UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #226
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Pearl run is go - and I'm to head for Hearthome soon. One casualty, Bibble the Bidoof, to a trainer's Kricketot's Bide. Same rules as last time, except if I lose all of my members of one family, I cannot use the family again.

Team:
Big Z the Prinplup (Male, Level 30)
Beaker V the Staravia (Male, Level 21)
Brosalt the Geodude (Male, Level 23)
Armtrong the Machop (Male, Level 21)
Fluffers the Lopunny (Male [-_-], Level 25)
Sally the Pachirisu (Female, Level 20)

Box:
Sucky Fish the Magikarp (Female, Level 3)
Draculara the Zubat (Female, Level 4)
Sistone the Onix (Female, Level 9)
Jade the Medicham (Female, Level 13)

Graveyard:
Bibble the Bidoof (Female, Level 9. Damn Biding Kricketot.)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #227
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I'm playing Nuzlocke Pearl as well now...simple rules, catch first Pokemon even if duplicate, use TMs but only obtained ones, not purchased.

Just beaten the Galactic boss with the Purugly at the Power Plant and have this team:

Molly, L14 Geodude
George, L14 Monferno
Percy, L14 Zubat

Have managed to lose two Bidoof(s?) and a Buizel, to an amazing array of critical bloody hits.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #228
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Guess I'd quit my current SS challenge and start a Muyo Rules game.
Not counting starter as one of the six unique 'mon.

Party:

Box'd:

Dead:
Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #229
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Y'know, DPPt are known as the hardest games to Nuzlocke. Crits, Bidoofs, Crits, Poor selections, and Crits will fuck you over.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #230
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakittenyfool View Post
Y'know, DPPt are known as the hardest games to Nuzlocke. Crits, Bidoofs, Crits, Poor selections, and Crits will fuck you over.
I'm also kinda worried about MURDERCHOMP too.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #231
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you're lucky enough to get a Swinub, you should be okay. Just be sure to go back to low-level areas and EV train the shit out of it so that its Ice Shard is an all-but guaranteed OHKO during Story Mode while you're trying to level him up in time for the Elite 4 + Cynthia.

Otherwise, I wonder what options you have ... you're not likely to see Gible first in a cave, not unless you have a ton of Repels and again a modicum of luck, so I guess your only recourse would be to teach Dragon Claw or Dragonbreath or Dragon Pulse (so many options these days!) to somebody on your team.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #232
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

My brilliant plan was an overlevelled Misdreavus, after having lucked out in the first Forest area (helps that I always play at night) and not got as Wurmple.

About thirty minutes later I threw my DS across the room as tired me failed to notice a Meditite using Bide and lost her as a result. GAAAHHHHHH. First serious loss though, albeit a big ones.

New squad, having just got the Eterna (2nd) badge:

Fleur, L15 Ponyta
Padma, L18 Shellos
Goerge, L19 Monferno
Molly, L19 Geodude
Percy. L20 Zubat.

Surprisingly, Zubat's Hidden Power Ice has been incredibly useful so far, hence him being a bit overlevelled. Certainly destroyed the poor Grass Gym.

Dead 'uns:
2x Bidoof
Ginny the Buizel
Myrtle the Misdreavus

Need to start thinking Longer term, not sure Hidden Power Ice is going to be enough for that Garchomp somehow...
Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #233
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Once I find my Fire Red (again), I think I'll do one of these.

However, I'll be doing it in true Fire Emblem style. I may only recruit (catch) each unique character (evolutionary line) once. In other words: If my Pidgey faints, too bad for me- can't catch another one.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #234
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Once I find my Fire Red (again), I think I'll do one of these.

However, I'll be doing it in true Fire Emblem style. I may only recruit (catch) each unique character (evolutionary line) once. In other words: If my Pidgey faints, too bad for me- can't catch another one.
That's a better explanation of my extra rule.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #235
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Got started.

Trainer Name: Ares
Rival: Athens

Team:
Dragoon- Lv17 Charmeleon
Blade- Lv12 Rattata
Rocket- Lv11 Zubat
Sniper- Lv14 Spearow
Tazer- Lv15 Pikachu
Grenade- Lv15 Geodude

Reserve:
Napalm- Lv4 Caterpie
Dart- Lv6 Pidgey
Bazooka- Lv5 Magikarp
Mush Cloud- Lv6 Paras
Spear- Lv5 Weedle
Stun Ray- Lv10 Clefary

Graveyard:
Club the Mankey (misgauged the damage from a Rattata early on)

Thinking about no purchasing of healing items- been okay so far, but I've had a few poison scares.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #236
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'm awful at Nuzlocke because I'm a classical Pokemon strategist and often rely on strategies involving fainting. And I get really attached to my Pokemon so I often RageQuit.

But in the interest of trying new things (or, well, just trying to get through it), I'm going to try a Nuzlocke on Emerald, the game I am most familiar with. I've run through Gen III games at least 6 times and I know them like the back of my hand, so this is probably the easiest game for me to do.

I'm doing the simple rules of Faint = KO and one per route with the No Copies Clause, though once I use one family, it's done for the rest of the game.

Progress:
~Started, picked up Gilgamesh the Treecko
~Did the whole deal with Brendan
~Got a Wurmple from Route 101, named it Inanna (Babylonian fertility god)
~Got a Poochyena from Route 102, named it Ninazu (Sumerian underworld god)
~Ground to evolve Inanna into Silcoon.
~Get Ninazu to level 6 and look for a team member in 103. Run into 4 Poochyena in a row
~Ran into a Wingull (yay!). Caught and named him Apsu (Mesopotamian "sea" god, sorta)
~Wally gets his Ralts
~Go to 104, get Taillow, name her Anzu
~Got a Shroomish from Pearlburg Forest, named Ninhursag (Sumerian "mother of gods")
~Had a bit of a scare with the Aqua member after Poochyena spammed Howl and Sand-Attack, beat him with no casualties
~Leveled a bit on trainers, got Shroomish up to level 8
~Went straight to Gym after getting potions
~Leveled Shroomish (to 10) and Wingull (to 9) on the Gym trainers
~Fought Roxanne, beat Geodudes with Treecko, finished Nosepass easily with Shroomish

Gonna stop for now.

Current team
~Gilgamesh - Male Treecko, Lv. 12
~Anzu - Female Taillow, Lv. 10
~Inanna - Female Silcoon, Lv. 8
~Apsu - Male Wingull, Lv. 9
~Ninhursag - Female Shroomish, Lv. 12
~Ninazu - Male Poochyena, Lv. 8
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #237
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Nuzlocking leafgreen. Nicknaming all pokemon, no duplicates rule, "set" battle style, usual fare. I will be typing this post as I play, so you can see my thought process.

Lord, I'd forgotten how annoying the average text speed is. The highest speed is a little less annoying. Not as bad as FF7 though - boy did the slow text speed on that piss me off.

You'd think Dave (for that is my characters name) would've learnt that leaving the village without a pokemon was dangerous after living there for ten years. Oak must think him a right idiot. RNG'd to choose my starter, because a) all my other pokemon choices will be down to luck of what I find and b) I like them all so damn much. Bulbasaur it is. Incidentally, Bulbasaur was the first pokemon I ever had back on good old red version. Nicknamed Harnot (Har-no, silent T. Don't ask). Hmm. Guess this means Gary gets Charizard. Eeep. Turns out Harnot is a girl, given what I'd intended to be a guys name. Oh well.

Stopped paying attention to type. Charmander gets a critical hit. I neglected to use a potion.

Restart.

My new Bulbasaur is a guy named Carnot. He easily crushes Gary's new Charmander. Didn't have to use the potion. Carnot also crushes a few weak pokemon, meaning I can't now catch anything on route 1.

Kanto seriously needs to employ a postal service.

You have to wonder - Oak called Gary to get him to come back and get the pokedex. If you hadn't turned up with the package at that moment, would he have given one to you? Gary tells me not to bother going round to his place after this, so I don't.

On route 22, I successfully bag a Mankey, though it costs me two pokeballs to do so. Foreman joins my crew at the grand old level of 2.

The man who shows me how to catch a pokemon is thoroughly unhelpful, given I just caught one, but a productive trip north endows me with a new teammate - Liara the Pidgey, from route 2. Unfortunately, the Metapod I was battling in the Viridian Forest died to a critical hit, denying me its capture. Mankey and Pidgey are rapidly levelled to level 8, at which point I journey to challenge my rival. Was caught off guard by the amount of damage his Pidgey's tackles did, but fought him off without too much difficulty using Pidgey and two potions.

Newly stocked with antidotes, my journey continues in the direction of the Viridain Forest.

The Team:

Spoiler: show
Carnot the Bulbasaur (male) level 9
Naughty nature @ nothing
Tackle
Growl
Leech Seed

Foreman the Mankey (male) level 8
Hardy nature @ nothing
Scratch
Leer
Low Kick

Liara the Pidgey (female) level 10
Impish Nature @ nothing
Tackle
Sand Attack
Gust
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #238
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Mankey? How do you have a Mankey so early in the game? What the hell did they do in FrLg? O_o; Mankey is a north-of-Vermilion City creature, says I. [/old-timer] They relocated him to south of Viridian City!? I guess they decided that the Double Kick on Nidoran in Viridian Forest just wasn't good enough to beat Brock and that little kids would be better able to figure out that Fighting-type STAB and Low Kick are an idiot-proof combination for defeating the super-ass heavy Rock-type Pokémon Onix.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #239
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Mankey is found on route 22, the bit of grass west of Viridian. It's there in good old Yellow too, Talon, though not Red and Blue.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #240
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You can't go west until you've beaten the final gym, though ...? Or is he in an accessible patch? Odd either way. I played Yellow once (never erased save) but have played Blue twice, Red twice, and Red Japanese rom once, so my memory of that's better.

Anyway, should be great for you so long as you don't lose him. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #241
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Yeah, there's an accessible area before the league but still west of Viridian I think in all versions (though I rarely play RB any more, preferring Yellow when I'm feeling like proper first gen games, so I may well be wrong about that). Where you find the Nidorans, too.

Should be pretty darn useful, you're right. Although I don't see the need for it at Pewter Gym seeing as I can exploit both Brock's pokemon's 4x weakness to grass.

EDIT the first: Speaking of which, I just crushed Brock by exploiting his pokemon's 4x weakness to grass. I am reminded of this comic quite a lot.

Last edited by Concept; 12-09-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #242
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I, on the other hand, am reminded of this comic. Poor Brock.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #243
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

So I'm currently wandering my way east across route 3, which isn't presenting much of a challenge.

Just as I'd finished typing that, the Youngster with a Spearow almost finished my Pidgey O.o. At least the Jigglypuff dies to Mankey easily. Speaking of Jigglypuff, I hope I capture one here. Or one of the Nido's. That'd be cool.

Bah, no such luck. Caught a Spearow. Fearow is one of the few 1st gen pokemon I'm not really a fan of, so I'll box it. Think I'll train it up first, just in case my squad wipes and I need it as back up.

... again, the fact that I don't pay enough attention screws me over, and I accidentally KO the Geodude I wanted to catch in Mt Moon. Bugger.

Yay, Bulbasaur evolved. Silly hiker. Pidgey evolved not long after. Cool beans. I pick up the dome fossil, because I like Kabutops, but I'll almost certainly end up with Aerodactyl as my Cinnabar Island pokemon rather than Kabuto. Caught Sebastian the Rattata on route 4, which is cool, as much as I would've preferred Sandshrew. Training Rattata proves to be quite dull, but I get it to level 13 when it learns hyper fang and leave it there for now.

Full team update after Misty.

EDIT the first: Right, with Rattata now at level 16, Ivysaur and Mankey at level 17 and Pidgeotto at level 18, it's time to go face Gary because I'm bored of grinding.

First pokemon, Pidgeotto, facing my Rattata. Goddammit sand attack is annoying. Two hyper fangs do the job though, and I take just a single gust - albeit one that did almost a third of Rattata's health. His Rattata nearly takes down mine though, thanks to a crit from quick attack, so I quickly switch to Ivysaur who finishes it. Wow why hasn't he evolved his Charmander? Weird. This isn't Ivysaur's fight, so I switch to Pidgeotto - who is promptly burnt. Balls. Have to switch out to Mankey. NOOO! Critical hit from ember and down goes Mankey. Shit. My others are all weakened too. Shit shit shit. Switch in Rattata, who also falls to a critical hit from ember despite me using a potion. Shit shit shit shit shit I knew I should've grinded more. Really wish I'd bought a super potion. A quick attack from Pidgeotto finishes the Charmander, but the burn ends Pidgeotto as I forgot about Abra - thought Charmander was his last mon. Shit. Abra falls to Ivysaur quickly, but at the cost of three quarters of my team I've learnt an expensive lesson. Damn hax critical hits + burns. Guess I'll be using Spearow after all.

EDIT the second: Ivysaur brutalised Misty. Leech seed + poisonpowder + vine whip = Starmie rape. Now I'm going to blitz through as far as Vermillion so I can quickly grab a bunch of new pokemon, then go back and go through the trainers/train my team.

The Team:

Spoiler: show

Fury the Spearow (female) level 14
Naughty nature @ nothing
Peck
Growl
Leer
Fury Swipes

Carnot the Ivysaur (male) level 20
Naughty nature @ nothing
Vine Whip
Poisonpowder
Leech Seed
Tackle

The Glorious Dead:

Foreman the Mankey
Liara the Pidgeotto
Sebastian the Rattata

EDIT the third: Caught new 'mon, trained, stomped the ship in Vermillion, got cut, got a new mon, and am currently training up Sandshrew ahead of my battle with Surge (somehow, peck from a 'mon three levels below it OHKO's the Diglett I was trying to catch). Gary on the ship was a pushover - Farfetch'd defeated his Pidgeotto, albeit narrowly, Kadabra gave Drowzee little trouble, Ivysaur had no problems with Raticate and Gyarados finished Charmeleon off in style. Quick summary of my new team;

Maria - Sandshrew - level 13
Ch'ding - Farfetch'd - level 22
Monarch - Gyarados - level 22
Hugh - Drowzee - level 23
Carnot - Ivysaur - level 24

Boxed;

Motown - Meowth - level 13
Velma - Bellsprout - level 13

Plan now is to beat the gym, leaving all the trainers on route 11 (east of Vermillion) and as many on the routes between me and Celadon as possible untouched. Catch as many new pokemon as I can, work out a team, train it up (mostly on the many trainers I'm leaving) and hammer my way through Celadon and the surrounding areas (my new team will probably include Jolteon and Hitmonlee, I imagine).

Last edited by Concept; 12-12-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #244
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
So, starting the Muyo challenge on Sapphire instead and counting starter as a unique 'mon.
-Chose Treecko as starter, and got a Mild (+SpAtk) nature so I'm glad about that. Easily beat the Poochyena, and marched through the routes without any wild encounters. Saved before May for fear of crits.So, startin gthe Muyo challenge on Sapphire instead and counting starter as a unique 'mon.
-Chose Treecko as starter, and got a Mild (+SpAtk) nature so I'm glad about that (named her Cerci). Easily beat the Poochyena, and got to May without running into any pokemon. Saved before May for fear of crits.
-Torchic was downed after a few pounds, thankfully Treecko's attack is pretty decent. Made it back to Littleroot after stopping by the PokeCenter.
-Ended up falling in love with the music, especially Oldale for some reason, and started whimming for a Treecko in ASB. Made it to Route 102 without any encounters, and pray I won't get an effing Poochyena. Anyway, beat Youngster Calvin and was glad I chose Treecko 'cause Absorb is really handy.
-Didn't run into any wilds until right before Petalburg. Strangely lucky for me.
-Caught Vanadis the female Ralts and Nuphar the Demon Princess before having daddy make me play with the lame kid, Wally. My luck continues as I catch Osto the Shroomish in Petalburg woods. Dear God this is scary but great. Flannery and Wynina will probably be bitches with three grass types, but Watson doesn't scare me now that I have Shroomish.
-Went out of Petalburg Woods for a second and caught Aero the Taillow.
-A Nincada almost killed me but I survived and ended up catching one of my own. Training everyone to ~Lvl 16 before Roxanne.
Team:
Cerci the Treecko
Nuphar the Demon Princess
Vanadis the Ralts
Osto the Shroomish
Aero the Taillow
Katana the Nincada

