UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #7151
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys;743271
- By the way, [b
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk[/b], worth it or not?
It was not worth the first season, I doubt the second has any worth.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 PM   #7152
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Maybe I should give Hero Academic a second shot. I tried it once before but thought it sucked. Yet, I read here people are going further than me and are saying it's good. I'm really skeptical though, so if you make that topic I might lurk it a while before trying it out. It's got to take a lot for me to overcome my instinct, which is pretty powerful at this point in my "career".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #7153
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Maybe I should give Hero Academic a second shot. I tried it once before but thought it sucked. Yet, I read here people are going further than me and are saying it's good. I'm really skeptical though, so if you make that topic I might lurk it a while before trying it out. It's got to take a lot for me to overcome my instinct, which is pretty powerful at this point in my "career".
Let me put it this way. Hero Academia is nothing revolutionary by any means. It's not really doing anything new, either, in fact, it recycles a lot of tropes.

But it's really good entertainment. Like, really good. The author hits the nail on the head with pacing and action/story content. Granted I'm not super far in, and I don't know about the pacing of the actual anime as far as that will go, but the manga is pretty good. There are lots of "aha" moments, there's a lot of great action, the comedy is decent. My main issue so far is that outside of the two main characters, everyone else is pretty flat. There's no real depth; they have their quirks (no pun intended), but they're pretty two dimensional so far. Hoping the further I read the more this will clear up.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #7154
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Kuma Miko

I'm hoping we'll get more fucked up humor in the future.
I watched the episode greatly anticipating this, but I didn't get any. So here's my attempt to create some fudged up humour.

Spoiler: show

Also, main girl is literally that one fat chick from Gargantia (who was best friends with the main girl from Gingitsune, coincidentally):

I feel bad that it feels like Talon is the only one who does blog-style summaries for episodes. Not because it would be leaving Talon to put the most effort in it (I know he enjoys writing/sharing like that), but it makes me feel like I put no effort into my commentary.

Unfortunately, I'm far, far too corrupt to give an honest summary of anything anymore. The best I can do is some snide, ribald mockery of whatever I watch. So for the more obscure titles I vow to watch soon (and clear up femputer memory) I'll give that a shot. It'll be some stranger-than-fiction marriage between Talon and Blastoise...'s posting styles.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #7155
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Name twenty OPs/EDs that were originally in English AND that were not already a well-known song before appearing in the OP/ED. So for example, no "Walk Like an Egyptian" for JoJo.

Group effort. I'll get us started.

01. "Lithium Flower" | ED | Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
02. "We Were Lovers" | OP | Gankutsuou
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #7156
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Sugar Baby Love?

I guess Fly me to the Moon is out of the picture, eh.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #7157
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Name twenty OPs/EDs that were originally in English AND that were not already a well-known song before appearing in the OP/ED. So for example, no "Walk Like an Egyptian" for JoJo.

Group effort. I'll get us started.

03. "Duvet - Bôa" | OP | Serial Experiments Lain
04. "The Sore Feet Song - Ally Kerr" | OP | Mushi-shi
05. "Shiver - Lucy Rose" | OP | Mushi-shi Zoku Shou
06: "One Reason - Fade" | OP | Deadman Wonderland
07: "We're Not Alone - ColdRain" | OP | Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Old 04-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #7158
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Sweet! Thanks! Let's do this! I know through the community's combined efforts we can list 20 ... I hope! ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Sugar Baby Love?

I guess Fly me to the Moon is out of the picture, eh.
Both of these examples are mixed English and Japanese, and don't work. (Arbitrary cutoff would be three Japanese words maximum. The litmus test would be, "Would most listeners unquestioningly assume the song originated from an English-speaking country?")

Though this raises a good point ... I don't know that we can count this: ^^;

08. "Ringo Hiyori ~The Wolf Whistling Song" | ED | Wolf & Spice

Going to table that one for now, I think. ^^;;

Running List:

AA. "Ringo Hiyori ~The Wolf Whistling Song" | ED | Wolf & Spice
Old 04-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #7159
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

8. Cory in the House | OP | Cory in the House
Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #7160
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

9. "Never Say Never" | OP | Dangan Ronpa
10. "Panty & Stocking Theme" | OP | Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
11. "Fallen Angel" | ED | Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
12. "Hit in the USA" | OP | Beck
13. You ft. Kazami | ED | Samurai Champloo (ep 17)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #7161
McSweeney
Soul Badge

14. "Why or Why Not" | ED | When They Cry (Higurashi)

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #7162
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

15. "Innocence" | ED | Barakamon
16. "Last Theater" | ED | Death Parade

Two by Noisycell. These two are both in English, but they're pretty Engrish. You can tell they're English, but it's pretty tough to understand some of the lyrics. Not 100% sure if they count, but I'll throw them in here just in case.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #7163
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Running List:
08. "Ringo Hiyori ~The Wolf Whistling Song" | ED | Wolf & Spice
09. "Never Say Never" | OP | Dangan Ronpa
10. "Panty & Stocking Theme" | OP | Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
11. "Fallen Angel" | ED | Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
12. "Hit in the USA" | OP | Beck
13. You ft. Kazami | ED | Samurai Champloo (ep 17)
14. "Why or Why Not" | ED | When They Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni)
15. "Innocence" | ED | Barakamon
16. "Last Theater" | ED | Death Parade

Haven't had time to vet most of these. But checking out "Hit in the USA" and "Why or Why Not," I've gotta say I'm concerned that most of these submissions might not pass the litmus test of "can't tell the song wasn't sung by a native English speaker." The English-as-a-second-language-ness is pretty obvious with both of these songs, and I have to question the other submissions as a result.

Still, for right now, these are songs that are fully in English so they definitely pass the most major criterion. That's good, at least.

Going to temporarily toss the Spice & Wolf ED in at Number 08, even though it blatantly fails the litmus test, because there's no point in excluding it if I'm going to end up including other songs that also fail that particular litmus test.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #7164
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh, I didn't know that it had to be accent-free as well.

Does Tank! from Cowboy Bebop's OP count? Some guy utters one line, "I think it's about time we blow this thing. One two three let's go" in English, and then the rest of the song is instrumental. Cowboy Bebop's entire soundtrack is full of "you would have never known it was Japanese" songs. Another one is the song "Blue" that plays during the ending credits of the last episode, but not really an ED.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #7165
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Oh, I didn't know that it had to be accent-free as well.

Does Tank! from Cowboy Bebop's OP count? Some guy utters one line, "I think it's about time we blow this thing. One two three let's go" in English, and then the rest of the song is instrumental. Cowboy Bebop's entire soundtrack is full of "you would have never known it was Japanese" songs. Another one is the song "Blue" that plays during the ending credits of the last episode, but not really an ED.
Yeah I didn't notice the accent part either. I already asked about mostly instrumental tracks though and those aren't allowed. I think "Blue" should count though, since I asked about insert OPs/EDs as well and those are fair game.

On another note: Do movie credits soundtracks count?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #7166
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We can add "Blue" for now. A lot of it, that beginning bit, isn't in English though.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #7167
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
We can add "Blue" for now. A lot of it, that beginning bit, isn't in English though.
Tbf it's not Japanese either. ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
On another note: Do movie credits soundtracks count?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #7168
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'd say so. I would count something like a Ghibli film's ED credits song.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #7169
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

17. "Fine on the Outside" | ED | When Marnie Was there
Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #7170
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Haha, when did you watch that? I didn't think anyone here had seen it yet. (I haven't either.) How was it?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #7171
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Haha, when did you watch that? I didn't think anyone here had seen it yet. (I haven't either.) How was it?
I haven't actually. I just heard the song from the trailer and really like it. XP I haven't watched Beck either but it's on my list of things to see someday. The music is pretty good despite the Engrish.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #7172
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I can't think of anything for that list. I generally skip OP/EDs I don't care for after the first time I watch them.

Some new shows!

Anne Happy
Episode 2 wasn't as funny as I hoped. I still like the show. It's just amusing that the most down-to-earth person is in love with who she is.

Boku no Hero Academia
Episode 3 was kind of annoying. I'm not talking about the reveal. I actually liked that. It's more the attempts at humor with the main guy. I'm surprised we didn't find any surprise banana peels.

Flying Witch
This is an okay show. It's not terribly interesting or funny, but it's something to watch and say "look at those pretty colors that look like people." The mandrake bit at the end of the first episode was great though.

Kuromukuro
PA's anniversary show is here, and they turned it into a typical alien invasion mecha show with some romance. IT'S ALMOST LIKE IT'S ANOTHER MACROSS! The first episode was showing the main girl and her issue. I was waiting the whole episode for some guy to appear for the typical romantic interest. Actually I was waiting for someone who looked and acted like Hikari from Nagi no Asukara. What happened was (end of episode 1 spoilers)
Spoiler: show
instead of a PA hero, we get some crazy mecha protagonist who is a straight badass. Not exactly original, but atleast he's better than Hikari.

Mayoiga
I can't watch this garbage anymore. This show is just a showcase of people acting stupid and irrational. I guess there's a reason society rejected these pieces of shit. I wanted to know what ended up happening, so I stuck through episode 2, but I can't do it anymore.

Sakamoto Desu ga
STILL NO EPISODE 2! Japan and their earthquakes.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #7173
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not too long ago I discovered this anime podcast by two brothers. Held off on saying anything until they at least completed Phantom Blood, but now that they've done that I'll go ahead and recommend their podcast to fans of Hyouka and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. They're pretty humorous and bring a lot of love to the table, one brother for Hyouka and both brothers for JoJo. If you're remotely interested in listening to two brothers provide a play-by-play of either of these two series' episodes, give Aniki a whirl.

Their format is in the vein of "watch an episode, recite an episode scene by scene for the viewer while injecting commentary along the way" style of anime reviews. That's not my #1 preference (even if I have been known to write that way here on the forums from time to time! ). I prefer a style where you hit the highlights, whether in chronological order or not. But the fun consequence of their format is that I basically get to re-watch Hyouka without actually re-watching Hyouka. I put the podcast on while I'm the only person at work, a time where I can't really be browsing the forums or watching TV but I can be listening to an audio track while doing my stuff.

I will disclaim that Episode 01 or 00 (whatever the first one is, before they actually begin to watch any anime) is fairly boring / a tease. I would personally suggest skipping straight ahead to the first episode where they actually watch the shows.

I will also disclaim that I find their JoJo sessions to be vastly superior to their Hyouka ones. That may just be because I enjoy JoJo more than I do Hyouka, or that I more eagerly anticipate their reactions to famous JoJo moments than I do their reactions to Hyouka ones. If you're tuning in for JoJo only, don't feel bad about skipping ahead to the JoJo sections. I currently listen to both but I won't lie that for me the Hyouka ones are more of a slog whereas the JoJo ones are the ones I really come here (go there?) to listen to.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #7174
deoxys
Fog Badge

Question for you guys.

What, in your eyes, makes an anime and perfect 10/10? I started to ask myself this question because I have seen a lot of good anime but I don't know if there are any I've given a 10, implying perfection. I did give Mononoke Hime and Death Note tens on MAL, but I'm not sure Death Note actually deserved it, it's probably more like an 8 or 9, there were some big issues I had with how they handled the last several episodes. Obviously the key things for me would be: No plot holes, well written, did something unique (though this is not a necessity), great characters, great soundtrack, and great animation.

But what, for you, defines perfection for an anime?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #7175
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Interesting plot, good direction, animation that meets the subject matter, and great/appealing art.

Art, like physical appearance, is the dominating factor when it comes to any visual media. Animation needs to be appropriate - giving Gurren-Lagann frames to BokuDake would have not only been a waste, but a Aku no Hana style distraction.

Plots don't have to be hole-proof to score 10/10. Consider Back to the Future, which is founded on a logical but wrong premise. Doesn't hamper the enjoyment and doesn't get the physicist in me upset. Unlike what happened in Steins;Gate. The production team has to successfully suspend your disbelief and in some settings that's really hard.

Good direction speak to the reader subliminally. It sets up the emotional impact and builds tension. It's about on par with artwork as essential to a good anime, but it definitely is second among equals in that regard.

Character development isn't essential at all. Character development is just one, popular way stories develop.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime