UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Munna Yume Nikki

Madotsuki, a young, female hikikomori, lives alone, secluded in her apartment. She refuses to leave her room, only able to play a frustrating and unrewarding Famicom game, and sleep.

Yume Nikki is the story (if you can call it that) of her dreams.

This surrealist game was made by an independent Japanese Doujin soft developer using RPG Maker 2003, but it's nowhere near an RPG. It's much more of an Adventure/Horror/Exploration Game... but it's not really any of those either. The actual goal of the game isn't very clear, and pretty much every part of it is incoherent and surreal. The game itself isn't really very scary, but there are parts that are genuinely surprising, and the atmosphere can be best described as haunting.

I spent a good hour and a half following a walk-through to complete to the game's main goal - collect artifacts called "Effects" which change Madotsuki's appearance and sometimes give her abilities - and reach the ending, but there are a huge number of events, areas and other strange happenings that occur outside of the main game (though it's debatable what really qualifies as the "main game").

Download is here. This website (and others linked on the Wiki page) holds a handful of walkthroughs, videos, screenshots and other points of interest concerning the game. Since it was released in 2004, there's a pretty sizable community that has developed around it, so there's plenty of content concerning its themes and secrets for those who want a little more out of this already dense game.

Even if it's not that scary, I'd still not recommend playing it after dark...
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm interested in this game. I'm a scaredy cat and don't handle horror well (I could NEVER play a game like Silent Hill), but this might be okay. I'm a fan of weird, surreal games, such as the Moonside segment of Earthbound.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I don't do horror well either, but this wasn't too bad; it's more just creepy and weird and atmospheric than straight-up scary.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games