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-12-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #245
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quick update; caught a few more pokemon, was going to have Hawking the Doduo to replace Farfetch'd but it died to a Youngster's Zubat on route 11 when I wasn't paying attention. Current team; Ch'ding the Farfetch'd, Monarch the Gyarados, Mary-Rose the Jolteon, Steve the Graveller, Carnot the Ivysaur and Hugh the Hypno, all level 24-26, with Sandshrew, Meowth, Bellsprout and Vulpix boxed. Not sure whether to use Hitmonlee on my team or not, once I get it, ditto with Snorlax. Taking out all the trainers pre-Erika with a view to beating the stuffing out of her shortly.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #246
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Over in Pearl corner, I've been making a bit of a hash of things.

Since last we updated, I've managed to lose Shellos, Geodude and a newly caught Staravia. Not too shattered by any of those though, as I managed to net myself a L18 Magikarp in the Great Marsh, which means that approaching the third (Fighting) gym I have the smaller but distinctly higher quality squad of:

Norbert, L25 Gyarados (Hell yes)
George, L26 Monferno
Percy, L26 Crobat (I think so)

With a few things in the box as backup but nothing much. As someone else noted, Pearl is a real bugger of a Nuzlocke game as pretty much every single patch of grass contains Bidoof, Geodude and Zubat, so the chances of getting anything interesting on to my team aren't looking great just yet.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #247
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Maylene and Wake were a breeze. Grinding for Fantina. God damn Gravellers - Fluffers AND Boo!?

Team:
Big Z the Prinplup (Male, Level 30)
Beaker V the Staravia (Male, Level 21)
Brosalt the Geodude (Male, Level 23)
Armtrong the Machop (Male, Level 21)
Sally the Pachirisu (Female, Level 20)

Box/Daycare:
Sucky Fish the Magikarp (Female, Level 20-Something.)
Draculara the Zubat (Female, Level 4)
Sistone the Onix (Female, Level 9)
Jade the Medicham (Female, Level 13)
MindDuck the Psyduck (Male, Level 16)
ChuChu the Pichu (Female, Level 16)
Dan. D the Budew (Male, Level 16)
Tails the Azurill (Female, Level 20)
Woopwoop the Wooper (Female, Level 20)
Charlie the Ponyta (Male, Level 21)
Buizealot the Buizel (Male, Level 21)
Psycho the Girafarig (Male, Level 22)
Not a Tree the Sudowoodo (Female, Level 23)
Bloob the Drifloon (Female, Level 22)
Spitter the Wurmple (Male, Level 10)
Undular the Unown U (Genderless, Level 21)

Graveyard:
Bibble the Bidoof (Female, Level 9. Damn Biding Kricketot.)
Fluffers the Lopunny (Male [-_-], Level 30. Explosion out of no-where from a wild Graveller. I should have known better.)
Boo! the Haunter (Male, Level 29. Rock Blasted to death.)
Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #248
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Lost Farfetch'd to a crit from Erika's Vileplume. About to go through the rocket hideout, followed by Saffron dojo.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #249
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

This thread is making me want to redo my old hard game. I forgot everything about it except I kept losing to the E4 with scyther.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #250
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

The ridiculous mono-bug thing? You so should.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON