UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

New Pokemon game announced

It's due to hit WiiWare for 1500 points in JP on June 16, and it's called Melee! Pokemon Scramble!

From what I gather, you play as a Pokemon of your choice that gets two attacks, and you fight a bunch of other Pokemon/players in a battle royal.

So basically it's the equivalent of a Pokemon mosh pit.

There's also some sort of story mode you can play through, and as you beat Pokemon you unlock them. Boss battles are legendarys, and some of the more rare Pokemon can only be obtained via passwords.

Hmm. Sounds interesting. Maybe this is what GameFreak was talking about when they said they wanted to develop more of a fighting/action game?

On my touch, so I can't post pictures, but the news is up on Serebii.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Vran
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
From what I gather, you play as a Pokemon of your choice that gets two attacks [...] Maybe this is what GameFreak was talking about when they said they wanted to develop more of a fighting/action game?
I should hope not. I haven't seen a two-attack fighter since 1973.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wik...sed_this_month

Here's a better link.

Also appears to have 4 player stadium mode and 2
player co-op.

And the 2 attacks per Pokemon is being reported by Serebii, but not Bulbapedia. I haven't seen Pokebeach yet, so I'm not sure who's right.

Edit: Pokebeach has the best description by far (the link is on Bulbapedia). Basically the Pokemon you play as are Pokemon wind up toys, all battling until one wins.

Concerning moves: You can only use 2 moves at a time, however your Pokemon can know many more, and can learn more powerful ones as they progress, and you choose which attacks you want it to use for each battle.

Sounds like a dumbed down Pokemon smash bros.

Last edited by deoxys; 06-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Vran
Cascade Badge

Wooooooooooooooooooooooow, it looks like a big pile of shit. Here's the page, and as you can see it's going to be using those really crappy models from My Pokemon Ranch. Here's a picture which suggests that the 2-move limit is for real. It's too small for me to read the moves' names, but the elements I can make out: でんき (electricity) and エスパー (ESP) for Pikachu's two moves, double みず (water) for Pocchama, くさ (grass) and something illegibly tiny for Naetoru, and then something too tiny to make out that must be fire and then ノーマル (normal) for Hikozaru. Naetoru's move looked like it said かかつく which made no sense, but I looked at his moves and realized it's supposed to be Bite (かみつく), so I guess that's the dark-type they're showing off there ... with blue instead of gray or black. O_o

Visit the password page to see a really good sample of these ugly models.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

BORKED

To me, it sounded dumb and the pictures sucked, and the concept made me go "meh", but after seeing this video, and for only 15 bucks? I want this game.

Last edited by deoxys; 06-05-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Vran
Cascade Badge

Oh God. D: It's BEYBLADE.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Given it's a Wiiware Game, it doesn't actually look too bad. Certainly not World of Goo calibre, but still fun. And I kind of like the ultra-deformed Ranch models.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vran View Post
Oh God. D: It's BEYBLADE.
But without the spinning tops.

Actually, I suppose this really is a lot like Beyblade, the customization being the icing on the cake >.>;
Old 06-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Wow I would so buy that.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Wow I would so buy that.
=\

What exactly about this game screams "WORTH FIFTEEN BUCKS" to you, especially if Pokemon weren't involved?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
=\

What exactly about this game screams "WORTH FIFTEEN BUCKS" to you, especially if Pokemon weren't involved?
It looks like a 3d Pokemon Dungeon or w/e those are called. Unfortunately, I cannot understand much of "japanese man yelling at me", so maybe I'm expecting it to be something it is not.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
From what I gather so far you can only play online with friends.
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Really? Because everything I've seen suggests the opposite.

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>It looks like a 3d Pokemon Dungeon or w/e those are called. Unfortunately, I cannot understand much of "japanese man yelling at me", so maybe I'm expecting it to be something it is not.

It doesn't look to be as involved as Dungeon (which is saying something since Dungeon is a pretty rudimentary translation of the games). I personally like the depth of Pokemon games and while the spin-offs are often fun, I'm not sure if this is worth 15 bucks.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi
I'm not sure if this is worth 15 bucks.
Really? I mean, I've personally always hoped to see a smash bros.-esque type of Pokemon game. I think the adventure mode looks badass as well, and it seems like it wouldn't be half bad for a price that low. But whatever works, I guess. Kinda weird they're portrayed as wind up toys.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #16
Vran
Cascade Badge

I have no idea what you thought you saw in the video, but a Pokémon version of Super Smash Bros. is most definitely not what was shown. Too little of the adventure mode was shown for you to be suggesting it looked "badass." Tell us, exactly which part of that video looked badass to you? The part where the player uses his Wiimote to pick up and grab the Mii Pikachu? The part where the Wiimote is used to point to 10 different enemies as quickly as possible in what amounts to Whack-a-Mon?

Your reaction to the game, one which to me seems to be excessive in its enthusiasm, reminds me of similar reactions fans had towards Super Smash Bros. Brawl pre-launch. Everyone was making it sound like SSBB was going to be the game of the decade. Instead, the Subspace Emissary remains one of the most ridiculed and despised segments of the game.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #17
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vran View Post
I have no idea what you thought you saw in the video, but a Pokémon version of Super Smash Bros. is most definitely not what was shown. Too little of the adventure mode was shown for you to be suggesting it looked "badass." Tell us, exactly which part of that video looked badass to you? The part where the player uses his Wiimote to pick up and grab the Mii Pikachu? The part where the Wiimote is used to point to 10 different enemies as quickly as possible in what amounts to Whack-a-Mon?

Your reaction to the game, one which to me seems to be excessive in its enthusiasm, reminds me of similar reactions fans had towards Super Smash Bros. Brawl pre-launch. Everyone was making it sound like SSBB was going to be the game of the decade. Instead, the Subspace Emissary remains one of the most ridiculed and despised segments of the game.
Well, it's as close to smash bros. Pokemon as I think I'll ever see, as it's basically a straight up Pokemon fighting game (in a rather tiny way, anyhow). Also, the Wiimote actually isn't used to point at the screen, it's controlled via d-pad on it's side (or is that battle only?) I really liked the adventure scene in the cave where Bulbasaur takes on the Clefairy group with a razor leaf attack. Maybe "badass" was too strong of a word, but the game still comes across as fun to me.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Lady Kuno

That's because SSE is so long and tedius. Especially the last level where they ran out of ideas and just made you do everything again.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
Vran
Cascade Badge

That's not it though! :x If that alone were true, and if you loved SSBB, then what you'd do is select the earlier stages and replay those again and again to your heart's desire while choosing to not play the later missions. But is that what you do? What I do? What he does? No. Nobody plays the Subspace Emissary at all once they beat it, and the only reason they play it in the first place is because so many gamers have that obsessive tendency to want to beat the game, either because (a) they are completists or (b) they want to be in the In group along with all the other gamers who beat the final boss. It all comes back to that: people who are OCD or susceptible to the set of social forces I spoke of will complete SSE, like I did, and people who aren't will put it down after completing the second or third stage and realizing that it's a really weak platformer.

Neither does SSE's unpopularity have anything to do with SSBB being primarily a fighting game! Because even though that's true, if SSE were a strong enough platformer by its own merits then people would prefer to play it instead of playing old classics like Mario 3 or newer platformers like Mario Galaxy. The fact that Timmy and Charlie pop in SMG instead of SSBB when they feel like bursting blocks and stomping on baddies says something for the poor quality of SSE overall, and not simply because it exists in SSBB's shadow.

So the fact is that SSE doesn't suck because, as you put it, "it's so long and tedious" towards the end. It sucks because it's just a really boring platformer. Indeed, if you take a really close look at SSE as a platformer, do you know what it turns out to be? (Surprise surprise, considering who makes the SSB games!) It turns out to be a classic Kirby game. The way you punch away bad guys is like how Kirby spits out temporarily-inhaled bad guys as stars. The way you jump and fly through the stages is like how Kirby does. The red doors in SSE have a lot in common with the doors in Kirby's Dreamland 2 (and subsequent Kirby games). Heck, even the screen where you can pick from up to 5 doors (in the final part of SSE) is just like the Kirby games where you're on the main map of a given world and you walk up to a door and press A if you want to play that stage.

So fundamentally, any complaints about SSE aren't so much about "this game had a shitty ending," even though that's what we fans always talk about since it's the most easy-to-spot problem with the game. Fundamentally, the real problem we have with SSE is that it's a fantastic Kirby game but most teens and adults don't like any Kirby games except for the ones they grew up. Nostalgia preserves the fun of the older ones for people like us, but give us a new Kirby and we're bored to tears by how linear and easy the gameplay is.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

I'm eagerly awaiting the next Kirby. I heard it's coming out the week after Duke Nukem Forever.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
Lady Kuno

I didn't care about the ending in regards to the story, but having to redo everything again is just gimmicky because they ran out of ideas. I liked the rest of the game, was kind of fun. Just not the end.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
The only purpose I've ever found in a SSB game is the bragging rights from kicking your friends ass repeatedly. If I could be bothered to work out what $15 was in a real currency, I could comment on whether it seems worth it or not.

EDIT the first: Apparently it's about a tenner. I could see forking out a tenner for that, if it looks good when we get more info.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
iAmDewgong
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to iAmDewgong
God, sounds boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosuser
Metagroß: Male Beldum
Metagroß is a totally metal dude. One day, Kuno's voice boomed out, "YOUR STRUGGLE TOTALLY MAKES YOU METAL." This benediction fueled Metagroß' determination to keep struggling to the very end. In his neverending struggle to fulfill his destiny, Metagroß sought out Morg for enlightenment. Morg looked with respect upon Metagroß' tireless struggle and permitted him to train alongside his Magikarp. Now, Metagroß has learned not to be mastered by its struggle, but to be the master of its Struggle.
iAmDewgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Pokewalk

Legitimate supplement or ploy to get us off our lazy asses?

You decide.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
>Pokewalk

Legitimate supplement or ploy to get us off our lazy asses?

You decide.
Actually seems pretty cool.
Your own portable daycare
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON