UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #526
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

- Beat!
Blue Reflection
Time: 17:54:50
Like Magical Girls and RPGs? Avoid this game! The MC was dour, bland, and totally NOT magical girl material. Same for the other two. Some of the friend characters were alright but thats sure not enough! This is not the magical colorful happy fun kind of magical girl story at all. An on the RPG side its more or less an Atelier game with even less budget than those got. Pretty much every story "dungeon" is harvest 4 or 5 random crafting materials with no relation to anything then a battle again generic baddies then a tiny bit of story or a new friend. Games super easy and as a saving grace has great battle themes. Go youtube those an let that be your only exposure to the game!

Final Fantasy VII
Time: 26:46:15
Played on the PS1 Classic with its super nice lightweight controller. Like its still crap they didn't include a Dualshock but the original is real good to me. Anyhow this was a nice relaxing playthrough where I tried out lotsa the status effect magics, didn't really skip optional stuff aside from Ft. Condor, and grinded like heck to get every to L3 Limits on Disc 1 lol.

Twisted Metal
Time: 00:24:25
What were Sony thinking including this over its infinitely better sequel??? This game doesn't control. It just doesn't! Even playing with invincibility cheats on didn't add any mindless fun. Games just dreadful.

Super Street Fighter IV
Time: 00:17:15
Randomly ran through arcade mode cheesing dumb AI left & right! Now thats some mindless fun that works! Game still looks nice an while I like SFVs menus for the most part, this one is sooooooo much more stylish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
DKC2 is frustrating. I hate all the "timed" levels where you have to escape like a rising flood, and there's a ton of them in this.

The last one, "Toxic Castle" is extremely annoying.
DKC2 gets a ton of undeserved hype imo, unless the majority of players just hate platforming levels! Cause DKC2 ain't got many of those~ Gimmick levels? Animal friend levels? Yeah we got those. Some nice old fashioned left ro right platforming? Um... there's a few in there I guess! It also distinctly lacks the title character >_>
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #527
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I can see why people like DKC2 though. It's a sequel in every way to the original - faster and more challenging. The environment is spooky and memorable. Unfortunately, it's very punishing early on, as early as Krem Cauldron world which has all those hazard pits.

I'm playing Donkey Kong Country III now and I can see why people hate it. Kiddy Kong is the least of the problems here (in fact, he's a buffed Donkey Kong) - the main issue is the bad level design and buggy programming, especially in K3, and the general unfun gameplay.

What I loved about the original is that bonus areas were optional, had fun games and were rewarding to discover. If you wanted to have a fast-paced romp through a level, you could.

DKC3 is the worst in this regard. Unlike Banana Coins, the Bear Coins are useless to collect. And the Banana Coins are required to beat the game at the end. I only know this because I read up on why I was collecting this coins with no place to redeem them. Lo, you can't beat the game without clearing every single bonus area in every single level, and the games are stupid, grind fests like "catch the green banana".

This kills pacing and is agonizing as you are forced to explore every inch of the level and go back to 100% clear the game.

The artwork is bizarre (for the worst) and while the bosses are at their best here, the jarring gameplay is frustrating. I don't even know where the game is set or why the Kongs are adventuring here. Something about a factory, a castle and a robot?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #528
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Final Fantasy III

BPK has raved about this game for years, and there are other reviews to back it up. The story is okay if quite generic now that imitators have run its ideas and tropes into the ground. It's also weird...Kupos appear out of nowhere to save the main characters? Deus ex machina anyone?

But this is an immensely frustrating game, and I've already had to start over multiple times.

For one, a stamina system is horrible, if modern mobile apps weren't evidence enough. The game is slow, it's punishing because it's pseudo real-time and there's no consistent save system. Much like I feared, the battle system is tacked on unlike in FF1 where it was a feature and fun. I just want to cheat and buff my characters up so I can progress through the story like it's a visual novel.

Comments? Should I do that if I hate the gameplay so much?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #529
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
w-what

which game are you playing

EDIT: I've literally never heard of an FF with a stamina system????
Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #530
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

In FFIII, there is a charge-up time before you can make attacks on the opponent. This is a stamina system, since it exists to artificially slow down gameplay. It's dumb because the opponent can continually rain down attacks while you are still thumbing through menus.

Meaning, at best you are as fast as the opponent. At worst, the opponent gets some free hits in and it takes you hours to grind a few levels, and you have to devote all those hours back if your party is wiped.

There's too much pressure to even run from battles at risk of x3 attacks raining down on you. I hate it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 PM   #531
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

That's not called a stamina system, they called it the "Active Time Battle" or ATB. I don't know if FF3 has it, but I do know ATB games have a setting for "Active", where everything keeps happening as your run through the menus doing your turn, or "Wait", where everything pauses while you're going through the menus. Considering your complaints, you should probably set it to "Wait" if it's available.

Square basically tied combat to character speed stat in order to determine their number of actions. Rather than everyone getting an equal number actions, instead faster characters act more often rather than acting earlier in a turn. It's like going from D&D initiative and turns system to something closer to real time.

Typically this was balanced by the fact that slower characters had other stats that were higher to make up for their slow speed and low action rate. i.e. a Warrior could only take 1 action for every 3 a Thief could take, but the Warrior had higher damage per hit than a Thief and had more defense than the Thief.

Also, ATB is used from FF3 to like FFX-2 and it was pretty iconic for the Final Fantasy franchise. Even later games used similar systems like the Wii JRPG Xenoblade Chronicles and the Western RPG Pillars of Eternity, but they also add other strategic options to the gameplay like positioning and such.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #532
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm very familiar with this system since it was in RPG Maker 2003, replacing the straight turn-based system of RPG Maker 2000. However, the implementation in FFIII combines the worst elements of it, for a couple reasons:

-stamina has to charge from THE FIRST TURN which makes no sense at all
-the ranbat encounter rate is about the same as FF1
-save points are in random locations and require upkeep to use

You may have noted from my earlier complaint about DKC2 that I felt the idea of having to pay for services early game was infuriating. The game is unnecessarily, artificially punishing earlier on by denying you basic menu functions, and by late game you are swimming in money so the payment is trivial and no different from the original. So why bother to make the game so hard in the beginning? Bad design philosophy.

FFIII is effectively this. I have to search for sleeping bags/tents and have no way to predict when a save point will appear, with few resources to survive combat. This means I have to worry about the boring gameplay against inorganic monsters which threatens to destroy my run, when I should be focusing on the story and characters. The game is on rails and is forcing me to do something I don't want to do.

What it feels to me is like one of those lesser hentai games like Koihime Musou, where the gameplay has the basic veneer of legitimacy to keep the game from being labeled a hentai visual novel.

I was going to say Eien no Aselia but Aselia's gameplay as actually fun, and surprisingly, the story is better than FFIII so far.

I'm not going to stop playing, a game this well acclaimed deserves a chance, but there's no way I'm going to excuse this oudated battle system, iconic or not. Square these days is usually portrayed as a dinosaur, exemplifying all the negative qualities of JRPGs versus BioWare or other western cRPGs.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 AM   #533
Emi

Are you playing the SNES version (I assume so since you keep calling it FFIII, which is only present in the US version of FF6)? I believe in the SNES version you can save freely in the overworld. That might only be in the GBA port, but I kind of doubt it.

In any case, I've played FF6 and its...not that hard?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:33 AM   #534
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yes, the SNES version. When I tried to sleep in a random place, the Sleeping Bag option was greyed out. It might only be Tent+ (which was the case in FF1), but I don't have Tents yet. I was at the castle south of the snow town when I died.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-31-2019, 01:48 AM   #535
Emi

Sleeping Bags should be usable from the Overworld, as well as saving. It's bizarre that you're that close to death that early on too???
Old 05-31-2019, 08:27 AM   #536
Loki

Stamina systems is a bad use to the term since it is often used to describe systems used to limit player progression in F2A mobile games, i.e. you can do 5 battles right now, then you have to wait 1 hour to get enough energy to do another battle.

I don't see why actions wouldn't need to build up from the first turn. You have to remember, these games don't have 'space' on the battlefield. So when you start the fight, your characters could technically be very far apart from their enemies, so the ATB build up is like everyone moving into position.

As for save points, you can save at any point in the over world, not in towns or dungeons. Inside a dungeon or town, it's only a quicksave that deletes itself when you load in.

Also it's confusing that you said FF3 when now we all know FF3 SNES is actually FF4.

Last edited by Loki; 05-31-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #537
Emi

(FF3 SNES is FF6, not FF4. FF4 was SNES FF2)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #538
Loki

Oh right. Everything about that was dumb.

Been playing:
City of Heroes: Homecoming

City of Heroes, the superhero MMO that was shut down in 2011(?) has recently been revived thanks to private servers for it's 15th Anniversary. I only remember playing it briefly before other MMOs took over my playtime but I remembered it having one of the best character creators and decently fun tab target queue up system. So I hopped on and tried it out.

I ended up making a bunch of cosplay characters. Psylocke and (Classic) Ms. Marvel from Marvel comics were pretty easy to recreate as well as their powers. Also, I noticed that Marvel likes all their women to be 5'11" apparently. Although this is from their character bios as I know in-comic their heights vary based on who they stand next to (almost everyone is the same-ish height).

Glow effects like Psylocke's pink psionic butterflies around her eyes was doable. And Psi Blade is already in the game, which was one of her abilities.

Unfortunately it's not really possible to make a mixed melee and ranged character properly. I kind of did with Ms. Marvel, giving her energy blast and energy shields, but there's no super strength and energy blasts.

I also made Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakenings, although matching her abilities was harder since there's not really curses in this game and even if you choose a Magic origin for your powers, you can't really get the aesthetic like giving her a magic tome.

I've seen One Punch Man's Saitama, Genos, and Mumen Rider, a lot of Captain Americas, Hulk, Iron Man, Venom & Carnage, Superman, Wonder Woman, and so many more. It's kind of silly. And it's pretty obvious why Marvel sued them that one time.

Gameplay is very dated, but feels good. There's no auto-attack and all of your abilities have varying cooldowns. Just a few levels in though, you can unlock flight or super speed, which is pretty helpful overall. Apparently this is a newer function from the dying days of the game.

Combat can get very interesting depending on your choices of powers, which is very vast. I've seen people combine their powers for pretty wild results. I saw a guy while Flying use Levitation to lift their target, blast it with Energy beams, then do a Flying melee slam to throw the guy back into the ground. It's perfectly a superhero power combo that you expect from the comics. And this is all from a 15 year old tab target cooldown system.

Questing is pretty... bad. I don't know if it's because of the server population being so crowded, but there's times when it's impossible to complete certain quests because there's way too many people on. I remember doing a quest that required me to beat up 4 muggers in a park. Unfortunately, because of the crowding, everyone was overrunning the park and the respawns are kind of slow, so the simple mundane quest became a mad scramble. Another time required that I destroy 4 magic runes. These runes only spawn when the local cult has been around for a while and they randomly decide to make them on the ground. Unfortunately because of the scramble of people doing the quest, they just murdered all the cultist before they could make the runes. This became impossible to complete because the players were just too impatient, with people saying the quest was bugged. I logged out that evening and the next day, when there were less players on, I pretty much finished the quest immediately. So the game isn't without fault. Currently they only have 4 or 5 servers (they just opened one for Europe).

It's worth trying out. I give it a 5/7.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:56 AM   #539
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I soft beat DKC3 (still have to clear the Lost World segments). This is a game with middle difficulty between DKC1 and DKC2. Some segments were frustrating and poorly designed, but I wouldn't call it hard. It was definitely a chore to get through even compared to the second game, and both were not nearly as adventurous and rewarding as the first.

I thought the King K. Rool fight in DKC2 was insanely tougher than DKC3, so that was a little disappointing. I was expecting to get my face smashed...and while I had to practice the patterns for K. Roolenstein, I didn't spend days like with Kaptain K. Rool.

Northern Kremisphere is just a bland region compared to Donkey Kong Island and Crocodile Isle.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #540
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Fuck this game.

FFVI is a miserable experience. I keep missing stuff in the guides despite CRAWLING EVERY INCH OF THIS GAME for hours and spending hours grinding. The story is nothing special. What matters is the power leveling and items and this game is stupid with how it hides things.

I feel like crying with how much I've missed already.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #541
Emi

Where are you and what are you missing? Like there's only one serious fucked thing that Squeenix does in 6 to my recollection with regards to missable content. A lot of stuff can be claimed in the game's second half or isn't actually that good.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #542
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm almost through Sabin's side of the story after the party split up. I already did Locke's story and missed the hidden Ribbon. All members of my party are around Level 25.

I am super pissed about the basement thing. I crawled up and down that stupid house looking for more hidden things and couldn't get the right combo of keys to navigate into it.

Also THERE ARE TOO MANY CHARACTERS!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #543
Emi

You can pick up the Ribbon later. It's not gone forever. The minute Narshe is over you can go back and get it iirc.

Also, you are very, very overleveled.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #544
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I got my first Espers. I'm looking for a good spot to Level to the 40's. Right now the monsters in Zozo are too powerful to solo despite my high levels.

I'm ignoring Shadow, should I focus on him? So far I've been leveling the girls, Terra especially, Cyan and Sabin. Don't really like Edgar (I see him as a conspecific) and Locke kind of sucks now, although his story is the most interesting to me.

I had Terra solo Kefka's entire invading army of Narsche. Fire 2 spam just devastated everything: I was really proud at having one of two spellcasters in the game, then the belly dancers in Zozo spam Fire 2 and Lit 3. Stupid.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #545
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Fuck this game.

FFVI is a miserable experience. I keep missing stuff in the guides despite CRAWLING EVERY INCH OF THIS GAME for hours and spending hours grinding. The story is nothing special. What matters is the power leveling and items and this game is stupid with how it hides things.

I feel like crying with how much I've missed already.
Have you considered that maybe JRPGS aren't for you?

More seriously though, if you're not enjoying it then maybe stop playing it? Just because it's widely popular doesn't mean you have to "get" it. I similarly can't stand FF7. The story and characters are what tends to be the big draw for people enjoying FF6, if you're not into them then that's ok but it's probably not the game for you. Like most FFs, its mechanics aren't is strongsuit.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #546
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Have you considered that maybe JRPGS aren't for you?

More seriously though, if you're not enjoying it then maybe stop playing it? Just because it's widely popular doesn't mean you have to "get" it. I similarly can't stand FF7. The story and characters are what tends to be the big draw for people enjoying FF6, if you're not into them then that's ok but it's probably not the game for you. Like most FFs, its mechanics aren't is strongsuit.
I don't have a lot of experience with console JRPGs. I had a bad experience with FFVII, but loved FFI, Pokemon and visual novels.

FFI is all mechanics. Visual novels are all story. Pokemon games are the transition between the two, with earlier games closer to FF1 and later games basically being glorified VNs.

That positive experience shouldn't be predictive of a bad experience. Although, BBB said I would hate this game, and I definitely have one foot in that camp.

The mechanics were irritating at first but I'm used to them. What's problematic is that it's all I care about right now, because the story/characters are extremely cliche. Like, this game is so tired cliche/trope ridden it comes across like a joke/parody of such games. It's like those amateur games I demo'd on Likwid RPG Maker during 2003-2004.

Adolescent girl who's a hybrid of human and Esper? Terra.
Thief trying to atone for his shameful past with pretty girls? Locke.
Dark loner mercenary ninja? Literally named Shadow.

There's way too much in here that's overdone. Maybe a character or two fine...but literally the whole game is. I half expert Terra's twin sister Luna wanting to destroy all humans or a nihilist named Zero appearing. So I end up skipping or not caring about the comedy and story, and focus on the numbers.

When I think of a classic game, I think of something that is either fun or entertaining decades after its release. Tie Fighter, BG, FF1 and the original Pokemon games all fit this billing. I'm not sure FFVI really has any of those characteristics, although I'm not ready to pass final judgment yet.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #547
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Man we have different opinions on these things. Never played Tie Fighter but I can't stomach any of the first thee FFs or any of the pokemon games before Gen V anymore lol.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #548
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm curious, is it because those games have dated gameplay, or because they're ugly? Tie Fighter is the outlier in that list because its gameplay and story remain unique even though it's approaching 30 years old. And with Disney how it is, I don't think they could do remake or repackage it without screwing it up.

I have the airship and have been flying around before the big final battle. I finally got to see Locke's story and it's creepy. His girlfriend is in suspended animation? Is she even going to wake up or is this some kind of censorship thing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #549
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Massive update.

I leveled Terra to 44 and got her Fire 3. Coupled with an 84 Magic Power, she does 6000 damage with an AOE Fire 3 to Undead. MgkPW is all I've been boosting through her with Espers, though.

I guess I'm in the WOR now? I just went through the Imperial Banquet.

I don't know why, but Locke's story seemed to be the most interesting to me to begin with, and it just got better here.

Why? Well, General Leo dropped a bomb that two Imperial Generals were traveling with us to the lost land: Celes, and Shadow. After sleeping in the INN, Locke awakens and tries to talk to Celes.

I recognized the tune and thought about it, and it's the same opera theme Celes sang to bait Seltzer into giving them the airship. As some of you know, the story of the play was Maria being forced against her will but still loving her original man, Draco. The meta of this was Locke went to save Celes-as-Maria.

So what's going on between these two? Is there attraction? I can't really tell through the censored dialogue...would help if I had the original Japanese to look at. But, Locke clearly has his obligations to Ms. Dead Body in Kohlingen. I also think that the swoon is more from Celes toward Locke than the other way around. He was spending most of his time trying to atone - from his perspective he can't do enough. But from Celes' POV, Locke has been her knight in shining armour.

Ultimately, I think the story has gotten a lot better since Scooby Doo opened the chest of demons. It's moved out of cringeworthy territory and into an "interesting" borough.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #550
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

World of Ruin

Long game is long. I thought I had beaten it by the time I was on the floating continent, but NOPE.

I've cleared the Locke storyline while powerleveling Terra to Level 67. She was to solo the Red Dragon but I've come close to soft maxing her Magic Power, without a proper esper to fit in place. I guess I'll max Vigour and Stamina until I get Speed?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games