UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

UPN SaiWaifu 2013

"Mai Waifu is an otaku phrase literally meaning 'My Wife'. A 'waifu' is an anime character that a fan feels a special attachment to and 'claims' her as his/her own." - Encyclopedia Dramatica

In early 2012, bbb, Doppel, and I started joking about "waifus" and the people who lay claim to them in seriousness. This tied into a Valentine's Day event we were planning on doing that year where we would pick a character who was "our waifu," put her on our computer screen, and then do stuff like try to feed her food, put a blanket on her to keep her warm, etc, and take a photograph of it and post it to UPN. Well, the project fell through, but rising out of its ashes was me using the term jokingly a heck of a lot more frequently than I'd ever done before. I referred to characters I liked as "mai waifu," notably Irisviel von Einzbern from Fate/Zero, and just in general would talk about the various "waifus" I saw in the season's offerings. Others followed suit, and by the end of the year, we had girls laying dibs to Chuunibyou's Nibutani Shinka, deoxys saying "Back, I say! " over Sakurasou's Shiina Mashiro, and Mcsweeney returning to raise his glass in a toast to the gloriousness that is Minami Haruka. 2012 saw many great characters and among them many excellent waifus, women of whom any man would be proud to say "This is my wife. "

And so we held a tournament: UPN's first annual SaiWaifu. Thirty entrees were received in the month of January 2013. And then ten months later , I went ahead and put together a single elimination bracket of thirty-two men, women, girls, polar bears, and Yuuta's little sister. And we voted!

In the end, only one could be crowned SaiWaifu. And the winner was the impeccable Irisviel von Einzbern from Fate/Zero. The event was much enjoyed, and everyone was looking forward to SaiWaifu 2013. ... And then I dropped the ball and failed to post the thread for a year and a half. orz

But like they say, "better late than never!" For here I am, ready to bring you the greatest tournament UPN has known in years! Greater than the Grand Melee! Greater than the PVG tournaments! For this is ...

SAIIIIIIIIIIIIWAIFUUUUUUUUUUU!

Rules - Nominations:
1. Reply to this thread with your nominations. Edit your post to make changes as you see fit. Once I close nominations, I'll let you know. Any further edits won't be registered.

2. You may nominate as many characters as you like up to twenty (20). That is not an invitation to nominate that many. @_@ I'm just saying you can if you absolutely must.

3. You may nominate joke characters. This includes animals, robots, whomever. (Except men. See Rule No.4.) Again, this is not an invitation to nominate a whole bunch of joke characters, but if that's what you want to do, then go for it! It won't be penalized in any way unless you end up doing something outrageous like submitting 15+ joke characters, in which case I may not count the ballot at all. (And only because it's more work for me. Otherwise I really wouldn't mind.) Actually, I don't see how this would make more work for me. ^^; Maybe I just need to lower the limit from 20 to 10 or something. But anyway, yeah, joke characters are cool. Don't be afraid!

4. Because of the popularity of nominating male joke characters last time -- both in jest and in seriousness -- and because of our burgeoning population of anime viewers who would enjoy what I'm about to say just as much as a SaiWaifu, maybe even more ... I'm pleased to announce that we will be bringing you SaiHazubando in the near future. So please: no male nominations in SaiWaifu this time. You can still nominate male characters who identify as female or who are commonly mistaken for female if you like -- the idea should be loud and clear that you and/or characters in that universe think of him as their waifu even though he's biologically male -- but keep the nominations of most male characters restricted to SaiHazubando for now. This ensures the best of both worlds -- that a hazubando doesn't have to automatically lose out to a waifu nor that a waifu need automatically lose out to a hazubando.

5. The character(s) you nominate MUST have been in a television anime episode that aired, a direct-to-DVD OAV anime episode that went on sale, or a film that was shown in theaters in Japan between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013, inclusive!

6. You may nominate characters who have already been nominated by other members. I don't mind. They're your nominees.

7. You may nominate characters who have been previously nominated for a SaiWaifu.

8. You may nominate characters who have previously won a SaiWaifu.

Rules - Casting a Ballot:
1. At the start of the tournament, I will provide a randomized single-elimination bracket. Each round, I will also provide the current list of 1v1 match-ups for that round. You will decide the winner of each of these 1v1 match-ups yourself, advancing the winner of each battle to the next round. For example, if in a given round the match-ups were:
1. Minami Haruka (Minami-ke) vs. Suigintou (Rozen Maiden)
2. Shiina Mashiro (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo) vs. Serena (Pokémon XY)
3. Ohno Kanako (Genshiken) vs. Yuuki Asuna (Sword Art Online)
4. Illyasviel von Einzbern (Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya) vs. Miyu Edelfelt (Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya)
You would be expected to provide four names in total, one name for each of the four 1v1 match-ups listed. For example:
1. Haruka
2. Shiina
3. Ohno
4. Miyu
This is a friendly, casual tournament. I'm not going to be anal retentive on the spelling of names submitted. Just be clear, please. If you try to be a smartass with your ballot, then sure, you can expect me to toss your ballot out.

2. Submit your completed ballot for each round by posting in the thread. In SaiWaifu 2012 we took a laid back approach to things and did not worry ourselves over the possibility of reactionary voting, i.e. people voting in response to how people before them voted. We can change this if you like and switch over to mandatory private ballots cast by PM; but for now, I think it makes for a more fun community experience when I allow each of you to vote in public with a post filled with your own text and imagery if you so choose.

3. At the end of each round, I will announce the results. If we're sticking with public voting, this is more a formality than anything else.

4. Rounds will last between 24 and 48 hours, depending.

Unlike the usual "Sai" tournaments (Saimoe, SaiGAR, etc.), SaiWaifu is not a competitive tournament in the sense of pitting your desires against somebody else's. Everyone's waifu can come out on top in his or her own ballot. This is just for people to have fun, and is pretty much a mock tournament: much like our mock use of "mai waifu" in the forum.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The following is a list of everyone's nomination posts, arranged in alphabetical order by username:

big bad birtha
Deebs
Emi
KamenAeons
Lanturn
Marion Ette
Sparkbeat
Talon87

Last edited by Talon87; 06-12-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The posts above are currently in beta. This thread is currently open for discussion pertaining to the rules for SaiWaifu 2013. Suggested topics for your consideration include:
  • number of nominees allowed per member
  • private ballots vs. public ballots
  • single elimination format (the traditional SaiMoe format) vs. other tournament formats
  • duration of rounds
  • whether past nominees should be allowed back in or not
  • whether past winners should be allowed back in or not
Two topics that stand out that I'd rather we not focus too much discussion on right now are:
  • whether SaiWaifu 2013 and 2014 should be merged or kept separate. (I'm pretty adamant about keeping them separate.)
  • whether SaiHazubando should be its own separate thing or whether the hazubandos should be kept in SaiWaifu. (I'm pretty adamant about making SaiHazubando its own separate thing. Mostly out of consideration for hazubando fans. SaiWaifu 2012 already proved that mai waifus have nothing to fear from even the most popular of hazubandos.)
Feel free to bring up any relevant topics for discussion you like though, including the two soft-blacklisted ones if you're particularly passionate about them one way or another.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Nominations:
Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)
Junko Enoshima (Dangan Ronpa)
Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
Cthugha (Nyaruko)

Discussion Points:
I'm actually fine with most things that are already in place, to be honest, but the only thing I would ask to be changed is that ballots be made private. Public ballots are easier on you, so I can understand wanting to them that way, but it also creates pressure because people typically tend to vote for what the majority does rather than what they actually want. I typically care little about that, but you don't want people to think their votes are useless as they see the majority. I just want everyone to be able to voice their own opinion without any pressure, that's all.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Going to answer some questions I'm already getting via Skype ...

Q. Where's the 2014 thread? / How come this is only for 2013?
A. The 2014 thread is coming soon. Actually, that's another matter up for debate: we can either run the two tournaments concurrently if you think that'd be better or else we can run SaiWaifu 2013 first, have fun with it, and then run SaiWaifu 2014 second and have fun with that too. I'm of the opinion that that second course of action would be best. Any missteps I take with SaiWaifu 2013 can be ironed out in time for SaiWaifu 2014 to provide the community with the best possible SaiWaifu. That's not the case if we run the two simultaneously.

As for why they're going to be in separate threads, well that's an easy one: because duh! There's going to be a winner crowned for 2013 and there's going to be a separate winner (possibly the same person, possibly different, who knows) crowned for 2014. True to SaiMoe fashion, a winner with each calendar year. Just because I'm tardy doesn't mean we have to merge 2013 and 2014 into one! And besides: that'd be no fun for you guys either. I'd have to place a cap on nominees and it'd mean you couldn't nominate nearly as many awesome entrants as you could if I had split 2013 and 2014 up.

Q. Can we nominate characters now?
A. Absolutely! The reason I made the reserved post above was specifically because I anticipated that nomination posts might get mixed up in a sea of discussion posts, unlike in the 2012 thread. Feel free to nominate before or after discussion. Feel free to discuss or to not discuss.

Q. Can we nominate male characters after all? >.>
A. I mean, if that's what people want, then sure. I was just trying to be nice to hazubando fans since I think that waifus will win unless hazubando fans band together to quote unquote "troll the outcome," and if said trolling does indeed take place well then it'd frankly make the event no longer fun for me or for other waifu fans who wanted to have fun watching their waifus clash swords in a contest for the coveted prize of SaiWaifu. But like ... yeah. I have no objection to running this tournament 2012-style on the matter of gender segregation (or lack thereof) if that's what you all want. Discuss!

Q. What about male robots, like Chamber and Monobear?
A. Per my current wording, they would be allowed. I really don't want to have to play rules lawyer on this one though. ^^; This is supposed to be a for-fun tournament, not a serious-business contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Discussion Points:
I'm actually fine with most things that are already in place, to be honest, but the only thing I would ask to be changed is that ballots be made private. Public ballots are easier on you, so I can understand wanting to them that way, but it also creates pressure because people typically tend to vote for what the majority does rather than what they actually want. I typically care little about that, but you don't want people to think their votes are useless as they see the majority. I just want everyone to be able to voice their own opinion without any pressure, that's all.
I would suggest you take a look at the 2012 thread if you haven't already. Not the first page: skip ahead to like Page 2 or Page 3, where we're actually voting. People had fun with the public voting. Only one person bothered to PM me their ballot in Round 1, and from then on everyone stuck with public. It allowed them to share with each other (and for all posterity) their justifications for why they voted the way that they did, as well as any cute or silly images they wanted to share. It's not a black and white issue of "Public votes dumb, private votes master race." If it were, I'd have switched us over to private in a heartbeat, trust me. (It's actually how I had the rough draft for the rules this year written up! And then I myself took a look back over the 2012 thread and was reminded just how fun it was for the voters when we had a casual, laid back attitude about everything.)

But if you've seen the 2012 voting and you still feel like the benefits don't outweigh the costs, then sure, point noted! And if others agree, then I'm fine with amending the rules on public vs. private voting.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'll have to whip out some old anime charts to remember characters from 2013. I know there's two I had in mind when you first announced Saimoe 2013, and I still remember them at the very least. Sadly one stopped appearing in the show she was in before 2013, so I only have one nominee.

Totsuka Saika: Yahari Ore no Seishun Lovecome wa Machigatteiru
The loveliest character in I'm A Frog. I still hope Hachiman ends up with him!

Hishikawa Rikka: Dokidoki Precure
The best part of this show after the sudden quality drop was just how lovely she is. Sadly that was only 2 episodes out of like 30.

Undine: Yondemasuyo Azazel-san Z
Now who says mermaids can't be sexy? Doesn't she just look delicious?!

Grande Rosso: Galilei Donna
A goldfish is fine too!

I'll regurgitate more nominees when I come up with them.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 06-14-2015 at 01:23 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Okay, I'll bite.

Sakura Oogami (Dangan Ronpa)
I came into DR assuming that Celes would be my favorite, but Sakura really grew on me as a character. If she and Celes go head to head, I may have a waifu crisis.

Menowarawa (The Tale of Princess Kaguya)
My absolute favorite character in The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Every expression she makes is totally adorable, and though she doesn't really speak in the movie, her actions are loud and clear.

Sasha Blouse (Attack on Titan)
It isn't UPN SaiWaifu 2013 without Potato Girl. That would just be wrong.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So I'm working on my ballot but I keep encountering problems because of the uncertainty regarding a Waifu/Hazubando split. No one's really spoken up saying they approve of or disapprove of the split, and likewise no one's really spoken up saying they liked or disliked the previous way. Just total silence on the matter so far. If that's because it doesn't much matter to people, then okay, I will probably go ahead and post SaiHazubando soon and I'll navigate a lot of my hazubando nominees to that thread instead. But if people are being quiet just because they're afraid of arguing, well, it shouldn't have to be an argument rather than a discussion. ¬_¬

I guess while I'm posting here, I'll also go ahead and share this, a paragraph which was originally going to open my ballot post:

Quote:
Last year time I waited until last to make my nominations as I worried that, if I were to go first, I would "steal" some of the best nominations / some of your guys' top favorites. I wanted to let everyone else get a chance to go first before me, and I think it worked okay. This year/time, I'm going to try something different: I'll go ahead and be amongst the ice breakers with nominations. The thinking this go around is, if I go ahead and "use up" my own twenty or so slots of nominations, it will free the rest of you up to use your precious slots on rarer nominees. You won't have to worry about a personal favorite not getting nominated if you can see that I've already gone ahead and nominated him/her. And so with that stated ... my nominees!
What are your guys' thoughts on this? Would you rather I post early so that it means your slots are applicable to a greater number of niche candidates once you see that I already went ahead and nominated some or all of your popular favorites? Or would you rather I do what I did in 2012 and allow everyone else to post first so that they can enjoy the satisfaction of having "dibs"'d the girl(s) they nominated?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Believe me when I tell you that I have no fear of arguments. Honestly, I haven't weighed in on the hazubando topic because I don't really have a strong opinion either way.

As for whether or not you should weigh in first... Doesn't rule 6 say you can re-nominate waifus that other members have put forward already? Given that, I imagine that if you were to nominate a character that someone else really wanted to put forth, they could just re-nominate with their own little photo and blurb or whatever... So "claims" can be shared in a sense. I'd say you should go ahead and post your list.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #10
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Hiradaira Chisaki - Nagi no Asukara

Mukaido Manaka - Nagi no Asukara

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Predictable? Predictable.

Haruka Nanase (Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club)

Makoto Tachibana (Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club)

Rei Ryūgazaki (Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club)

Rin Matsuoka (Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club)

Nagisa's not my type. ;o

Last edited by Deebs; 06-09-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kinda becomes a Point of No Return issue at this point since I either have to toss out every single person Deebs just nominated :\ (they're all clearly males who identify as male and are perceived as male by both fans and in-universe characters) or else I accept them but kill the idea of hosting a separate SaiHazubando this year.

I'm okay with either course of action. We had plenty of great hazubando submissions in SaiWaifu 2012, several of whom made it past the first two rounds IIRC. I just figured, given what happened in 2012, that the community would be happier to have the men being given a chance to win that isn't stymied by the girls and vice versa.

Ehh ... I guess I will put my foot down temporarily, just to get the ball rolling for discussion, and say I'm sticking to the idea of no males who identify as male -AND- who are perceived as male for this thread. So like ... men who are perceived as women, fine. Men who identify as female, fine. Men who identify as male and are perceived as male, not fine. Speak now against this position or hold your peace until SaiWaifu 2014.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Well these four dudes will steamroll just about every little "waifu" no problem so I'm all about integration.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #14
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

This isn't a sport where you need separate designations for men and women to ensure a level playing field- this is democracy!

Equal representation for huzbandos!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I guess if we're splitting the threads by year already, we don't need to break down the categories any further until there are an abundance of submissions. Otherwise, we might as well make a separate one for the animals too... and call it Sai-Duck.

Besides, man votes don't necessarily have to be a joke category. I mean you could be a straight dude and think: this character would objectively make a good husband.

Whatever the split, why not create a supreme champion thread at the very end, after all the yearly threads are done, that will pit all the sub-threads' victors against each other. In that event, all the waifus and husbandos and mofus get an equal shot at claiming the title.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I didn't know it was up for debate. You said Saihusbando was coming, so I was trying to think of memorable male characters for that. I'm fine with the idea of ruling the males out. I mean, sure, I nominated a male too, but he's clearly a trap, and with a female name on top of that. If it wasn't for that dong, I would pick him over any of the girls in the show.

I wanted to nominate a "genderless" Pokemon too, but dates disagree. Though maybe I could look to see if she makes a short cameo in the last few episodes of Best Wishes S2.

Still looking for candidates. Holy hell 2013 was a crappy year.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Early indications are that you guys would like to keep things all in one ring. I'll give it 96 hours for discussion, but in the meantime, go ahead and cast ballots under the assumption that 100% of non-female characters are okay. We can always address the issue later if, after 96 hours of discussion, we've decided to pursue separate Waifu and Hazubando tourneys.

Rest assured: I'm not happy with any outcome that would turn away the Free! guys categorically. As in, they either have to find a home in SaiWaifu or in a SaiHazubando. Somewhere they have to be given a home. They were, without a doubt, amongst the most popular crush characters of 2013. It's just a matter of deciding whether they'll be swimming against Potato Girl and Mikasa or whether they'll be separated into a pool with fellow men only.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'd actually prefer separation. I really don't want to run into the outcome of where I won't vote because two Free! characters came up and I have absolutely no preference for either of them, and likewise if its Free! vs girl I'll always vote for the girl, its just how I am. I have very little attraction towards men (and if you are my waifu, I should be attracted to you!). I just know at the end of the day, if a round comes down to guy I don't know vs guy I don't know, I'm going to be extremely put off and probably not cast a ballot. I'd much rather avoid that (and I'm sure there are people who think the opposite).
Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I'd actually prefer separation. I really don't want to run into the outcome of where I won't vote because two Free! characters came up and I have absolutely no preference for either of them, and likewise if its Free! vs girl I'll always vote for the girl, its just how I am. I have very little attraction towards men (and if you are my waifu, I should be attracted to you!). I just know at the end of the day, if a round comes down to guy I don't know vs guy I don't know, I'm going to be extremely put off and probably not cast a ballot. I'd much rather avoid that (and I'm sure there are people who think the opposite).
See, this view -- held by members of both our straight and gay communities -- is exactly what I took into consideration after the last time around. I felt like a lot of voters were disappointed that male characters "inevitably" lost to more popular female characters, as the voting bloc in 2012 was clearly straight-leaning. Well, whether 2013 is straight-leaning or homo-leaning, either way I would think it'd make for unhappy campers if the losing bloc felt like "this is stupid " because they're guaranteed to always lose to the more dominant bloc. It's one reason why I don't buy Muyo's coy line about how:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
This isn't a sport where you need separate designations for men and women to ensure a level playing field- this is democracy!
You use the "D" word and it automatically makes the other side look like Hitler. [/godwin] But the fact of the matter is, male-female segregation in pro sports is precisely what I had in mind when considering the complaints with SaiWaifu 2012 and how I might go about fixing that for SaiWaifu 2013! Because it's not a democracy, it's not a "level playing field" to have men and women both in the same pool of candidates. Not when the voter base is, per the nature of the tournament, split down party sexuality lines and you have individuals attracted to women voting as one bloc and individuals attracted to men voting as a different bloc.

Thing is, all of what I've just written can be construed as a case of taking things too seriously -- which is something else I've considered all along, from 2013 on through to last night when I posted the thread. When I saw the early replies tonight were mostly people saying they wanted the men and women to be grouped together, I wondered if maybe I had been taking things too seriously and if none of you were inconvenienced either way. But now that Emi's responded as he has, and given that bbb had also spoken up saying he expected a separate Hazubando event (given my announcement), I feel like the discussion's back on.

Doesn't change what I wrote earlier. For now, keep on submitting men here if you like. We can deal with it in a little under 96 hours if it comes to that. But yeah ... Emi's views echo sentiments I heard in 2012 and was concerned would be an issue again in 2013 were I to just lump all the men in with the women again.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #20
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

It's a thread about waifus. You can't take it too seriously.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Morg View Post
It's a thread about waifus. You can't take it too seriously.
Waifus are srs bizness.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #22
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

But Emi do you SEE those PECS and ABS in Deeb's gifs? I'm comfortably straight and it makes even me kinda steamy. Though it could just be the fact I swim and gdi I wish my body were that fine.

Bleh haven't watched much from 2013, but I can nominate four from the few things I've watched all the way though Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Suzuno Kamazuki - Hataraku Maō-sama!

Tamao Kurei - Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W

Sucy Manbavaran - Little Witch Academia

And the greatest waifu of all:

Cyclone Vacuum - Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W
Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #23
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think we should probably host two separate or concurrent contests for waifu/huzubando, personally.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #24
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Turns out some things I watched in 2014 are actually from 2013.

Patema - Sakasama no Patema (Patema Inverted)

Kazakiri Hyouka - To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

Noire - Choujigen Game Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia)

bang bang bangity bang
Spoiler: show

Tokisaki Kurumi - Date A Live

I'd throw in more but I think this is enough.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.

Last edited by KamenAeons; 06-10-2015 at 03:15 AM.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

2013 was an amazing year for waifus. Most of the heavyweights from 2012 make return appearances in one form or another, but they are joined by an even greater number of newcomer heavyweights. When I stipulated that 20 was the maximum number of nominees you could make in SaiWaifu 2012, I was worried that people would take advantage of that generously high cap and list off a bunch of BS entrees. No one did. And while I myself was amongst those with the highest number of nominees, even I only ended up nominating six characters. But this time? I've found the limit of 20 to be rather confining. That's how good I think SaiWaifu 2013 will be! So without further ado, my 20 nominees for this year's SaiWaifu!

Minami Haruka (Minami-ke Tadaima)

Minami Haruka is my personal favorite in this year's SaiWaifu. Starring alongside her sisters in Winter 2013's Minami-ke Tadaima, the fourth season of the popular Minami-ke series, Haruka is the closest thing I have to a bonafide waifu. She did pretty well for herself in SaiWaifu 2012. Let's see if she can't manage another Top 8 showing in 2013!

Honorable Minami-ke mentions: Hitomi, Hosaka

Irisviel von Einzbern (Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya)

The returning champion! Irisviel was crowned the winner of SaiWaifu 2012 and returns now for the most exciting installment yet in the SaiWaifu series! Courtesy of her appearance as a supporting character in the spin-off series Prisma Ilya, this heavyweight is eligible for nomination in this year's tournament. Will the crowd vote her as the most waifu of all waifus once again? Or will she be dethroned by one of this year's numerous excellent challengers? You decide!

Miyu Edelfelt (Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya)

What can I say: Miyu is awesome. So awesome, in fact, that I was unable to locate a good animated gif of her that wasn't spoilerific in some way. (Click the picture above for a .webm though!) Miyu is the mysterious antagonally in the delightful FSN spinoff Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya. She's quiet, serious, hardworking, and determined. And did I mention she's cute as a button? Is SaiWaifu 2013 a Class card that Miyu will be able to collect? Or will it escape her grasp?

Saaya (Suisei no Gargantia)

This girl is the posterchild of the marshmallow joshi craze. Hoooooooolyyyyyyyy shit. (Obligatory.)

Honorable Suisei no Gargantia mentions: Chamber

Hato Kenjirou (Genshiken Nidaime)

Possibly the greatest trap in the history of traps, Hato Kenjirou will make you ship a yaoi pairing harder than you have ever shipped a pairing before. He is the perfect woman in so many respects, an absolute heart stealer. The greatest obstacle in Hato's path towards the SaiWaifu crown will likely be the majority of voters' unfamiliarity with Genshiken Nidaime.

Honorable Genshiken Nidaime mentions: Kasukabe Saki, Ohno Kanako

Suigintou (Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen)

Suigintou is one of my favorite characters in all of anime. She is just so wonderful! I can't really explain why without going deep into spoiler territory, but fans will know what I'm talking about. How far can this defective doll make it in what promises to be one of the toughest SaiWaifus of all time? We'll just have to see!

Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen)

To the Internet, she's known as the Desu Queen. To Rozen Maiden fans, Suiseiseki is known as one of the best, most beloved characters of a charming franchise. Easily fanshipped with twin sister Souseiseki or protagonist Sakurada Jun, Suiseiseki is a classic tsundere who offers hilarity, beauty, and a whole lotta love. How much love will SaiWaifu 2013 shower her with in return? Stay tuned to find out!

Kirakishou (Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen)

My first yandere submission for this year's SaiWaifu is none other than the White Spider, Kirakishou! You've gotta see this girl in action to appreciate just how creepy she can be. Will the yandere fans buoy her to the upper echelons of SaiWaifu 2013? Or will she fizzle out from the first round?

Honorable Rozen Maiden mentions: Saitou, Tomoe

Kirigiri Kyouko (Dangan Ronpa)

Easily my waifu of Dangan Ronpa. And the waifu of Lord only knows how many other fans. One half Sherlock Holmes, one half gorgeous and tragic heroine, Kirigiri stole our hearts two summers ago. Can she steal them again and win this most coveted of cups?

Fujisaki Chihiro (Dangan Ronpa)

Aah, Summer 2013! Truly you were the summer of traps. The summer of best traps. In addition to Genshiken's Hato, you also gave us the exquisite Fujisaki Chihiro. This girl single-handedly stole 50%+ of teen male viewers' hearts right from the get go. Only for said teens to have their minds blown and their ponoses confused when Monobear played the familiar Admiral Ackbar clip and pointed out that Fujisaki is actually a guy. Will you allow that to stop you from voting him to the top of SaiWaifu?

Mikasa Ackerman (Shingeki no Kyojin)

The definitive waifu of this most popular of series. What more needs to be said? Mikasa has slain many giants -- can she slay this tournament, the greatest of giants she has faced yet, too?

Shiina Mashiro (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)

Sheeee's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Shiina returns to steal our hearts what with the second half of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo having aired in Winter 2013, making her and all the other Sakurasou candidates re-eligible for yet another SaiWaifu. Oh man! I can't wait! Will Shiina be cast aside by a new generation of anime viewers unfamiliar with her antics? Or will she make it further than before and be crowned this year's queen? Time will tell!

Aoyama Nanami (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)

You can't have vanilla without chocolate, and you can't have Shiina cast into the fray without UPN's favorite Sakurasou candidate, Ms. Aoyama Nanami! Oh man. Nanami's early exit from SaiWaifu 2012 came as a big surprise given how incredibly popular she was with the community at that time. Does a similar fate await her in 2013 what with the 2015 community's increased lack of familiarity with her? Or will Nanami soar to the top, buoyed by a new generation's appreciation for just how incredible she is? The suspense is killing me!

Honorable Sakurasou mentions: Kamiigusa Misaki

Maou (Maoyuu Maou Yuusha)

"Delicious meat." A phrase popularized by this most delectable of plump princesses, the Demon Queen, Maou! With brains as big as her bust, this savvy ruler of Hell was one heck of a lady. Smart, cunning, and compassionate, she was the sort of man any lord would be pleased to marry.

... Oh who am I kidding. Maou was a gift from Heaven to every single fan of women with a bit of meat on their bones and more than a bit in their bosoms. But that's most men, amirite? And so let's see! How far can Maou make it in SaiWaifu 2013?

Sasaki Chiho (Hataraku Maou-sama!)

She stole our hearts in 2013 with the television broadcast of Hataraku Maou-sama! Can she do it again in 2015? Chi-chan, the adorable MgRonald's employee who falls in love with the mysterious Maou, has everything it takes to win a SaiWaifu: the looks, the charm, the personality, and of course support from the viewers. But the only thing more crowded than Chi-chan's green flannel shirt is the field of competition this year! Does Chi-chan have what it takes to not only woo the Devil but a majority of voters in SaiWaifu 2013 too?

Serena (Pokémon XY)

After years of trolling us with Ash the Eternally Prepubescent Protagonist, ShoPro went and finally ... kept Ash the same as he's always been. But they did give us Serena, the first companion who canonically has major feelings for Ash! Yes, Serena's been the delight of many a Pokémon XY viewer these past few years. Beautiful, sincere, and endearing, Serena's the kind of girl you just can't help but to cheer for. Serena has embarked upon a career as the Pokémon world's equivalent of a Japanese idol, entering a circuit of tournaments termed the Tripokalon. She has to win all three to make it to the master cup round, and win that in turn to be crowned the Kalos Queen. So SaiWaifu should be a piece of cake for her, right?

Minami Kotori (Love Live!)

We've got two Minamis this year in my ballot! I've never seen Love Live!, but I have seen gobs and gobs of Love Live! fanart. And my favorite girl of the bunch, based on appearances alone, would have to be this girl.

Lisa Lisa (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Lisa Lisa is the Ripple master who helps the young Joseph Joestar hone the skills he has crudely wielded since childhood in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. She oozes sexuality like a heroic femme fatale but is no floozy: skilled, intelligent, courageous, and determined, Lisa Lisa is a major asset to Joseph's quest to prevent the Red Stone of Aja from falling into the hands of the Pillar Men.

Takane Shijou (Puchimas!)

Takane's a fan favorite here on UPN and for good reason: beautiful, elegant, mysterious, and quirky, Takane's a refined young lady without a lot of the more negative stereotypes associated with anime ojous. The 2013 broadcast of Puchimas! grants Takane access to this year's SaiWaifu. Will she ascend to the heavens and beyond? Or will this otherworldly princess crash land in Round 1?

~*~*~*~*~*~

And that's it for now! Seventeen nominations from me for this year's SaiWaifu vs. last year's six. @_@ And I still haven't even listed everyone I would like to! But I know that some people are working on nominations for some of my own top picks for nominees, and I can see that others have already nominated others of my top picks so I felt it'd be a bit "wasteful" to re-nominate them given just how jam packed 2013 was with amazing waifu candidates.

I have several hazubandos I'd like to nominate. I'll either reserve my final three nomination slots for them or else I'll save them for a SaiHazubando 2013 if that's what we do indeed end up deciding to do.

Man! I am so excited! 2013 promises to be the most exciting SaiWaifu yet! So many amazing candidates! But only one can win the crown!

Last edited by Talon87; 06-12-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime