UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #851
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Jeri, would you say that you think the game deserves a 40/40?

Definitely not.

Though I can't read most of the Japanese and I'm really not used to the new 'mon yet.

We'll see as I progress - I haven't gotten past Gym 2 yet.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #852
Toastedbagel
Boulder Badge

I would download the ROM, but I would feel guilty because OH MY GOD PIRACY. So I'll just wait a year and lust over the screenshots.
Toastedbagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #853
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Though I can't read most of the Japanese and I'm really not used to the new 'mon yet.
Yeah, that's too bad. 'Cause the story's really quite neat from what I've picked up. Team Plasma's obsession with an ends-justify-the-means attempt to liberate Pokémon is very cool. The heroes point out repeatedly to them, "Well aren't you trainers, too!? Aren't you issuing orders to Pokémon, making them do battle!?" Team Plasma's grunts time after time reply, "Well, yes, but you see we really don't have any choice." Yes, they might seem to be acting hypocritically: but they're also in touch with reality. lol They realize that the only way to force somebody to do something they don't want to do is to have the necessary power. And for the time being, that power comes from trained Pokémon.

But back to the problem of playing through blindly: this can be irksome when the news sites make claims that are just plain wrong. I was looking for someone who may have written a better walkthrough for Gym 2 than me so I can post it here for you guys, and while doing so I came across this misinformation on PokéBeach:
Quote:
A boy named Kidachi just ran up to Aloe - he says she's his mom.
Wrong. He does call her "Mama," but it's in the manner as when a husband and wife refer to one another as Father and Mother, or Papa and Mama, etc. When you first meet Kidachi, he boasts that Aloe is the strongest and gentlest gym leader in all of Isshu -- and then follows that up with, "And she's also my wife!" (What I wouldn't give for a ripped script right about now so I could quote the exact line!! ^^; Just look for the characters 奥さん (if you're in kanji mode) or おくさん if you're in kana mode. He'll say it when you're at the very top of the fossil museum bit of the gym.)

Quote:
We'll see as I progress - I haven't gotten past Gym 2 yet.
Oh? I figured the screencap you posted of "Carmen Sandiego" was your very own, taken using your PC webcast software. Who'd you get it from then? Serebii? 4chan? When I saw that, I was like, "Well Jeri's waaaaaaaaaay ahead of me!! LOL He won't be needing my help! "

Last edited by Talon87; 09-18-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #854
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

Got through Gym 2 just fine. It just takes a while.

also the cat sucks. I'm not gonna be using it on my real team. Maybe the dog though, it's evolved form easily KOs my Shimama and the evolved cat.
Ryuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #855
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I can't believe I forgot to talk about the daycare scene! GameFreak's really reached an all-time low with this one:

Spoiler: show
(a) five year olds are now allowed to have their very own Pokémon
(b) the hero is tasked with beating up on these five year olds

One of the small children even points this out after losing. Indeed: what sort of 15 year old goes around beating kindergartners at their own games? A douchebag, that's who. Gen5 = the Tale of the Douchebag. ;P
Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #856
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

My justification for playing it right now in Japanese is that A) I can get used to the weird new junk in the games, B) I can have a first-hand idea of how the game works and progresses, C) I can get used to the Pokemon, D) I can work on my general comprehension all while being relatively spoiler-free thanks to being unable to read anything of value.

And yeah, that cap is from Serebii.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #857
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kind of on topic ... Nintendo's legal team flexes its muscles!

Hmm. Apparently, Nintendo of America is having its legal department send C&D letters to all of the major English Pokémon sites. Nintendo is saying, "You're not allowed to have pictures of our stuff on your sites." Which, uh, would sort of dismantle every single Pokémon site out there. Bulbapedia ... Serebii ... Veekun ... Smogon ... every last one of them would need to take down its images, according to the letter, or else face legal action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the letter
We recently learned that you have posted screenshots and other protected content from the Pokémon Black and Pokémon White games to your website at http://pokebeach.com. While Nintendo appreciates your interest in and support of the Pokémon game series, your publication of this content infringes Nintendo’s copyrights in violation of federal law. Your activity also and has the potential to cause substantial damage to Nintendo, and leaves Nintendo with no choice but to take steps to protect its intellectual property rights.

We have accordingly submitted a copyright infringement notice to your domain registrar under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and anticipate that your website will be taken down shortly. We encourage you to immediately remove from your website all graphics, screenshots, and other protected content taken from the Pokémon Black and Pokémon White games. Going forward, you must also refrain from posting any screenshots, videos, or other content that infringes Nintendo’s rights in the Pokémon series or any other game.
Nintendo is always so heavy-handed and melodramatic about their IPs. Going after piracy is one thing, but Nintendo's been known to shut down fan projects like the one time a guy was coding Ocarina of Time for the SNES via the Link to the Past engine. Or like the other time somebody was creating their own Super Mario 4 (in the years before New Super Mario Bros., the first 2D Mario platformer since 1992's Super Mario World -.-;). I mean, come on, guys. This is ridiculous. They can't even have pictures up? Puh-lease. Are you going to say that people can't upload Pokémon Sunday video clips to Youtube either? Ridiculous.

I made it through the forest and into Hiun City. I saved there, and I think I might shelve the game until 2011 and re-evaluate at that time whether I still want to boycott buying the game or not. I still feel like it's graphically inferior to HGSS in presentation. But it's been a fun five hours of gameplay, and I can't say I wouldn't be excited to partake in the 5th Gen metagame. So, shrug.

For now, if I had to score the various aspects ...
Graphics: 8/10 (where HGSS represents a 9/10, and a 10/10 would be an improvement over that)
Music: 7/10 (some songs are great, but most of the stuff is either rehashed music from Gens 1-4 or else is really annoying, e.g. the Team Plasma grunge music that played when I was in the forest -_-; )
Monsters: 8/10 (from what I've seen so far, it's not too bad. A lot of the stupid-looking shit hasn't popped up yet.)
Plot: 9 to 10/10 (this looks like it could be the best one yet, but at only 5 hours in, it's still too early to tell)
Replay Value: ???

Worth buying? Yes if you're not disgruntled like me, and Maybe if you are.

Worth a 40/40? No way. -_-;

Last edited by Talon87; 09-18-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #858
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Kind of on topic ... Nintendo's legal team flexes its muscles!
I wonder how much of that is Nintendo being pissed that most of the big Pokemon websites are probably using ROMs.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of importing one of the games and putting my (awful) Japanese skills to work (since I might actually learn more of the language if I have an actual incentive). $70+ on Play-Asia after shipping, though =|

Fucking yen.

Quote:
For now, if I had to score the various aspects ...
Breaking down the game into arbitrary "this thing is worth X dick points" is pretty much the hallmark of bad games journalism, FYI.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #859
Talon87
時の彼方へ

At this point, anything I would write you would label as "bad games journalism," so sorry for not bothering to ask you for suggestions on how I could improve my post. Sorry you didn't like it or find it helpful.

As for Nintendo, I dunno. I think it's more to do with an inappropriate application of damage control.
I think Nintendo feared allowing the negative reactions which fans in the West had towards the Gen5 creatures to simmer for half a calendar year. Optimism doesn't usually hold out very well, but pessimism becomes all the bitterer with time. Furthermore, the longer you give the pessimism time to steep, the more chances you give for unexposed fans who would otherwise have cheerily bought the games Day 1 to join the pessimistic ranks and say, "Man, Gen5 sucks. Worst gen ever."

Notice what I said, though: that this was inappropriate. Barring a few people like myself, most of the people who have had a chance to play the games have responded very positively towards them. You look back at the UPN posts several days ago, and they're almost entirely "Worst. Gen. EVER!" You look at them from the last 48 hours and I'm the only one nagging in any capacity. Actually having the game on-hand has changed a lot of fans' opinions for the brighter, and I don't think Nintendo's C&D letters had a chance to take that 180° switch in mentality into consideration. They were probably formally prepared earlier this week, based on pre-launch whispers in the wind.

I can't prove it. But that's my suspicion anyway: poorly implemented and at this stage downright inappropriate damage control.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #860
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
As for Nintendo, I dunno. I think it's more to do with an inappropriate application of damage control.
I think Nintendo feared allowing the negative reactions which fans in the West had towards the Gen5 creatures to simmer for half a calendar year. Optimism doesn't usually hold out very well, but pessimism becomes all the bitterer with time. Furthermore, the longer you give the pessimism time to steep, the more chances you give for unexposed fans who would otherwise have cheerily bought the games Day 1 to join the pessimistic ranks and say, "Man, Gen5 sucks. Worst gen ever."

Notice what I said, though: that this was inappropriate. Barring a few people like myself, most of the people who have had a chance to play the games have responded very positively towards them. You look back at the UPN posts several days ago, and they're almost entirely "Worst. Gen. EVER!" You look at them from the last 48 hours and I'm the only one nagging in any capacity. Actually having the game on-hand has changed a lot of fans' opinions for the brighter, and I don't think Nintendo's C&D letters had a chance to take that 180° switch in mentality into consideration. They were probably formally prepared earlier this week, based on pre-launch whispers in the wind.

I can't prove it. But that's my suspicion anyway: poorly implemented and at this stage downright inappropriate damage control.
Tell us your theories about the moon landing.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #861
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

So what are everyone's thoughts on Daruma Mode Hihidaruma?

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #862
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As I understand it, this is how it works:
the regular Hihidaruma has an attack stat of 140 and defenses of 30. When his life total goes under 50%, he switches into his motionless, blue form. He gains the Psychic type, his defenses elevate to 100, and his attack and special attack stats switch, making him a SpAtt powerhouse now instead of an Att one. The effect lasts until [???, but not forever].

If that's the case, then ...
I think it's neat, but with regular Hihidaruma's atrocious defense stats, I wonder how a player could possibly hope to make use of it. Even if you equip a Focus Sash, you're still handsomely sitting somewhere between 1 HP (sashed) and 30 HP. It doesn't bode well for the longevity of the transformed Hihidaruma, even if he's got stellar defenses. Choosing to holding the Sash means he won't be winning any speed races, and so it'll be a 2HKO for him. Choosing not to hold the Sash means that it should be very easy for somebody to OHKO him with a STAB Water, Rock, or Ground attack.

I'm happy they included the mechanic since it shows that they're willing to try new things out. But I think the mechanic debuted on the wrong creature. It needed to debut on somebody who either had decent speed to start with or on somebody who would have gained decent speed as a result of the transformation.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #863
Cyprus
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Cyprus
A friend just told me that Ditto's got a new ability as well. He Transforms as soon as he hits the field, copying stat changes as well. This friend pointed out that a Scarfed Ditto would auto-outspeed everything. My roommate asked if this meant that everyone would use Ditto now, and I answered:
"Yes, I can see it now, a tournament in the top OU tier... tension is high when both Trainers release their final Pokemon... Go, Ditto! Go, Ditto! Both Trainers: @#%$! It would bring new meaning to the 'Struggle' for superiority!"

Thoughts/confirmations of this new ability?
Cyprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #864
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

Talon you're getting it wrong.

The normal Hihidaruma doesn't have the ability to turn into that spirit form.

The blue Hihidaruma has this ability which allows it to do so, it's a different form altogether. They're not linked.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #865
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Okay. Then tell me this: did I get everything else right? If so, it doesn't change anything. If the blue Hihidaruma comes out with a base attack of 140 and defenses of 30, and if he has to reach <50% HP before his defenses buff and his attack stats swap, then everything I've said still applies. I just got the color wrong.

But if the blue form has a special attack stat of 140 and a defense and special defense stat of 100 to start off with, right from the get-go, then my thoughts would be entirely different. I'd think that this Fire/Psychic alternate form was arguably better than the Fire/Ghost chandelier we've all fallen in love with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
A friend just told me that Ditto's got a new ability as well. He Transforms as soon as he hits the field, copying stat changes as well. This friend pointed out that a Scarfed Ditto would auto-outspeed everything.
[...]
Thoughts/confirmations of this new ability?
Copying stat changes is not the same thing as copying stats. ^^; And unfortunately Ditto will still be saddled with its atrocious base stats of straight 48's. This new ability of his is very welcome though. See this thread for my thoughts on how to fix Ditto (circa HGSS). I considered auto-transformation but felt that having to order Ditto to transform would be a fair compromise for his use metagame-wise, given other changes I suggested (including improved stats).

Last edited by Talon87; 09-20-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #866
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

Stats are different for the blue one I believe.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #867
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
A few certain Hihidaruma have access to a second Forme, when they are low on health. In this form, they turn blue and become more like a daruma doll. They also gain Psychic-type as a secondary type, and experience increased special attack stat and lowered attack statistics.
This is exactly what I said originally. But you said this was wrong. What is your source?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #868
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Shinies for anyone who cares.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #869
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Why do those genies have a stance similar to Bowser?

Arms crossed, cocky glare looking up at you, and with silly hairstyles.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #870
Ryuusei
Thunder Badge

I was wrong about Hihidaruma =/

on other note, might wanna retract most thoughts on the starters sucking and choosing Firepig for best attacking stats. Jaroda is the one getting the most hype for competitive battling out of the three, due to Dream World Ability. Leaf Storm gives me +2 SpA after every use? awesome. It's gonna be raping things.

Probably why they didn't give Jaroda a secondary typing that would've suited it (Dragon?), it would've outclassed the other two starters by so much. It's got a niche that can't be filled by other grasses, unlike the Daikenki/Firepig.

Last edited by Ryuusei; 09-25-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #871
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Interesting: though you'll still not want to start the game with the grass starter since, obviously, you'll be stuck with his default ability and stats and such. Dream World stuff is going to mostly be for post-Story Mode affairs.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #872
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
I dunno, Talon.

Level 13 Growth combined with Smugleaf's bulk is quite impressive, and Coil turns Smuglord into a physical monster with Leaf Blade and Slam (the latter of which has its accuracy constraints nixed by Coil) as well as having high speed. Against physical monsters, Coil can make things much easier.

On similar notes, scanning Emboar and Wotter, the fire pig's crap speed is covered by natural Nitro Charge, but it gets fuck all else until level 50 afterwards. Wotter, conversely, appreciates Aqua Jet and Swords Dance, as well as Slash for incredible coverage, and the presence of Boiling Water also turns it into a true tank.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #873
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I skipped Season 2 when I decided to rewatch Pokémon raw in Japanese. The other night, though, I decided on a whim to start it up.

When I got to episode 84 -- the one where Ash & Co. fly aboard a derelict blimp headed for the Orange Islands -- I was surprised to see this little guy peeking at me from the corner of a quick pan shot: a Daruma! I took a screencap and figured I'd crack a joke about Hihidaruma having shown up way back when in Episode 84.

But I had completely forgotten just how prominent a role the Daruma doll ended up playing in the episode. Misty picks it up at one point and you get a really good look at it. It even features as the episode's Who's That Pokemon?! (Before and After)

So I thought I'd share this with you guys since you might find it even more amusing than I did. For more information on Daruma dolls, click here.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #874
Cyprus
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Cyprus
Whoa! Neat find, Talon! Makes me wonder what other little Easter Eggs the Pokemon series has planted since then.
Cyprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #875
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't know that it's so much of an Easter egg as it is a "we had this thing which is a part of our culture in our show, and then 600 episodes later we started thinking it might be cool to turn it into a bonafide Pokemon", but I'm glad you liked the post.

And yes, it would be neat to see what else the show contains. But from what I've watched so far (all of Seasons 1, 3, and 4, and the first bit of 5), I've just seen the same concept again and again and again: "there are 150 251 Pokémon in our world! Maybe more!" Such is the nature of traveling back into the past when half the creature base didn't even exist yet.

Also: it's pretty amazing in retrospect how early Togepi was introduced relative to how late Season 3 was in getting started. It'd be really neat to have them do something like that again. Maybe the Gen5 anime will have a Gen6 creature? Who knows.

Last edited by Talon87; 10-20-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON