UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 11-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #7751
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yeah. GS died on episode 7 of 12. That makes sense. Just like Erin died on episode 7 of Attack on Titan. And Superman died in Batman v. Superman just before the Justice League.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #7752
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It wasn't certain that Eren was going to die, after all the anime is not called "Eren's Revenge". That doesn't apply to Goblin Slayer.

It's disappointing to hear that they skipped the village arc. I wasn't certain what you were referring to at first because I confused it with Goblin Slayer: Year One's farm arc, but since Char mentioned the canary, that means the anime has practically caught up with the manga.

How would you guys compare Goblin Slayer's adaptation to Overlord's...one sounds like a botched adaptation, while the other was reeeeeally cheap but otherwise pretty faithful?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #7753
Loki

I have never read anything Overlord and I'm mostly on the fence about the series in general. There's a lot of ups and a lot more downs in my opinion. The whole "All the people of Nazerick are OP" makes so much of the action uninteresting because I don't think watching a Pro Sumo Wrestler crushing anorexic people is fun.

The occasions where I can relate to Ainz and his life in a failing MMO guild and his love for his friends from the past and how he relates to the NPCs as extensions of that are usually rock solid. Scenes like the opening with him alone in the Guild Table, dinner at the camp with the Swords of Darkness while Momon reminisce about his guildmates, Ainz and Albedo in the mausoleum (probably the best scene in the series), Ainz vs. Shalltear, and the Worker Force Invasion of Nazerick were good for me. Other stuff, less so to varying degrees. I definitely liked Season 1 the most, and 2 the least. Three was alright.

I still hold to the idea that is Erin did die on Attack on Titan, the show would have been infinitely more interesting. Maybe the rest of the series be about Misaka and Armin getting even more revenge on Titans lol.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:09 AM   #7754
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I have never read anything Overlord and I'm mostly on the fence about the series in general. There's a lot of ups and a lot more downs in my opinion. The whole "All the people of Nazerick are OP" makes so much of the action uninteresting because I don't think watching a Pro Sumo Wrestler crushing anorexic people is fun.

The occasions where I can relate to Ainz and his life in a failing MMO guild and his love for his friends from the past and how he relates to the NPCs as extensions of that are usually rock solid. Scenes like the opening with him alone in the Guild Table, dinner at the camp with the Swords of Darkness while Momon reminisce about his guildmates, Ainz and Albedo in the mausoleum (probably the best scene in the series), Ainz vs. Shalltear, and the Worker Force Invasion of Nazerick were good for me. Other stuff, less so to varying degrees. I definitely liked Season 1 the most, and 2 the least. Three was alright.
Think of it this way - the Dungeon Master personifies all-powerful in a D&D session, but must show restraint in order for there to be any game at all. The DM also isn't a character in the scenario he controls, though he might want to be.

Such is the case with Overlord, so the focus of the story is on the massive conspiracy this all-powerful, totally evil organization is orchestrating from the shadows.

Does it stay that way? No, sadly. But when it absolutely was this, a story about an evil cabal playing chess with peons, it was great. The first season anime was solid, and the light novels where still great quality up through Volume 12.

That says a lot, because these days light novels start to go bad pretty quickly. Goblin Slayer I feel lost some steam during the Sword Maiden arc. Kumo desu ga, nani ka? fades after the Elro Labyrinth is explored. The LNs for Re:Monster and Sword Art Online are walking disasters. Haruhi peaked during Disappearance. So, 12 volumes of 9/10 material is an accomplishment. Enough that I had to resort to reading the talk pages of the Overlord wikia because I couldn't get enough discussion elsewhere, circa winter 2017.

I think the novels are worth your time. They are better paced and explain things better than the anime. You can see from comparing the Goblin Slayer adaptations that a lot of important material can be lost or intentionally cut in translation. Overlord is not a title I can 100% endorse anymore, but it had a great run.

Quote:
I still hold to the idea that is Erin did die on Attack on Titan, the show would have been infinitely more interesting. Maybe the rest of the series be about Misaka and Armin getting even more revenge on Titans lol.
Isayama is a huge Muv-Luv fan and what you describe is how Muv-Luv Unlimited "ends". That ending left a big impact on the game audience and the hopeless feeling was something I think fans wanted to show others. Isayama originally did want Shingeki to end like that, but his attitude changed as the series popularity and his own attitudes matured.

I think he's said that current SnK, which has entered its final arc, is inspired most by Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbook.com
“Although I’m progressing towards the ending that had been set before, my approach towards the ending itself has changed from the original plans,” Isayama said. “I feel responsible towards the reader. I originally wanted to illustrate something similar to the film The Mist."

Expanding on his comment about The Mist, the artist said he was intrigued by how the film ultimately turns on its lead character’s beliefs.

“By the middle of the film, the story of The Mist is at the typical level of a B-list movie. But at its conclusion, it used the main character’s deep, intrinsic beliefs of what’s right to corrupt the main character himself, leading him to act in contrary ways. What the audience believed to be correct is also flipped upside-down. In the beginning, I spent a while analyzing how to imitate this style for Shingeki no Kyojin.”

However, as time has passed, Isayama is now looking to a new movie to help him approach Attack on Titan’s end. Instead of The Mist, the artist wants to mirror a Marvel movie instead.

“At first I explored emulating The Mist, but now you could say that I’m moving in a more peaceful direction, similar to Guardians of the Galaxy,” Isayama explained.

“I’m not talking about whether Shingeki no Kyojin will have a good or bad ending - I only speak of my own attitude as the creator, as well as differences in my methods of ensuring that the readers enjoy the series.”
Muv-Luv to The Mist to Guardians of the Galaxy is quite a journey. At least, I can see the middle part pretty visibly in the current manga arc.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #7755
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Slime Tensei

Holy crackers! I was not expecting this twist at all! How coincidental we were talking about SnK, this is like that!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #7756
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

This season:

I've really enjoyed Bunny Girl Senpai, though the dialogue has given me pause at times. The themes are very relatable, especially in that first arc, and I feel like the me in high school would have greatly appreciated this show. God bless the Spotify student package that includes Hulu, letting me see the latest episodes without getting Crunchyroll premium or subjecting my computer to the horrors of insert anime pirating site here

S4.Gridman hits all of the right spots for me: fun and interesting music, dope animation (even the CG, surprisingly), thighs and nostalgia bombs that don't hit me quite as hard as others but give me all of the fun feelings I had watching Power Rangers growing up. The plot works for what it's doing so yeah, don't question it and just have fun has been my philosophy

Once I got over the initial shock factor of Zombieland, I kind of got bored really quickly. Idol shows should appeal to me given that I am a basic bitch but they just don't, and even this twist on them wasn't able to change that, at least not in the first three episodes.

Planning on picking up Slime. The animation style looks easy on the eyes and I'm kind of intrigued by what I've heard about it.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:49 AM   #7757
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ayyy Gridman was just exposed heavily plagiarizing animation from legendary mecha animator Masami Obari.

Obari has Nine Old Men status within Japanese animation circles, so this could, potentially, sabotage the entire series and the careers of those involved. The story's still developing, but it'll be interesting to see.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #7758
Loki

I don't know Japan feels about paying homage and if they consider that plagiarism, but considering so many poses are basically tropes, I can't imagine Gridman is the only one who has done that kind of animated pose/action.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #7759
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Ayyy Gridman was just exposed heavily plagiarizing animation from legendary mecha animator Masami Obari.

Obari has Nine Old Men status within Japanese animation circles, so this could, potentially, sabotage the entire series and the careers of those involved. The story's still developing, but it'll be interesting to see.
Seems like it will be one of those cases that boils down to whether you believe the intent was homage or plagiarism. From what little I've been able to glean so far, I'm inclined to believe it was the former, even if it is so frequent and so precise it comes across as the latter. For other studios wishing to pay homage going forward, the easiest solution going forward would be to include a credit to the original animation in the pre- and/or post-episode credits. It may "spoil the fun" for some animation otaku who'd have wished to have identified the surprise on their own, but it avoids hurt feelings and makes clear the homage-paying studio's intention.

I think the case for homage will be strengthened if other episodes can be shown to have "pulled from" other animation sources not Obari's. Like a Gundam reference here, a Geass reference there .... Alternatively, if this is a one-off where only the latest episode shows any signs of lifting other animators' animation, it gets a little murkier but still seems likeliest (to me, anyway) that the intention was homage. Most damning would be if two or more episodes lifted from Obari's work while no episodes lifted from anyone else's work.

I know that, at least in eromanga, plagiarism is taken super seriously by Japanese fans and artists alike and is usually, once discovered, a death knell for the plagiarist. There was an artist a decade ago who was turning out pretty decent eromanga. Relatively new to the scene, he'd put out about two to three tankoubons by the time it was discovered that he had been frame for frame lifting many of his choice moments, including the majority of visual climaxes, from this one specific other author's work. Shut the guy down instantly. He was castigated from the community and his work never saw the light of publication again. No idea what he's even doing these days.

On the flipside in the ero world, it seems like "fellow giants" are allowed to do it from time to time when it is clearly homage. For example, if memory serves there was a relatively recent Shindou Eru piece where he copied a scene from some living legend of the H scene. I don't believe it was Takeda Hiromitsu, but it was some similarly kami-tiered eromangaka. While Eru copied the image beat for beat, it was a) all fully redone in his own style and b) it was only the one cel. Not the entire page, certainly not the entire chapter. When it was discovered, it was discovered almost instantly by eromanga afficionados (because of how god-tiered the copied-off-of artist's work is), and iirc the situation was played off very amicably by all involved. Shindou Eru, already well accomplished by his own merits at this point, had the street cred to play it off as homage (which it 99.9% likely was); and the copied-off-of artist, likewise, was able to believe it was homage and take it as flattery rather than that it was plagiarism and get offended by it.

Tangent to end on: sometimes in the modern H world, we're actually (happily!) seeing some delightful little crossovers and references between friends or admirers in the eromanga scene. For example, in the recent Kotoyoshi Yumisuke tankoubon, Yarisugi Nikujukujo, there is a chapter which ends with the female protagonist arriving ... at MizuryuuKei Land. If you don't know what that means, Mizuryuu Kei is a famous eromangaka from the '00s who has spent the past 3-5 years writing a series of doujinshi about a fictional theme park, the eponymous MizuryuuKei Land, where men and women can let loose sexually. The fandom has enjoyed the series ... but it's not every day you find eromangaka including references to one another's work in their own chapters. Enter Kotoyoshi Yumisuke, not only declaring "I fucking love Mizuryuu Kei's work" -- and keep in mind, Kotoyoshi Yumisuke is not a nobody, he's pretty much equivalent in rank to Mizuryuu Kei -- but taking it the extra step further and actually including Mizuryuu Kei's creation in his story. That's pretty awesome. Had to have been done with permission from Mizuryuu Kei. I absolutely love that not only did Kotoyoshi Yumisuke want to include the reference but that Mizuryuu Kei had to have said "Go for it ".
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #7760
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gridman is lifting an awful lot more than just poses, it's lifting animation shots and designs.

The whole issue was blown up into a blood war by triggered Trigger fans belittling Obari for his Chinese wife*, his "irrelevance" in the face of modern efforts to keep mecha in the public eye, and a particularly asinine argument that because he never complained about his work being plagiarised in the past, he has no right to complain about it now.

None of these positions are defensible, and naturally you're seeing the loudest advocates dodge personal accountability by using throw-away Twitter accounts or posting anonymously on text/image boards. But I feel like it rips the scabs off deep wounds about mecha - in that what's been apparent for the past 10 or so years is it's a finished product and interest has been permanently depressed. That makes the Obari snafu all the more stinging, as mecha cannot do anything new anymore. All frontiers have been explored except for a few ambitious visual novels that are too financially prohibitive to bring to life.

*She's 25 years old, so these 'triggered' are either stupid or salty, rofl
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2018, 01:05 AM   #7761
Loki

The whole Weibo and Chinese wife thing is stupid and irrelevant to the overall conversation. It's his account and his wife being Chinese has no effect on whether this is plagiarism or not.

As I said before, I don't know Japanese customs or copyright laws to make a proper account of what is paying homage and what is plagiarism. I do feel it's kind of silly in general that Obari is complaining now about this since almost all of Gridman is homage to something. There's probably more 'homage' scenes in the series than I can ever possibly find all the references for and I don't think any of it is malicious or something we can consider theft.

We don't see Bruce Lee's family suing movie makers who use martial arts and he is constantly paid homage in so many films to the point of literal recreations of his scenes.

Well, ignoring the whole controversy, I decided to just upright give up on watching Goblin Slayer. I couldn't even get like 2 minutes past the OP when the episode started with the Resurrection Ritual and I realized this scene pretty much ruins the end of the farm/village arc's final moment. It's just dumb. Why bother.

I also watched the episode of SSSS.Gridman in question. It was good.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 AM   #7762
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Here's the problem with Gridman as I understand it: the show's mecha sequences are 80% plagiarized, but not from any single one work.

So it's say, pulling the transformation from Exkaiser, the design of Tekkaman, the attack sequences of Gaiking, the poses of Gunbuster, and so on. Some might call it a homage, others plagiarism, but it's clearly unoriginal. I also find it incredibly an uphill battle to claim that consistent, blatant borrowing like this is a homage, when other shows like Gurren-Lagann (also Imaishi) were able to distinguish themselves without having to borrow frame-from-frame from prior works.

Gurren-Lagann is semi-blatant copypasta from a lot of various Getter media, as both Kazuki Nakashima and Hiroyuki Imaishi are huge Ken Ishikawa fanboys. I mean for crying out loud,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In addition to being in charge of compiling Getter Robo Saga in his own words, "Right now, I'm producing the book for Japan's #1, Ishikawa-sensei.", he's a big fan of Ken Ishikawa's works. Naturally, he takes pride in being a "Getter Person".
But while GL is 100% inspired by Getter, it falls short of actually copying scenes. Rather, it's more notorious for ripping off Gunbuster, and even then it's limited to just a few poses and dialogue allusions.

I don't have a photographic memory when it comes to Obari's works - he had left the Brave franchise for the most part before GaoGaiGar - but the claims of what's going on in Gridman go a lot deeper than what Trigger/Gainax have pulled in the past.

So re: I'm going to sit back and let this pot simmer!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #7763
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Slime Tensei

This anime reminds me very strongly of YU-NO's beginning.

Spoiler: show
In that the "heroine", Shizu, dies early in the story and leaves a lasting impact on the hero. And that a big part of the story will involve the hero trying to swim through time to be with the heroine.

As good as this anime is, I feel like Rimuru's love for Shizu has been lost in translation. From the way he opened up to her (and likewise), and the reverence to which he holds her now, it clearly goes beyond the acquaintance they made in their brief time together.

It's almost a "once upon a dream" kind of relationship quality.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #7764
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

New Fruits Basket animé coming 2019

I never finished watching the original animé series past the first ep (in part bc I knew it didn't cover the entire story), but I read the full manga on loan from my friend in high school, so I'm excited to see the whole thing in animated form finally. \o/

Edit- First trailer look

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 12-06-2018 at 11:37 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #7765
Loki

Oh man. Fruits Basket brings me back a lot of memories. I remember being at my LGS back in 2004 sitting in the card shop waiting for friends to show up. And the owner is just like, "Are you bored? Just pick up a manga book and read it." I kind of didn't want to at first because I felt it would be rude if I didn't buy it, but he said I bought enough other stuff he didn't care and as long as I didn't damage the books, it would be fine. That's when I read like 3 volumes. And didn't pick them up. XD

Good times.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #7766
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Oh man. Fruits Basket brings me back a lot of memories. I remember being at my LGS back in 2004 sitting in the card shop waiting for friends to show up. And the owner is just like, "Are you bored? Just pick up a manga book and read it." I kind of didn't want to at first because I felt it would be rude if I didn't buy it, but he said I bought enough other stuff he didn't care and as long as I didn't damage the books, it would be fine. That's when I read like 3 volumes. And didn't pick them up. XD

Good times.
Heh, kinda reminds me how one of the first manga I read was Love Hina at the library. XP (And I finished it all too. OTL) I was actually at Barnes & Noble the other day trying to use a gift card and saw some manga I debated picking up (including Twilight Princess) - but then figured I could always either read it online or in-store. ^^; So I ended up spending the card on chocolate instead. *shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #7767
Loki

Next week will be the last episode of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. I think I'll do an analysis thread about why I'm so enthralled by the series after it's completion and hope someone decides to license and translate the novels in the west.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #7768
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

M21 - Pokemon The Power of Us

I just started this and the RAW came out today. First impression: people who were comparing this to a Ghibli film, Mamoru Hosada or Makoto Shinkai - you were right! This ain't Kansas anymore! The movie looks grand and exciting, here's hoping for a fine adventure!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #7769
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm tempted to spoil myself with the details of Dragonball Super: Broly but...for some reason, I can't urge myself to do it.

Too much about this movie is "I want to see what happens". Does Broly romance Chirai? Does Chirai die? Does Gogeta job? Is Gogeta stronger than Vegito? A lot of questions that the former me would spoil without a second thought...but I want to wait for this. To see it.

Holding back!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #7770
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

M21 - Minna no Monogatari

This is great. Greatest Pokemon movie? It's in the conversation. It's also the least Pokemon-like movie, where the humans and human conflict are the central focus.

I feel like M20 really helps M21 by being all about Ash and Pikachu, because their role in this movie is to inspire everyone else. Ash/Pikachu are integral to the plot, yet without M20 it's easy to write them off as a plot contrivance or deus ex machina. However, with the duo more or less fully developed in that movie, their cheesy speeches and alpha male leadership comes across as genuine and earnest.

This isn't a Ghibli film, or a Hosada/Shinkai film. It feels closer to a Pixar film, in the vein of Toy Story and Monster's Inc., but with a very Pokemon agenda. It's hard to find a strict analog, because I want to generically compare Pokemon to itself, but that's not fair to this movie, and I can't come up with a specific example in the series that mirrors this one. It's more like this movie taps into the long untapped potential of exploring the relationship between people and Pokemon. I can only conclude it breaks new ground...perhaps what it talks about is something well-treaded in fan forums, so much so that the idea feels very intimate and familiar (because it's ours) but is technically not seen in a Pokemon feature before.

I was a little nervous for the ending, but I was pretty dang satisfied. The humans and ordinary Pokemon pretty much did everything themselves without the box legendary needing to do anything. It's not as epic an ending as M20, but it's a wonderful ending nonetheless.

What I don't like, though, is Lugia doesn't talk anymore. Lugia and Mewtwo were the original telepathic Pokemon, so while having it not speak adds to the mystique, it makes M02 feel more like a dream sequence than an actual event that happened. Also, I dislike how Lugia flies in this movie, its finger-wings don't look as good flying like a normal bird. It and Yveltal NEED the over exaggerated flaps.

Final score: 10/10 (Masterpiece)

I should boost M20 up from that 7/10 I gave it last year, it doesn't deserve it at all in retrospect. It's closer to a 10 than it is a 6.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #7771
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shieldbro

Cringe. This is the ultimate redpiller's anime. A false accusation of rape leads the main 'hero' to buy himself a sex slave. The shy Japanese otaku becomes a cynical, edgy, misogynistic beast.

I pretty much anticipated everything that was going to happen in this episode, but it was still physically painful to watch. Everything from how Naofumi acted clueless and naiive, to the other heroes being know-it-alls, to the god dang castle wallpaper colour, it was all putrid.

Freaking how is this the top rated isekai on MAL? I'd wager a theory, an incel theory. Because MC Naofumi here, enters his adventure a Natsuki Subaru, but in the span of 2 days morphs into Elliot Rodger. That's the only explanation for the worship.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #7772
Connor
Flashbacker

Slime Tensei and Bunny Senapi are both absolute bangers in their own ways, and you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch them.

Bunny Senpai especially does a good job of handling very relatable topics while still managing to maintain character integrity and story line interest.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #7773
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was really hard for me to watch BGS after a certain point, but it seems to have resonated a lot with some people. Maybe it's worth trying again? I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp of what it is already (Episode 8 ).

It's like a very casualized Bakemonogatari, stripping it of the SHAFT artistry and Nisio Isin's thick cultural accent. But...I didn't really find the character development in Bakemonogatari that good, it was always second to the plots.

Well, except Shinobu's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #7774
Connor
Flashbacker

Nah, I think for all my praise of it, Bunny Senpai is definitely a show you either click with or you don't. Personally I found a lot of the issues characters had to confront fairly relatable, to the point I either know someone close to me who has tackled something similar (albeit minus the supernatural aspects, obviously) or are something I myself remember struggling with when I was at school.

I feel like it is very much so YMMV, and I think part of it too is that our tastes likely differ a lot. I know for one that when I tried watching Bakemono all of the SHAFT-isms kept pulling me out of what was actually happening because I found them so weirdly jarring. That said, BGS was absolutely something I enjoyed dearly - I'm not really one for watching shows that are currently airing, I prefer to binge once they're completed, but this and Slime Tensei have both managed to break that habit for me.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #7775
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

What's you guys' opinion on Overlord? Worth giving it a go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime