UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #1051
Sneaze
Mrow?

I build new decks on a daily basis, tbf. I just usually don't like them and can't be arsed to tweak them, only... 5? have survived so far.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #1052
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
I build new decks on a daily basis, tbf. I just usually don't like them and can't be arsed to tweak them, only... 5? have survived so far.
I've got 40+ decks built. I know most will suck as they can't stand up to the quick pace of the meta. I really only use the decks that I think will work (spoilers: most don't).
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #1053
phoopes
Double Dragon

I have a Dragon deck, a Wind-Up deck, and an Exodia deck.

Also an Ojama deck that is currently 0-14.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #1054
deoxys
Fog Badge

lol phoopes

I'm gonna pop back on DN in a bit.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #1055
quintowill
Soul Badge

Send a message via AIM to quintowill Send a message via MSN to quintowill Send a message via Yahoo to quintowill Send a message via Skype™ to quintowill
I'm gonna be on for a bit if anyone wants to DUEL!!!

43ko 123tp 6.5 sp
Banner by KratosAurion

Note: banner is not up to date...
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1056
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I want to play wind-ups or inzektors, I've only faced those decks once before.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #1057
deoxys
Fog Badge

We're all watching the finals, and if the winner allows it, we may hold the championship duel tonight.

Second game of T-dos v. Quinto right now, T-dos won 1. T-dos sitting at 100 LP, Quinto at 800. This game is insane.

Ninja edit: Scratch that, quinto wins. 1-1, final duel for the tie breaker.

Last edited by deoxys; 03-22-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #1058
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I want to play wind-ups or inzektors, I've only faced those decks once before.
I have a deck that runs both. Insanely hard to use because of it but can be SO fun to troll with.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #1059
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Two games against Deoxys's hero deck is two games too many. I am reminded why I prefer Magic so much more to Yu-Gi-Oh: in Yu-Gi-Oh, every single player plays control and the only question is how much control you want to play. But in Magic, if you want to play control, you have to splash a little blue. (Or black, but mostly blue.) Want to play Red/White aggro-burn? Great! Do it! But you don't get to play control. Want to do Red/White/Blue aggro-burn-control? Great! Do it! But you're going to have to play Russian roulette with your opening hand + subsequent draws to see if you draw the cards you need and in the order you need them. Yu-Gi-Oh just laughs at this, like a retarded 10 year old, and says "COUNTUHSPELL DA COUNTUHSPELL OF DA COUNTUHSPELL FOR EVEWYBODY! :3" This is fun maybe the first, I dunno, week or two you're back playing Yu-Gi-Oh. But after a while you get tired of playing -- and running up against -- control decks all the time. And with Magic, you have an alternative solution: the four other colors. With Yu-Gi-Oh, you're pretty much joined at the hip to control forever. Which means that when you get sick and tired of control, you've basically gotten sick and tired of Yu-Gi-Oh the game.

I'm sick and tired of Yu-Gi-Oh the game. For once, I'd like to be able to not lose because every single one of my counters is countered by your counters. For once, I'd like to be able to win not because you weren't able to counter my amazing summon but because my summon was neato in and of itself. It sucks to win when your opponent says, "You only won because I didn't draw X, Y, or Z." And it sucks to lose when you are that person. Control vs. Control = sad times for everyone. Except that retarded 10 year old. But he's retarded.
This is why I've basically quit hanging around Duel Network recently. I'm so damn sick of having really good moves, then having them constantly shut down by traps. It's like, why bother playing everything if you're just gonna have them all destroyed before you can even use them?

Of course the answer to that could be "U kuld m4k stuf 2 d35try tr4p5!" and my answer would be "Why should I have to make a deck that specializes in countering something? Why can't I have a strategy that specializes in (insert deck theme here)?" The imbalance of it is ridiculous, and what's funny is that the anime seems to realize this too, since this stuff is rarely used.

Strangely, my duels with Doppel don't really go like this, but otherwise, that's mostly how it goes.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #1060
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't like dealing with traps all the time either but there are methods to really fudge over them. I've been able to make some situation card refitting to suit that (like BBB's Arcnight Magician).

Ironically, I like playing YGO because it fits my playing style better than MTG - like my name suggests, I prefer versatility and options and the deck I roll with is effective against almost any archetype or gimmick. It doesn't necessarily win all the time, but it keeps me in every game.

MTG, it's so easy to be defeated at the deck selection level. I only played with blue/black back in the day with my only major deck focusing around Necropotence, the ultimate versatility/control deck. I can't play at the deck strategy level because I've only bothered to make one good deck.

This said, VGM's deck is tough. I played him 4 times last night and lost each, but he neutralized my Synchros before I could call out anything dangerous. In the third duel I had the materials to SS SQD, but screwed up the ordering and we almost decked out.

Nobody's online, where are you playing those tournament duels?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-23-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #1061
deoxys
Fog Badge

T-dos just won, a few of us are online still
Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #1062
phoopes
Double Dragon

Beat Deo 2 out of 3.

First game: His Elemental Heroes completely caught me off guard.
Second game: I swarmed the field before he could really do anything.
Third game: Deo didn't even draw a monster this game. Hence I won rather handily.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #1063
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
he neutralized my Synchros before I could call out anything dangerous. In the third duel I had the materials to SS SQD, but screwed up the ordering and we almost decked out.
You Synchro so much it isn't even funny -_-;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Of course the answer to that could be "U kuld m4k stuf 2 d35try tr4p5!" and my answer would be "Why should I have to make a deck that specializes in countering something? Why can't I have a strategy that specializes in (insert deck theme here)?" The imbalance of it is ridiculous, and what's funny is that the anime seems to realize this too, since this stuff is rarely used.
I've been thinking of doing an anti-meta deck like that but I don't know enough about the cards. Right now I'll just concentrate on doing the Crystal Beast deck that I think might be fun to use.

Somebody get on that trap-counter deck okay? It'll be useful! I swear!

As for me, I don't really like trap cards in general. I don't like using them, but sometimes it's necessary to say "Okay, so you just summoned this monster with 9000 attack including boosts and I have no monsters. Bottomless Trap Hole is entirely justified." While it kind of sucks to have your monsters removed, I don't mind in serious disadvantages or if it's a buildup to some further mischief as long as it isn't "you have just activated my trap card! ALL FIVE OF THEM!" Well, maybe that would be pretty admirable, if frustrating.

I think the main problem is those Synchros. They're so frakkin' easy to summon, we kind of need cards that will take them out quickly before they can take stuff out. Case in point Dopple's deck.

Last edited by Shuckle; 03-23-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #1064
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah, I'm thinking of replacing the Ojama deck I have with something else. Not sure what, though.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #1065
phoopes
Double Dragon

Replaced the Ojama deck with something far better. Beat Dopple 2 out of 3.

First game was a clean sweep, beat Dopple before he knew what hit him.
Second game was back and forth all game long, until I had a "D'oh!" moment in forgetting he had Torrential Tribute set.
Third game was another back and forth game, with me pulling out on top after not making any stupid mistakes.

Second two games were great, Dopple. GG's.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #1066
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
>I think the main problem is those Synchros. They're so frakkin' easy to summon, we kind of need cards that will take them out quickly before they can take stuff out. Case in point Dopple's deck.

Meklords. They were created to be Synchro counters.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #1067
phoopes
Double Dragon

Pretty sure the new favorite saying on DN is "Pure luck." That's what the last three people said against me before they ragequit, anyway.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #1068
Sneaze
Mrow?

I was pretty sure it was "DUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..."

Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #1069
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Pretty sure the new favorite saying on DN is "Pure luck." That's what the last three people said against me before they ragequit, anyway.
Dueling Network is more luck based than the real-life card game. A TON of people who don't normally use dueling network are on right now practicing for YCS Long Beach. These people are re-learning how stupid inconsistent Dueling Network is compared to the real life card game

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #1070
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner89 View Post
Dueling Network is more luck based than the real-life card game. A TON of people who don't normally use dueling network are on right now practicing for YCS Long Beach. These people are re-learning how stupid inconsistent Dueling Network is compared to the real life card game
good luck with dat parasite paracide.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #1071
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I've been thinking of doing an anti-meta deck like that but I don't know enough about the cards. Right now I'll just concentrate on doing the Crystal Beast deck that I think might be fun to use.

Somebody get on that trap-counter deck okay? It'll be useful! I swear!

As for me, I don't really like trap cards in general. I don't like using them, but sometimes it's necessary to say "Okay, so you just summoned this monster with 9000 attack including boosts and I have no monsters. Bottomless Trap Hole is entirely justified." While it kind of sucks to have your monsters removed, I don't mind in serious disadvantages or if it's a buildup to some further mischief as long as it isn't "you have just activated my trap card! ALL FIVE OF THEM!" Well, maybe that would be pretty admirable, if frustrating.
Oh, a trap counter deck? I'm on it! Counter Fairies comes to mind immediately. And for splashable stuff in your own decks if you hate being "trapped", you should really try out "Trap Stun" and "Royal Decree"

Last edited by unownmew; 03-23-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #1072
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Despite all of my pissing and bitching, I've made a new deck. Like my main one, this one features mostly spellcasters, but unlike the other one, it relies more on xy-derp monsters than synchro. Also, unlike my other one, I'm 100% coming up with my own card ideas and strategies without relying on the wiki for advice. I've tested it against Doppel, and overall, it works, but as always, I need more quick-summoning stuff, since one of my most effective monsters requires a tribute to summon, and that isn't easy to pull off nowadays.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #1073
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Double Summon and Ultimate Offering are good cards for additional summons.

Or if you want to use monsters - Treeborn Frog, Cyber Dragon, or Vertz Mandrago can ensure you have at least one monster for tributing.

Last edited by unownmew; 03-23-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #1074
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

BBB's new deck is XYZ Spellcaster, I personally think it was very beatable, but four losses seem to disagree. I just never got any traction against it even though he didn't use any traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I think the main problem is those Synchros. They're so frakkin' easy to summon, we kind of need cards that will take them out quickly before they can take stuff out. Case in point Dopple's deck.
I think swarming is the general obstacle, rather than synchros themselves.

My deck is an "all or nothing" deck, it combines disruption + low level swarm for fast synchro to try and overwhelm the opponent quickly, or when I can't, stall. The major weakness is there are few high ATK monsters and it's weak against effects that return cards to deck/hand. I have only a few situational counters against cards like that. The synchros I use are also not especially dangerous compared with other ones in archetype decks (like the Zombie Summoned Skull or that one card that equips monsters) because they're basically intermediate steps up the Stardust chain.

VGM's deck is similar but focuses on different sets of disruption cards and tribute/normal focused swarms. It's very effective against mine because it can lock down synchros and my magic/continuous trap destruction plus counter trap is thin.

Phoopes' X-Saber deck swarms with lots of powerful monsters, but is light on traps or card destruction preventing effects. Additionally, no Extra deck or monster over 2500 ATK but lots of monsters at or approaching it. Hypothetically, I should break even against such a deck in the long run because I am good at clearing fields or negating card destruction.

BBB's new XYZ Spellcaster deck isn't a swarm deck, but his XYZs can outspeed synchros and their effects are generally more powerful. He doesn't have anything to stop traps and is hypothetically vulnerable to a Synchro swarm, but I never really put any of that offense against him.

In any case, I'm 1-3 against Phoopes, 0-5 against VGM and 0-4 against BBB. There's only two blow outs among those twelve matches, but against decks that don't swarm I have a winning record.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #1075
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Phoopes' X-Saber deck swarms with lots of powerful monsters, but is light on traps or card destruction preventing effects. Additionally, no Extra deck or monster over 2500 ATK but lots of monsters at or approaching it. Hypothetically, I should break even against such a deck in the long run because I am good at clearing fields or negating card destruction.
Yeah, I'm working on fixing that problem. I have some ideas, though.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment