UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would give you that 40-60% of the viewers are younger than 18.

I would also give you that fewer than 1% of the viewers have the know-how and the motivation to pull off the bots I'm talking about.

But the problem is that that's just a headcount: not a count of the commands entered. If we're to tally the commands entered, the problem you run into is that it's very, very easy for twenty to thirty people to spoof several hundred accounts, each of which is a proxy for a bot, and to have these accounts (and the bots behind them) all logged in at once and all bombarding the channel with commands. You don't even have to be super obvious about it given how many retarded children there are who won't shut the fuck up: you can have each bot only enter in a command once every 5 to 60 seconds (and you randomize that time interval every time, too) to imitate the realities of a human being torn between a desire not to spam and an eagerness to participate. Do that several hundred times (between the twenty to thirty malicious programmer-trolls) and you pretty much have enough malicious input to ensure that even with a coordinated effort from several thousand good guys you're not going to be able to reach Indigo Plateau. If you really want to, you can even coordinate your own bots to work together, as though they were a cadre of malicious children, and thus ensure spamming (say) fifteen Down commands in the span of one second, forcing Red to leap off the ledge for the 3,978th time.

These are the same people who code viruses not to linger on your system and pass them financial information, not to infect you once, report back home, and then uninstall themselves as part of a training mission, but to devastate your Windows partition, requiring you to hard wipe your disk and pray you backed everything up. Why do that? Who benefits from that? Why not code the virus that seems to do nothing mean but is secretly stealing your credit card account numbers? Why not code the harmless virus that only infects for purely academic purposes? Why be a shithead and ruin someone's computer for no good reason?

Because some people are shitheads who ruin others' lives for no good reason.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #27
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I agree with you on most points although I would like to mention there is a chat delay, and an extended delay for entering the "same command" multiple times in a row. Just something to think about. I think it's 30 seconds before you can type again (or more) and longer for a repeated command.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Talon, I think you're way underestimating the power of how hilarious this stream is and how important it is for bots to not be involved - if a "bad" bot showed up that made it totally impossible to win, instead of the crazy realm of possibility it now occupies, I don't think anyone would mind if it got banned for not following the rules.

It would be like putting the Joker in Gitmo, following your analogy. People want this to be possible, so if someone tries to make it impossible they're going to find themselves shouted down and shouted out.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #29
Lady Kuno

Yay we cut through! But what happened with Teleport? Did Drowzee lose a move to get it? D:

Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Talon, I think you're way underestimating the power of how hilarious this stream is and how important it is for bots to not be involved - if a "bad" bot showed up that made it totally impossible to win, instead of the crazy realm of possibility it now occupies, I don't think anyone would mind if it got banned for not following the rules.
... no. And that is all the breath I am going to waste on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Empress View Post
Yay we cut through! But what happened with Teleport? Did Drowzee lose a move to get it? D:
I dunno. But I am not digging Charmeleon's moveset. Cut, Growl, Leer, and something else. It's pretty damn awful.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #31
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Are you kidding me "And that is all the breath I am going to waste on this" you are not some monarch of 16th century western europe you can't just be so ridiculously pompous & arrogant

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #32
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
... no. And that is all the breath I am going to waste on this.

I dunno. But I am not digging Charmeleon's moveset. Cut, Growl, Leer, and something else. It's pretty damn awful.
The fire moves and Slash all got canceled. The last move is Bide.

Very pissed off Drowzee died just now. :/

Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #33
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Sorry, made one of those weird leaps I do sometimes. It's important to participants for bots not to be involved. That would be grounds enough, I'd think, to attack those who use malicious programs.

But have it your way, pessimism wins again. yay.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #34
Lady Kuno

Interesting post I found

Spoiler: show

Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #35
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

T'S HAPPENING!

ERIKAAAA
Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #36
Lady Kuno

ERIKA DOWN ERIKA DOWN

Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #37
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

PRAISE THE HELIX
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #38
Lady Kuno

Cutting free should be easier then cutting in since on this side you are surrounded by more stuff. Of course as I type this they already cut the first tree.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
The fire moves and Slash all got canceled. The last move is Bide.

Very pissed off Drowzee died just now. :/
One of the problems with this run is that the weak are just going to keep on getting weaker (well, remaining right where they are while the world around them grows in levels and power) while all of the experience is going to be gobbled up by the two Pokémon on the team who have the levels necessary to survive in this world despite the madness of random button inputs: Level 42 Pidgeot and Level 33 Charmeleon.

Fortunately, Generation 1 is the kindest generation for this approach to beating the game.

Unfortunately, it is not typical of this strategy to give one's single über-leveled Pokémon a bunch of non-damaging attacks and then a base 40 power move. ^^; Thankfully the move has STAB and priority, but still. I don't think Pidgeot will be able to take out all of the League on Quick Attack alone. Thankfully, the players are still in the vicinity of HM02. If they can coordinate their efforts to fuck the trolls and go get HM02, they can teach Pidgeot Fly and give him a powerful STAB attack to complement Quick Attack and replace one of the time-wasters. (I nominate Whirlwind! )

If they can't teach Pidgeot Fly, then they will have to power level Pidgeot to 70+ in order to have a fighting chance with Quick Attack before it runs out of PP. And if they end up deleting Quick Attack for another non-damaging attack, then, Fly or no Fly, Pidgeot is not going to be able to single-handedly beat the league no matter how high his level. It simply has too little PP and they keep tossing their few PP Ups.
Quote:
Interesting post I found

Saw this earlier this morning. It was actually one of the primary sources informing my own arguments throughout this thread about the unlikelihood of reaching Indigo League whilst malicious bots interfere.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #40
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I just watched a little moment where they were trying to get out of the Celadon Gym area. It felt good to watch them cut down the tree.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #41
Lady Kuno

Now the trolls/idiots want to get eevee to screw up the run. Awesome.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #42
Lady Kuno

The unholy alliance of a thousand furries and trolls combined doomed the run. Good job guys.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

On the one hand, they've gotten four badges in 99 hours. When you consider that the average player takes (ballpark guess) between 25 and 40 hours to beat the game on his very first playthrough, this is rather impressive. Obviously a Werster can beat the game in a matter of several hours. And obviously one of us, playing it "properly but diligently," would probably beat it in around 10 to 15 hours. But think about when you first played this game. (Or, if Gen 1 wasn't your first, think about when you played your first Pokémon game.) I'm willing to bet you took longer than 20 hours to beat it. Now consider this: by the time you go to the Celadon Game Corner basement to take on Team Rocket, you're roughly halfway through the game. I don't want to split hairs over whether you're 40% of the way through or 55% of the way through or whatever: let's just agree that it's 4 of 8 badges, roughly half the map visited, and you're roughly halfway through the game. That means that, when you first got to this point yourself, you had probably logged somewhere in the vicinity of 10 to 20 hours. Let's say 12 because WHY NOT, armchair calculations anyway. That means the Twitch channel has taken approximately eight times longer to get as far as any one of us did back when we first played RBY. That in turn means something like this:
  • for every hour spent advancing the game ...
  • three and a half hours are spent derailing the players ...
  • and three and a half more hours are spent getting them back on the rails
Which means that only ~43.75% of the commands are actually deleterious: ~43.75% are corrective and ~12.5% are the driving force forward.

On the other hand , they've taken 99 hours just to get this far. If we assume they're roughly halfway through, it'll be another 4 to 5 days before they beat the game. But that makes the crucial assumption that the game going forward is (on average) as kind to the players as the portions they've already completed. And we already know that that's not the case. Surfing to Seafoam alone promises to be a nightmare with many, many return trip to the Fuchsia City Pokémon Center. The warp tiles of Silph Co. ... the tiles that send you spinning in the basement of the Celadon Game Corner ... Victory Road ... the players have their work cut out for them in the second half, that's for sure.

So ... with all of this stated ... here's the question:

How long until you think they beat it?

Q1. Will they beat the game before 12:00am on March 1, 2014?

Q2. Assuming they do manage to beat it before March 1, 2014, when do you think they'll manage to beat it? (Provide an exact date and time. GMT for the time.)

Q3. Assuming they do not manage to beat it before March 1, 2014, when do you think they'll manage to beat it? (Provide an exact date and time if applicable. Answer "Never" or similar if you think they never will. GMT for the time.)

Last edited by Talon87; 02-16-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #44
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

No.
February 24th at least.
Likely somewhere halfway through March. If it doesn't die...I hope it doesn't die

Can't Vaporeon learn Surf? If they can manage to get a Water Stone...
Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #45
Sneaze
Mrow?

>Re: Teleport TM

It got tossed sometime during when they were trying to get back in the Gym.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Now the trolls/idiots want to get eevee to screw up the run. Awesome.
Quote:
The unholy alliance of a thousand furries and trolls combined doomed the run. Good job guys.
Realistically, you have two options if you don't want Eevee to be dead weight that soaks up valuable EXP.

Option 1. Cooperate with the furries. What you'll need to do:
- get a Nugget or other item of value
- thwart the trolls who try to get Red to toss it
- get your ass to a Poké Mart
- sell the Nugget or other item of value
- rinse and repeat until you have enough money to purchase an evolution stone
- purchase an evolution stone (not Leaf, and preferably not Fire either)
- evolve Eevee
Considering the likelihood of this plan succeeding is slim ... and considering Gen 1's shitty movepool for Eevee, Jolteon, and Vaporeon ... and considering the lack of a Move Relearner in case you miss great uplevel moves for Jolteon ... I'm going to say that this option is terrible and should only be considered if you absolutely refuse to do Option 2.

Option 2. Cooperate with the trolls. What you'll need to do:
- convince the furries that you're trying to deposit a weaker Pokémon to make room for Silph Co. Lapras
- everyone works together to go to the Pokémon Center PC
- as you prepare to release a shitmon ...
- SURPRISE, BITCHES! SEE YA LATER, EEVEE!
This plan is also in danger of succeeding since the smarter trolls should realize that, so long as they've locked you in with Eevee and the others, you will have nobody on the team eligible to learn Surf and thus cannot advance the game. But the nice thing about this plan is 1) not all of the trolls are intelligent and 2) never underestimate a troll's desire to troll a furry.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #47
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
So are we just ignoring the fact that if they get a Water Stone and evolve it into Vaporeon/ Deposit someone to get Lapras then they can use Surf?
Yes?
Ok then.

Also there are a whole host of silly Gen 1 Mons who get surf so...

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #48
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Realistically, you have two options if you don't want Eevee to be dead weight that soaks up valuable EXP.

Option 1. Cooperate with the furries. What you'll need to do:
- get a Nugget or other item of value
- thwart the trolls who try to get Red to toss it
- get your ass to a Poké Mart
- sell the Nugget or other item of value
- rinse and repeat until you have enough money to purchase an evolution stone
- purchase an evolution stone (not Leaf, and preferably not Fire either)
- evolve Eevee
Considering the likelihood of this plan succeeding is slim ... and considering Gen 1's shitty movepool for Eevee, Jolteon, and Vaporeon ... and considering the lack of a Move Relearner in case you miss great uplevel moves for Jolteon ... I'm going to say that this option is terrible and should only be considered if you absolutely refuse to do Option 2.
They can afford it. Stones aren't that expensive, they just have to avoid buying a bunch of useless shit before getting and using water stone.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
So are we just ignoring the fact that if they get a Water Stone and evolve it into Vaporeon/ Deposit someone to get Lapras then they can use Surf?
Yes?
Ok then.

Also there are a whole host of silly Gen 1 Mons who get surf so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
They can afford it. Stones aren't that expensive, they just have to avoid buying a bunch of useless shit before getting and using water stone.
Shuckle, they can't afford it because they keep whiting out constantly and losing half of their funds. This is Gen 1, not Gen HoldYourHand. You white out, you lose half your money.

Swampertforever, right now they only have about $9,000 according to the chat. Which means they can only afford ONE STONE. That places their odds at only 1 in 4 of even getting the correct stone. And that assumes they buy a stone and not some other bullshit. If they do get a Water Stone, then you're absolutely right that Eevee will be an amazing addition to the team *and* we don't need Lapras because we have our Surf Pokémon. But the odds are not good odds.

TIME TO FIND OUT!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that even if they purchase the correct stone, they then have a 1 in 2 chance of safely using it. They have a 1 in 2 chance of tossing it. Think on that.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #50
Lady Kuno

It took 3 hours to learn Cut. And that's with the HM being untossable. This isn't going to work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON