UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #7201
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The more I read the more I feel really bad for Ainz, he's had a really tough life.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #7202
deoxys
Fog Badge

Are the light novels officially translated or are they fanlations?

Little update on what I've been watching:

Re: Zero - I was not really into this show at all for the first few episodes but I kept going and wow, I am really into it now. It's gotten really good, my one gripe is that I really hope this show is ~24-26 episodes because it feels like, despite being 9 episodes in, there has been little progression made (for obvious plot reasons). I will be pretty disappointed if it they end it in the next 3-4 eps.

That being said Re: Zero has one of my all time favorite anime OPs. 'Redo' is such a good song.

Netoge - Watched episode three finally. It's an enjoyable show when you're bored and looking for something light-hearted but I'm considering dropping it. Haven't decided yet.

Kiznaiver - this show has exceeded all expectations so far. Trigger delivers yet another quality show.

Ace Attorney - Dear god, what a disaster.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #7203
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Am halfway through the first chapter of the first volume, and holy shit is this detailed. Getting a slight feeling of boredom from having seen a tiny bit of this prior, but am still enjoying it. Going to be up all night probably. Can someone by chance tell me which volume/chapter the anime ends, so i know how much content i can expect after that?
Anime ends at the end of Volume 3. Volume 10 just came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Fan translations. It did get licensed, though.

Quote:
Kiznaiver - this show has exceeded all expectations so far. Trigger delivers yet another quality show.
I hate this show and I don't know why I keep watching it every week.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #7204
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:

Little update on what I've been watching:

Re: Zero - I was not really into this show at all for the first few episodes but I kept going and wow, I am really into it now. It's gotten really good, my one gripe is that I really hope this show is ~24-26 episodes because it feels like, despite being 9 episodes in, there has been little progression made (for obvious plot reasons). I will be pretty disappointed if it they end it in the next 3-4 eps.

That being said Re: Zero has one of my all time favorite anime OPs. 'Redo' is such a good song.

Netoge - Watched episode three finally. It's an enjoyable show when you're bored and looking for something light-hearted but I'm considering dropping it. Haven't decided yet.

Ace Attorney - Dear god, what a disaster.
Have been keeping current with Re: Zero as well, and to a lesser degree, Kiznaiver. I believe i'm a few episodes behind on that one. Really enjoying Re: Zero. The amount of fucking done to the protagonist is amusing. His personality bothers me, though.

The show is slated for twenty five episodes (not sure if this is factoring 1A / B as two or one though), and it seems to be fairly well received, so a second season might be certainly possible, though I am unaware of how much source material there is.

As for the Overlord LN, am about to start Volume 6 chapter 8. Yal were right, the anime did fuck all for justice on the source. Am currently suffering from a bit of reading fatigue, but after that passes I will return to finish volume 6.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #7205
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I wouldn't say "the anime didn't do justice". The anime was very good, so it feels like a slap in the face for Madhouse by implying the anime was lackluster. For an adaption, with limited time and budget constraints and stupid Kadokawa at the helm, they did a commendable job. It was fanservice for the LN fans and a solid, addicting introduction for the neophytes like myself.

Yes, the LN is better - but before saying things like "more detailed" or "more developed" the key is MORE. If Madhouse had a bigger budget, like anime 10 years ago where 24-26 episode cours were the norm, I'm sure with the level of talent they threw at Overlord they could have come closer to the LN's quality.

Someone convince me to watch Re-Zero. I read the brief plot synopsis and rolled my eyes. There's a cute girl who goes rape-oni in it but that's all I know. It isn't enough to pick it up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-08-2016, 01:37 AM   #7206
Crys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Someone convince me to watch Re-Zero. I read the brief plot synopsis and rolled my eyes. There's a cute girl who goes rape-oni in it but that's all I know. It isn't enough to pick it up.
Felt the same when I first started watching. Episode 1A is a pain in the ass, and the character is a real fucking shitstain, but once you get past a few episodes it starts to get good. Watching the main character die over and over from cruel and painful ways is always fun, too.

so er basically what i'm trying to convey is that while it looks retarded when you look at the plot, it's a decent show that you have to watch first hand to appreciate.

Don't know how convincing I made that sound, but w/e. It's pretty late and I honestly don't give a fuck about making a real arguement about watching it or not, especially since you likely already have your mind made up. If you got the time, watch it. If not, whatever.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:48 AM   #7207
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Will note that Re:Zero is a 25 episode anime which means that everyone's worries can be relieved.

I am absolutely in love with Re:Zero atm and how the characters are written, I may or may not have a spot for Rem. MC's deaths become more impacting as it goes on, at least they do for me, at this rate it may be the first anime which brings me to tears. That's saying a lot considering I was one who laughed when it came to Clannad After Story. >_>
Old 06-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #7208
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I thought Clannad After's ending was dumb too, but did you at least get emotional during the wheat field scene?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #7209
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Mahoutsukai no Yoru came out over four years ago.

There is still no news regarding the second and third installments in the tale.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #7210
deoxys
Fog Badge

Re Zero: I WILL PROTECT THIS SMILE FOREVER.

I didn't ask for more waifus. I have enough, dammit!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #7211
Crys

Quote:
Re Zero: I WILL PROTECT THIS SMILE FOREVER.

I didn't ask for more waifus. I have enough, dammit!
I see your usertitle is accurate

But yeah the most recent episode was ok. Who would have possibly guess that [plot device] would be used as a [plot device]!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #7212
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
I thought Clannad After's ending was dumb too, but did you at least get emotional during the wheat field scene?
Yes but only like the tiniest bit emotional.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #7213
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Don't know what to say. I'd place that scene in my Top 5 Anime Scenes of All Time, not even restricting for genre or emotion conjured or what.

I give a lot of credit to music in visual novels. And it's credit well deserved: the right track, the one that perfectly suits a powerful moment in your game, can transcend it from striking to unforgettable. "The Place Where Wishes Come True", version 2, is one of those songs. Maeda Jun fucking nailed it out of the park -- nay, out of the parking lot -- with this one. Song on its own is good. Scene on its own is great. The two together are sublime. Perhaps a strange choice of word for a scene that is so sad and tearjerker-ey, but that scene really is something else. "Sublime."

"Gomen ne? Gomen ne?"

Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #7214
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I need to replay Clannad. I wonder if I can like it as much as I used to. That field scene got me in both anime and VN form.

I'm still waiting for a freaking translation for Mahoutsukai no Yoru. Supposedly chapters 1-5 are translated, but I'm not sure how much that covers.

Actually VN translations in general have almost died in the past couple of years. Not sure if it's because of a declining interest in VNs, or if translators don't want to do something so time intensive anymore (which is understandable). I miss the feeling of randomly going through a VN site to see a VN I forgot about, but was looking forward to being translated. Last year, I don't recall that happening once.

Sakamoto got me thinking about something. I wonder if there are any doujins about this attractive guy being raped or blackmailed by an ugly woman. The opposite is retardedly common, so I figure atleast a few fujoshi have to be into that. I tried looking for some, but came up dry.

Hoshii no Kirby
I'm surprised I actually made the time to watch this. For the most part, the show is a mess. The animation and writing are both fairly sloppy. The CGI for DDD and Escargon is pretty out of place sometimes (though it doesn't look too bad). I still enjoy the show, but that's simply because they made Kirby as adorable as possible. If it wasn't for that, I would be "meh" on the show. I forgot that Kirby says "poyo" instead of grunts, but I like it. Here's a nice example of how anything Kirby does can be cute. I'm hoping we'll atleast explore Metaknight a little. I don't consider this show to be canon to the games, but something about his true appearance would be nice.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #7215
deoxys
Fog Badge

Do we have enough people watching Re: Zero right now to justify making a thread for it? Because I am totally on the verge of doing just that.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #7216
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Do we have enough people watching Re: Zero right now to justify making a thread for it? Because I am totally on the verge of doing just that.
In my experience, one person is enough. It's good advertising if nothing else. The suggestions box is ironically not always the best place to try and advertise shows. Recommendations can get lost in the noise. And pure text, especially foreign language pure text, leaves a much weaker impression on people than a striking image. Never underestimate the value of a good banner pic.

Compare "Uchuu Kyoudai" with "Space Brothers" with .

Compare "Genshiken" with "SocStudModVisCul" with

If you treat an anime thread like a chat room or instant messaging client, then I'm sure there are many people who are annoyed by the prospect of a member talking all by himself, in a lonely room of one, posting hourly, daily, or weekly with updates of the newest episodes he's seen while no one else so much as peeps.

But if you treat an anime thread like a journal, then there can at least be some merit in logging your thoughts and feelings even when you've no one else to talk to. Because you are talking to someone else. Somewhere else, somewhen else. It might be years before somebody reads your posts and replies. And hell, they might never hit that reply button. ("Maybe I shouldn't bump this ... ") But you can bank on the hope, the possibility, that someone some day is going to read what you had to say and is going to feel like you're a pen pal reaching out to them across time and space. You might feel lonely now, but they won't feel lonely then.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #7217
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
But if you treat an anime thread like a journal, then there can at least be some merit in logging your thoughts and feelings even when you've no one else to talk to. Because you are talking to someone else. Somewhere else, somewhen else. It might be years before somebody reads your posts and replies. And hell, they might never hit that reply button. ("Maybe I shouldn't bump this ... ") But you can bank on the hope, the possibility, that someone some day is going to read what you had to say and is going to feel like you're a pen pal reaching out to them across time and space. You might feel lonely now, but they won't feel lonely then.
That is a seriously beautiful perspective to have. I really mean that.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #7218
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Make that Re:Zero thread and I'll ask questions in it. Cause I'm super interested and why that show is getting hyped.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #7219
Crys

Quote:
Make that Re:Zero thread and I'll ask questions in it.
I would also like a thread to discuss it in! That's like three people deo, imo make it =]
Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 AM   #7220
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Supporting that someone make a Re:Zero thread.

In other news, I'm watching Kiznaiver among other things and like the concept. Feels a little jumbled but that might just be me.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #7221
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Hoshii no Kirby
Halfway through this. Remember when I called this show a mess? I take that back. I'm starting to really enjoy this show. One of the biggest flaws of the early bits of this show is how they have to shove too much content into one episode. Later on, they start doing 2 part episodes, so that flaw is gone. It's still a kid's show, so you have things that don't make sense. I'd still say this is good for a kid's anime. It's especially good for a videogame based kid's anime. There's just so many little moments that I can't help but smile at. I'm also glad I got my Waddle Dee episode. If I were to mention one thing that bothers me, it's how dumb the townspeople are. They fall for the same shit over and over again. I guess that's what you should expect from a town full of haniwa. Hopefully they'll explain why Fumu's family and Kawasaki aren't haniwa.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #7222
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So apparently Kuma Miko's trainwreck ended in a nightmare of a final episode. Can anyone confirm the horror?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #7223
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
So apparently Kuma Miko's trainwreck ended in a nightmare of a final episode. Can anyone confirm the horror?
I'm severely behind. I think I last saw 06 or 07. Need to catch up. First I've heard of anything Kuma Miko-related since last I watched.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #7224
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've heard some nasty things about the manga, as viewed through the lens of an anime watcher.

Box'd to contain the cruelty (ending spoilers):

The crux of the commentary is that the manga, while allegedly light-hearted, does so by ruthlessly bullying and making fun of Machi. This might not sound like much, but to draw a comparison it's similar to Sengoku Rance with its rampant raping and pillaging used a comedy point. Rance makes rape hilarious and fun, even though, you know, in the real world it's pretty terrible.

The anime dramatizes the scenes in the manga in a way that downplays the comedy and emphasizes the social anxiety aspect, and this comes to a boiling point in the final episode where Machi is quite literally mindbroken, losing all will to try and grow up/mature and becoming the country bumpkin stereotype she feared she would become for all time.

Here's the scene, which allegedly comes after a traumatizing idol show staged by Yoshio that ends up as the straw that broke the camel's back.

She's mentally regressed all the way back to a 5-year old farmgirl. Brutal.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2016, 04:03 AM   #7225
Crys

So Shokugeki no Souma is back for another season.

Like I needed more food porn.

also there's something related to D-Gray man idk I didn't watch the first one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime