UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #26
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

As long as they are younger than you to the point that they appear like a different species Josh. Hahaha

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #27
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Cursive is literally pointless outside of signatures.
Clearly you're forgetting about the two sentences of cursive that you need to write when taking the SATs. Took some folks in my testing room upwards of ten minutes for this simple task. Surely this is the number one reason why cursive should be taught.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #28
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Cursive is taught so people have better handwriting in general. It is basically calligraphy and teachers hope it carries over to your normal writing. But with the transition to digital typing now, it is considered less important.

Also, get off my lawn.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #29
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Relicanth thread icon

I feel attacked.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:12 AM   #30
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Cinema and television. It can be strange when you were well into your teens when some great movie or TV show came out, and so of course you saw it live and participated in all of the conversations that took place at the time, but then years later you discuss the movie with a 20-something and he talks about the movie as though it were The Godfather or some other classic of cinema that is on everyone's To See list and that of course came out before you were born. There are also those moments where you're in a conversation with three people -- yourself, someone your age or older, and someone ten years younger -- and you make pop cultural references that to you are obvious and anyone should know but which the 20-something-year old has no idea what you're talking about. I had one of these just the other day in fact. Was doing a silly dance that made an older coworker laugh. Asked her conversationally if she remembered the Urkel. (Of course she did.) Then, on explaining it to a younger coworker, I was asked: "Who's Steve Urkel?" That really made me feel old. I feel like everyone who was watching television in the early 1990s remembers Steve Urkel and Family Matters, but apparently anyone born around the time the show was canceled hasn't got a clue about it. Keep in mind, this wasn't just a show I say was popular because I knew about it in my own little bubble: this was a national craze that spawned all manner of memorabilia including a pull-the-string talking Steve Urkel doll that was one of the hot-ticket items of its holiday season. I don't see a pull-the-string Sheldon doll or a pull-the-string Ron Swanson doll. I don't see Andy-O's cereal or Leonard Puffs cereal. Urkel had a cereal. Urkel had toys. Urkel was everywhere. And yet? Today's young adults haven't got a clue who he even is.
My experience with this is different. When I was younger, my staples on television were:

-Scooby Doo
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Power Rangers
-Beast Wars: Transformers
-Pokemon
-SpongeBob Squarepants
-Dragonball Z
-Rugrats
-Digimon

For kids these days, it's

-Scooby Doo
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Power Rangers
-Transformers
-Pokemon
-SpongeBob Squarepants
-Dragonball Super
-Yo-Kai Watch

It's creepy as fudge to see stuff I grew up with, being the things kids today grew up with.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #31
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Though not related to the Tetris topic at hand. You brought up an interesting point Talon that even I, probably one of the younger folk on the forum can relate to. This subject being cursive. In the third grade (2007/8 if I recall correctly) cursive was a mandatory part of the English curriculum. Now, 8 years later, my little brother has entered the third grade, and to my shock, cursive is no longer even taught, let alone mentioned. I still have trouble with a fair deal of the cursive I did not use, such as those damn Z's, but it's still a good skill to have, especially for banking and signatures. The fact that they don't even briefly skim over it is quite scary.
I'm 13. I learned cursive in 3rd grade and now my little sister is in that grade and they don't teach it. The teachers are like, "Well now a days everyone uses IPads and laptops and crap and don't need to know how to write in basic cursive." Like it's not that freaking hard to teach. Spelling was always my favorite when I was younger.

Everything nowadays just gets me like #*#~&*{&~}&{ş*Ş‚’}{&&~ş}ƒş}„ƒ}}}ƒ} (swearing)
Old 11-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #32
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
In India everyone writes in cursive. It's mostly pointless, also my handwriting is terrible.

We're all going to be typing everything in the future so who cares about writing stuff tbh.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #33
deoxys
Fog Badge

My reaction to that was sort of shock, but then I realized maybe it's not such a bad thing. I don't personally even remember the last time I wrote anything in cursive, and I don't know of anyone who has. It's supposed to be a faster method of writing while also being more formal, but it's also a dying tradition.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #34
Heather
Naga's Voice

People are taught cursive then its made irrelevant so that people stop caring about it so writing their name in cursive devolves into the scribbles we know as signatures. That's the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #35
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Clearly you're forgetting about the two sentences of cursive that you need to write when taking the SATs. Took some folks in my testing room upwards of ten minutes for this simple task. Surely this is the number one reason why cursive should be taught.
I remember that! I told CollegeBoard to fuck off and printed it.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #36
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

I remember learning cursive all through Primary School. Not once have I used it since then, not in high school, not at Uni, never!

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc