UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles

Old 09-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #151
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Marion Ette - And with the prick of a finger and the nod of her head, it became clear why such specificities as Oroitz remaining to her left were necessary. Untainted by the stench of flowers, he is to be Minerva’s proxy in this task. The blood mark on his breast is a fragrance line of her own design—one seemingly favored by the as-of-yet unseen dweller of the lake.

Once he’s made sure that Minerva won’t be dealing with an infected finger come morning, Oroitz spreads his wings and takes off, becoming a shadow gliding across the surface of the moonlit pool. The jagged and narrow rocks leading up to the waterfall’s base are little but a sight to look down upon and scoff. If this is supposed to be difficult, it’s only through the lens of clumsy, earthbound humans.

Perched up on a tree branch, Bunnelby watches Oroitz take off before his gaze returns to the bloody rag wrapped around Minerva’s finger. He seems perturbed by the sight—or rather, by the woman’s lack of concern about her wound.

“Is, uh... isn’t that supposed to hurt for you guys?” he quips briefly, staring at it for a few seconds more before he shakes his head, “a-anyways. That’s a pretty clever idea, but there’s a bit of an... itty, bitty problem. You know the caves you’re supposed to go to next? The entrance to that is behind the waterfall,” he says, pointing an overstuffed paw towards the billowing mist obscuring the surrounding cliffside.

Indeed, as Oroitz nears the roaring waters, he notices that the rocky path ventures into the earth just behind the veil of the falls. Of course, his task right now is to collect water and return to his Trainer, but it seems that Minerva’s plan won’t cut out all the treachery from this journey, as hoped.

The deafening crash of water fills the crow’s ears the closer he flies, and droplets of mist lightly wet his perfectly-keened feathers. Yet, the bloodstain upon his chest refuses to wash away, as though soulbound there until its purpose has run out. Closer and closer, facing mists denser and denser, until he can barely see the water’s surface below him...

“Oi! Hold it there, chum!”

A voice calls out from the water, reaching both Minerva and Oroitz’s ears. From the shore, she can see a jagged fin breach the water’s surface—an immediate warning sign that her hunch had been right. The Pokemon’s “hide” has a sort of transparent, vinyl sheen to it, and she faintly spots an air valve poking out from the middle of the star-like pattern atop the Pokemon’s head.

The pool-toy shark watches Oroitz through a pair of beady little eyes that nearly disappear against its dark blue body. Its mouth is like the heavy iron frame of a beartrap, sporting jagged, algae-encrusted teeth which roughly interlock together as the Pokemon grins with unsettling enthusiasm.

“You smell o’lot like human blood there, chum. Ya catch a human wandering ‘round these parts, or what?” they ask through a thickly-slurred accent, “actually, hold up—I ain’t seen you before. You one’a the Lady’s new makes or something?”

It appears her scent has attracted its attention, after all—and with the shark busy trying to chat up Oroitz, its back is turned on Minerva and the shore.

How will the two of them handle this?

---

Missingno. Master - “Maribel... that’s a lovely name,” the King repeats to himself, nodding, “it’s very nice to meet you, Maribel—ah, and you as well, Ekans and Koffing. You may call me Xien. DENNIS was merely an alias that my guide wished for me to use.”

Upon hearing her affirm his request for help, Xien grins widely, and almost shoots up from the throne, “ah, truly? You have my utmost gratitude!” he exclaims, sounding as though he’d been possessed by the essence of joy, “please, I insist that you join me in the banquet hall! I will throw a grand feast in honor of your arrival!”

Though the King does not bow out of station, it’s rather clear that Maribel is to be treated as a guest of honor. For she is a human from the Other Side—an unseen guide, given flesh within this world of ones and zeroes. Whatever stone his previous companion had left unturned, he seems confident that your presence here will finally lay the last of this world’s mysteries to rest.

Bidding her follow, Xein marches out of the throne room, prompting the castle’s residents to bow as he passes by. He sends a servant off to inform the kitchen to begin preparing food, before leading Maribel further down the hall. All the while, he explains a bit more about his predicament.

“For as long as I knew him, DENNIS was ever careful. He was always quite concerned with keeping my equipment as well-maintained as possible. Perhaps rightfully so, considering the harrowing experience we had clearing out a den of Beedrill in the forest near my home,” he explains, his ornate armor glimmering in the candlelight as he walks.

“When we arrived in a new area, he would urge me to look high and low for any new Pokemon we could find. For hours we would plunge into the depths of a cave, or venture into the heart of the forest seeking a creature that existed only in legends,” he says, words filled with fond reminiscence, “I often thought him to be gullible, but in the end our patience was always rewarded with new friends.”

Eventually, the two of them come across a pair of cushioned doors positioned to one side of the hall. As they approach, two butlers emerge from inside, holding the doors open for them to enter. Xien ducks inside, and is immediately beset by another pair of assistants who shed him of his armor, while Maribel is free to take in the hall at her leisure:

The massive room is warmly lit with a combination of hanging chandeliers and the blaze of a freshly-fed hearth. Though brick surrounds you on all faces, the plush carpets that tessellate across the floor give it a more homely vibe than most, well, homes. Perhaps the longest table Maribel has ever laid eyes on is the centerpiece of the hall, already set with dinnerware ahead of the feast to come.

“Ah. It’s nice to be out of this stuffy thing,” Xien says as he steps beside Maribel, rubbing his wrists. Beneath his armor, he wears an elegant, yet somewhat simple ensemble with a white cravat and small swirls of golden thread decorating his dark-blue dress shirt.

He gestures for his guests to sit wherever they pleased, before taking the very edge seat for himself. As he settles in, the butlers disappear through the kitchen doors, briefly filling the dining hall with the succulent smell of meats and sweets being prepared just one room over.

“But eventually, we climbed to the peaks of every mountain in the land, delved into the reaches of its deepest dungeons. We tamed the great Ho-Oh that blessed the land with life, and quelled the anger of its sibling Lugia that threatened to wash everything away in its storms. We met the Pokemon that bridged time, and faced-off against the malevolent homunculus Mewtwo at the bottom of an evil alchemist’s lab.”

His face droops sullenly, and he leans over the table with fingers laced together in a ball, “by the end of it all, we’d met all 251 Pokemon that called Origa home, and yet... he was convinced that there was a 252nd. I know not where he had gotten the idea, but the methods he had me employ bordered on madness. After trying and failing... he simply disappeared, leaving me alone to puzzle out an unfathomable riddle.”

“And so I ask you, human from the Other Side—does such a Pokemon exist? Your Koffing and your Ekans I know well, but the moves they use are foreign to me... surely there are also Pokemon that are beyond the scope of my knowledge, yes?”

Last edited by ShadowDRGN; 09-07-2022 at 08:00 PM.
ShadowDRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:56 PM   #152
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDRGN View Post
Missingno. Master - “Maribel... that’s a lovely name,” the King repeats to himself, nodding, “it’s very nice to meet you, Maribel—ah, and you as well, Ekans and Koffing. You may call me Xien. DENNIS was merely an alias that my guide wished for me to use.”

Upon hearing her affirm his request for help, Xien grins widely, and almost shoots up from the throne, “ah, truly? You have my utmost gratitude!” he exclaims, sounding as though he’d been possessed by the essence of joy, “please, I insist that you join me in the banquet hall! I will throw a grand feast in honor of your arrival!”

Though the King does not bow out of station, it’s rather clear that Maribel is to be treated as a guest of honor. For she is a human from the Other Side—an unseen guide, given flesh within this world of ones and zeroes. Whatever stone his previous companion had left unturned, he seems confident that your presence here will finally lay the last of this world’s mysteries to rest.

Bidding her follow, Xein marches out of the throne room, prompting the castle’s residents to bow as he passes by. He sends a servant off to inform the kitchen to begin preparing food, before leading Maribel further down the hall. All the while, he explains a bit more about his predicament.

“For as long as I knew him, DENNIS was ever careful. He was always quite concerned with keeping my equipment as well-maintained as possible. Perhaps rightfully so, considering the harrowing experience we had clearing out a den of Beedrill in the forest near my home,” he explains, his ornate armor glimmering in the candlelight as he walks.

“When we arrived in a new area, he would urge me to look high and low for any new Pokemon we could find. For hours we would plunge into the depths of a cave, or venture into the heart of the forest seeking a creature that existed only in legends,” he says, words filled with fond reminiscence, “I often thought him to be mad, but in the end our patience was always rewarded with new friends.”

Eventually, the two of them come across a pair of cushioned doors positioned to one side of the hall. As they approach, two butlers emerge from inside, holding the doors open for them to enter. Xien ducks inside, and is immediately beset by another pair of assistants who shed him of his armor, while Maribel is free to take in the hall at her leisure:

The massive room is warmly lit with a combination of hanging chandeliers and the blaze of a freshly-fed hearth. Though brick surrounds you on all faces, the plush carpets that tessellate across the floor give it a more homely vibe than most, well, homes. Perhaps the longest table Maribel has ever laid eyes on is the centerpiece of the hall, already set with dinnerware ahead of the feast to come.

“Ah. It’s nice to be out of this stuffy thing,” Xien says as he steps beside Maribel, rubbing his wrists. Beneath his armor, he wears an elegant, yet somewhat simple ensemble with a white cravat and small swirls of golden thread decorating his dark-blue dress shirt.

He gestures for his guests to sit wherever they pleased, before taking the very edge seat for himself. As he settles in, the butlers disappear through the kitchen doors, briefly filling the dining hall with the succulent smell of meats and sweets being prepared just one room over.

“But eventually, we climbed to the peaks of every mountain in the land, delved into the reaches of its deepest dungeons. We tamed the great Ho-Oh that blessed the land with life, and quelled the anger of its sibling Lugia that threatened to wash everything away in its storms. We met the Pokemon that bridged time, and faced-off against the malevolent homunculus Mewtwo at the bottom of an evil alchemist’s lab.”

His face droops sullenly, and he leans over the table with fingers laced together in a ball, “by the end of it all, we’d met all 251 Pokemon that called Origa home, and yet... he was convinced that there was a 252nd. I know not where he had gotten the idea, but the methods he had me employ bordered on madness. After trying and failing... he simply disappeared, leaving me alone to puzzle out an unfathomable riddle.”

“And so I ask you, human from the Other Side—does such a Pokemon exist? Your Koffing and your Ekans I know well, but the moves they use are foreign to me... surely there are also Pokemon that are beyond the scope of my knowledge, yes?”
Maribel, Ekans, and Koffing nodded in response to the King's words of greeting, before he then stated they could call him Xien. Dennis, as it happened, was more of an alias his guide wished for him to use. It made sense to Maribel, in hindsight- player characters could be named by the player as they pleased, but they did have their default names, and Xien was evidently the default name for this one. She supposed she was going to be going into any future video games with a bit of a fresh perspective from all of this.

Xien was overjoyed that Maribel offered whatever help she could, even going so far as to throwing a grand feast to honor her arrival. "I... Oh, wow, well, thank you," Maribel smiled. "Well, I graciously accept, then," she added. "Ekans, Koffing, I bet the two of you are hungry as well, right?"

"Ekanssss!" Ekans hissed, nodding vigorously.

"Koff Koffiiing!" Koffing chimed in, twirling around as he spoke.

As they followed Xein out of the throne room, it started to sink in to Maribel just how much her presence here was being welcomed. She was being treated as a guest of honor- then again, they had all just established that she was most definitely from this Other Side, which seemed to be what the characters in this game knew the real world as. To see someone from the Other Side in their own realm had to be unprecedented, and a very, very big deal.

Xein explained about his experiences with his guide, calling him the very moniker he himself had been given. Which, Maribel realized, almost certainly was his name in reality- how often does one name the player character after themselves? Maribel herself did that all the time. And DENNIS seemed to be big on completing the entirety of the game... until evidently one last Pokémon proved too elusive. As Xein told the story, they arrived in the banquet hall, which was already being set up for the grand feast. Maribel caught a whiff of pure deliciousness as the butlers wxited through the kitchen doors. Once they had sat down, with Ekans and Koffing once more coming to rest on either side of Maribel, Xein explained that they had met all 251 Pokémon that were known to exist in Origa, but that DENNIS seemed convinced of a 252nd one. This caught Maribel's attention, and not without reason. Was this evidence of some super-secret Pokémon added to the game as an easter egg? Or... a wild Yungoos chase brought about by false rumors conning a gullible player? Either possibility seemed valid at the moment.

Maribel took a moment to consider before she answered. She wanted to be honest, but at the same time she didn't want to give false hope in case the truth of the matter was the worse of the two scenarios she'd envisioned. "There are very many Pokémon to be found in the Other Side," Maribel stated. "Well over 251. Though whether one of them lives unknown in this world, I can't say with certainty at the moment. Those of us in the Other Side who serve as guides, sometimes can fall prey to false rumors, and be made to pursue that which isn't there to be found. It's rare, but it can happen. However, it's also possible that your DENNIS simply gave up in frustration after repeated failures, rather than realizing there was nothing to be found. I don't know myself which is the case in your situation, but whatever the answer is, I'll do my best to find it out and set your mind at ease either way," she said. "Once we've eaten, please, by all means, let me try and make sense of this unfathomable riddle."
Old 09-13-2022, 08:50 PM   #153
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

ShadowDRGN - Mercury and Hanten's role as a pair of newlyweds may require significant effort to play pretend from both Pokémon, but Gossifleur's visions for the trainer himself seem to strike a chord. Giuseppe Goto as the Spectre of Love - it had a certain ring to it, didn't it? A role as perfectly tailored to the man as the kimono depicted in Gossifleur's artwork, suited to his natural charisma and magnetism. Besides, who could deny the appeal of being the star of the show - the protagonist of the story? It was truly a flattering offer, but one that Goto ultimately refuses in favor of encouraging the Phantump to play the role as intended, evolution or no - a choice which Flabebe openly applauds.

The tailor then takes one step farther, his posture and tone warning of his intent to complicate the uncomplicated, and point out the imperfections in a seemingly perfect solution. With an almost serpentine hiss, he notes that placing a human in the role of the Spectre would make the romantic aspects of Mr. Wiseoak's manuscript decidedly taboo. This observation shocks and appalls Gossifleur, who blushes fiercely, horrified that her innocent intentions would be so terribly misunderstood. The Pokémon around her, for the most part, seem similarly aghast, displaying various degrees of shock and disgust. Mr. Wiseoak, however, merely chuckles dryly.

"Oh, that really is the problem with this language, isn't it? Love is such a dreadfully imprecise word. One can love one's suit, love a good meal, love the color purple, love one's Pokémon, love one's spouse... Miscommunication abounds! Even so, I daresay that it would not take that many tweaks to the script to alter the story from one of romantic love to one of the love that Pokémon have for a beloved trainer, and the jealousy arising over being the so-called favorite. The lack of precision in my chosen title could allow for darker interpretations of the leading ladies' intentions, but such threats of being relegated to shelves of baser material are quite empty, my good man. You will have to try harder to dissuade me from this path... For if you will not play my Spectre, there is no one else."

With a motion to Gossifleur and Prop Master Rillaboom, Mr. Wiseoak turns toward the room in which he was originally hiding - from this distance, it appears to be some hybrid between a dressing room and a workshop. "Come, now. Let's see what we can do..."

Flabebe squeaks out in protest, but Mr. Wiseoak turns a deaf ear to her, seeming to have already decided to turn his back on her solution. The sound booth weighs in with, "What we've got here is... failure to communicate!"

With Gossifleur readily siding with the director, flouncing off to assist him with his plans, Goto will have to think fast. Be yourself. Easier said than done, perhaps, but there has to be a way to encourage the Phantump...

What will Goto and his crew do?
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #154
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - This news comes as something of a shock to the king. The tremendous realization is clear as day on his face as Xien sits there, chin couched tightly within his palm. He looks perturbed, and yet it's as though some scholarly part of him is delighted.

"I see. So the world I live in is truly a small one, indeed," he utters, incapable of anything except understating the point. A plush creak echoes through the room as the man leans back in his chair, his eyes lost in thoughts much grander than himself.

The sounds of the kitchen stirring soon fills the void, as attendants come marching forth armed with silver platters and pitchers. Roasts and sugar-smothered pastries soon fill the table from end-to-end, leaving not an inch of tablecloth bare. The smell of rich spices chokes the air, promising flavors beyond anything a commoner has ever experienced.

"Ah. I apologize. There will be a time for contemplating what you've told me—but for now, we feast! Come on out, my boon companions!"

Another set of doors fly open, and out comes a group of six powerful-looking Pokemon: Tyranitar, Lapras, Skarmory, Gengar, Ampharos, and lastly Rapidash! Rare and noble, it's clear at a glance to a Champion's granddaughter that they are able to go toe-to-toe with the best her world has to offer—even if their movepools are several decades behind.

The King’s party settles down around the table, and begins to dig in. Gem-encrusted cakes are quickly scarfed down by the Rock and Steel-typed behemoths, while the rest of Xien’s crew enjoys their own catered dishes. Xien smiles, performing the rather unbecoming task of scooping and setting an assortment of feed and berries out for Rapidash himself. There's not a shred of caution in his movements, not even as the steed lowers its head down like a crane to graze at the plate, its fiery mane licking harmlessly at his hand.

The man—well and truly—adores his Pokemon. All 251 (and possibly counting) of them.

"Once we're done, we'll be heading for the Shrine of Silence. It is one of the many dungeons we explored in our quest to defeat Maredus," explains the King in-between sips of conspicuously non-alcoholic grape beverage.

"It's an eerie place that once held the legendary blade, Durandal. Magical energy is nullified there, so I fear special attacks will have no effect,’ he says, indicating to the Pokemon present in the room, “the spot that DENNIS had me investigate all those years ago is near the bottom. Some small niche that seemed to serve no other purpose than decorative. I've attempted every method of interacting with it that I can think of—and yet I've come back with nothing to show for it."

There’s a long silence after that ;the King intent to let everyone savor the food before them without all this complicated talk getting in the way. Eventually, though, he raises his eyes to meet the girl, and something beyond the bareness of the dishes tells her that dinner is about to wrap up.

"Tell me, Maribel from the Other Side—our enemies will be much more powerful than the guards you faced earlier. Are you prepared to tackle this challenge?"
Old 09-29-2022, 03:47 PM   #155
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - This news comes as something of a shock to the king. The tremendous realization is clear as day on his face as Xien sits there, chin couched tightly within his palm. He looks perturbed, and yet it's as though some scholarly part of him is delighted.

"I see. So the world I live in is truly a small one, indeed," he utters, incapable of anything except understating the point. A plush creak echoes through the room as the man leans back in his chair, his eyes lost in thoughts much grander than himself.

The sounds of the kitchen stirring soon fills the void, as attendants come marching forth armed with silver platters and pitchers. Roasts and sugar-smothered pastries soon fill the table from end-to-end, leaving not an inch of tablecloth bare. The smell of rich spices chokes the air, promising flavors beyond anything a commoner has ever experienced.

"Ah. I apologize. There will be a time for contemplating what you've told me—but for now, we feast! Come on out, my boon companions!"

Another set of doors fly open, and out comes a group of six powerful-looking Pokemon: Tyranitar, Lapras, Skarmory, Gengar, Ampharos, and lastly Rapidash! Rare and noble, it's clear at a glance to a Champion's granddaughter that they are able to go toe-to-toe with the best her world has to offer—even if their movepools are several decades behind.

The King’s party settles down around the table, and begins to dig in. Gem-encrusted cakes are quickly scarfed down by the Rock and Steel-typed behemoths, while the rest of Xien’s crew enjoys their own catered dishes. Xien smiles, performing the rather unbecoming task of scooping and setting an assortment of feed and berries out for Rapidash himself. There's not a shred of caution in his movements, not even as the steed lowers its head down like a crane to graze at the plate, its fiery mane licking harmlessly at his hand.

The man—well and truly—adores his Pokemon. All 251 (and possibly counting) of them.

"Once we're done, we'll be heading for the Shrine of Silence. It is one of the many dungeons we explored in our quest to defeat Maredus," explains the King in-between sips of conspicuously non-alcoholic grape beverage.

"It's an eerie place that once held the legendary blade, Durandal. Magical energy is nullified there, so I fear special attacks will have no effect,’ he says, indicating to the Pokemon present in the room, “the spot that DENNIS had me investigate all those years ago is near the bottom. Some small niche that seemed to serve no other purpose than decorative. I've attempted every method of interacting with it that I can think of—and yet I've come back with nothing to show for it."

There’s a long silence after that ;the King intent to let everyone savor the food before them without all this complicated talk getting in the way. Eventually, though, he raises his eyes to meet the girl, and something beyond the bareness of the dishes tells her that dinner is about to wrap up.

"Tell me, Maribel from the Other Side—our enemies will be much more powerful than the guards you faced earlier. Are you prepared to tackle this challenge?"
Maribel's revelation was more than Xien was prepared to handle, leaving the man in a state of stunned shock as he attempted to wrap his head around the fact that there were way more than the 251 Pokémon he was accustomed to. Maribel was half tempted to send out a Pokémon or two that would further blow the king's mind, but resisted, especially as the time so clearly came to eat. But before Maribel could turn her full attention to the feast, Xien brought out his team of Pokémon. Maribel marveled at the powerful creatures. Tyranitar was a Pokémon she hoped to have for herself someday. Skarmory and Ampharos were undeniably cool. Even the Lapras, Gengar, and Rapidash were amazing to see, even though they were Pokémon she saw at home every day, under the ownership of her parents. One thing was certain- these were powerful Pokémon. Maribel would know- she grew up around powerful Pokémon, and she could tell by looking that these would be no slouches against some of the best back in her world.

Xien even fed his Rapidash himself, even as the fiery mane licked at his hand. Maribel knew better than to show concern- it was a well documented fact that a Ponyta or Rapidash's mane would only burn those they didn't trust, and Xien's Rapidash very clearly trusted him. Maribel had seen this sort of thing with her father's Rapidash. Obviously, Xien adored his Pokémon, every last one of them, however large a small army that constituted. Maribel found herself smiling as this occurred to her- it was a quality she'd always admired in her father. She grew up with the opinion that Keith and Willa Masters were the greatest Pokémon Trainers in the world, and strove to be as good as them.

Xien then explained that they would be heading for the Shrine of Silence, one of many dungeons explored during what had to be the game's main story. There was a spot near the bottom that didn't seem to be anything more than decorative, and yet that was where DENNIS had the man investigate. And investigate he did, but with nothing to show for his efforts.

Following this, a silence, which Maribel and her Pokémon took as their cue to dig in. The food was as delicious as it smelled; even Koffing, whose typical diet consisted of more garbage fare in the most literal sense, found the feast just as enjoyable as Maribel and Ekans did.

Eventually, however, Xien gave Maribel a glance that clued the young Trainer into the fact that the meal was reaching its conclusion. Or would have done so were it not for the fact that the dwindling food quantities were doing that job for him. Nevertheless, he spoke to Maribel, stating that the enemies they would face would be far stronger than the guards from before, and he asked her if she was prepared to tackle the challenge.

Maribel thought about it. Those guards, while ultimately falling in defeat to her Ekans and Koffing, were no pushovers by any means. And in an area that nullified magical energy, and thus might very well cancel out the effects of special attacks, that might well put Maribel at all the more of a disadvantage...

"Ekansss!"

"Koffiing!"

Maribel turned to look- her moment of serious contemplation had not been lost on her Poison-types. And as she looked, she could see the brave determination in their expressions. They took on that Machoke and Mr. Mime. They knew just as well as she did that stronger enemies than even those would surely be no joke. They knew this, and still they felt ready. And Maribel, being their Trainer, could not help but smile at them. "You're right," she nodded, before turning back to Xien. "We're ready," she said firmly.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:30 AM   #156
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
ShadowDRGN - Mercury and Hanten's role as a pair of newlyweds may require significant effort to play pretend from both Pokémon, but Gossifleur's visions for the trainer himself seem to strike a chord. Giuseppe Goto as the Spectre of Love - it had a certain ring to it, didn't it? A role as perfectly tailored to the man as the kimono depicted in Gossifleur's artwork, suited to his natural charisma and magnetism. Besides, who could deny the appeal of being the star of the show - the protagonist of the story? It was truly a flattering offer, but one that Goto ultimately refuses in favor of encouraging the Phantump to play the role as intended, evolution or no - a choice which Flabebe openly applauds.

The tailor then takes one step farther, his posture and tone warning of his intent to complicate the uncomplicated, and point out the imperfections in a seemingly perfect solution. With an almost serpentine hiss, he notes that placing a human in the role of the Spectre would make the romantic aspects of Mr. Wiseoak's manuscript decidedly taboo. This observation shocks and appalls Gossifleur, who blushes fiercely, horrified that her innocent intentions would be so terribly misunderstood. The Pokémon around her, for the most part, seem similarly aghast, displaying various degrees of shock and disgust. Mr. Wiseoak, however, merely chuckles dryly.

"Oh, that really is the problem with this language, isn't it? Love is such a dreadfully imprecise word. One can love one's suit, love a good meal, love the color purple, love one's Pokémon, love one's spouse... Miscommunication abounds! Even so, I daresay that it would not take that many tweaks to the script to alter the story from one of romantic love to one of the love that Pokémon have for a beloved trainer, and the jealousy arising over being the so-called favorite. The lack of precision in my chosen title could allow for darker interpretations of the leading ladies' intentions, but such threats of being relegated to shelves of baser material are quite empty, my good man. You will have to try harder to dissuade me from this path... For if you will not play my Spectre, there is no one else."

With a motion to Gossifleur and Prop Master Rillaboom, Mr. Wiseoak turns toward the room in which he was originally hiding - from this distance, it appears to be some hybrid between a dressing room and a workshop. "Come, now. Let's see what we can do..."

Flabebe squeaks out in protest, but Mr. Wiseoak turns a deaf ear to her, seeming to have already decided to turn his back on her solution. The sound booth weighs in with, "What we've got here is... failure to communicate!"

With Gossifleur readily siding with the director, flouncing off to assist him with his plans, Goto will have to think fast. Be yourself. Easier said than done, perhaps, but there has to be a way to encourage the Phantump...

What will Goto and his crew do?
Their horrified reactions are natural, of course. Goto didn’t expect anything less, given what he just implied—truthfully, it would’ve been more concerning had he not crossed a boundary.

It’s not just the film crew that recoil, however. Hanten crawls under the banquet table to hide her embarrassment, while Mercury shoots a glance at the tailor that drips with exasperated disapproval. Any anger towards his Trainer’s antics burned out long ago, but this edges pretty close to re-igniting a very short fuse.

“You know I meant it in jest,” Goto replies to Clefairy's wordless, yet pointed expression with defensive indignation. Not that he could sway the Fairy-type to believe him—not when Mercury’s seen through every other one of his facades as one of his first partners-in-crime.

No, between them it’s clear what it is: Yet another way to test the company around him before they get too close. Mr. Wiseoak may just be a kindred spirit, but he, too, is putting on a mask in front of others. Goto couldn’t be content to just let someone in—no, he felt a compulsive need to prod and pry until he could see someone’s true face beneath.

Knowing that there is nothing to hide between them, Mercury’s silent pleading is enough to soften Goto’s trenchant smirk. The tailor sighs, his posture slumping against the wall as he watches the procession of Mr. Wiseoak’s underlings disappear from view.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right,” he replies, rolling his head back as he glimpses the blinding set lights, “I feel it’s best if we wait until things have cooled down, however. It’s not as though it’s too late to correct that mistake...”

Appeased, Mercury can’t help but chuckle at his Trainer’s needlessly disdainful tone. A rustling comes from under the table, and Hanten’s outline emerges from the white cloth waving her arms, whilst emitting a warbling moan. Goto, too, finds himself joining in on his partner’s laughter.

“By the way...” Goto says, directing his attention towards Flabebe and the faceless presence inside the sound booth, “I do apologize for my crudeness, but I'll admit I'm curious—why is our director so averse to performing as he is now? He seems to be very proud of his work, but I have a bad feeling that he’d sooner wear a blank sheet than cast a Phantump as the star.”

Last edited by ShadowDRGN; 10-12-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #157
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

MissingNo. Master - Maribel’s resolve heartens Xien, and the king rises from his seat with an expression to match. It’s as though the apathy that the girl had found him in has completely burned away in the face of her fiery spirit—for she arrives bearing a second chance to finish the hunt for the elusive No. 252.

“Let us be off at once, then. Follow me, everyone!” he calls to his Pokemon. Rising one-by-one, they each file up behind him, their faces sporting grins that tell of their excitement for a new adventure. Servants flank the doors as the king’s procession passes through, each strapping a piece of armor on Xien’s body, until he is once again returned to his golden visage.

Rather than return to the entrance of the castle where Maribel had spawned, the king leads her and his party up the stairs, until they eventually emerge atop the roof. As the daylight hits her face, the young Trainer can look around to see lush countryside sprawling out in every direction. The greens and browns painting the rolling hills are blindingly vivid—in fact, the entire appearance of this world evokes the almost childlike simplicity of the game’s limited palette.

Off in the distance, she also spots mountains, lakes, even swamps and tundra occupying the different corners of this world. The silhouette of each area’s temples and other dungeons catches her eye—all of them charted and explored down to the last Pokemon that dwells within... all except one.

“Normally, we would have quite the trek ahead of us,” Xien explains as he returns all but one of his Pokemon to their balls, “the mountains that harbor the shrine are grueling. Thankfully, with Skarmory’s aid, we should be able to reach the gates in no time at all.”

The steel-clad bird lowers itself to the ground, calmly letting Xien climb upon its back. The king turns to Maribel, aiding her onto his mount, if necessary, before patting his Pokemon gently on the neck. Skarmory slowly rises, spreading its wings wide as it prepares to take off.

“Fly! To the Shrine of Silence!”

With a single wingbeat, Skarmory launches itself high into the air. Wind rushes across Maribel’s face, but she remains secure in her seat as the bird soars across the countryside, and into the heart of the mountains...

It truly does feel like only seconds pass before the two of them touch down at a trail of rust-red rock. The spires of the castle are now only a faint shadow in the distance, and what lies before her now screams late-game area. The mountain’s face is barren and wind-scarred, and what she can see of the trail leading up to this point is littered with perilous foes and obstacles.

Having thankfully bypassed all of that hassle, the two turn their attention to where the road yet leads. Hiding in the shadow of the mountain’s peak is a yawning chasm, flanked on either side by massive statues that have been carved from the rock. Though weathered and crumbling, the visage of knights wielding swords is easy to make out, but strangely, the statues’ mouths seem to be missing entirely.

Xien walks up beside Maribel, taking a deep breath of thin mountain air, “as I mentioned, the Shrine of Silence harbors a powerful magic seal. Special attacks are nullified completely, and the Pokemon that guard its halls take full advantage of that fact.”

The king holds out his hand to her, gripping tightly a coil of rope and two bottles of strange medicine, “take these. If we encounter too much trouble, use the Escape Rope. As for those bottles, they contain medicine that will strengthen your Pokemon’s abilities... use them at your discretion.”

*You receive an Escape Rope, 1 X-Attack, and 1 X-Defend!*

It seems this is Maribel’s last chance to make any more preparations before delving into the shrine. What will she do?
Old 10-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #158
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
MissingNo. Master - Maribel’s resolve heartens Xien, and the king rises from his seat with an expression to match. It’s as though the apathy that the girl had found him in has completely burned away in the face of her fiery spirit—for she arrives bearing a second chance to finish the hunt for the elusive No. 252.

“Let us be off at once, then. Follow me, everyone!” he calls to his Pokemon. Rising one-by-one, they each file up behind him, their faces sporting grins that tell of their excitement for a new adventure. Servants flank the doors as the king’s procession passes through, each strapping a piece of armor on Xien’s body, until he is once again returned to his golden visage.

Rather than return to the entrance of the castle where Maribel had spawned, the king leads her and his party up the stairs, until they eventually emerge atop the roof. As the daylight hits her face, the young Trainer can look around to see lush countryside sprawling out in every direction. The greens and browns painting the rolling hills are blindingly vivid—in fact, the entire appearance of this world evokes the almost childlike simplicity of the game’s limited palette.

Off in the distance, she also spots mountains, lakes, even swamps and tundra occupying the different corners of this world. The silhouette of each area’s temples and other dungeons catches her eye—all of them charted and explored down to the last Pokemon that dwells within... all except one.

“Normally, we would have quite the trek ahead of us,” Xien explains as he returns all but one of his Pokemon to their balls, “the mountains that harbor the shrine are grueling. Thankfully, with Skarmory’s aid, we should be able to reach the gates in no time at all.”

The steel-clad bird lowers itself to the ground, calmly letting Xien climb upon its back. The king turns to Maribel, aiding her onto his mount, if necessary, before patting his Pokemon gently on the neck. Skarmory slowly rises, spreading its wings wide as it prepares to take off.

“Fly! To the Shrine of Silence!”

With a single wingbeat, Skarmory launches itself high into the air. Wind rushes across Maribel’s face, but she remains secure in her seat as the bird soars across the countryside, and into the heart of the mountains...

It truly does feel like only seconds pass before the two of them touch down at a trail of rust-red rock. The spires of the castle are now only a faint shadow in the distance, and what lies before her now screams late-game area. The mountain’s face is barren and wind-scarred, and what she can see of the trail leading up to this point is littered with perilous foes and obstacles.

Having thankfully bypassed all of that hassle, the two turn their attention to where the road yet leads. Hiding in the shadow of the mountain’s peak is a yawning chasm, flanked on either side by massive statues that have been carved from the rock. Though weathered and crumbling, the visage of knights wielding swords is easy to make out, but strangely, the statues’ mouths seem to be missing entirely.

Xien walks up beside Maribel, taking a deep breath of thin mountain air, “as I mentioned, the Shrine of Silence harbors a powerful magic seal. Special attacks are nullified completely, and the Pokemon that guard its halls take full advantage of that fact.”

The king holds out his hand to her, gripping tightly a coil of rope and two bottles of strange medicine, “take these. If we encounter too much trouble, use the Escape Rope. As for those bottles, they contain medicine that will strengthen your Pokemon’s abilities... use them at your discretion.”

*You receive an Escape Rope, 1 X-Attack, and 1 X-Defend!*

It seems this is Maribel’s last chance to make any more preparations before delving into the shrine. What will she do?
In the face of Maribel's resolve, Xien seemed ready to tackle this quest with confidence anew. He rose from his seat, called for his Pokémon to follow him, and as he led the way out, his servants gradually put the man's armor back on him, which was admittedly kinda cool, in Maribel's opinion. She followed along, taking but a moment to withdraw Ekans and Koffing, at least for the time being.

They didn't return to the entrance of the castle, however- rather, they went up the stairs, up, further up, until they reached the roof. And the view was gorgeous. Maybe not quite to the same standards as the world Maribel knew, as older games such as this had their graphical limitations, and then there was something to be said for varying artistic styles, lots of things to take into account. And with such things accounted for, Maribel couldn't deny, this was a nice view indeed.

Xien explained that while it would normally be a lengthy trek, his Skarmory would make the journey much shorter. Maribel nodded in agreement- with a Salamence as her starter, she was no stranger to the swifter speed of air travel. And even then, she had her own memories of her youth, the occasional flight on the back of her dad's Crobat or in the safe and secure clutches of her mom's Yanmega. Still, a Skarmory would be new territory for her, for sure, but she was by no means deterred by the promise of the new and unfamiliar. That said, she still accepted what little help from Xein she needed when climbing up on Skarmory. As I said, unfamiliar.

And they were off! The flight was exhilarating, but oh-so brief, lasting what felt like mere seconds before they touched back down. Then again, fast travel in games like these tended to really be on the brief side, so it didn't surprise her so much. Maribel got a look at their new location, and hello, late-game area! The gloves were off here, Maribel could tell just by looking. They had mercifully bypassed numerous enemies and obstacles, Skarmory having taken them directly where they needed to be.

As they dismounted, Maribel took a moment to bow to their ride. "Thank you, Skarmory," she said- her parents had always taught her to thank any Pokémon that provided her with transportation. Then, her attention turned to Xien, who explained yet again that the powerful magic seal within the Shrine of Silence would nullify special attacks completely. With it, however, came a new tidbit- the Pokémon guarding its halls would take full advantage of the inability to use special moves. Maribel nodded, taking this in, before receiving the Escape Rope, X Attack, and X Defense from Xien. "Thank you," she said. "I'll put them to good use when the time is right," she promised.

With that, it seemed the time was well and truly upon them. Maribel took a deep breath and exhaled, then produced the same two Poké Balls. "Come out- Ekans and Koffing!" she declared, throwing them into the air.

The pair of Poison-types materialized simultaneously. "Ekanssss!" Ekans hissed.

"Koffiiing!" Koffing chimed in.

"All right," Maribel said to her Pokémon. "Now, do you remember what Xien was saying to us earlier?" she asked them.

"Ekansss..." considered Ekans. Then, he perked up at once, and mimed the action of trying and failing to launch some sort of long-range attack.

Maribel nodded. "Very good, yes- we won't be able to use special attacks in there, so let's all keep that in mind in any battles to come, OK? But here's something to remember- that also goes for our opponents," she added with a smile.

"Ekanssss," Ekans hissed, nodding his approval. Surely his Intimidate would count for all the more in there.

"Koff Koffiiiing!" Koffing chimed in, doing a few dizzyingly quick twirls in midair, just as her dad was known to do. Her kind were known for their Defense. This was something she felt she could work with.

"That's the spirit," Maribel nodded. "And also," she added, on a sudden inspiration, "I think these might be useful as well." As she said this, she reached into her bag and produced two Scarecrow Vests. She put one on Ekans and the other on Koffing, fitting them as best she could, considering neither Ekans nor Koffing were particularly well suited to wearing vests, of the scarecrow variety or otherwise. But she made them work all the same. "These should further lower the Attack power of any enemy we're up against," she stated. "And if we go up against any Flying-types, they'll work even better there. They do nothing to weaken special attacks, but then, this place should have that covered as it is," she said with a sly smile.

"Ekanssss!" Ekans hissed, admiring how he looked in his Scarecrow Vest.

"Koffiiiing!" Koffing nodded.

Then, Koffing floated over and nuzzled Maribel affectionately, and Ekans slithered over to wrap his Trainer in a gentle hug. Maribel giggled and hugged her Pokémon back, but they broke apart before very long. "...all right. Are we all set?" Maribel asked. With more nods and affirmative responses from both Ekans and Koffing, Maribel nodded back. "Then let's head on in there," she said determinedly, adjusting the brim of her Mega Hat.

*Obtained the Escape Rope!*

*Obtained the X Attack!*

*Obtained the X Defense!*

And as of this post, officially equipping both of my Scarecrow Vests [1] [1] to Ekans and Koffing.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:16 PM   #159
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - Perhaps it’s the spirit of the season back on the Other Side, but in puzzling over the challenge ahead of her, Maribel comes up with a rather novel solution. Xien watches curiously as Maribel digs through her seemingly bottomless pack, and his eyes widen as she produces the two rather spooky pieces of equipment. At this point, she’s becoming well-acquainted with the King’s look of humble thoughtfulness before the unfamiliar.

“I see. So this armor has a special effect against a certain type,” he says after Maribel explains the armor’s effect to her Pokemon (any by extension, him), “so, the items that Pokemon can wield in your world are much more complex. Fascinating...” he muses to himself as he inspects the armor that’s been haphazardly fastened to her Poison-types’ unconventional bodies.

This is no time for idle contemplation, however. The young trainer declares her intent to go, and he doesn’t hesitate for a moment in joining her. He moves with confidence, acts with caution, and speaks with the utmost excitement in his voice. He is no longer a mere vessel for a player’s wishes, but a separate entity brought to life by their will—even if DENNIS has long departed and abandoned him, still, he is devoted to solving the mystery they started together.

Within the gateway to the shrine is an inky darkness, penetrated by neither sun nor torchlight. The air becomes still and musty the moment she steps across the threshold—an act that feels akin to being transported somewhere else entirely. Glancing at the entrance behind her, she sees not the mountainous exterior she just left, but instead a featureless pool of blinding white light.

“You can feel the effects of the seal now, can’t you?” Xien asks. She has to close her eyes to really notice it, but something that has always been with her—some sort of background noise that tickled so very subtly at her soul—has now fallen silent.

It is the type of emptiness where one cannot hope to realize the importance of what was taken, until it is gone.

“Luckily, non-offensive moves will still work fine, even under this oppressive atmosphere,” Xien notes, reaching for his Pokeball. With a click of the button, Maribel can briefly catch a glimpse of Ampharos appearing before them in the darkness.

“Ampharos! Use Flash!

The King shields his eyes as the orbs adorning the electric sheep’s crown and tail crackle with static, and proceed to bathe the walls in a cool glow. The shadows recede, and the off-putting air within the shrine is matched only by the cold and forbidding stonework enclosing them. Murals carved into the wall lay in indecipherable pieces, their legends erased by the decay of time.

The corridors before them are bare on features, endlessly twisting and branching in maze-like fashion. Having navigated this place once before, Xien has little issue leading Maribel down the most direct path to the temple’s depths.

Little changes from floor to floor, except for a creeping sense that the two of them are being watched growing ever stronger with each flight of stairs they reach. They haven’t encountered any Pokemon just yet, but the sound of their cries echoing through the halls reminds Maribel that they can be around any corner, at any time.

Floor five. This one seems different to the rest. The light from Ampharos reveals half of a massive chamber, encircled by statues like the ones flanking the shrine’s entrance. The floor is little but a heap of dirt, as though this room was simply left unfinished by its builder.

Xien stops just short of stepping onto the earthen arena, and the look in his eyes suggests caution, “be careful. A powerful Pokemon blocked the way here, once, and there’s no telling if—”

Before he can explain further, a tremble in the earth catches both of them off-guard! Pieces of loose brick crash down from the ceiling, creating a veil of dust within the center of the room! The threat of the entire chamber collapsing becomes very real as the shaking reaches a violent crescendo, and then—

“Liiiiiix!”

A mass of steel breaches the earth as easily as water. Maribel catches glimpses of it from within the swirl of debris—a monster with a spade-shaped head, trailed by a long, serpentine body. Its many segments are topped by fins that seem to aid in digging through the earth like a screw—and by the way they gleam in the light, they’d make quick work of flesh just as well.

“Blast!” Xien exclaims, quickly regaining his footing as the quake subsides, “I would’ve hoped that without a blade to guard, Steelix would’ve long left this place... Maribel, we will have to fight to get through it. I can only provide a single Pokemon, as Ampharos will need to maintain our light. I’m counting on your Pokemon to find some way around its defenses!”

Before them is a grinning behemoth. The iron-wrought serpent that dwells within the border between earth and hell. It waits patiently for you to come closer and attack, arrogant in the faultless defense of its armor and the futility of attempting to target its weaknesses.

What will Maribel do?
Old 10-31-2022, 03:39 PM   #160
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - Perhaps it’s the spirit of the season back on the Other Side, but in puzzling over the challenge ahead of her, Maribel comes up with a rather novel solution. Xien watches curiously as Maribel digs through her seemingly bottomless pack, and his eyes widen as she produces the two rather spooky pieces of equipment. At this point, she’s becoming well-acquainted with the King’s look of humble thoughtfulness before the unfamiliar.

“I see. So this armor has a special effect against a certain type,” he says after Maribel explains the armor’s effect to her Pokemon (any by extension, him), “so, the items that Pokemon can wield in your world are much more complex. Fascinating...” he muses to himself as he inspects the armor that’s been haphazardly fastened to her Poison-types’ unconventional bodies.

This is no time for idle contemplation, however. The young trainer declares her intent to go, and he doesn’t hesitate for a moment in joining her. He moves with confidence, acts with caution, and speaks with the utmost excitement in his voice. He is no longer a mere vessel for a player’s wishes, but a separate entity brought to life by their will—even if DENNIS has long departed and abandoned him, still, he is devoted to solving the mystery they started together.

Within the gateway to the shrine is an inky darkness, penetrated by neither sun nor torchlight. The air becomes still and musty the moment she steps across the threshold—an act that feels akin to being transported somewhere else entirely. Glancing at the entrance behind her, she sees not the mountainous exterior she just left, but instead a featureless pool of blinding white light.

“You can feel the effects of the seal now, can’t you?” Xien asks. She has to close her eyes to really notice it, but something that has always been with her—some sort of background noise that tickled so very subtly at her soul—has now fallen silent.

It is the type of emptiness where one cannot hope to realize the importance of what was taken, until it is gone.

“Luckily, non-offensive moves will still work fine, even under this oppressive atmosphere,” Xien notes, reaching for his Pokeball. With a click of the button, Maribel can briefly catch a glimpse of Ampharos appearing before them in the darkness.

“Ampharos! Use Flash!

The King shields his eyes as the orbs adorning the electric sheep’s crown and tail crackle with static, and proceed to bathe the walls in a cool glow. The shadows recede, and the off-putting air within the shrine is matched only by the cold and forbidding stonework enclosing them. Murals carved into the wall lay in indecipherable pieces, their legends erased by the decay of time.

The corridors before them are bare on features, endlessly twisting and branching in maze-like fashion. Having navigated this place once before, Xien has little issue leading Maribel down the most direct path to the temple’s depths.

Little changes from floor to floor, except for a creeping sense that the two of them are being watched growing ever stronger with each flight of stairs they reach. They haven’t encountered any Pokemon just yet, but the sound of their cries echoing through the halls reminds Maribel that they can be around any corner, at any time.

Floor five. This one seems different to the rest. The light from Ampharos reveals half of a massive chamber, encircled by statues like the ones flanking the shrine’s entrance. The floor is little but a heap of dirt, as though this room was simply left unfinished by its builder.

Xien stops just short of stepping onto the earthen arena, and the look in his eyes suggests caution, “be careful. A powerful Pokemon blocked the way here, once, and there’s no telling if—”

Before he can explain further, a tremble in the earth catches both of them off-guard! Pieces of loose brick crash down from the ceiling, creating a veil of dust within the center of the room! The threat of the entire chamber collapsing becomes very real as the shaking reaches a violent crescendo, and then—

“Liiiiiix!”

A mass of steel breaches the earth as easily as water. Maribel catches glimpses of it from within the swirl of debris—a monster with a spade-shaped head, trailed by a long, serpentine body. Its many segments are topped by fins that seem to aid in digging through the earth like a screw—and by the way they gleam in the light, they’d make quick work of flesh just as well.

“Blast!” Xien exclaims, quickly regaining his footing as the quake subsides, “I would’ve hoped that without a blade to guard, Steelix would’ve long left this place... Maribel, we will have to fight to get through it. I can only provide a single Pokemon, as Ampharos will need to maintain our light. I’m counting on your Pokemon to find some way around its defenses!”

Before them is a grinning behemoth. The iron-wrought serpent that dwells within the border between earth and hell. It waits patiently for you to come closer and attack, arrogant in the faultless defense of its armor and the futility of attempting to target its weaknesses.

What will Maribel do?
Xien was understandably baffled by the Scarecrow Vests, having seen nothing of the sort in his world before. She nodded as he attempted to grasp the effect of the item- he seemed to get the gist of it, in that it had a special effect against Flying, though Maribel was thinking he would possibly soon see for himself that the stuff worked to some extent on anything. Just, even moreso when it came to Flying-types.

With all said and done, onward they moved, through the entrance and into the shrine, and boy, what a difference. The very air became still and musty, and to Maribel it felt as though she had been transported somewhere else. It brought back, for a brief moment, the memory of when she had stepped outside the Poisonous Palace alongside her parents, only to realize the three of them had gone ten years back in time. She glanced backwards, seeing naught but white light shining in from the outside, not one pebble of the mountainous scenery visible from in here, even this close to the entrance.

Xien ventured to suggest that she could feel the effects of the seal now, and while initially she didn't notice anything in that regard, Maribel closed her eyes, concentrated, and was able to pick up on something. Or to be more specific, the absence of something. Something felt like it was missing. It was extremely subtle, but definitely there. Or... not there. You know what I mean. "...I feel it, yeah," Maribel nodded. "That's... Ekans, Koffing, do you feel it, too?"

"Ekansss," Ekans hissed, eyes closed, nodding his agreement.

"Koffiiiing," Koffing chimed in, uncharacteristically calm as she processed this unfamiliar sensation.

Xien then assured Maribel that non-offensive moves would serve them just fine, and to prove this point, he sent out his Ampharos and had it use Flash to light the way. "...Whoooa," Maribel exhaled, glancing around at the forbidding stonework, the faded murals carved into the walls. There wasn't too terribly much to this place, but damn if it wasn't cool!

Xien, having been here before, knew the way and knew it well, and it came to no surprise that he was the one to lead the way, let alone lead them with confidence and efficiency. For a while, no Pokémon crossed their path, but their various cries echoed around, a constant auditory reminder that the threat was there. Something could bar their way at any given second.

Soon, they reached the fifth floor, distinctly different from those preceding it. A massive chamber, lined with statues just like those around the shrine's entrance, and the floor was naught but dirt. Dirt that Xien was very careful to not step onto. Maribel made sure to follow suit, knowing that Xien knew this place better than she did. And sure enough, before Xien could explain much more than the fact that a powerful Pokémon once blocked the way on this floor, aforementioned powerful Pokémon took that as its cue.

Maribel gave a hushed gasp, looking up in awe as the massive Steelix breached the dirt. Immediately she knew why the inability to use special attacks here would prove such a hindrance- Steelix was renowned for physical defense, and rightly so. Special attacks were its downfall, and in here, it was immune to them, no wonder it grinned so arrogantly before them. Xien stated that he could only provide a single Pokémon to aid in the fight, and was counting on Maribel and her Pokémon to circumvent the Iron Snake Pokémon's defenses.

Maribel nodded in response. "Then let's get started," she stated, determinedly adjusting the brim of her Mega Hat. "Ekans, Koffing!" she declared.

"Ekanssss!" hissed Ekans, slithering forward, poised and ready to Intimidate the massive beast before him, however ludicrous a prospect it sounded on the surface.

"Koff Koffiiiing!" Koffing chimed in, zipping forward, grinning with confidence.

Maribel thought fast. Steelix's offenses weren't going to be that big an issue, thankfully- between two Scarecrow Vests and Ekans's Intimidate, Steelix was not going to be hitting nearly as hard as it usually would, but by no means did this mean they could let their guard down. Physical moves and status moves, that was what they had to work with. And thankfully, Ekans and Koffing both had a decent selection in that regard. "Ekans, use your Screech attack, then follow up using Glare," she stated. "Koffing, you use Curse, and then prepare for your Revenge attack!"

"Ekansss!" Ekans hissed, giving a nod before preparing to assault Steelix's eardrums with horrific noise.

"Koffiiiing!" Koffing chimed in, ready to start bolstering her own Attack and Defense in preparation for the fight ahead.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:29 PM   #161
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

MissingNo. Master - Given his experience as a Pokemon Wielder, Xien is not a second slower on the draw. Pulling out a second Pokeball, he tosses it high into the air, releasing Skarmory to aid them in their fight! Spreading its blade-like wings wide, Skarmory begins to circle around the battlefield, eyes trained on the serpent that sits coiled-up in the middle of the dirt.

“Skarmory! Blind them with Sand Attack!

On his command, the Pokemon dives down and uses its wings to kick up a stream of dust directly into Steelix’s eyes! Sensing that this is the time to compound the debuff, Ekans unleashes an ear-splitting Screech which echoes across the cavernous walls!

With its eyes caked in twinkling sand, and its ears assaulted by a horrible sound, the steel snake quickly resorts to wild failing in order to retaliate. Its tail shovels up a rock from the ground, and with a whip of its body it catapults the chunk of earth directly at Mairbel’s front line!

“Koff!” Maribel hears her Pokemon cry out in pain. Koffing tumbles back, having been slammed by Steelix’s blind-fired Rock Throw. Thankfully, her triple-Intimidate strategy softened much of the blow, and while she’s Injured, she’s not out of this fight by a long shot! Placing a Curse upon herself, she bolsters both of her physical stats as she prepares to retaliate with her next attack.

“Ampharos! Protect everyone with your Reflect!” Xien calls, and his Electric-type’s light takes on a mysterious glow. The light wraps around each of their Pokemon, forming a barrier that further repels Steelix’s attacks!

Of course, Steelix isn’t just going to sit here and take a beating from the four of them—they’re a boss, after all! The iron serpent utters a Curse of their own, reversing some of the effects of the debuff barrage—though both its attack and defense are still in the red.

All the while, Steelix is attempting to shake the sand out of its eyes, and the moment it does, they’re met by the chilling glare of Ekans! Order of magnitudes smaller as he may be, the paralyzing power behind those eyes is potent nonetheless!

Unfortunately, nothing can really stop the next attack Steelix makes. The creature lets out a fierce roar, and the chamber begins to shake violently! Cracks burst forth through the stonework as an Earthquake ravages both the field and their earthbound Pokemon! Thankfully, that Reflect helps to absorb much of the already-weakened blow, turning even a super-effective attack into scratch damage.

Unaffected by the attack, Koffing rockets forward, unleashing her Revenge in the form of a mighty tackle! The Fighting-type move not only ignores Steelix’s ironclad defense, but uses that wayward Rock Throw as fuel for an even stronger strike!

The room stops rumbling as Steelix succumbs to its paralysis for now, leaving the ground filled with fractures. Revenge dealt a good blow, but Maribel and Xien can tell it will take more than just one strong attack among their Pokemon to take down this foe. Meanwhile, both Ekans and Ampharos are left Hurting by Earthquake—not in any immediate danger, but with how many status moves it took to reduce the damage, it’s clear that a fully-powered Steelix would be no joke, indeed.

They started off strong, but the look in their foe’s eye is filled with anger. This battle is far from over. How will she proceed?

*OOC: For the rest of this battle, I would like one Move per Pokemon for ease of updating. Think of this like a pseudo-Raid battle, with Ekans and Koffing as your Pokemon, and Ampharos and Skarmory under an ally's control.*
Old 11-11-2022, 09:33 PM   #162
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
MissingNo. Master - Given his experience as a Pokemon Wielder, Xien is not a second slower on the draw. Pulling out a second Pokeball, he tosses it high into the air, releasing Skarmory to aid them in their fight! Spreading its blade-like wings wide, Skarmory begins to circle around the battlefield, eyes trained on the serpent that sits coiled-up in the middle of the dirt.

“Skarmory! Blind them with Sand Attack!

On his command, the Pokemon dives down and uses its wings to kick up a stream of dust directly into Steelix’s eyes! Sensing that this is the time to compound the debuff, Ekans unleashes an ear-splitting Screech which echoes across the cavernous walls!

With its eyes caked in twinkling sand, and its ears assaulted by a horrible sound, the steel snake quickly resorts to wild failing in order to retaliate. Its tail shovels up a rock from the ground, and with a whip of its body it catapults the chunk of earth directly at Mairbel’s front line!

“Koff!” Maribel hears her Pokemon cry out in pain. Koffing tumbles back, having been slammed by Steelix’s blind-fired Rock Throw. Thankfully, her triple-Intimidate strategy softened much of the blow, and while she’s Injured, she’s not out of this fight by a long shot! Placing a Curse upon herself, she bolsters both of her physical stats as she prepares to retaliate with her next attack.

“Ampharos! Protect everyone with your Reflect!” Xien calls, and his Electric-type’s light takes on a mysterious glow. The light wraps around each of their Pokemon, forming a barrier that further repels Steelix’s attacks!

Of course, Steelix isn’t just going to sit here and take a beating from the four of them—they’re a boss, after all! The iron serpent utters a Curse of their own, reversing some of the effects of the debuff barrage—though both its attack and defense are still in the red.

All the while, Steelix is attempting to shake the sand out of its eyes, and the moment it does, they’re met by the chilling glare of Ekans! Order of magnitudes smaller as he may be, the paralyzing power behind those eyes is potent nonetheless!

Unfortunately, nothing can really stop the next attack Steelix makes. The creature lets out a fierce roar, and the chamber begins to shake violently! Cracks burst forth through the stonework as an Earthquake ravages both the field and their earthbound Pokemon! Thankfully, that Reflect helps to absorb much of the already-weakened blow, turning even a super-effective attack into scratch damage.

Unaffected by the attack, Koffing rockets forward, unleashing her Revenge in the form of a mighty tackle! The Fighting-type move not only ignores Steelix’s ironclad defense, but uses that wayward Rock Throw as fuel for an even stronger strike!

The room stops rumbling as Steelix succumbs to its paralysis for now, leaving the ground filled with fractures. Revenge dealt a good blow, but Maribel and Xien can tell it will take more than just one strong attack among their Pokemon to take down this foe. Meanwhile, both Ekans and Ampharos are left Hurting by Earthquake—not in any immediate danger, but with how many status moves it took to reduce the damage, it’s clear that a fully-powered Steelix would be no joke, indeed.

They started off strong, but the look in their foe’s eye is filled with anger. This battle is far from over. How will she proceed?

*OOC: For the rest of this battle, I would like one Move per Pokemon for ease of updating. Think of this like a pseudo-Raid battle, with Ekans and Koffing as your Pokemon, and Ampharos and Skarmory under an ally's control.*
Xien was quick to provide additional support, sending out his Skarmory, and hastening to command a Sand Attack from it. The move hit true, blinding Steelix, after which Ekans issued his Screech. Blinded and deafened, Steelix flailed about wildly, and by sheer luck, unearthed a rock with its tail and sent it flying. By even sheerer luck, the rock managed to strike Koffing! "Koffing!" Maribel called out.

"Koff... Koffiiing!" Koffing grinned reassuringly, turning her attention back to the battle. Thankfully, the move hadn't hit hard- Maribel's strategy had amounted to three Intimidates at the same time, and Steelix was fighting at far less than its usual capacity. Koffing then went for the commanded Curse move, while Xien had Ampharos use Reflect, further bolstering everyone's Defense. Maribel nodded her approval of this tactic- if physical moves were all that could be used against them here, there was no reason to focus on weakening Steelix's physical moves as much as possible.

Steelix, however, was not about to take this lying down, and used Curse itself, undoing a tiny bit of what had been done to it, but not enough to fight at its full strength. However, once it had shaken enough sand out of its eyes to be able to see again, it surely must have started to regret this, meeting with Ekans's fierce Glare! Ekans might have been overwhelmingly smaller than Steelix, but he was no weakling, and he was not afraid to stand up to this massive beast. The son of Keith Masters's remarkable Arbok and Heatmor, and it showed.

But the Glare wasn't enough to stop Steelix's next move. With a mighty roar, Steelix set off an Earthquake that had Maribel eyeing the ceiling warily. Ekans and Ampharos, both of them weak to Ground, were taking the full brunt of the attack... or they would have been, were it not severely weakened, not only by Steelix's reduced Attack, but also Ampharos's Reflect! And furthermore, Skarmory, being a Flying-type, was naturally unaffected, while Koffing found it a simple matter to Levitate over the shaking ground. And speaking of Koffing, she chose then to strike, landing a souped-up Revenge attack!

Maribel exhaled. They were off to a good start, there was no denying that. But Steelix was a tough one, and was not about to lose so easily. There was anger in the Iron Snake Pokémon's eyes, and Maribel was not about to forget how many debuffs it took to make Steelix's attacks manageable. If Steelix was fighting at full power, they'd be in serious trouble.

"Ekanssss," Ekans murmured, turning to look at Koffing.

"Koff, Koffiiing," Koffing murmured back.

The pair of Poison-types then turned to look at their Trainer- Maribel was regarding the Steelix with a wary yet determined look. As she caught sight of her Pokémon looking back at her, she gave them a reassuring grin. "We're doing great, you two," she said. "But we can't afford to let down our guard. We gotta give this battle everything we got, but if we do that, I know we got this! OK?"

"Ekanssss..."

"Koffiiiing..."

The pair of Poison-types looked at each other once again before turning back to face Steelix, struck anew by the sheer size of their adversary. And yet, Maribel's faith in them stood strong. And they weren't about to let her down.

Maribel gave a gasp as Ekans and Koffing began to glow at the same time. Ekans grew longer, the rattle on his tail smoothing out, a wide hood flaring out just beneath his head. Koffing, meanwhile, grew larger, a second head protruding from his side, with a smaller spherical appendage growing out between the two heads on the bottom. And the glow faded all at once as Maribel now found herself in command of an and a !

A pinging sound from her bag prompted Maribel to take out her Rotom Phone, which featured images of her newest Pokémon on the screen. "Arbok and Weezing have been registered to your Pokédex!" Rotom declared.

"Chaaaaaboka!" Arbok declared boldly.

"Weezing weez!" Weezing chimed in, both heads sounding determined.

"Arbok... Weezing...!" Maribel murmured. Her Pokémon had just evolved for her before her eyes, and into forms she had grown up admiring from a very young age, Pokémon her father excelled with in battle. And now, those very species of Pokémon were Maribel's. Rotom's notification reverberated in her heart, and she could feel the grin on her face growing to Gengaresque proportions. She grabbed and tweaked the brim of her Mega Hat- they could do this. "All right!" Maribel declared. "Arbok, give it a Fire Fang! Weezing, use Triple Axel!"

Quote:
What? Ekans is evolving!

...!

Congratulations! Your Ekans evolved into Arbok!

*Arbok learned Crunch!*

*Arbok learned Fire Fang!*

*Arbok learned Ice Fang!*

*Arbok learned Thunder Fang!*
Quote:
What? Koffing is evolving!

...!

Congratulations! Your Koffing evolved into Weezing!

*Weezing learned Double Hit!*

*Weezing learned Heat Wave!*

*Weezing learned Psybeam!*

*Weezing learned Screech!*
Old 11-16-2022, 05:40 PM   #163
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - A bright light fills the temple halls, briefly, yet spectacularly outshining Amphraros’ glow. Knowing that the opponent required all of their strength to overcome, Ekans and Koffing have undone the locks on their full potential, and have evolved!

“A mid-battle evolution?” Xien remarks, utterly astounded by the scene unfolding before him. Clearly, this is not something that should happen within the game’s mechanics, and yet Maribel’s Pokemon are undeniably different than they were just moments ago. It gives the young King more to muse about... and a reason to fight even harder ‘till the end!

“Skarmory, swoop in and buffet Steelix with your Steel Wing!”

As the brilliant light fades, the confused Steelix is left wide open for attack! The steel bird descends upon them, clashing its blade-like feathers against the serpent’s armor. Not much effect, but every bit of damage is another step closer to victory—more importantly, though, Skarmory’s own typing leaves Steelix with few options to retaliate... at least, it should.

The lumbering boss takes aim at the flying nuisance, its massive jaws opening wide as it catches one of Skarmory’s wings. A sickening Crunch fills the air, and the bird is quickly tossed away like a ragdoll!

Thankfully, Steelix’s weakened attack, as well as Ampharos’ Reflect minimized the damage, but the look on Xien’s face makes it clear—that shouldn’t have worked. Whatever archaic understanding of Pokemon this game was constructed on, Dark type moves should be suppressed the same as any other Special attack.

As if to compound the confusion, Maribel orders the newly-evolved Arbok to attack with Fire! The hooded adder lunges forwards, his fangs dripping with flames that soften Steelix’s hull at the very moment of striking! The snake writhes in pain as its red-hot wound slowly cools, and any retaliation it could take against Arbok is suppressed by its Paralysis.

“I’m still not sure how you’re able to use fire here, but keep it up!” Xien remarks, flashing Maribel a proud smile. He turns to his Ampharos, and nods, “there’s not much we can do here. Keep yourself guarded with Protect.”

Nodding, Ampharos lowers itself into a defensive position and remains vigilant. At least that way, another Earthquake won’t lop a chunk off of their light-bearer’s health.

Last, but certainly not least, is Weezing’s turn! Now that she’s up two heads, it seems only fitting that her first move should be a super-effective triple-threat! Maribel orders her to strike, and she very eagerly rockets towards her foe!

“Something’s not right...” Xien muses to himself as he watches the battle unfold. Indeed, despite being hounded from all sides, Steelix seems to be oddly calm as Weezing closes-in on them. As if it’s anticipating something...

“Wait! Call off your attack!” the King shouts, a look of horrific realization now upon him, “Steelix knows a move that could undo our entire strateg—”

It’s too late. The moment Koffing’s attack makes contact, Steelix lets out a roar of pure, unadulterated Rage! The first strike of Triple Axel is punctuated by a sharp burst of steam erupting from Steelix’s head, and then another, and then another! Each strike of the move puts a massive dent in the Steel-type’s armor, but it's rage only grows with each blow it endures!

With a whip of its tail, Weezing is swatted away like a bug from Steelix’s body. The monstrous Pokemon has not only managed to reverse its attack debuff, but any further damage will only cause it to climb higher!

A furious, wicked grin now plasters the serpent’s face. The creature slithers forwards, and the whole room tremors as it burrows beneath the earth once again. Rather than escape or create another Earthquake, it seems Steelix’s next move is to attack from below with Dig!

What will Maribel do?
Old 11-16-2022, 08:07 PM   #164
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - A bright light fills the temple halls, briefly, yet spectacularly outshining Amphraros’ glow. Knowing that the opponent required all of their strength to overcome, Ekans and Koffing have undone the locks on their full potential, and have evolved!

“A mid-battle evolution?” Xien remarks, utterly astounded by the scene unfolding before him. Clearly, this is not something that should happen within the game’s mechanics, and yet Maribel’s Pokemon are undeniably different than they were just moments ago. It gives the young King more to muse about... and a reason to fight even harder ‘till the end!

“Skarmory, swoop in and buffet Steelix with your Steel Wing!”

As the brilliant light fades, the confused Steelix is left wide open for attack! The steel bird descends upon them, clashing its blade-like feathers against the serpent’s armor. Not much effect, but every bit of damage is another step closer to victory—more importantly, though, Skarmory’s own typing leaves Steelix with few options to retaliate... at least, it should.

The lumbering boss takes aim at the flying nuisance, its massive jaws opening wide as it catches one of Skarmory’s wings. A sickening Crunch fills the air, and the bird is quickly tossed away like a ragdoll!

Thankfully, Steelix’s weakened attack, as well as Ampharos’ Reflect minimized the damage, but the look on Xien’s face makes it clear—that shouldn’t have worked. Whatever archaic understanding of Pokemon this game was constructed on, Dark type moves should be suppressed the same as any other Special attack.

As if to compound the confusion, Maribel orders the newly-evolved Arbok to attack with Fire! The hooded adder lunges forwards, his fangs dripping with flames that soften Steelix’s hull at the very moment of striking! The snake writhes in pain as its red-hot wound slowly cools, and any retaliation it could take against Arbok is suppressed by its Paralysis.

“I’m still not sure how you’re able to use fire here, but keep it up!” Xien remarks, flashing Maribel a proud smile. He turns to his Ampharos, and nods, “there’s not much we can do here. Keep yourself guarded with Protect.”

Nodding, Ampharos lowers itself into a defensive position and remains vigilant. At least that way, another Earthquake won’t lop a chunk off of their light-bearer’s health.

Last, but certainly not least, is Weezing’s turn! Now that she’s up two heads, it seems only fitting that her first move should be a super-effective triple-threat! Maribel orders her to strike, and she very eagerly rockets towards her foe!

“Something’s not right...” Xien muses to himself as he watches the battle unfold. Indeed, despite being hounded from all sides, Steelix seems to be oddly calm as Weezing closes-in on them. As if it’s anticipating something...

“Wait! Call off your attack!” the King shouts, a look of horrific realization now upon him, “Steelix knows a move that could undo our entire strateg—”

It’s too late. The moment Koffing’s attack makes contact, Steelix lets out a roar of pure, unadulterated Rage! The first strike of Triple Axel is punctuated by a sharp burst of steam erupting from Steelix’s head, and then another, and then another! Each strike of the move puts a massive dent in the Steel-type’s armor, but it's rage only grows with each blow it endures!

With a whip of its tail, Weezing is swatted away like a bug from Steelix’s body. The monstrous Pokemon has not only managed to reverse its attack debuff, but any further damage will only cause it to climb higher!

A furious, wicked grin now plasters the serpent’s face. The creature slithers forwards, and the whole room tremors as it burrows beneath the earth once again. Rather than escape or create another Earthquake, it seems Steelix’s next move is to attack from below with Dig!

What will Maribel do?
Maribel grinned with confidence- Ekans and Koffing were now Arbok and Weezing, a double mid-battle evolution that absolutely astonished Xien. And now they went on the offensive, with Skarmory starting said onslaught with a Steel Wing. It didn't do much, but every little bit helps... that is, until Steelix grabbed hold of Skarmory with a Crunch attack and tossed it aside. Xien was stunned by this- clearly he didn't think Crunch should have worked, and his confusion only intensifies as he sees Maribel's Arbok use a Fire move! Evidently, the way physical and special attacks were determined in this game were different to reality, but Maribel being here seems to have changed something about all that. Maribel smiled and nodded in response to Xien's encouragement, before the king ordered a Protect from his Ampharos.

But as Maribel's Weezing rushed in to execute Triple Axel, Xien noticed something wrong- Steelix was entirely too calm for being in such a poor situation as it was in. And as Xien called for Maribel to call off the attack, it proved too late, as Weezing landed all three hits of the Triple Axel. Maribel, however, looked wary, for Steelix had given a furious roar just before the move landed, and afterwards was able to swat Weezing away with its tail, with absurd ease.

Maribel's eyes widened as she realized what had just happened. "...Rage," she breathed. Steelix had just undone the effects of Intimidate and the Scarecrow Vests all at once!

"Chaaaboka?" murmured Arbok.

"Weezing..." Weezing sweatdropped.

Maribel shook her head. "You couldn't have known, Weezing, don't beat yourself up over it," she said. "Now... how are we gonna do this...?" she murmured, thinking fast, going over her Pokémon's moves in her head. Any further attacks were gonna power Steelix up even further, and they had no way to undo those boosts. Well... OK, they did, but it'd come at the expense of Weezing's own boosts, as well as Steelix's reduced Defense from the earlier Screech. Was it worth that? No... and they still had Reflect on their side, Maribel had to remember, Steelix hadn't completely leveled the playing field here. And then she realized- they did have a way to damage Steelix without powering it up! It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing! Her smile returned as she began to piece together the plan in her mind. She just hoped Steelix's Dig was targeting Weezing- she had a feeling Abilities weren't often accounted for in this land, so perhaps Steelix wouldn't think twice about targeting Weezing in spite of Levitate making the move useless? Then again, it knew it could use Crunch now... well, no point worrying too much about that just yet, now was there?

"All right," Maribel declared. "Weezing, you use Curse once more. Bring up that Defense!"

"Weezing weez!" groaned Weezing determinedly.

Maribel then turned to the Cobra Pokémon. "And Arbok, once Steelix is back up here, hit it with a Breaking Swipe!"

"Chaaaaboka!" Arbok responded, preparing the attack immediately. While it would incur the Attack increase from Rage, it would be cancelled out by Breaking Swipe's side effect of a guaranteed decrease in Attack. It wouldn't be very effective, but right now, it was better than actively powering the thing up. And even if it looked like Steelix couldn't be defeated so easily, Maribel had another idea, but as to whether she'd get an opportunity to put it in motion, she couldn't say. But that was for later- right now, she'd given her orders, and she had to hope things would work out as she wanted them to.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #165
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno Master - Though Steelix has left the battlefield, the situation is far from calm. The entire room is trembling as the iron serpent burrows beneath the earth. Watching through seismic senses—waiting for just the right moment to surge upwards and strike!

Even so, Maribel shouts above the horrible din to dictate the plan to her Pokemon. At this point, the key to their success seems to fall in managing their buffs and debuffs. Steelix has reversed his attack drop, sure, but Reflect’s power hasn’t waned just yet!

Xien nods in support of her tactics, and he seems contemplative for a moment. His Pokemon are already playing a supportive role, but what else could he do to help push Maribel’s strategy to victory...?

“Ah! What if we turn Steelix’s rage against it!” he exclaims, turning to his Pokemon, “Ampharos, use Growl to keep his offensive power in-check! Skarmory, wait for Steelix to emerge, and then confuse it with Swagger!

The Steel-type and Electric-type both nod, and wait for their opening, while Weezing takes the time to lay on another Curse. As the rumbling grows stronger, pierces of the ceiling crumble and crash into the ground, kicking up a haze of glittering dust as the source of the tremors climbs higher, and higher, until...

“Here it comes!” Xien shouts, prompting everyone to brace themselves! The ground begins to crack where Steelix is bound to emerge—and much to Maribel’s dismay, it’s right beneath Arbok’s feet!

An explosive spray of earth knocks the Poison-type away as Steelix surfaces, filling the chamber with a bestial roar! A Badly Injured Arbok tumbles to Maribel’s feet, covered in cuts and bruises. His defenses aren’t nearly as bolstered as Weezing, and with Steelix’s Earthquake not having any effect on the other Poison-type... it seems their foe is more perceptive than she thought.

“Now!” Xien orders, wincing at Arbok’s injury, but not hesitating for a moment in the face of this fearsome beast. Ampharos breathes in deeply, and then hits Steelix with its fiercest Growl! It’s not much, but it’s enough to lower its power slightly.

Hearing its intimidating cry, Steelix whips its head towards Amphraos, and decides to return the favor with a Screech of its own! The sheep Pokemon recoils, covering its ears as the ear-splitting sound ripples through their body. This isn’t looking good...

Swooping into the rescue is Skarmory, who quickly grabs Steelix’s attention with its goading movements. Like a Tauros on steroids, the serpent immediately tries to lunch at it with another Crunch, but just at the last moment Skarmory flies away, leading Steelix to go crashing straight into the wall! It hurt itself in confusion!

Having recovered from the severe blow, Arbok leaps back into the fight to take advantage of his opponent’s current state of Parafusion! Wreathing his tail in Dark energy, he whips it forward, and slices right through those defenses! Steelix’s roar is muffled as it attempts to dislodge itself from the wall, but it’s clear that one hurt!

Badly Injured and stuck inside the wall, Steelix has little way to retaliate, but that doesn’t mean it's out of tricks. The Pokemon begins to fan its tail, whipping up the dust and debris littering the room into a mighty Sandstorm!

With the weather now turning against most of the raiding party, it seems their strategy of whittling Steelix down with status moves is now on a timer. Even so, the massive Pokemon isn’t looking in the best of shape. If their next moves are chosen carefully, this could be the decisive turn!

What will Maribel do?
Old 12-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #166
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno Master - Though Steelix has left the battlefield, the situation is far from calm. The entire room is trembling as the iron serpent burrows beneath the earth. Watching through seismic senses—waiting for just the right moment to surge upwards and strike!

Even so, Maribel shouts above the horrible din to dictate the plan to her Pokemon. At this point, the key to their success seems to fall in managing their buffs and debuffs. Steelix has reversed his attack drop, sure, but Reflect’s power hasn’t waned just yet!

Xien nods in support of her tactics, and he seems contemplative for a moment. His Pokemon are already playing a supportive role, but what else could he do to help push Maribel’s strategy to victory...?

“Ah! What if we turn Steelix’s rage against it!” he exclaims, turning to his Pokemon, “Ampharos, use Growl to keep his offensive power in-check! Skarmory, wait for Steelix to emerge, and then confuse it with Swagger!

The Steel-type and Electric-type both nod, and wait for their opening, while Weezing takes the time to lay on another Curse. As the rumbling grows stronger, pierces of the ceiling crumble and crash into the ground, kicking up a haze of glittering dust as the source of the tremors climbs higher, and higher, until...

“Here it comes!” Xien shouts, prompting everyone to brace themselves! The ground begins to crack where Steelix is bound to emerge—and much to Maribel’s dismay, it’s right beneath Arbok’s feet!

An explosive spray of earth knocks the Poison-type away as Steelix surfaces, filling the chamber with a bestial roar! A Badly Injured Arbok tumbles to Maribel’s feet, covered in cuts and bruises. His defenses aren’t nearly as bolstered as Weezing, and with Steelix’s Earthquake not having any effect on the other Poison-type... it seems their foe is more perceptive than she thought.

“Now!” Xien orders, wincing at Arbok’s injury, but not hesitating for a moment in the face of this fearsome beast. Ampharos breathes in deeply, and then hits Steelix with its fiercest Growl! It’s not much, but it’s enough to lower its power slightly.

Hearing its intimidating cry, Steelix whips its head towards Amphraos, and decides to return the favor with a Screech of its own! The sheep Pokemon recoils, covering its ears as the ear-splitting sound ripples through their body. This isn’t looking good...

Swooping into the rescue is Skarmory, who quickly grabs Steelix’s attention with its goading movements. Like a Tauros on steroids, the serpent immediately tries to lunch at it with another Crunch, but just at the last moment Skarmory flies away, leading Steelix to go crashing straight into the wall! It hurt itself in confusion!

Having recovered from the severe blow, Arbok leaps back into the fight to take advantage of his opponent’s current state of Parafusion! Wreathing his tail in Dark energy, he whips it forward, and slices right through those defenses! Steelix’s roar is muffled as it attempts to dislodge itself from the wall, but it’s clear that one hurt!

Badly Injured and stuck inside the wall, Steelix has little way to retaliate, but that doesn’t mean it's out of tricks. The Pokemon begins to fan its tail, whipping up the dust and debris littering the room into a mighty Sandstorm!

With the weather now turning against most of the raiding party, it seems their strategy of whittling Steelix down with status moves is now on a timer. Even so, the massive Pokemon isn’t looking in the best of shape. If their next moves are chosen carefully, this could be the decisive turn!

What will Maribel do?
It was a tense situation, but Maribel was doing her best to take control of it all the same. Xien seemed likewise inspired to help turn things back around, and ordered a simple yet effective move from Ampharos- Growl. Skarmory's was a more risky order- Swagger- but it wasn't too shabby an idea on paper. After all, if Steelix was looking to boost its Attack so much, might as well make it a risky prospect for it.

And Steelix soon emerged from underground, but to Maribel's dismay, the attack was aimed right where she didn't want it. "Arbok! No!" Maribel cried out as the attack sent the Cobra Pokémon flying. Though Arbok landed in a heap at Maribel's feet, clearly having taken massive damage, he was still able to move, still able to fight, and he gave Maribel a weak yet reassuring grin. "Arbok, are you OK?" she asked.

"Chaaaarboka," Arbok hissed in response, giving a small nod.

Maribel managed a small smile and nod in response, and the battle continued. Ampharos unleashed Growl, but Steelix responded in kind with Screech. Skarmory went for Swagger following this, and Xien's tactic was successful- instead of landing a souped-up Crunch in retaliation, Steelix instead crashed headfirst into the wall, where it got stuck! And this was Arbok's moment, the Poison-type lunging at Steelix to land a Breaking Swipe, dealing damage while further lowering the behemoth's Attack. Maribel relaxed ever so slightly- not letting her guard down by any means, but at the same time, things were definitely starting to look up for them!

Steelix wasn't done yet, though, and used its still-free tail to whip up a potent Sandstorm. Maribel gritted her teeth- the battle had just been put on a timer. Whittling Steelix down suddenly became far less feasible than it had seemed moments ago. Of all of Steelix's opponents, Skarmory was the only one that wasn't taking damage from this most obnoxious of weather conditions. That being said, though, Maribel could tell Steelix was getting backed into a corner here, and with its head stuck in the wall, on top of the damage it had been taking thus far, this seemed like the perfect moment to hit it with all they had!

"Let's try and finish it here," she stated, to Xien as well as to her own Pokémon. "Now, Arbok- Fire Fang! And Weezing, you use Revenge!" As she gave these orders, she kept in mind her backup plan, another way to end the battle should their next onslaught not finish things off and instead just make Steelix angry. If that ended up being the case, Maribel had an Ultra Ball sitting in her bag, completely unoccupied... for now, anyway. If things looked as though they might get bad, Maribel intended to try and catch the Steelix. In the meantime, Arbok and Weezing nodded their understanding of these orders, and prepared to act on them. Whether this would truly finish this beast off, they knew not, but they had faith in their Trainer all the same- evolved mid-battle for her and everything- and so they would give this all they had.
Old 01-07-2023, 03:24 PM   #167
KingSalmon
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
Department of World History (reply in burlywood)

Much can be said of the world we live in, both the good and the bad, and it was this aspect of the world's history that the Djinn looked for first. Within this well-kept and vintage department, with mahogany carvings and the scent of pine, lies books pertaining to the lives and happenings of the world's people and nations, with autobiographies and eyewitness accounts of famous events lining the shelves. The patron of this department, Ria, is a prim and proper Sigilyph who is not one for silliness, yet the Chrono Archivist is certainly keen to allow people to peruse the books. For trainers who want to experience history as it happened, there can be no greater haven.
Despite trying his best to look calm and collected, as usual, Arne's heart was racing. He was about to take the biggest, boldest step of his journey - no, his life - in his quest for unrivalled power.

Before him, towering and imposing, stood the Djinn's Archives. Inside, one could supposedly experience any wondrous adventure contained in the countless tomes of its Departments. Tales of tragedy and glory, love and loss, just waiting for the right Trainer to delve into their pages, quite literally. But Arne had something much different, much more scientific in mind...

Has anyone even tried this before? I've heard of no such cases. Either because I'll be the first to attempt it, or because... ever other who tried before me never returned.

Instinctively, he reached for his belt. They were all there - Gustav the Squirtle, Rudy the Litten, Sever the Treecko, Buster the Rhyhorn and Mindy the Shiny Tinktatink - resting in their respective devices. Arne was perfectly aware of how much each of them still needed to grow, but he could wait no longer; the moment that plan formed in his mind, he knew he had to act on it before anyone else in the world could. After all, it's not like he could look for a second specimen if he arrived late.

With deep breaths and steely resolve, he marched onward, crossing the main gates of the Archive. The building, it turned out, was even more daunting and imposing on the inside. But this was no time for idle contemplation. He would have all the time in the world once - if - he got back. For now, he had a destination in mind, and it did not take long for him to find it.

"Department of World History". This has to be it.

With a silent, polite bow, Arne announce his presence to Ria the Sigilyph, and then went to work. Moving deftly from bookshelf to bookshelf, eyes shifting from one o the other, row after row, it seemed like he would be done in an instant. But despite his best efforts, his unyielding conviction, he could not find it. Had it been removed, sealed away in some private chamber, for fear of Trainers having the same idea as him? But the book existed, he was sure of it! Not just one either, but an entire collection of books pertaining to...

Wait, no. Not books... Journals!

He'd been looking in the wrong place. Hastening his step, he returned to the Sigilyph, requesting to see the historical journals that had been preserved in the Archives. And finally, at long last, his eyes fell on the cover he so desperately yearned for.

Pokemon Mansion Journal.

He felt a swirl of emotions rising up from within: excitement, fear, doubt. But he remained steadfast, and showed the Sigilyph the Journal.

"Take me here."

Because if he was right about this, if he could find his way back to just the right time and place, maybe, just maybe... he would be able to meet the almighty Mewtwo.

----------------------

Claiming my Legendary Adventure Slot 1/3!

Last edited by KingSalmon; 01-09-2023 at 12:27 PM.
KingSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #168
ShadowDRGN
Cascade Badge

Missingno. Master - Though the howling sands buffet Pokemon and human alike, Maribel remains stalwart and quickly formulates a plan to take care of Steelix. The behemoth of a Pokemon is still trying to dislodge itself from the wall, thrashing and roaring all the while—vulnerable, but not helpless. Her Pokemon will need to hit it as hard as they can before the Steel-type retaliates, if they want to cinch this win.

Xien, as well, seems to be considering his next move thoughtfully. The tense expression on his face mirrors the girl’s decisive sentiment, but with Pokemon that could do little damage to the creature on their own, what could he do? How could he help tip the scales toward their victory?

His eyes light up, and calling to his Pokemon over the sandstorm, he relays his orders:

“Skarmory, soften its armor with Leer, and then prepare for the enemy’s counterattack! Ampharos, use Cotton Spore to help cover Arbok’s approach!”

Both of his loyal subjects nod without a shred of hesitation. They’ll be going in first to face the raging monster, but it’s all to help Maribel’s Pokemon deal as much damage as possible. If that is their duty... then they will put everything on the line to fulfill it!

Skarmory flaps their wings strongly, cutting through the sandstorm as they glide toward Steelix. Its yellow eyes flash crimson for a moment, and the metal serpent almost seems to shiver as it feels a deathly stare hit its back! Their guard is down, but Skarmory had to get right up-close to land the Move through this weather.

A muffled roar reverberates through the wall, and Steelix worms its tail into the dirt like a drill. Scooping a large chunk out of the arena floor, it whips its body violently, aiming a Rock Throw squarely into Skarmory! With its wing clipped, Xien’s Pokemon starts listing in the air, letting out a screech of pain, but the king’s resolve does not waver.

“Now, Ampharos!” Xien shouts, and his Electric-type rushes in. Pulling balls of wool from their body, the sheep Pokemon launches them at Steelix as the Pokemon rears its tail back for a devastating Slam! Crackles of static travel up and down the Steel-type’s body as the woolen tufts attach to its joints, slowing its movements down further—but not enough to stop the attack!

Ampharos tumbles across the dirt as it’s launched away by the Pokemon’s swiping attack. The light on its tail flickers and dims, barely clinging onto enough consciousness to light the chamber... They've done all they can, now. It’s up to Maribel to finish this!

Hissing, Arbok’s fangs light up in flames, and he lunges toward Steelix! The Pokemon’s armor melts a bit as those super-heated fangs sink in, and the pained roaring reaches a crescendo as the wall crumbles to pieces! The air becomes even thicker with dust and debris, and Maribel feels a chill run down her spine as the lumbering shadow begins moving once more.

Having finally wrested itself free, Steelix turns to Weezing and charges, howling like a demented steam train! Its rage seems to be the only thing carrying it forward, and Maribel’s Pokemon braces herself for impact. The Steel-type’s jaws unhinge, and come down on top of the Poison-type into a mighty Crunch!

Weezing does her best to endure as the Pokemon’s teeth try to crush her, and pushing back with the force of ejecting gasses, she uses the rest of her energy to make one last-ditch attack! Striking at the interior of Steelix’s mouth, the balance of power reverses, and Weezing unleashes a massive blow upon her foe!

Steelix’s eyes go white, and the whole room shakes as the unconscious Pokemon skids to a stop. The sandstorm subsides, leaving everything caked in dust as the room falls into an eerie quiet. Arbok detaches from the Pokemon’s tail, while Weezing manages to squeeze out from between their jaws. Ampharos struggles to its feet, while Skarmory manages to make a firm, but safe landing next to Xien. They’re all in one piece—albeit barely.

*Arbok gains 4 Levels!*
*Weezing gains 4 Levels!*

“I must admit—I wasn’t sure of our chances until your Pokemon somehow evolved during the fight,” Xien says, looking like he was finally able to breathe again. He looks to the unconscious Steelix, noticing the places where Arbok’s Fire Fang had made quick work of the Pokemon’s armor, “it’s as I thought. Your Pokemon have some method of circumventing the seal...”

After taking a moment to heal his allies, Xien carefully steps across the rubble-filled room, intent on delving deeper. As they pass the hole that Steelix made when it used Dig, however, he stops and kneels over something glittering in the sand.

“Ah. It seems that Steelix has unearthed some buried treasure. Here—” he says, dusting off a small cache of items and handing them to Maribel. All in all:

*Maribel finds a Metal Coat!*
*Maribel finds a Big Pearl!*
*Maribel finds TM 20: Rage!*

What will Maribel do next?
Old 01-07-2023, 11:34 PM   #169
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Missingno. Master - Though the howling sands buffet Pokemon and human alike, Maribel remains stalwart and quickly formulates a plan to take care of Steelix. The behemoth of a Pokemon is still trying to dislodge itself from the wall, thrashing and roaring all the while—vulnerable, but not helpless. Her Pokemon will need to hit it as hard as they can before the Steel-type retaliates, if they want to cinch this win.

Xien, as well, seems to be considering his next move thoughtfully. The tense expression on his face mirrors the girl’s decisive sentiment, but with Pokemon that could do little damage to the creature on their own, what could he do? How could he help tip the scales toward their victory?

His eyes light up, and calling to his Pokemon over the sandstorm, he relays his orders:

“Skarmory, soften its armor with Leer, and then prepare for the enemy’s counterattack! Ampharos, use Cotton Spore to help cover Arbok’s approach!”

Both of his loyal subjects nod without a shred of hesitation. They’ll be going in first to face the raging monster, but it’s all to help Maribel’s Pokemon deal as much damage as possible. If that is their duty... then they will put everything on the line to fulfill it!

Skarmory flaps their wings strongly, cutting through the sandstorm as they glide toward Steelix. Its yellow eyes flash crimson for a moment, and the metal serpent almost seems to shiver as it feels a deathly stare hit its back! Their guard is down, but Skarmory had to get right up-close to land the Move through this weather.

A muffled roar reverberates through the wall, and Steelix worms its tail into the dirt like a drill. Scooping a large chunk out of the arena floor, it whips its body violently, aiming a Rock Throw squarely into Skarmory! With its wing clipped, Xien’s Pokemon starts listing in the air, letting out a screech of pain, but the king’s resolve does not waver.

“Now, Ampharos!” Xien shouts, and his Electric-type rushes in. Pulling balls of wool from their body, the sheep Pokemon launches them at Steelix as the Pokemon rears its tail back for a devastating Slam! Crackles of static travel up and down the Steel-type’s body as the woolen tufts attach to its joints, slowing its movements down further—but not enough to stop the attack!

Ampharos tumbles across the dirt as it’s launched away by the Pokemon’s swiping attack. The light on its tail flickers and dims, barely clinging onto enough consciousness to light the chamber... They've done all they can, now. It’s up to Maribel to finish this!

Hissing, Arbok’s fangs light up in flames, and he lunges toward Steelix! The Pokemon’s armor melts a bit as those super-heated fangs sink in, and the pained roaring reaches a crescendo as the wall crumbles to pieces! The air becomes even thicker with dust and debris, and Maribel feels a chill run down her spine as the lumbering shadow begins moving once more.

Having finally wrested itself free, Steelix turns to Weezing and charges, howling like a demented steam train! Its rage seems to be the only thing carrying it forward, and Maribel’s Pokemon braces herself for impact. The Steel-type’s jaws unhinge, and come down on top of the Poison-type into a mighty Crunch!

Weezing does her best to endure as the Pokemon’s teeth try to crush her, and pushing back with the force of ejecting gasses, she uses the rest of her energy to make one last-ditch attack! Striking at the interior of Steelix’s mouth, the balance of power reverses, and Weezing unleashes a massive blow upon her foe!

Steelix’s eyes go white, and the whole room shakes as the unconscious Pokemon skids to a stop. The sandstorm subsides, leaving everything caked in dust as the room falls into an eerie quiet. Arbok detaches from the Pokemon’s tail, while Weezing manages to squeeze out from between their jaws. Ampharos struggles to its feet, while Skarmory manages to make a firm, but safe landing next to Xien. They’re all in one piece—albeit barely.

*Arbok gains 4 Levels!*
*Weezing gains 4 Levels!*

“I must admit—I wasn’t sure of our chances until your Pokemon somehow evolved during the fight,” Xien says, looking like he was finally able to breathe again. He looks to the unconscious Steelix, noticing the places where Arbok’s Fire Fang had made quick work of the Pokemon’s armor, “it’s as I thought. Your Pokemon have some method of circumventing the seal...”

After taking a moment to heal his allies, Xien carefully steps across the rubble-filled room, intent on delving deeper. As they pass the hole that Steelix made when it used Dig, however, he stops and kneels over something glittering in the sand.

“Ah. It seems that Steelix has unearthed some buried treasure. Here—” he says, dusting off a small cache of items and handing them to Maribel. All in all:

*Maribel finds a Metal Coat!*
*Maribel finds a Big Pearl!*
*Maribel finds TM 20: Rage!*

What will Maribel do next?
With the sandstorm raging as much as its caster, it was clear the battle was going to end soon- the only question was, in whose favor? The opponent was certainly intense, coming off as nigh insurmountable, but Maribel wasn't daunted. Her very first experience with raid battles had her facing down an unknowable being with her trusty starter, and not only helping to triumph over it, but seeing said starter evolve from Bagon to Shelgon in the wake of said victory. She'd never been scared of big, fearsome foes such as this. In fact, battling against such formidable opponents, that was her comfort zone right there. She was going to finish this here and now.

Well, not now, per se. First, Xien's Pokémon went in to weaken Steelix some, Skarmory with leer, Ampharos with Cotton Spore. Skarmory did its thing, but took a Rock Throw to the wing in response. And Ampharos landed the Cotton Spore, just before taking a dreadfully powerful Slam. Both of them were on the brink of defeat, leaving it down to Maribel's Poison-types to finish this. "Do it, Arbok!" Maribel exclaimed.

"Chaaaaaboka!" Arbok responded, his fangs igniting as he lunged, sinking his fangs into Steelix's armor. Steelix's roars of pain sounded all the louder as the wall it was stuck in crumbled apart. Maribel gritted her teeth, keeping a wary eye on Steelix- it was on the move again. But it wasn't Arbok Steelix was targeting.

"WEEZ!" exclaimed both of Weezing's heads as Steelix landed a powerful Crunch attack.

"Hang in there, Weezing!" Maribel called out. She didn't sound particularly worried, but she had good reason for that- put simply, Weezing were astoundingly resilient. Defensive tanks. Maribel knew this well, better than most, being the daughter of Keith Masters, having grown up around Gemini and Mustard, watching her parents take part in numerous battles with wide-eyed admiration, hoping and dreaming to one day be such a skilled Pokémon Trainer herself. And now, she was on her way to realizing that dream. And in light of that, she wasn't about to lose to this Steelix! "Attack now, Weezing!" Maribel exclaimed.

Weezing's heads both grinned, even as Steelix's teeth tried to crush her. This was indeed the opportune moment, and the heads worked together to land a crushing, super effective blow at what had to be a Steelix's most vulnerable point- the inside of its mouth.

The room shook. Steelix collapsed to the ground, and the sandstorm subsided as if taking this as its cue to do so, leaving a thin layer of dust and grit all over. Arbok and Weezing, along with Xien's Skarmory and Ampharos, made their way back tot heir respective Trainers. Maribel grinned widely, pulling the pair of Poison-types into a tight hug. "I knew you two could do it!" she exclaimed.

"Chaaaaboka," hissed Arbok, using his coils to gently hug Maribel back.

"Weezing weez!" Weezing chimed in- though they lacked the necessary biological prerequisites to reciprocate the hug (that being limbs of any sort), both of her heads got their happiness across nevertheless by nuzzling Maribel affectionately.

Xien spoke at last, admitting he hadn't been sure of their chances until Arbok and Weezing's simultaneous evolution. Though as he said so, Maribel noticed his apparent surprise at the notion that they evolved mid-battle. She had the feeling that such a thing wasn't typically possible within this game. And now that she thought of it, in some of those older games, weren't moves classified as physical or special on a more simplified, rudimentary system, based solely on the move's type rather than on a case-by-case basis?

"...It seems some things work differently in our respective worlds," Maribel said in response as she proceeded to administer medicine to Arbok and Weezing- a Hyper Potion to Arbok and a Max Potion to Weezing. "Every attacking move my Pokémon used here would be considered physical where I'm from. Fire Fang might be a Fire-type move, but it's one of the ones considered physical- my Weezing can use Fire Spin, but I doubt she'd be able to use it in here," she explained, before looking at Xien. "You seemed surprised when Steelix was able to use Crunch," she recalled. "I get the feeling it's not just my Pokémon. I think my presence here allows for things to work as they would in my world, or at least when I'm nearby- Crunch is also a physical move in my world."

Soon after, they were off, but they stopped near the hole in the ground, the byproduct of Steelix's earlier usage of Dig. Xien picked up some items in the sand near said hole, handing them all to Maribel- a Metal Coat, a Big Pearl, and a Technical Machine, one which taught the move Rage, according to the label. "Thank you," Maribel smiled, accepting the items and stowing them away in her bag. "All right. If we're all ready?" she asked, not just Xien, but her Pokémon as well.

"Chaaa!" Arbok responded.

"Weezing weez!" Weezing chimed in, spinning around a few times in midair with dizzying rapidity.

Maribel chuckled and nodded to them both, then turned to Xien. "...we're ready to keep going if you are," she stated.

(Max Potion is #3 of 3)

*Arbok grew to level 23!*

*Arbok grew to level 24!*

*Arbok learned Poison Jab!*

*Arbok grew to level 25!*

*Arbok learned Spit Up!*

*Arbok learned Stockpile!*

*Arbok learned Swallow!*

*Arbok grew to level 26!*

*Weezing grew to level 36!*

*Weezing grew to level 37!*

*Weezing learned Explosion!*

*Weezing grew to level 38!*

*Weezing grew to level 39!*

*Obtained the Metal Coat!*

*Obtained the Big Pearl!*

*Maribel obtained a TM20 Rage!*

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 01-08-2023 at 12:19 AM.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #170
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
Department of Tongues and Philosophies (reply in tomato)

Located at the back of the archives, the concept of languages has been strongly discussed even from the mythical Tower of Babel, and often lands hand in hand with the realm of philosophy. Within this dark corner of the Djinn's home, indescribable volumes tower over the desks, each book inlaid with gold and worth a fortune in their own right, yet as one wanders the halls the whisperings of a thousand languages will draw them, while deep thought processes and ideologies will detract one from their own train, and the Silent Archivist, Tarius the Bisharp will naturally be able to read the hearts of trainers over the course of centuries of experience. Trainers with a desire to face their inner selves will invariably find themselves drawn, and may find out something they didn't realize lay deep down.
Libraries were strange places, Kerry reflected. The sheer size and structure generally leant them an imposing air of archaism, the seemingly ancient troves sat untouched by hands for untold ages. This one was no different, and yet... was. These halls held the records of human storytelling, great sagas told throughout the ages. Fairytales, tragedies, masterpieces, studies... Everything seemed to exist within this hall. Kerry couldn't quite shake the feeling of being watched, however. This madcap realm of untold books reminded her that throughout all of human history, people always had a desire to escape the bounds of reality, be it into the realms of unfettered imagination or into the depths of times long past or yet to be, or even into the lives of others around them. Maybe it was just an underpinning human desire, the vivid fantasy of what could be proving a greater lure than the harsh reality. Kerry was rarely one to be taken by such whims, and yet... This place drew her in, somehow. Maybe it was the lure of the unpredictable, maybe it was just her own mind not knowing which path to tread, but she had been drawn here all the same. She kept most of her squad away for now, not wanting them to risk damaging the library, but her Scyther walked alongside her as ever, her trusty starter as ill at ease with their surroundings as Kerry was. These halls were dangerous, and yet... Maybe they could help her.

Turning a corner, she bumped into Liawe, who had accompanied her and Scyther to this fantastical place. She looked as baffled as Kerry that they had ended up in this corner of the library, for neither of them were truly philosophers or great studies. They'd spent too much time growing up around airplanes. Regardless, something had called them here, to this corner of this library, in the back end of somewhere. They hoped they could find out what, though Liawe also hoped it wouldn't go as poorly as her last major outing. As long as she didn't almost die, it'd be an improvement.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:36 PM   #171
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Mewtwo To the good old days

KingSalmon-

This was a fool's errand, to say the least. You, with all of your inexperience, wished to chase a pipe dream. To tackle one of the original legends... the artificial lifeform. Mewtwo. That you felt that you needed to get it first, before anyone else. Don't you know, there are countless out there? That there isn't just one of anything? That paths of fate lead to many things, but you wished to discover the heart of the matter.

So, determined, you peruse the channels of the archives. To find something, anything, of the records kept from the Cinnabar Pokemon Mansion. It was said they were lost years ago when the volcano erupted. But now, well, you've managed to find one. Whether this was the original from this world, or one Hoopa had snagged from another. It really mattered not. You were ready to dive in, to see what had happened...

The Sigilyph, with a hesitant nod, transports you into the journal. It was time to see another side of history. To live through the events that may have transpired, and to see if you can catch this literary Mewtwo before it escaped. Yes, that was the goal, wasn't it? To catch one of the Mewtwo...

You soon smell sulfur and sea salt and look around. You see smoke stacks from a large, imposing volcano, and the ocean surrounding the island on all sides. Before you sat a pristine, well-kept mansion. Your Rotom Phone then buzzes violently, before spitting out the date: September 2nd, 1994. One day after the last entry in the journal... What the hell? Well, there was no point in delaying the inevitable.

Entering the mansion, you see various researchers talking amongst themselves. The police were there, and you notice a giant psychic blast through the roof. But, from what was reported... the mansion was utterly destroyed. Seems the incident occurred late last night, and you overhear the words "Subject Zero escaped". Subject Zero? Were there multiple here? Or something beyond just a Mewtwo...

"Oh, who are you?"

The voice startles you, and you see a young woman, maybe no more than 25 approach you. She seemed to be rather young compared to most of her companions, who seemed to be in their forties at the minimum. Her hair was blacker than the darkest night, and her eyes shimmered like the ocean you had just seen. Her hair was kept in a neat "hime cut" with a floral hair clip. Her lips had an orchid lip gloss to them, and she had black-rimmed, square-cut glasses.

"Pardon me, but, as you can see things are quite... chaotic here right now. But, if you want a tour, I can more than show you around~" She gives you a cheeky smile. "My name is Valeria, by the way. Valeria Willows."

Before you could respond to her, you see a very young girl, with similar hair kept in braided pigtails and lighter blue eyes come running up to the woman, tugging on her coat.

"Mommy! Daddy called! He said he's going to be grabbing me and taking me home!" the girl shouts, a hint of fear in her voice.

"Ah good, sweet Natalie. GO back to our room, Daddy should know to grab you from there," the woman gives a sweet smile to her child, and you see the little girl run out of the mansion.

"Apologies. I'm part of the Castelia Branch... So they sent me here for a year-long residence to research Mew. Still, it is a little frustrating I only get to see my daughter and husband a few times a month. Oh, sorry, excuse my manners, young sir!" she exclaims, clapping her hands on her cheeks. "How about that tour? I'm sure you've come here for a reason, right?"

How do you respond?

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:07 PM   #172
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
[center][size=5][u]
Due to the nature of the zone as a training area for ZUs, the ZA for the Djinn's Archives will be under the guidance of all current and future ZA's, and any queries by ZUs or trainers can be levied to any of the following: Lil'twick, Prof. Enigma, ShadowDRGN and Sneaze.

Note that while new updaters are encouraged to start here so that they have more ZAs that are knowledgeable about the zone that can assist them, any trainer may start updating in any zone at any point.

I'm interested in getting back to updating, so I'm gonna put my hand up for anyone that needs an updator.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:02 PM   #173
KingSalmon
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'twick View Post
KingSalmon-

This was a fool's errand, to say the least. You, with all of your inexperience, wished to chase a pipe dream. To tackle one of the original legends... the artificial lifeform. Mewtwo. That you felt that you needed to get it first, before anyone else. Don't you know, there are countless out there? That there isn't just one of anything? That paths of fate lead to many things, but you wished to discover the heart of the matter.

So, determined, you peruse the channels of the archives. To find something, anything, of the records kept from the Cinnabar Pokemon Mansion. It was said they were lost years ago when the volcano erupted. But now, well, you've managed to find one. Whether this was the original from this world, or one Hoopa had snagged from another. It really mattered not. You were ready to dive in, to see what had happened...

The Sigilyph, with a hesitant nod, transports you into the journal. It was time to see another side of history. To live through the events that may have transpired, and to see if you can catch this literary Mewtwo before it escaped. Yes, that was the goal, wasn't it? To catch one of the Mewtwo...

You soon smell sulfur and sea salt and look around. You see smoke stacks from a large, imposing volcano, and the ocean surrounding the island on all sides. Before you sat a pristine, well-kept mansion. Your Rotom Phone then buzzes violently, before spitting out the date: September 2nd, 1994. One day after the last entry in the journal... What the hell? Well, there was no point in delaying the inevitable.

Entering the mansion, you see various researchers talking amongst themselves. The police were there, and you notice a giant psychic blast through the roof. But, from what was reported... the mansion was utterly destroyed. Seems the incident occurred late last night, and you overhear the words "Subject Zero escaped". Subject Zero? Were there multiple here? Or something beyond just a Mewtwo...

"Oh, who are you?"

The voice startles you, and you see a young woman, maybe no more than 25 approach you. She seemed to be rather young compared to most of her companions, who seemed to be in their forties at the minimum. Her hair was blacker than the darkest night, and her eyes shimmered like the ocean you had just seen. Her hair was kept in a neat "hime cut" with a floral hair clip. Her lips had an orchid lip gloss to them, and she had black-rimmed, square-cut glasses.

"Pardon me, but, as you can see things are quite... chaotic here right now. But, if you want a tour, I can more than show you around~" She gives you a cheeky smile. "My name is Valeria, by the way. Valeria Willows."

Before you could respond to her, you see a very young girl, with similar hair kept in braided pigtails and lighter blue eyes come running up to the woman, tugging on her coat.

"Mommy! Daddy called! He said he's going to be grabbing me and taking me home!" the girl shouts, a hint of fear in her voice.

"Ah good, sweet Natalie. GO back to our room, Daddy should know to grab you from there," the woman gives a sweet smile to her child, and you see the little girl run out of the mansion.

"Apologies. I'm part of the Castelia Branch... So they sent me here for a year-long residence to research Mew. Still, it is a little frustrating I only get to see my daughter and husband a few times a month. Oh, sorry, excuse my manners, young sir!" she exclaims, clapping her hands on her cheeks. "How about that tour? I'm sure you've come here for a reason, right?"

How do you respond?
It... worked?

It was only now that he was actually there that the significance of the situation began to dawn on him. That the Journal had actually worked, and that he was, indeed, witnessing history. This was 1994, before he'd even been born, and this... was Cinnabar Island.

The Cinnabar Island.

The building before him could be none other than the legendary Pokémon Mansion mentioned in the Cinnabar Journals. And that, in turn, meant he had actually travelled to that place and moment in History every kid learned about in Pokémon School.

"Gustav, you have to see this."

His oldest companion, a carefree but fiercely competitive Squirtle, emerged from the confines of the Ball he hated so much.

"Sorry I had to call you back. I wasn't sure this was going to work... but look! We actually made it! You know where we are, right?"

Gustav's reaction wasn't entirely what Arne had expected. Rather than excited, the Squirtle looked... unsettled. Unsure. Which was most uncharacteristic of him...

"It'll be fine. If we pull this off, I'll become..."

He stopped mid-sentence. Why didn't he feel ecstatic? Greatness was literally within his grasp now that he'd made his way back in time. So what was this other feeling that was starting to fester inside?

Am I... afraid?

He shook his head. No point in hesitating now. "The road to greatness leads only forward", his father always said. And so, despite Gustav's clear apprehension, and whatever that feeling inside him was that stubbornly refused to go away, Arne stepped inside the Mansion.

As he went, and his eyes shifted from the busy-looking researchers rushing about to the massive hole punched straight through the roof, his mind began to notice the inconsistencies. First, that he had not been sent to the date he requested from the Sigilyph, but one day later. And then, that by all historical accounts, this Mansion was no longer to be standing. What was going on here?...

A woman stopped him. Her appearance was striking - pitch-black hair, but with ocean-blue eyes the kind one would more commonly find in his homeland to the north. Valeria, as she was called, was young, but with a child already, the small Natalie. The way the small girl talked about her father did not elude him - he too had always been more attached to his own mother. Father had very particular ideas on how a child of the north was to be raised, and made spending time with him... challenging.

"Pleasure to meet you," replied Arne, remembering the proper formalities of how to address foreigners, unaware that Valeria too was from a different region altogether. "I... yes, I suppose a tour would be welcome. I'm not from around these parts, as you can probably tell from my accent. Although... is this the best time to looking around? People seem to be rather caught in this... incident," he added, pointing to the roof.

A Mew researcher... this might turn out to be a useful connection.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #174
KingSalmon
Boulder Badge

IronThunder:

It was a most bizarre coincidence that both of you wound up in the exact part of the massive Djinn's Archives. Bizarre enough that perhaps it was no coincidence at all, especially considering that was no obvious reason for either of you to have chosen this department in particular.

As you discuss the sheer unlikelihood of these events, Scyther seems drawn to something else entirely. A particular book on a nearby shelf, unremarkable among so many others, but for whatever reason, the mantis has taken an interest in it. Before either of you can grab it and give it a quick read, the overseeing Bisharp appears almost out of thin air and retrieves the tome. Its expression unreadable, it holds the book in its hands long enough for you take a good look at the cover, but... there's nothing written on it.

The cover is beautiful, made of what seems to be some sort of crimson cloth with interwoven golden threads, but is otherwise entirely blank. All three of you draw closer to Bisharp, who proceeds to open the book; a bright flash of light blinds you, and that's the last thing any of you remember.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"H-hey! are you listening? Are you alright?!"

Your head is throbbing. Slowly, you force yourself to open your eyes, if only to make the annoyingly persistent voice shut up. You are greeted with the sight of a long-haired brunette girl who appears to be roughly your age, but dressed in a rather funny manner - with dirty leather overalls and an equally dirty shirt underneath, which at some point must have been white, and worn-looking boots covered in mud. Most curious of all, however, was the set of goggles on her head. Despite her appearance, her smile when she realizes you're alright feels pleasant and genuine. She holds out her hand and helps you to your feet; you feel light-headed, but manage to retain your footing.

"You had me really worried for a moment there, y'know? How long have you been just lying here out on the fields? Were you mugged or something?"

You can't tell at first. But a quick look-over shows everything seems to be in place: you still have your Bag, your PokeBalls, jacket, scarf and, most critically, your glasses. Other than the lingering headache, you're all good. But... why are you in an open field, surrounded by nothing but ankle-high dry weeds as far as the eye can see? You were in the region's largest library a second ago... right?

"O-oh, sorry, I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Harriet, from the farm just up ahead. 'Bout you? Uh... if you want, you can come over for some tea, and Ma can get you looked over, case you got any scratches that need cleaning..."

Looking around a second time, you can spot a what appears to be some sort of road in the distance to the South. But this Harriet girl seems to want you to follow her instead, pointing in the opposite direction wehre you assume her farm must be...

What will you do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something hurts. Your right hand, it feels like. A soft pain, that subsides and returns, as if your were being repeatedly poked by a needle. Even before you open your eyes, that's the first thing your brain registers. Then, a voice.

"... op! Stop that! That's not a worm! leave her alone, you little... get back here!"

The pain stops. You feel a presence by your side. A gentle poke on your shoulder. Then the voice again, much closer this time.

"Hey, come on, try to wake up... You're not dead are you? Oh, what am I gonna do? Did that Scyther?..."

That gets you to open your eyes almost immediately. Scyther? What happened?

"Woah! D-don't do that again! You scared the hell out of me!"

You look to the side. A man in his early twenties, with disheveled red hair and black-rimmed glasses is staring back at you in a mixture of shock and relief. His jacket somehow reminds you of your cousin - speaking of which, where is her? And Scyther? And you, for that matter?

"C-calm down, please! You must've hit your head pretty hard... There was a Scyther looming over you when I found you, but it flew away when I sent out my Pokemon. For a moment there, I thought it had... anyway, I think it'll be back real soon, so we have to run!" He speaks almost too fast for you to follow; you get a distinct feeling that's how he always is. "Oh yeah, uh, I'm Hawker. Listen, I don't know how you ended up in my barn, but we should go back inside the house, it's safer and that mantis won't be able to follow us inside!"

A barn would explain the smell of droppings you only now begin to notice. You manage to get back to your feet and try to regain your composure faster than this Hawker character is letting you. Seems to be a real nervous type... Perhaps he wouldn't be as insistent on getting you to "safety" if he knew who that Scyther actually is; as it stands, there seems to be no real reason to actually follow him anywhere.

What will you do?
Old 01-24-2023, 10:49 PM   #175
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Mewtwo Fall into the darkside

KingSalmon-

Valeria just smiles at you as you introduce yourself, almost waving your concerns off. Yet, you can see that everyone else around here had an aura of fear. Yet, her's was one of curiosity. She seemed more determined on figuring out why the events of the previous day occurred, instead of what actually happened. She gives her terrified daughter a hug, before seeing her off from the mansion grounds. Seems she wasn't afraid of her father, but of what she had bore witness to the night prior.

"No no, now's a good time as any. Security is gonna be lax, well, for the most part," she says with a sly smile. "My lab is off limits, 'kay?"

You wonder why she says this, and you see another scientist staring at you. They seem to mouth 'do as she says' but you aren't entirely sure. She looks over to where you were staring, but you already see the person leave deeper into the building. That certainly was an... ominous warning.

"Anyways, let's get this tour started!" she claps her hands together before letting out a peppy cheer.

You hear a few scientists grumble at her response as the groups begin to disperse. You see the police finish their interrogations, and start to leave. This seemed relatively normal, all things considered, but you couldn't shake the feeling something was extremely off here. The recorded reports said the mansion was destroyed by Mewtwo yesterday. Perhaps you were living through what wasn't recorded. What wasn't said? If so, for what reason? What were the events on this day that left it wiped from the record? That destroyed the mansion? These questions continued to bore into your head, and made your Pokemon uneasy.

She takes you through the first floor, and you see a few different rooms. A kitchen, libraries, and various meeting rooms. It looked like guests mostly were met here, as well as a quiet place for the researchers to relax and unwind. You do notice a large sanitation door in the southeastern corridor of the building. STAFF ONLY were there in bold red letters.

"That's where the labs are. There's a decontamination bay down there, and we need to strictly wear our gloves and masks when down there! Of course, with how things are currently, I don't recommend we go down there for now, so let's go the other way!" she exclaims, grabbing your arm and dragging you towards the stairs. Her grip was... extremely strong.

Entering the second story, you feel a draft. Well, there was a giant hole in the ceiling after all. There was the stairwell towards the third floor in front of you, but this floor mostly seemed to be research labs. You do notice a few areas are also blocked off by grates, which was annoying. Yet, a few personal offices were here as well. Nothing too much of note... from what you can access. Except for one thing.

"This is a statue of Rhydon!" Valeria happily explains as she leads you back to the stairs. "The head researcher loves Rhydon a lot, and has a theory it actually was the first Pokemon created. So there are a few statues of it around the mansion!"

You feel like the statue was watching you... staring into your soul. Looking into its blank eyes, you could see red flickering. And a strange swirling darkness... This was extremely unnerving, and best to leave it be for now. It would only be wise to come back here when absolutely necessary.

The third floor was even more restricted than the first floor. Though that was mostly due to rubble than anything else. You carefully follow Valeria as she navigates it, and you notice it creating a few 'extra' rooms. You then see the police discussing amongst themselves, and something dropped over with a white cloth. Behind them, you could see the sky shining down from above them, and the hole in the roof proper. And below it a hole, and frigid air. That was bad, wasn't it?

"Excuse me, ma'am, sir, but this area is off limits for now," one of the officers tells you.

"I see..." the scientist says in return, looking at the cloth. "The only thing up here was the Head Researcher's Personal office anyways," she then tells you with a cheerful smile.

You then feel the ground below you shake heavily, and the power in the building flicker. You're told to duck under cover, and you manage to run under one of the tables just in time. You hear the sounds of falling roof tile as everything goes black. It takes a few minutes for the power to come back on, but when they do everyone was gone. No noise, nothing. Just straight-up gone. And what's worse is that the way you came from, as well as the hole into the basement, were both heavily covered up by the caved-in roof. All that was left was the white sheet and a path to the left.

What do you do?

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles