Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #726
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I don't think I shared this, but at any rate, I will now. One of the most heartbreaking pieces of fanart I've ever seen for anything ever... I first saw this 3 months ago, and I won't lie when someone may have been cutting onions near me (YES I KNOW IT'S FUCKING MY LITTLE PONY FANART)

Spoiler: show
Pinkie is still alive in the background!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #727
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Pinkie is still alive in the background!
This is correct. However, she is Pinkie Pie and could probably create a time machine should she want to.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #728
deoxys
Fog Badge

BORKED

Yes, that's Tara Strong.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #729
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
BORKED

Yes, that's Tara Strong.
Watched it, loaded up HD version, and watched it again.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #730
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Happy Valentines Day!

I have watched 6-10 of season 2.

10th eppy was my absolute fav

Spike/Rarity 4EVA
Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #731
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Finally seen Hearts and Hooves day!

That whole thing was awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

...Well, mostly. :p
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #732
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Finally seen Hearts and Hooves day!

That whole thing was awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Eeeeyup!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #733
deoxys
Fog Badge

So I was rewatching Friendship is Witchcraft when I came across this gem:

Quote:
Applejack (to Fluttershy): Hey, don't worry! All of us have some depth to our characters!
Rainbow: I don't!
Applejack:... Almost all of us have some depth to our characters...
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #734
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

...Are you kidding me? She pretty much has the MOST depth to her character. D:
Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #735
deoxys
Fog Badge

What show are you watching?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #736
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I will not insult her, as I know Kairne is a fan of Dash, but Dash simply alternates from insecure to wildly arrogant. We're not talking deep waters here.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #737
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Really? An insecure person can't be arrogant? Hell, that's one of the signs that someone's insecure, that she's arrogant. Here, let me do a write-up...

Rainbow Dash is the element of Loyalty. She can be arrogant at times, but look underneath and you'll find that she's quite insecure. She's highly competitive, and is one of, if not the, fastest pegasi in the world, having done a Sonic Rainboom thrice so far. Within all this, though, she's incredibly loyal, she'll turn her back on joining the "Shadowbolts" for her friends and challenge bullies to a race for Fluttershy. She seems to be special friends with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie- ponies of completely different nature.

I probably left out a crapton. But yeah, arrogant =/= not insecure.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #738
deoxys
Fog Badge

For argument's sake, I went to read the individual writers for each episode and found two interesting things:

1. M.A. Larson is the best writer hands down. All of the greatest episodes are by her/him.

2. Dashie's worst performance was in Mare Do-Well, the episode that caused many flame wars, not just because it exaggerated horribly her usual character quirks, but because it made the mane 6 all a bunch of bitches. The moral was basically "Is your friend being a bitch? Then put her in her place by out-bitching her!". That being said, it was written by Merriwether Williams, a newcomer to the show. So it could be argued the writer fucked up her character.

And rangeet your argument is flawed but it'll have to wait my phones about to die. Basically muyo wasn't saying arrogance and insecurity aren't one in the same nor was he saying they are, but that they are the only two traits Dashie exhibits, besides her rad spunkyness might I add, and both are in the form of extremities. Neither are deep... yet.

edit: FUCKING autocorrect

OR MAYBE WE'RE JUST OVER ANALYZING A CHILDREN'S SHOW

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 02-16-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #739
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Im all caught up now!

the newest was epic

best part:
BORKED

cant wait for more!

Last edited by RaichuRocks; 02-16-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Fixed youtube tag
RaichuRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #740
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
I will not insult her, as I know Kairne is a fan of Dash, but Dash simply alternates from insecure to wildly arrogant. We're not talking deep waters here.
i haven't seen season 2, so i may be wildly inaccurate

but seeing how she always puts on a brave front, isn't showing her insecurities/weaknesses a big part of showing deeper her personality?, like what makes her tick and whatnot.

not saying shes the deepest character, but i'm not a big fan of the total dismissal.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #741
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Haven't seen Season 2 yet either, so I can't really weigh in that well myself, but ... coming at it from a Season 1 Only perspective, at the very least, I would have to say that none of these characters are all that deep. To be honest, the depth/shallowness that they exhibit is fairly typical for characters in a children's cartoon. If you want deep characters in a children's cartoon, go and watch Avatar: the Last Airbender. (Zuko, Iroh, and Roku come to mind.) To me, I'd say that the characters here are about as deep as the ones you get from Pokemon or Samurai Pizza Cats. Sure, they have personalities, but their personalities are largely determined by the tropey things that they do. Be fans as much as you like, go crazy with it, but don't kid yourselves saying, "Man, some of these characters are so shallow but some of the others are so deep! " It's kinda insulting to actually deep characters in other stories. Or rather, it's insulting to the other writers who penned those other stories. MLP:FiM is fun, yes, but deep it is not. If you think it is, not saying this to be insulting but, you've got the literary exposure of a tangerine. You need to go out and read more books and/or see more television and/or watch more films and/or play more narrative-driven video games. If we're going to sit here and say, "Rainbow Dash is not a deep character but [this other pony] is," then what the hell does that make FF7's Cloud? The Marianas Trench of character development? What does it make television characters like Dexter or House? What does it make Yuri Zhivago or T.E. Lawrence? That's all I'm trying to say: that if you want to tell Rainbow Dash fans, "Sorry, guys, but your favorite pony is about as deep as a puddle on the sidewalk," that's fine: but don't say it as though their pick is the only one who's shallow while your pick knows no bounds she's so goddamn deep.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #742
GrJackass
Night Man

didn't read post yet, just want to point out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Haven't seen Season 2 yet either, so I can't really weigh in that well myself, but ...
Followed by

Quote:
coming at it from a Season 1 Only perspective, at the very least, I would have to say that none of these characters are all that deep. To be honest, the depth/shallowness that they exhibit is fairly typical for characters in a children's cartoon. If you want deep characters in a children's cartoon, go and watch Avatar: the Last Airbender. (Zuko, Iroh, and Roku come to mind.) To me, I'd say that the characters here are about as deep as the ones you get from Pokemon or Samurai Pizza Cats. Sure, they have personalities, but their personalities are largely determined by the tropey things that they do. Be fans as much as you like, go crazy with it, but don't kid yourselves saying, "Man, some of these characters are so shallow but some of the others are so deep! " It's kinda insulting to actually deep characters in other stories. Or rather, it's insulting to the other writers who penned those other stories. MLP:FiM is fun, yes, but deep it is not. If you think it is, not saying this to be insulting but, you've got the literary exposure of a tangerine. You need to go out and read more books and/or see more television and/or watch more films and/or play more narrative-driven video games. If we're going to sit here and say, "Rainbow Dash is not a deep character but [this other pony] is," then what the hell does that make FF7's Cloud? The Marianas Trench of character development? What does it make television characters like Dexter or House? What does it make Yuri Zhivago or T.E. Lawrence? That's all I'm trying to say: that if you want to tell Rainbow Dash fans, "Sorry, guys, but your favorite pony is about as deep as a puddle on the sidewalk," that's fine: but don't say it as though their pick is the only one who's shallow while your pick knows no bounds she's so goddamn deep.
... you must go through keyboards monthly

edit: agreed, avatar: the last airbender is surprisingly one of the better shows in quite a while. its pretty much a well made epic, and i cant wait for the new show to pop up

if you didnt know about the avatar sequel, it takes place 100 years later, main character is a female of the waterbending tribe

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”

Last edited by GrJackass; 02-16-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #743
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>what the hell does that make FF7's Cloud?

He was a douche.

Sorry, that's not fair. He was a whiny douche.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #744
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Hey, I watched Mare-Do Well.

Mass out of character moments by every one of the mane six excepting Pinkie and maybe Rarity, and yes, Dashie is a bit of a bitch, but so are a few others. I don't see why people use it as such evidence that Dash is such a horrible bitch, though. For one, it's not entirely her blame, because of the pedestal she was put on. It has a million cliche moments, and what little Fluttershy did really made me frown, because she's not that proud and arrogant. Twilight is usually not that obvious about it, the only reason Dash didn't realize is probably only due to the cliche storm and how she was preoccupied on getting back on top. Applejack was being extremely secretive and in some ways backstabbing to Dash. So part of it was definitely bad writing.

That isn't to say, of course, Dash is entirely innocent. I doubt anyone here is about to make that claim for any of the mane six (except Fluttershy most of the time, and Pinkie, being so wrapped up in her own lovable insanity she is often rather oblivious in the most hilarious of ways). But her prideful position was not to blame for her alone, since she was being put on a pedestal by Scoots and the rest of the club, as well as the first few victims she saved.

I'm just saying, not everything she does is entirely only her to blame. Yeah, she's a punk, and she's got attitude. But that's what I love about her. She's a tomboy, in some ways more than AJ, and she speaks long before she thinks. Everypony has flaws, some of hers are just more present. That does not mean she has no redeeming qualities. Generally speaking, she tends to be rather loyal, and she has a very soft side of her sometimes. That's part of why I like her.

EDIT: Re: avatar: that was one show that was done very well, except until the cheap ending.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Last edited by Slash; 02-16-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #745
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post

EDIT: Re: avatar: that was one show that was done very well, except until the cheap ending.
like a lot of epics, its about the journey not the destination. so many shows/stories have befallen to bad endings

Old 02-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #746
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'd comment on RD, but I like Rarity, so I really can't say anything about being a bitch.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #747
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
The ending of Avatar wasn't cheap IMO, I thought it was cool that he was able to
Stop Ozai without killing him

Sure, deux ex machina etc, but at least the ending was satisfying and Aang was able to not be a brute.

To stay on topic, although this has changed in recent episodes, Twilight came off as a bitchy to me. Dunno if anyone else feels this way.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #748
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
The ending of Avatar wasn't cheap IMO, I thought it was cool that he was able to
Stop Ozai without killing him

Sure, deux ex machina etc, but at least the ending was satisfying and Aang was able to not be a brute.

To stay on topic, although this has changed in recent episodes, Twilight came off as a bitchy to me. Dunno if anyone else feels this way.
i really didn't like how the firebending princess ( i forgot all the names)
just kinda gave up after like 2 seconds of confrontation.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #749
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Would love to discuss it ... in a different thread.

No, Twilight has never come across as bitchy to me. She just doesn't tolerate people's bullshit or goody-goodiness, particularly when she first moves in to town. She's like the Real World Person, with a real world head on her shoulders, who is suddenly dropped into "LA LAAAAAA LA LA LA LAAAAAA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAAAAAAA [/Smurf song]" Land where everybody is so touchy-feely goody-goody and she's like, "Ugh, gag me. >_<" Which is awesome.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #750
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
and she's like, "Ugh, gag me. >_<" Which is awesome.
phrasing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment