UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #4951
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Okay, I realize this is mostly due to fangasm, but bear with me here.

Dangan Ronpa the Animation is coming this year.

The long-ass title is actually Dangan Ronpa: Academy of Hope and Students of Despair. This is the anime of the first Dangan Ronpa game, which is a...I suppose horror/thriller/psychological mixed with murder mystery (the game is like a really fast-paced Ace Attorney game, but if you fail you die).

Apparently the voice actors are all kinda legendary. For a couple of examples, the antagonist Monokuma is voiced by someone who voiced Doraemon in the 70's iirc (she does a bang-up job!), and the main character is voiced by the woman behind anime history's most hated character: Shinji Ikari. Don't be alarmed though, there's nothing wangst about this game/anime.

The OST of the game is also superb, by the way.

Can't wait to see this, especially since Devil Survivor 2 hasn't exactly lived up to my expectations so far (further disappointment caused by DS2 only having 13 episodes, so plot-squeezing time!).
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #4952
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Judging from the animation quality alone (par for the course at best, below the 2013 average at worst), I don't think this project is anything more than a cheap attempt to cash in on the game's current popularity, popularity that apparently isn't enough (ŕ la Fate/Zero) to launch the game into the stratosphere and get it animated by a top-notch studio. I dunno, it just looks ... very, very Mirai Nikki-ish, production values-wise. Doesn't flood me with confidence that this is going to be amazing.

That stated, several members on UPN, you being the most recent one, have demonstrated that they absolutely love this franchise, so maybe there's hope yet. After all, there are plenty of animes which have looked gorgeous but been shitty or which have looked merely okay but have been in-fucking-credible.

EDIT: Also, apparently this news is four months old? ^^;; I just found this.

EDIT 2: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT, the animation is done by Lerche? Say it isn't so! Man, I feel bad for you Dangan Ronpa guys. Their animation for Carnival Phantasm was luscious! Nothing like what I saw here! ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #4953
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Judging from the animation quality alone (par for the course at best, below the 2013 average at worst), I don't think this project is anything more than a cheap attempt to cash in on the game's current popularity, popularity that apparently isn't enough (ŕ la Fate/Zero) to launch the game into the stratosphere and get it animated by a top-notch studio. I dunno, it just looks ... very, very Mirai Nikki-ish, production values-wise. Doesn't flood me with confidence that this is going to be amazing.

That stated, several members on UPN, you being the most recent one, have demonstrated that they absolutely love this franchise, so maybe there's hope yet. After all, there are plenty of animes which have looked gorgeous but been shitty or which have looked merely okay but have been in-fucking-credible.

EDIT: Also, apparently this news is four months old? ^^;; I just found this.

EDIT 2: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT, the animation is done by Lerche? Say it isn't so! Man, I feel bad for you Dangan Ronpa guys. Their animation for Carnival Phantasm was luscious! Nothing like what I saw here! ^^;
(Okay, anime news is old new, but the trailer was my big point.)

For comparison's sake: this material shows how the game itself looks and is played. The anime trailer at this point shows character art, mostly, and animation for Monokuma. The animations in the game are unique and visual novel-ish, except for the execution scenes - which are artistic and gruesome at the same time, like here (don't click link if you absolutely don't want to be spoiled about the first execution of the game). Regarding spoilers though: Spike released the demo of the game, and it had a completely different person die than the actual game, so it's possible the anime has different people killed, or in a different order. It's also a PSP-game, mind you.

I have faith that this murder mystery is going to be far easier to make into anime than Devil Survivors and Personas.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #4954
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, this was brought to my attention today ...

Someone made a K-On! x Cast Away crossover doujin. It's non-erotic, and someone's offered up an amateur translation into English, so by all means, check it out no matter your age, creed, or occupation if you like K-On! and are looking for this cute and peculiar lil' parody. I'd provide the title but I worry that that'd lead people looking for the doujin here, to UPN, since UPN tends to do a decent job of bubbling up to the top of Google searches. ^^; So just click on the Pixiv link up top and highlight the title of the picture, minus the word サンプル "sample" in thick Japanese-style square brackets, and search for it that way if you want. Alternatively, the English title offered by the fan translator is AzuXXXXXXXnyan's DeseXXXXXXXrted IslaXXXXXXXnd CastaXXXXXXXway StoXXXXXXXry , deleting the XXXXXXX's that appear in each of those words.

As one commenter notes, "あずにゃんからタフにゃんにパワーアップ!" or "She powered up from Azunyan to Toughnyan!"
Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #4955
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Watched the first episode of Shingeki no Kyoujin (Attack on Titan), and jesus christ I haven't been so impressed with an opening episode in a long time. Artwork and Animation is incredibly well done. There's a certain animation style to it that seems to look like a manga, which is probably intentional seeing as there's a comic strip clip in the opening theme (which is actually really good). But the thing I'm most impressed about is the Facial Expressions... oh god those facial expressions. It seems like the dark atmosphere is improved by having incredibly believable character emotion, and the faces and the close-ups on the eyes just added to the effect. Didn't really pay attention to the music but what I heard was pretty good; really intense and dark orchestral stuff.

Lots of stuff happened but I won't make any spoilers unless somebody decides to watch this. I'm sure the series will probably go right down the shitter but the first episode has me hooked. Left me with lots of questions that I want answered but it seems like the show will pace itself well.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #4956
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Media Factory confirmed that the author of Zero no Tsukaima (and Green Green among things) died of cancer at age 41 on 4 April 2013. Apparently, people knew about this for a while, but I didn't follow ZnT since the anime has sucked for a while. Dude worked hard to finish the series before he died, which is more than can be said for Kaoru Kurimoto, author of Guin (who left it unfinished). She also died of cancer, three years ago.

I read about the deaths related to YU-NO was it two years ago (?) and it's really interested me, how that middle age seems recur when it comes to untimely deaths.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #4957
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Media Factory confirmed that the author of Zero no Tsukaima (and Green Green among things) died of cancer at age 41 on 4 April 2013. Apparently, people knew about this for a while, but I didn't follow ZnT since the anime has sucked for a while. Dude worked hard to finish the series before he died, which is more than can be said for Kaoru Kurimoto, author of Guin (who left it unfinished). She also died of cancer, three years ago.

I read about the deaths related to YU-NO was it two years ago (?) and it's really interested me, how that middle age seems recur when it comes to untimely deaths.
I've reported on this in the past, I'm pretty sure both here and IRL. Certainly IRL, but I'd think I'd have done it here too. ... well, I just did a search, and sure enough I've never posted about it here. Odd. I'm positive I already knew about it by the time of that conversation you can find me having with Morg about whether ZnT is worth picking up or not.

Anyway, doesn't matter. What does matter is that the poor guy passed away. I felt real bad for him, having to rush what he hoped would be his legacy (and it wasn't exactly ever Shakespeare) else he die and leave it unfinished; but like you've pointed out, at least he did manage to finish it. (He did, right? ^^; Last I checked he was still working on it.) Many authors die without ever getting to finish their masterpieces. So I'm happy for him that, even if people criticize it for being crappy or whatever, he at least managed to get ZnT done before he died. Good for him, poor guy.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #4958
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Haven't done much in the past few days, cause of tests and the like. As I told BBB too, I had nightmares two of the past three days regarding Rewrite. The writer made an horrific comparison with Mary Poppins in Kotori's Route that, while it disturbed me when I read it, didn't really do much until it started haunting me as I slept. Throw in a bit of the secrets in Little Busters and I'm trapped in a nightly room of hyper-phobia.

In other news, it seems like Little Witch Academia is so popular the creators said, "if you want more, see if you can get a kickstarter going, and we'll make a 6 episode OVA". Would be interesting if it happened!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #4959
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
So, I've heard of a series I may want to check out. Does anyone know of "Kore wa Zombi Desu Ka?"? If you have, opinions?
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #4960
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
So, I've heard of a series I may want to check out. Does anyone know of "Kore wa Zombi Desu Ka?"? If you have, opinions?
This I have some expertise in!

It's a mildly interesting series. It's got a dichotomous element to it - on the one hand, there's the battle segments between Ayumu + co. against the "Megalo" monsters. On the other hand, there's some slice of life with moe.

The biggest draw to it is the girls. Fairly typical harem - there's a loli tsundere, a swordswoman tsundere, a tsun pervert, a waifish "magical girlfriend", and the silent/emotionless girl.

Main character Ayumu isn't a timid pushover, but his personality is suppressed by the fact he's an animated corpse. So, a lot of the things he thinks/feels come across as intentionally empty, which is a bit sad and paradoxical given the girls are fighting over him like he's still alive. That never made sense to me.

There's some funny bits but on the whole, barring the cute designs, voices and general fantasy setting it isn't a series I would go out and recommend. I wouldn't call it boring, or painful, but there's no impulsive desire to watch each episode unless one is vested in a "waifu war" and seeks to argue with other fans about who should pair up with Ayumu each week.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #4961
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Ah, I know that series!

It's fun because it doesn't really take itself seriously at all. It makes a lot of jokes at the expense of the harem genre, and "That's not a kick!" is the first running gag that's entertained me in a while.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #4962
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm sorry Doppel, but when I think of that comparison, I can't help but find it amusing. Oh Romeo, please stay cynical!

Not much in my line of work. I've been slowly watching Jewelpet Sunshine while most of my time free has been dedicated to videogames. Though there are a few noteworthy things I've watched I guess. I need to post about JoJo sometime.

Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger 2
Along with the new anime, this aired as well. While it's not anime, it still references anime and otaku culture, so that's reason enough to post it here. The first episode of this was pretty lame. The entire episode was a flashback, and alot of it was done with toys. The only things I found amusing were a few small jokes here and there. Hopefully this will pick up and still be the same awesome Akibaranger the first season was.

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
I finally found out what's going on with season 2, and it's like FSN gone retarded. Like, none of it makes any damn sense. I mean, the murder weapons thing isn't bad, but they really terribly tacked on the girl with super long hair thing. Oh well, atleast it's not bad enough for me to drop it.

Hataraku Maou-sama!
Episode 2 was the same awesome show episode 1 was. I'm not crazy about the direction this is going, but as long as they don't try to make it serious or introduce more girls, it should be fine. Keep it up god damnit!

Jewelpet Sunshine
I'm about 8 episodes through this. Like Precure, this is fairly easy to understand without subs, but I'm sure I miss out on a bunch of puns, and when describing stuff, I'm lost. Thankfully this is mostly visual humor, and awesome visual humor at that. The main Jewelpet's human companion in this is so much more interesting than the others. I hope the show can stay awesome. So far, 2 out of 2 Jewelpet shows I've finished have had crappy endings.

There's one scene that really took me back, and almost left me with my mouth open in confusion. It's this scene. At first, when I watched this subbed, I thought the subbers did it, because Aayako was known for stuff like that, but after watching the RAW, I realized it was actually part of the show. It's probably the first time an anime had an American insert song for me, and even more surprising is that it's a little girl's show playing a damn 80's American rock song. Though I guess that's Jewelpet Sunshine for ya! Always being screwey!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #4963
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Aku no Hana episode 2 looks positively normal! I guess that first episode was just an overseas animation studio snafu.

Spoiler: show
Just kidding. That's fanart. :V

Check out the rotoscoping cast. They're all nice looking. This should have been an LA J-Drama instead.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #4964
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Aku no Hana episode 2 looks positively normal! I guess that first episode was just an overseas animation studio snafu.

Just kidding. That's fanart. :V

Check out the rotoscoping cast. They're all nice looking. This should have been an LA J-Drama instead.

YOU DARED TO GET MY HOPES UP!

I still can't forgive the rotoscoping and fully agree: a dorama would have worked waaaaay better than this.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #4965
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I watched the first episode of Hataraku Maou-sama!.

To my surprise, I liked it a lot. But I'm skeptical of the premise being sustainable given the twist at the end. It had nice production values, so I recommend everyone at least try out the first episode just for a few laughs. Episode 2 will make/break the series.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #4966
deoxys
Fog Badge

Aku no Hana Episode 2 was awful.

I'm sorry, I just can't get into this show, yet I will probably continue watching it due to ironic peer pressure. The plot premise is a joke. I just don't see how the fuck I'm supposed to care about some lonely awkward high schooler with raging hormones. I mean, the depression and the atmosphere created around his mood are incredible. They feel so atmospheric and grand, but the situation just doesn't feel right. You'd think he accidentally killed someone and was trying to hide it with the emotion they are trying to convey.

It's just frustrating to watch and kind of boring. And this "contract" with the red haired chick? What a crock. Episode 2's horrible cliffhanger was red hair pushing our protagonist into his crush, as she is watching, and his face falls into her breasts. OKAY. GREAT CLIFFHANGER. THAT'S SOME REALLY EMOTIONAL, DISASTROUS SHIT RIGHT THERE.

Maybe I'm jaded or I don't understand/remember the feeling of anxiety and awkwardness as a high schooler, but the atmosphere just feels way too fucking dark for the situation.

Plan on watching Hataraku Maou-sama! at the suggestion of a few and now Dopple very soon as well as Shingeki no Kyojin.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #4967
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have...stuff!

Ore no Imouto S2
God this week's episode was awful. Kyouske went completely out of character to the point where he was just a drooling retard the entire episode. Kirino wasn't even bad this episode, which is surprising, but the interactions between Kyouske and Ayase were so god damn annoying. If next week's episode annoys me, I'm dropping this.

Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
The second episode of this was actually kind of funny. It wasn't hilarious or anything, but I did enjoy the second episode. I guess as long as this show doesn't hurl obnoxious hyperactivity at me, it's not bad. Also a question. Did Tamura Yukari get into some kind of trouble or something? This is the first anime I have seen in a long time where she has gotten a new lead role, and it's not exactly a popular anime either. I guess it's either that or her popularity has died down.

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Huh, Coalguys came back from the dead to sub this. I jumped into this to test my nerve. To see how long it takes for this show to straight out piss me off. I was annoyed within the first 30 seconds of the show, but never more than that. Actually...god damn this was actually kinda funny. I hated how they kept saying "Hur hur, the main guy is a pervert!" over and over and OVER, but otherwise it wasn't that bad. Though I was mostly amused at the totally inappropriate things the main guy told the girls. When the main guy asked the club leader girl when her breasts started growing, he should have included "They started growing when you were a baby, didn't they?". This will likely get old, since JC likes to overfeed you decent humor, but otherwise, not a bad first episode. Haah, I jumped into this expecting to start hating on it.

Shingeki no Kyojin
Drama drama drama DRAMA DRAMA JESUS FUCKING DRAMA! That's all the second episode of this was! I get it! People died! We don't need 20 straight minutes of bellyaching over it! You don't see me crying because all those people died! Ahem! Bitching and joking aside, this episode was pretty annoying. I get that we need some of this drama for some of the things happening, but this episode was nothing but drama. The main guy was just screaming and picking fights with everyone, and it was just fucking silly. He was worse than Sorata!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #4968
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Shingeki no Kyojin
Drama drama drama DRAMA DRAMA JESUS FUCKING DRAMA! That's all the second episode of this was! I get it! People died! We don't need 20 straight minutes of bellyaching over it! You don't see me crying because all those people died! Ahem! Bitching and joking aside, this episode was pretty annoying. I get that we need some of this drama for some of the things happening, but this episode was nothing but drama. The main guy was just screaming and picking fights with everyone, and it was just fucking silly. He was worse than Sorata!
Huh, glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. ^^; Dunno, the over-the-topness just grates on me at times. Kinda want to punch the main guy, so it's good the girl did at least.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #4969
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I still haven't wrapped up Winter 2013, much less started Spring 2013. Sorry. Can't chime in with anything yet.

Minami-ke Tadaima: I think I'm pulling my usual "gets right up to the final boss and then puts the game down" routine only with a much-beloved anime franchise this time instead. I keep saying that I don't want to watch the final two episodes until the mood is right ... but the mood's never been magically "right" yet and it's been almost two weeks now, hasn't it? I dunno. I still side with the part of me that wants to wait for the perfect moment, but the part of me who wants to kick that guy's ass into gear and is saying "Oh just watch it already! Mcsweeney's waiting for you!" is getting a bit louder.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: the show got so boring that I guess I just can't bring myself to waste time on this one right now. ^^; I am still hoping to be entertained though, don't get me wrong. If nothing else, this anime gave me one hell of a beautiful woman to enjoy fanart and doujins of for years to come, so there's that.

Senran Kagura: the last episode I watched was Episode 11. I forget if I posted in the thread or not but this show got good around Episode 9 (caught me quite by surprise!) and maintained that level of goodness throughout both Episodes 10 and 11. A very welcome surprise, it's just such a shame that it's not a tiny bit stronger in degree of goodness or that it didn't happen just two or three episodes sooner. Looking forward to the finale, but like Minami-ke, perpetually putting off.

Puchimas: see Minami-ke Tadaima. I really, really came to love this show, silly and fluffy as it was. Don't want it to end. ;_;

Spring 2013 offerings: I have on the to-see list as of right now ...
  • Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Suisei no Gargantia
  • Shingeki no Kyojin
  • Aku no Hana
  • Photokano
Red Data Girl (by P.A.Works) looks wonderful visually but the trailer and premise so make me go "meh " that I haven't even bothered to investigate this one yet, whereas the other five (listed above) I've at least taken the effort of tracking down the episodes. Anyway, I have pretty middling expectations for all five series but would love to be delightfully surprised by each and every one of them. And RDG too, of course.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #4970
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Wow, are you serious?! You haven't even watched the end of Minami-ke 4 yet? I always assumed that you immediately watched it after you got back, but haven't commented yet because you were attempting to write the essay to end all essays about it.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #4971
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't want it to end. ;_;

No, realistically, my mind is a million places at once these days, and that's not the frame of mind I want to be in while watching my Minami-ke. Still though. It has been several weeks.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #4972
deoxys
Fog Badge

Watched the first two episodes of Hataraku Maou-sama!, and it's already easily a favorite.

Reasons to watch:

1. Unique and interesting premise

2. Hilarious comedy that will actually make you laugh

Thinking about making a thread for it. I am really, really liking this show and can't wait for the next episode.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #4973
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Maybe I just don't get the joke or the appeal, but #3 ain't doin' it for me. ^^; (Red hair and yellow eyes isn't a preferred color combo of mine, she's rather flat chested in that picture, that singularly braided bit of hair is annoying me, I hate those stupid little tiny-ass ribbons on some lingerie, ...)

#1 and #2 are why it's on the list of series to check out. All in due time.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #4974
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Maybe I just don't get the joke or the appeal, but #3 ain't doin' it for me. ^^; (Red hair and yellow eyes isn't a preferred color combo of mine, she's rather flat chested in that picture, that singularly braided bit of hair is annoying me, I hate those stupid little tiny-ass ribbons on some lingerie, ...)

#1 and #2 are why it's on the list of series to check out. All in due time.
>judging a woman based on her appearances alone
>2013
Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #4975
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
>judging a woman based on her appearances alone

>2013
THAT'S ABOUT ALL ONE CAN DO WITH A FUCKING PICTURE AND NOTHING ELSE TO SHOW FOR IT!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime