UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-24-2021, 03:44 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Isekai Apocalypse Mynoghra

In my humble opinion, this is the next biggest superstar in anime/manga, but progression has been quite slow. I've read quite a bit of the web novel and it hasn't disappointed yet, though. I consider it the successor to Overlord although it falls somewhat short in world building, but it's second to none for isekai.

The main crux of the story is this kid, Ira Takuto, is born with a weak body and is chronically in the hospital. He entertains himself playing video games because he can't do anything else. Then he dies, and ends up in a world similar to the game he was playing...or is it?

Like in Overlord, Takuto is taken to a "native" fantasy world, and his video game's mechanics are overlayed with that native world. He's also the head of an "evil" nation, Mynoghra, and has a beautiful female second-in-command who is obsessed with him, Atou the Sludge.

The story differs from here. Takuto isn't the only isekaijin - there are others as the head of state in other nations. However, they're not playing the same game as Takuto - their best video game also has its game mechanics overlayed over the native world, meaning all the 'players' are operating by different rules.

An example, if you would,

One player is using game mechanics from Civilization 5 (Takuto),
another is using Baldur's Gate II,
a third is playing StarCraft: Brood War,
a fourth is playing Pokemon: Crystal
a fifth is playing Portal 2

And so on.

While Takuto doesn't know why humans have been brought to this world, they're all trying to destroy Mynoghra, because the oracle of one of the native nations had a prophecy that Mynoghra would bring about the apocalypse on the world. So the main objective of the story is not only for Takuto and Myoghra to survive, but to conquer the rest of the world, as Takuto did in the video game before he died.

The light novel has just been licensed by Seven Seas, and while they're not great, I think this one is special enough to actually check out. The character-cast dynamics are different from Overlord but the interactions with the natives and 'players' is a lot better. Tighter stakes, more emotion, and better thrills all around.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I read it and it's alright. It might have potential but it's extremely short right now.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You only read the manga, right? It's just the tip of the iceberg and the release schedule is glacial (1/3 chapter every 2 months...fuh). The story doesn't pick up until Takuto summons the second hero (Insect Queen) which is happening soon in the manga. The manga so far has barely covered 25 chapters of the web novel, not even a full light novel volume.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2021, 04:29 AM   #4
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
You only read the manga, right? It's just the tip of the iceberg and the release schedule is glacial (1/3 chapter every 2 months...fuh). The story doesn't pick up until Takuto summons the second hero (Insect Queen) which is happening soon in the manga. The manga so far has barely covered 25 chapters of the web novel, not even a full light novel volume.
I read the LN then saw there was a manga so I did both. The LN doesn't go much further than that, at least from the translations I saw. If you have a translation that goes further than the upcoming fight then let me know.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I have to make a corrections, it looks like Seven Seas failed to get the Mynoghra license and it's actually a smaller publisher called Cross Infinite World. I guess that explains why the LN got out so quickly.

Some of the events of Mynoghra parallel Overlord; the inquisitors approaching the cursed forest is similar to the Sunlight Scripture attack in Overlord vol 1. One could consider the alliance with Fongan similar to Ainz and Carne Village (although critically, Fongan and Dragontan have access to the Dragon's Vein cave, this world's equivalent of the Vespene Gas geyser).

But the first segment is just the setup, unlike with Nazarick tht is basically impenetrable, Mynoghra gets attcked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
If you have a translation that goes further than the upcoming fight then let me know.
Unfortunately it seems the WN translated chapters aren't far ahead. They're only at Chapter ~27 out of 87+. I had to use machine translation and some proofing to get legibe scripts for the WN, and this particular series isn't as smooth going through the MTL cheese grater.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-29-2021, 05:54 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Here's a brief summary of what happens where the manga and WN TL's leave off.

Spoiler: show
Foncaven, the nation of demihumans adjacent to Mynoghra and the cursed forest, has been under siege from hill giants and ogres. It turns out these were summons from the Demon Army, commanded by the Demon King from Brave Quest (!notDragon Quest). The DK and his commanders, discouraged by the earlier failed assaults, stage a much bigger one lead by one of the DK's Four Holy Kings, the Icerock.

Mynoghra uses military magic to change the terrain of the battlefield, making it a cursed land. This powers up all demons present (including minions of the Demon Army) but weakens all other units. Demons make up a minority of the army so all the hill giants, stone golems and ogres are weakened significantly. Atou also stole the Demon Slayer skill from the crusaders who tried to attack the forest earlier, so despite being a demon she has a skill and weapon that's super effective against demons.

First, Atou battles Regice's summons. She learns that the summons obey the rules of Brave Quest in that they attack in a turn-based manner, two attacks at a time. Regice can also only summon 5 at once and there's a cooldown in between summonings.

After killing off the easy summons, Atou then engages Regice in melee combat. Regice is shaken when Atou points out he has a shallow backstory, desiring nothing but conquest of the world for the Demon King without any deeper reason why. Then he has a mental breakdown, realizing his entire existence was just to be fodder for the Hero. But finds some new resolve (beyond his game lore) in his desire to obtain victory for the Demon King.

They fight some more, and Regice gets beaten up. He has a looping battle script that's easy to anticipate. Atou also crits him. It looks like the end, but then Regice uses his secret Ice Slash technique that is basically a OHKO move equivalent to Sheer Cold that also bypasses accuracy checks to always hit. Atou is almost beaten and is taken by surprise by the move's effectiveness. She was spared the instant KO by the virtue of having casted Stone Skin - a skill she took from a stone golem - eating the instant death for her.

Atou recovers from the stun though, turning her damage into sludge and reabsorbing it to return to full health. She then finishes off Regice and acquires his Ice Slash instant-KO skill.

However, when Atou reports to Takuto that the Demon Army gets routed, she's informed by Takuto that Mynoghra itself is being invaded by another strike force. Uh oh!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm completely caught up with the web novel translations. At 92 chapters, the story is just wrapping up the conquest of the continent. The story is as amazing as billed and there are several genuinely moving moments you wouldn't expect from something that could be perceived as edgy (due to the evil alignment of the characters).

The confirmed games featured in the story:

Eternal Nations - Fall from Heaven II (Civilization IV mod)
Brave Quest - Dragon Quest VII
Elemental Word 4e - Dungeons & Dragons (which edition, I'm not sure)

There's at least two other games not mentioned by name. One is an eroge, the other is either Y's or Rance VI - The Fall of Zeth.

Elemental Word - the die used is a 1d100 and apparently rolling a 33 is a success.

Eternal Nations is primarily based of Civ 4 but it also incorporates elements from StarCraft. It essentially covers the technology timeline from WarCraft: Orcs & Humans through StarCraft: Brood War.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime