UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Orwell's Nightmare

I think some of you are familiar with the Apple v. US Department of Justice debate going on. The thing is, it goes far beyond just an issue of terrorism/privacy. The DOJ has no real way of hacking iPhones, so they're trying to force Apple to create a way of doing it for them. Obama has made some superficial promises that Apple will retain control of the hacking tools, but the government has the power to take it.

On the one hand, I have to bemoan the utter brilliance, yet utter stupidity of the Carnegie Mellon researchers. They were smart enough to find and develop the technique to hack Tor, with the intent to make it more secure - but they were dumb enough to violate almost every other rule in disseminating that information to the Black Hat community. They did it in a government facility, on government funds, and they didn't immediately leak the contents once the subpoena was served. In fact, they may have been paid off to sell out the Silk Road.

But it's chilling. Even the most secure network possible is now vulnerable to the tools of the federal government. And perhaps soon, the Supreme Court will force Apple to give more weapons to the DOJ.

Privacy, it seems, doesn't exist except as an excuse to legally allow abortions. Though I'm not sure where the US is headed in terms of anti-terrorism security. With the empowering of corporations, the future could either look like RoboCop, Starship Troopers, or some hellish amalgamation between the two.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

Apple already disclosed that the iPhone was wiped under the supervision of the FBI, which means they tried the wrong password too many times. If they hadn't done that, they could have backed the phone up to iCloud, and we might not be having this conversation right now.

Let's not forget too that the FBI is arguing "it will only be just for this one thing!" when we all know that setting that precedent betrays their integrity to their customers and gives the government the ability to say in the future "Well you did that for us, why can't you just let us remotely activate the suspect's cameras so we can see what he's doing?" etc etc etc... and what's more, that if someone were to leak this theoretical "cracked iOS", that's it. Any iPhone could be hacked, any personal data could be jeopardized. But you know. That's the cost of freedom and safety, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
With the empowering of corporations, the future could either look like RoboCop, Starship Troopers, or some hellish amalgamation between the two.
Or Psycho Pass.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Psycho Pass isn't nearly as terrifying a dystopia as RoboCop or Starship Troopers. At least in PP, people's thoughts are still their own, and they're allowed some autonomy over their own lives. The current PRC is much the same - so long as you don't get into politics, you have freedom of choice and a minimum standard of living.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Or Psycho Pass.
Obligatory. Still one of the best scenes I have ever seen in any anime. Song still gives me chills.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Obligatory. Still one of the best scenes I have ever seen in any anime. Song still gives me chills.
Holy shit. I forgot all about this. I just got crazy chills listening to that.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Starship Troopers the book or the movie? Cause they're fairly different versions.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The movie. Verhoeven's Federation is fascist, totalitarian, and jingoist. His Omni Consumer Products is symptomatic of a world where corporations not only control everything, they also control the minds of the customers they sell to.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc