UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #2826
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You can try to make that argument, but it's pretty well known that Lucy fancies Schroeder and that Sally pines for Linus. Then you've got the popular interpretation of Marcy as a lesbian who likes Peppermint Patty romantically and not just as girl [space] friends. So that only leaves you with Eudora, whom I don't even recall, and Peppermint Patty, whom everyone pairs off with Charlie Brown (if not Marcy).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #2827
Mercutio
Banned

It is now possible to have your own Bulnasaur. This may actually be my favourite thing of the day, overtaking the brilliant pun that is the "Fish Labelling (Wales)" consultation currently being run by the Welsh Government.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #2828
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It is now possible to have your own Bulnasaur. This may actually be my favourite thing of the day, overtaking the brilliant pun that is the "Fish Labelling (Wales)" consultation currently being run by the Welsh Government.
I saw this on OM's tumblr the other day and showed it to Talon, who like many commenters complained about the price. Now all the money is going to Pokémon International.
lilboocorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #2829
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I got pissed off at the people in the comment section complaining about the price. If they were hand carved, it makes a lot of sense the sculptor would charge a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post

I saw this on OM's tumblr the other day and showed it to Talon, who like many commenters complained about the price. Now all the money is going to Pokémon International.
I hope you all feel sick, 'cause now I do.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #2830
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I got pissed off at the people in the comment section complaining about the price. If they were hand carved, it makes a lot of sense the sculptor would charge a lot.
It takes a man ten hours to complete a painting. The painting is oil on canvas and measures 5 feet tall by 3˝ feet wide. It looks similar to this:

Minimum wage where he lives is the equivalent of $8 per hour. He claims that his painting should be priced at $80 on labor alone. The cost of his supplies is, say, $10 in consumed paint and $30 for the canvas. Thus, we might say that the MSRP comes out to $120 and that if he were to offer it to you for half price, $60, that he would be shooting himself in the foot.

Would you pay $60 for a shit painting that you could easily draw up yourself?

It doesn't matter that these Bulbasaurs are handmade. It doesn't matter how easy or how difficult it is for her to make them. $40 for a tiny little clay sculpture that only barely resembles Bulbasaur is outrageous. I have an owl figurine not unlike this one that I got for like $2 when I was a kid. Hell of a lot harder to make than these clay Bulbasaurs.

That's another thing: "sculpted," you wrote? Dude, they're made from clay, not marble. She got some clay, she made a clay Bulbasaur about as good as any 5th grader could do for you, and she has access to a kiln. Glazed the clay, fired it up in the kiln, and voilŕ: your clay chi-chi-chi-Chia Bulbasaur. Clay couldn't have cost her more than $1.50 per unit item. Active labor (i.e. time spent sculpting and managing the kiln; does not include time sitting on one's ass while the kiln operates) could not have been more than 30 minutes per unit item. So tack on a generous $5 (with an imagined minimum wage of $10/hr) and that brings little Bulba up to $7 per unit item for a break-even sales point. Which means that at a pricing of $10 she'd be making nearly 50% profit on top of covering all of her costs. $40 is in excess of 400% profit.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #2831
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

By the sound of it the planters were done using 3D printing.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #2832
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Would you pay $60 for a shit painting that you could easily draw up yourself?
What is the opportunity cost?

Assuming you have the same talent (which your example implies), it means that $60 represents more than the value of the 10 hours labour, because if it was equal you are indifferent between the purchase and are willing to draw it yourself if charged more. But it's all based on what you would otherwise have done with that 10 hours. If I earned $30 an hour on a 10 hour shift, yes, I am perfectly fine purchasing that painting, because financially it would have hurt me to divert attention to drawing it myself. I don't place a very high value on the satisfaction of having painted it myself, almost 100% of the value comes from the cost savings, which is non-existence if my opportunity cost is $30/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
It doesn't matter that these Bulbasaurs are handmade. It doesn't matter how easy or how difficult it is for her to make them. $40 for a tiny little clay sculpture that only barely resembles Bulbasaur is outrageous. I have an owl figurine not unlike this one that I got for like $2 when I was a kid. Hell of a lot harder to make than these clay Bulbasaurs.
That owl you purchased could be so cheap because it was carved in a Chinese sweatshop. While I can get a feel for why the level of detail isn't up to your standards, for me I look at it as something I have 0% chance to make, and it looks good enough that I'd be willing to purchase it. I wouldn't exactly put it on my living room, but it doesn't look out of place in a garden, which was the style of art my brain lumped it in with.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #2833
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You're distracting from the main point with armchair microeconomics. This isn't about whether the price suits the customer. Obviously "the price is right" if it's in the sweet spot for sales to the target demographic. That's the whole idea behind why paintings that look like they were done by a 3-year old can sell for millions while dime-a-dozen beauties on deviantArt or Pixiv won't sell for even a dime.

No, this is about -- as you established with "If they were hand carved, it makes a lot of sense the sculptor would charge a lot" -- whether $40 is objectively a ripoff or not for what's being offered. And it most definitely is. All the more now that we know they were 3D printed, which means that once you cover the investment cost in the 3D printer it's pretty much zero labor and only one material cost -- the cost of the polymer.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #2834
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I think my biggest problem with that price is how TINY those bulbasaurs are. That looks like maybe a 2-inch sculpture with minimal skill or effort involved, filled with soil and planted with some cheap plant.

What I would consider worth $60 or hell, even more, maybe even up to $120, would be a full size Bulbasaur flowerpot. Something you'd have to carry with 2 hands. Ordinarily those sell for $70 but I'd make an exception for something that's so unique and interesting, especially if there were other designs a la chiapets.

That teeny little bulbasaur is probably worth a good $5 to me on a good day, and I'd gladly scoop one up for a dollar at a flea market and call it a square deal, perhaps a bit higher than I'd like to pay for it. That's not a bulbasaur, that's a well-overpriced cheap joke.

In any case, it seems the page is down. Looks like we'll have to make our own Bulbasaurs. :P
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #2835
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well this is awkward:

About thirty-eight minutes ago from the time of this writing, Masuda tweeted about the Bulbasaur chia pet, calling it "AMAZING!!" and "NICE!" as you can clearly see. In other words, soft endorsement of the product by the leader of the development team. His views may not represent The Pokémon Company's or Nintendo's, but still. Possible ammunition for the Etsy vendor?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #2836
Heather
Naga's Voice

If it's an etsy vendor then there's your answer for the price. Almost everything of not everything there is handmade, yes, but since they're selling it through etsy, there's a default price that the seller would pay to order an item. That is the zero profit price as nothing goes to their account. To make any money, they are forced to add markup for the general public price, and whatever the difference between the flatline and the marked up is how much they make for each item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #2837
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
It would make sense Masuda's impressed. Not even his very best methods could get a Bulbasaur as shiny as those two.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #2838
Mercutio
Banned

Well I mean at the end of the day it's a market so if you don't like the price, don't pay. Seemples.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #2839
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Well I mean at the end of the day it's a market so if you don't like the price, don't pay. Seemples.
Yes, but that's no defense against the sanity of my decision to accuse the sale of a Ł2,000 hunk of junk for Ł250,000 as being a ripoff. "It's the right price because the two parties agreed on it" doesn't invalidate ripoffs as a concept.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #2840
Mercutio
Banned

No, and I'm not a vapid free marketer so I completely agree, but the market based counter would be that if there were no market for rip offs, there would be no rip offs. Some people are really that stupid to buy something like that. I buy beer from a bar instead of brewing my own despite the massive mark up.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #2841
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This is a thing, an old thing.

It would have been much more interesting if Theodore was the T-Rex in Jurassic Park.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #2842
Mercutio
Banned

I imagine that Jennifer Saunders will end up going to hell once more.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #2843
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had no idea "valley girl" referred to a stereotype of women from the California central valley. I always lumped "valley girls" in with hillbillies and the like. It's not like we don't have hillbillies, it's just something I associated with the South (and ironically I didn't see many if any while I stayed there).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 AM   #2844
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Haven't you ever heard of the 'valley girl' character archetype? It's not exactly the most uncommon of things. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #2845
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Haven't you ever heard of the 'valley girl' character archetype? It's not exactly the most uncommon of things. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying.
I have heard of it. But I did not know the "valley girl" was a caricature of people from my own backyard. I walk around and that kind of thing is just how people talk. I never knew it was "specific" to this place in particular.

There's some regional colloquialisms I've picked up on, like people saying "hella". But mostly because I can't say that word through my filter.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #2846
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah I would associate valley girl with the OC. Oh God, Marissa, why couldn't we be together?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #2847
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/isnt-petition-response-youre-looking-for
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #2848
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Word Crimes - Weird Al Yankovic. For anyone who's ever been caught in the dilemma between how catchy the tune of Blurred Lines is and how fundamentally awful it is.
This post makes a lot of people look dumb for things they should know, but I wonder what kind of Grammar Goebbels knows something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlcroft
|When Posey came up from the minors, I was slightly obsessed with the idea of him hitting a walk-off homer.

I’d think you want his there: genitive with gerund.
Quote:
It's not that complex.

A gerund is a verbal form that acts in sentences like a noun: it is the name of something. “Running is good exercise.” Or “His fuming and fretting are not fun to watch.” All of those—running, fuming, fretting—are names for things (intangibles, but still “things”). We can see that easily because “Running” is obviously the subject of that simple and unexceptionable sentence.

If a word is a noun (or pronoun), we need to use the genitive (commonly ill-described as the “possessive”) with it. We need “His batting is a pleasure to watch” just as much as we need “His bat has lots of pine tar” (not “Him bat has &c &c”). There are occasions when the accusative can be rightly used: “This is a picture of me doing a cannonball into the pool.” The difference is that there, “me” is the object of the preposition “of”; or, to put it less technically, is the real thing we are discussing. But in the previous sentence, it is equally clearly that it is the batting that we are focusing on.
Quote:
How could one?

“This is me hat”? “I don’t like him attitude”? “That is the nest a swarm bees”? “He was a man his times”? “John hat is brown”? And so on.

About the only form I know of that some are eager to drop is the old-style morphological subjunctive mood: “If I were king” seems somehow inferior to them to “If I was king”. Chacun a son gout, I suppose.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #2849
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
From Facebook's "trending" doodad;

Quote:
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital after she stops breathing during surgery.
... where was she having surgery that she had to be rushed TO a hospital?
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #2850
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
From Facebook's "trending" doodad;

Quote:
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital after she stops breathing during surgery.
... where was she having surgery that she had to be rushed TO a hospital?
Maybe it's one of those surgeries that you find in town and not at an actually hospital already. I've seen a few of those around my town.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc