UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 04-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

In case anybody missed it, The first trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story dropped yesterday. Again, for people who've been out of the loop, this film is set before Episode IV and is looking to be a heist film explaining what's always been one of my biggest questions about Episode IV: how the rebels received the Death Star plans. So what do you all think of the trailer? What did you like and dislike? What are you excited for?
Old 04-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
Mercutio
Banned

I was excited for it but that trailer is not hugely impressive.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Savage View Post
a heist film explaining what's always been one of my biggest questions about Episode IV: how the rebels received the Death Star plans?

As for the trailer, my succinct thoughts:

"It feels like a not-Star Wars movie set in the Star Wars universe."

The properties are there. AT-ATs, Mon Mothma, the sound effects ... but none of it feels like a Star Wars movie. And I just don't like that. =\ Plenty of other movies don't feel like Star Wars movies and are fine, but I dunno ... It just doesn't satisfy. It looked and felt an awful lot like those bad fan films you periodically see online.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm pretty conflicted.

On the one hand, this might be the first Star Wars film to effectively ditch The Force, the Jedi, and all the supernatural mumbo that has tainted it. In the original trilogy, the Force/Jedi/Sith aspect was just one facet of a much larger conflict. And while the likes of Vader, Yoda, et. al would say The Force is the strongest power in the galaxy, Palpatine still paid the bills for a Death Star. The Rebels still fought with ships and tactics and didn't try to force choke their enemies.

Additionally, the story of the Death Star plans being stolen is a conflicting issue in the Expanded Universe. You have Katarn, Leia, and the intercepting of the plans in deep space. It's a clusterfudge and while I dislike the idea of writing Katarn out of it, it could use some Word of God clarification.

But as Talon says, it looks really generic. It's a sci-fi movie wearing the face of Star Wars. This movie continues the trend of limited space battles - most of Force Awakens, FYI, didn't take place in space. It took place in ship hulls, on Jaku, and on the Planet Killer. Very little legit space fighting and this movie doesn't promise any more.

Galactic Civil War fanboys like myself...I dunno. I'm really on the borderline with this one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment