difference in press focus when you're a narcissist real estate mogul versus being the leader of the free world.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #3610
Stealthy

Trump offered Robert Harward, retired Vice Admiral, the position of National Security Advisor. Harward said no.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #3611
Stealthy

But, in good news for Trump's confirmation hopes, Pruitt will probably be confirmed 51-48 tomorrow with Manchin (D-WV) and Collins (R-ME) crossing party lines. And McCain's skipping the vote to go to Germany.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #3612
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Since Trump is busy today giving a campaign rally four years before the next election, please enjoy this moment of Zen:

Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #3613
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

So remind me: when Obama got elected, did Democrats all simultaneously cream their pants on the Senate floor due to having control of the government and roll out the legislative chopping block or are Republicans just super bitter?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #3614
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Coincidentally, last night I talked to a guy who was listening to Senate podcasts from that era, and he mentioned something to that effect.
Democrats were on a high that not even crystal meth could give, free from Bush with full reign of both houses and the presidency.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #3615
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Coincidentally, last night I talked to a guy who was listening to Senate podcasts from that era, and he mentioned something to that effect.
Democrats were on a high that not even crystal meth could give, free from Bush with full reign of both houses and the presidency.
And then reality ensued, since Democrats had to compromise not only with Republicans but with their own moderates and red state representatives with electorates who think any sort of public service represents the insidious creeping tentacles of Bolshevism. Seeing the shitshow between hardline Republicans who want to kill Obamacare and damn the consequences versus the vaguely sane Republicans who recognize that kicking 20 million people off insurance with no actual backup plan is not a smart electoral strategy combined with a White House too distrustful of anyone not kissing Trump's ballsack to actually get anything done has made me vaguely hopeful that the next four years may not be as bad as initially feared.

I can't believe that I'm considering our government being too deadlocked by infighting to actually accomplish anything to be the superior alternative, but we've been through the looking glass for some time now so we might as well hang the fuck on.

Last edited by Blastoise; 02-18-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #3616
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

sorry did you just describe NI politics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #3617
Stealthy

I'm pulling for GOP infighting to force moderation. Collins (R-ME) and Murkowski (R-AK) broke the party line on nominations so far (Collins did so twice), but both were probably approved, though neither is up for re-election in 2018. Graham and McCain will provide resistance at times, particularly when it comes to foreign policy because they are hawkish hawks. Rubio may put up some talk but he won't take action. Senate has in general been more vocal about getting some investigations on the whole Russian thing (although in Congressional hands, Republicans would have some control on spinning the thing), and were also more critical of the travel ban.

And, just recently, Graham just said that the Ryan Tax Plan (which includes a 20% import tax) won't get 10 votes in the Senate. Perdue (R-GA) called it regressive and punishing consumers (100% accurate). Senators from agricultural states have been worried about how it'll hurt farmers if some retaliatory tariffs come in (probably).

Then there's the whole media debacle. On Meet the Press, Old Man McCain told Chuck Todd "I hate the press, I hate you especially, but the fact is we need you." He's gotten pretty orthodox since 2008, but here's hoping he finds his maverick charm again without an Obama to oppose. Graham and 2020 Republican Primary Challenger John Kasich also went on to defend the media.

Then Rand Paul took the opportunity to blast McCain for this by... shitting on McCain's interventionist foreign policy. Because that's Rand Paul for ya.

Overall, conservative shit will be rolled through over the course of the next 2 (probably 4) years. But here's hoping the worst will be stalled by the Senate. In the long term, breaking down the concept of "party allegiance as king" is the healthiest long term option we have.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #3618
Heather
Naga's Voice

Today on The Hypocrisy Of The GOP, have this excerpt from the travel ban order:

Quote:
"In addition, the United States should not admit those who engage in acts of bigotry or hatred (including "honor" killings, other forms of violence against women, or the persecution of those who practice religions different from their own) or those who would oppress Americans of any race, gender, or sexual orientation."
>MFW:
Spoiler: show

This literally gives me grounds to say that Trump himself says a vast majority of the GOP has no place in America and I find that HILARIOUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #3619
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

FYI, these are questions asked about both during Green Card and Naturalization applications (Forms I-485 [Green Card] and N-400 [Naturalization] have questions to this effect, though the violence against women part is not specifically asked). We also presumably screen for these kinds of things in interviews in areas where this could be prevalent. This text being in an EO is more or less an act of masturbatory patriotism.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #3620
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
FYI, these are questions asked about both during Green Card and Naturalization applications (Forms I-485 [Green Card] and N-400 [Naturalization] have questions to this effect, though the violence against women part is not specifically asked). We also presumably screen for these kinds of things in interviews in areas where this could be prevalent. This text being in an EO is more or less an act of masturbatory patriotism.
The way I see it, it's less masturbatory patriotism, more a desire to be seen as doing SOMETHING, anything, by the general public.

The more things Trump does, the Greater America gets. In order to make America great again, Trump has to be constantly in action.

Had Trump waited maybe a month, two months, the worst that could be said of him was that he cooled off a little. People from both sides would defend him, saying he's not a politician and needed time to learn about the situations from all angles, plus the inner workings of political life. Things would be fairly gucci.

To me, Trump's actions, and the actions of people under him, aren't out of malice, but out of complete ineptitude. These people are not ready to work on the Hill. They need years of training, and they have to be given this training within a month or two, and Trump decided that all he needed was December to get his transition plan in place, delegate responsibility, and learn everything he needs to know about the American government.

The various bits of the national government don't seem to be talking to each other, and there's this frantic desire to get stuff passed so as not to seem like ivory-tower liberal elite academics who just sit around and talk instead of adopting a traditional Gitterdunn mentality.

That's the way I see it. I respect the point of view you all have though - there are a lot of people pushing agendas that you don't like, so it's hard to sit back and hear someone say "oh the whole government doesn't hate you, just a few people, but Pence is conveniently allowing them to do what they want because the whole Trump cabinet is inexperienced and doesn't know how to keep control over itself." Hard pill to swallow - easier to believe Mike "Shock and Awe" Pence isn't just letting LGBT discrimination sliiiiide under the radar. But I don't think that's the case here.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #3621
Heather
Naga's Voice

I mean I'm just pointing out the irony of that excerpt given how much of Trump's own party would do exactly what is described given the authority and how the fact that a good portion of the country would fucking cheer them for it because it's okay to them so long as it's in the name of Jesus/America rather than Allah makes me sick to my stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:43 AM   #3622
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://www.trumpormrburns.com/flipflop
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #3623
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I want to goosestep so hard right now.

In fact, I'll go do it!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #3624
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/u...rref=undefined

Thanks to the people who insisted Trump would be good on this issue.

You were wrong.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #3625
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The most annoying thing about the reporting of that issue is it's always styled as clickbait. The MSN article looked like something horrible, then I read it, shrugged, and promptly watch the internet meltdown.

I've said this before, "states rights" has historically been coded language for Republicans. Whatever Trump's stance on the issue, invoking states rights is always going to yield that connotation regardless of whatever subject he's making a decision on.

I would have preferred Trump repealed Obama's guidance, then erected his own, since that is more in character for him. It's petty, but hilariously in character. It's much harder to place this one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate