UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #51
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Swampertforever, right now they only have about $9,000 according to the chat. Which means they can only afford ONE STONE. That places their odds at only 1 in 4 of even getting the correct stone. And that assumes they buy a stone and not some other bullshit. If they do get a Water Stone, then you're absolutely right that Eevee will be an amazing addition to the team *and* we don't need Lapras because we have our Surf Pokémon. But the odds are not good odds.

TIME TO FIND OUT!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that even if they purchase the correct stone, they then have a 1 in 2 chance of safely using it. They have a 1 in 2 chance of tossing it. Think on that.
Spoiler: show

Except the Stones are $2,100 coins. They can buy 4 Water Stones. That increases their chances somewhat. I have faith that they'll somehow get the stone.
Then again, I have faith in everyone and their good naturedness.

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #52
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
Except the Stones are $2,100 coins. They can buy 4 Water Stones. That increases their chances somewhat. I have faith that they'll somehow get the stone.
Then again, I have faith in everyone and their good naturedness.
Ignoring any sort of malice, due to lag and so many commands it's nearly impossible to buy the correct stone on the first try.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #53
Lady Kuno

Also we need money to buy drinks. You know. To progress through the game.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #54
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Huh, But aren't the drinks like really cheap? IIRC they're like $300~. They could get both...
Then again, don't mind me I have faith in everyone's good nature.

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #55
Talon87
時の彼方へ

They are down to only $3,500. And guess what?

No fucking Water Stone.

And no Lemonade either.

They bought PokéDolls and a fucking Fire Stone.

The Eevee fanatics keep demanding they try to buy another stone (and this time get a Water Stone), but the more level-headed players are asking them to STFU and let's buy multiple Lemonades with the remaining funds we have. Why?

Can't advance the game without giving a beverage to the Saffron City guard.

Can't buy only one Lemonade, MORONS, because the odds are so high that it will get tossed before the team makes its way to Saffron.

Despite these arguments, the Eevee fanatics won't allow them to leave the 4th floor. They keep returning Red to the counter so he can ask to buy another stone. This is ridiculous. I can't tell whether the good guys are just fucking retarded children (PROBABLY) or are trolls in disguise (ALSO PROBABLE).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #56
Lady Kuno

It's not an issue of nature as much as "all you need is an empty slot and to talk to an npc to get a surfing pokemon" instead of all this bullshit and waste of time/money/risk of losing important pokemon.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #57
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

You guys are gettin' pretty salty in here.

Can you throw away HMs? Also, I find it incredible that the viewer count has only been growing the past few days and not getting smaller.

I'm guessing there are no opportunities for money once they waste everything on not buying lemonade, leading to an actual failstate?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #58
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
You guys are gettin' pretty salty in here.

Can you throw away HMs? Also, I find it incredible that the viewer count has only been growing the past few days and not getting smaller.

I'm guessing there are no opportunities for money once they waste everything on not buying lemonade, leading to an actual failstate?
You can't toss HMs or important stuff. TMs are tossable.

Of course I'm salty I've been watching for a few days nonstop and now some idiots come in and try to mess up the run.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Can you throw away HMs?
No. It's why you see very few TMs (usually only the latest TM acquired), the S.S. Ticket, the Helix Fossil, and HM01. Three untossables and then any TMs that are inevitably going to be tossed before being taught.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #60
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Empress View Post

Of course I'm salty I've been watching for a few days nonstop and now some idiots come in and try to mess up the run.
Ah, that's good. Also, I meant salty as towards each other in the thread, not towards the stream (though I guess also that...).

How many potentially unwinnable situations are in this game? I remember getting stuck and having to actually start a new file in the Cinnabar mansion as a kid, but I'm not sure if that was because I glitched or just sucked at the game, rather than actually being in an unwinnable situation.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:

I just saw one person write, "EVOLVE EVEE [sic] AND GET OUT". With players like this, who needs trolls? These morons don't understand that the game cannot be advanced without a beverage and that beverages are only sold on the Celadon Department Store rooftop in Gen 1. Unless the players who strongly care about this thing succeeding make a coordinated effort to educate the well-meaning idiots on the channel, the run is pretty much doomed to failure. What has to happen is:
  1. Purchase seven or more drinks.
  2. Make an immediate beeline for the Saffron City gate closest to Celadon.
  3. Along the way, inevitably lose many drinks to trolls tossing them.
  4. But make it to the guard ...
  5. GIVE HIM THE BEVERAGE ...
  6. And then, only then, can you go back to the Department Store and play Russian roulette with your remaining funds.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #62
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
How many potentially unwinnable situations are in this game? I remember getting stuck and having to actually start a new file in the Cinnabar mansion as a kid, but I'm not sure if that was because I glitched or just sucked at the game, rather than actually being in an unwinnable situation.
While the HMs aren't tossable, I'm not sure if the original games had failsafes in place about releasing HM whores into the wild. So like, if you can release your HM-knowing Pokémon into the wild, then I imagine that this would be an unwinnable scenario:
  1. They never got the fishing rods.
  2. They got a Pokémon who could learn Surf (e.g. Lapras).
  3. They taught it Surf.
  4. They made their way to Cinnabar.
  5. Once there, they released all of the HM whores. (No more Fly, no more Surf, etc.)
  6. They convert the Helix Fossil into Omanyte.
  7. They release Omanyte as well.
At that point, I think they would be fucked. None of the abandoned mansion Pokémon can learn Surf, I believe. Magmar, Koffing, Ponyta ... don't think any of the ones you can find there can. The only other Pokémon on the island aren't exactly on the island -- they're in the adjacent water. But without Surf or fishing rods, you'd be shit out of luck.

The thing is, I think it'd be pretty difficult for the malicious trolls to pull this one off without it being obvious. It takes a concentrated effort to outmuscle the concentrated effort of the eager fans who don't want to see you sabotage their run. It's too much to chalk up to random luck to lose Fly Pidgeot and Surf Lapras and anything else that could have learned Surf or Fly that was in the PC or on the team. So if this does end up happening, I think people will remember this run as dying to saboteurs, not dying to random input.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #63
Lady Kuno

I remember reading somewhere that the only way to get completely and utterly stuck was in RuSa on a certain island or something.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that the only way to get completely and utterly stuck was in RuSa on a certain island or something.
That's certainly possible, though I would question how they could have messed it up for a Gen 3 title and not the previous two generations as well. Seems odd to get Gens 1a, 1b, 2a, and 2b right but to mess up Gen 3a. I have no idea whether you're allowed to release HM whores in Gen 1 or not. I never tried. Even if you can release some of them, I don't know if the game stops you when you try to release the last one.

Let's see ... other situations that could be impossible to get out of ...

Theoretically, if they were to fight every single trainer that can be accessed before entering Saffron City and advancing the game, they would have no means of earning revenue outside of Pay Day -- and that's only if they're playing Pokémon Blue and have access to Meowth. If they're playing Pokémon Red, I believe they would be completely locked out of making more money at that point. So like ... if you could troll the players by taking them on a circuit from Celadon to Cycling Road to Fuchsia City to the seaside route on the east back on up to Lavender Town, and along the way you diligently fight each and every single trainer ... and then if you could troll the players by depleting their funds on garbage at Poké Marts or the Celadon Department Store, then I'm pretty sure they'd be screwed. Without money to buy beverages, and with no NPCs who give away free beverages, you wouldn't be able to advance the plot. Again, though, this is a pretty radical scenario that is hard to imagine coming up in this run, much less during normal gameplay. You'd really have to work hard to make something like this happen.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #65
Lady Kuno

Welp I'm gonna sleep. Someone post when any progress gets made (make it to guards, if something evolves, etc).

Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #66
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That's certainly possible, though I would question how they could have messed it up for a Gen 3 title and not the previous two generations as well. Seems odd to get Gens 1a, 1b, 2a, and 2b right but to mess up Gen 3a. I have no idea whether you're allowed to release HM whores in Gen 1 or not. I never tried. Even if you can release some of them, I don't know if the game stops you when you try to release the last one.

Let's see ... other situations that could be impossible to get out of ...

Theoretically, if they were to fight every single trainer that be accessed before entering Saffron City and advancing the game, they would have no means of earning revenue outside of Pay Day -- and that's only if they're playing Pokémon Blue and have access to Meowth. If they're playing Pokémon Red, I believe they would be completely locked out of making more money at that point. So like ... if you could troll the players by taking them on a circuit from Celadon to Cycling Road to Fuchsia City to the seaside route on the east back on up to Lavender Town, and along the way you diligently fight each and every single trainer ... and then if you could troll the players by depleting their funds on garbage at Poké Marts or the Celadon Department Store, then I'm pretty sure they'd be screwed. Without money to buy beverages, and with no NPCs who give away free beverages, you wouldn't be able to advance the plot. Again, though, this is a pretty radical scenario that is hard to imagine coming up in this run, much less during normal gameplay. You'd really have to work hard to make something like this happen.
It was an NPC on an island that trades with you. It wants a water type and if its your surfer, then you cant leave. You have to trade it at level 100 so it doesnt evolve and cant learn surf. I forget. I read it on bulbapedia. Go check it out there haha.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Haha, Amras! A salty image for you courtesy of a friend checking Reddit:

(click for full size)

He references a "Dragon Gym" by mistake (he was thinking of Lance but said the wrong thing) but more or less his points all stand. Too bad it's too late now.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #68
Sneaze
Mrow?

Freedom from the Department Store. Now they just have to make it to the guard without the ONE SODA POP they have being tossed.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #69
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Status update, from what I can gather from the Reddit portal:
  • The team lost two or more PokéDolls to battles in the grass east of Celadon. (I witnessed two of these myself.)
  • The team struggled to get inside the Saffron City gate near Celadon.
  • They made it in ...
  • ... but morons, trolls, or both led Red right back out again, before giving the guard the water.
  • And took him all the way back to Lavender Town.
  • Morons, trolls, or both are saying that they ought to complete the Lavender Town tower before worrying about Saffron's gate guard. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...
  • The creator of the channel stepped in once again and this time he wholly disabled Start. Not just limited it: he full on put a stop to it.
    • This has pissed off some who feel his interference renders the social experiment moot.
    • But it has pleased many others who are grateful to not have to worry about trolls sabotaging the run by tossing the one remaining bottle of water in Red's inventory.
  • Because Start has been disabled, Eevee cannot be evolved. This has pissed off the Eevee fanatics who, in their blind fanaticism, want to see Start re-enabled not for the sake of the run itself but for the sake of their precious Eevee.
  • There are no PokéDolls remaining in the inventory. (Not sure if the third one was used in battle or tossed.) Consequently, they will have to get the Silph Scope before they can tackle the tower in Lavender Town.
To be honest, banning Start pretty much guaranteed that they won't lose the water before they make it back to the guard (the trolls' only avenue now is to access Items from the battle menu and try to give the water to an injured Pokémon), so in a very real sense, the moderator's decision to play God determined the outcome of this run, transforming a hugely insurmountable hurdle into dust in the wind. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your point of view.

EDIT: Awwww man! I looked away and what do you know -- they made it to the gate, talked to the guard, *and* gave him the bottle of water! Amazing! They're in Saffron City even as we speak.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-17-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #70
Sneaze
Mrow?

Too bad they can't do anything in Saffron. They have to double back to Celadon and do the Rocket Base due to not having any Pokedolls.

Also, start isn't completely disabled, but once every thirty seconds may as well be. Shame, though. Feels way too much like interfering with how the run goes, since the mod will have to reenable it later for Surf, Cut, and Strength points, only to turn it back off again.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #71
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Too bad they can't do anything in Saffron. They have to double back to Celadon and do the Rocket Base due to not having any Pokedolls.

Also, start isn't completely disabled, but once every thirty seconds may as well be. Shame, though. Feels way too much like interfering with how the run goes, since the mod will have to reenable it later for Surf, Cut, and Strength points, only to turn it back off again.
No, I read that he had completely disabled it prior to them dropping off the bottle of water. Source:
Quote:
Hello all,

Start has been disabled due to spamming.. it is severely inhibiting game progress, and really doesn't accomplish anything. It will be enabled when necessary (ex. teaching HM's, waking up snorlaxes, desperately trying to cut down bushes, etc.) but will be disabled for the remainder of the game. Don't worry guys, the almighty helix can still be called upon in battle!

hope you enjoy playing! -TPP
The worst thing is that he lied about the reason for disabling it, citing malicious spamming that "severely inhibit[ed] game progress" ... only to re-enable it mere minutes after they reached Saffron's interior, as you can clearly see now with the damn menu flashing off and on every ten seconds. Like, at least own up to why you disabled it -- "Yeah, we can all tell that 1337 h4Xx0rs are trying to make us toss the last remaining bottle of water to sabotage the run" -- instead of blaming it on something else that you then conveniently don't mind once the real reason it was disabled is no longer relevant.

"It will be enabled when necessary" ... yeah. Because you totally need Start enabled inside of Saffron City.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 AM   #72
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
Put Jay Leno in Daycare. Probably the best idea that's come out of this whole endeavor. I'm kinda impressed.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 AM   #73
Sneaze
Mrow?

That Rattata is going to come out of the Daycare a level 100 beast and I don't know why they didn't do it earlier.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #74
Lady Kuno

Good luck actually getting in there.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #75
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
But, y'know, since nearly nothing ever goes as planned, either they're gonna drop Pidgeot in there and be stranded without a powerhouse, or drop Eevee and have a mob trying to get her back.

Edit: Yeah, that ledge requires a good 20+ minutes of backtracking. And this is a rather slow time, viewer-wise.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON