UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Shiny Rectangles

So. I realized, much to my surprise, we don't have a thread for the TCG. Despite this being a pokemon forum with multiple members who enjoy card games.

So, I'm rectifying this problem. Why should only Yougi get to talk about his latest impressions and the potential badass strategies? From the age-old nostalgia-inducing Jungle set to the new Dragon-types who no longer have to worry about a weakness to colourless, but have interesting energy requirements to restrict usage, discuss it all here!

tl;dr: My new school has a game store across the road which actually holds pokemon tourneys. I know how to play but most of my cards are outdated and I have no idea what kind of strategies are used this game and yeah.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Original Dark Dragonair. 'nuff said.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
tl;dr: My new school has a game store across the road which actually holds pokemon tourneys. I know how to play but most of my cards are outdated and I have no idea what kind of strategies are used this game and yeah.
There are only two strategies in the game (if you simplify it), one is to hit them hard and fast (the most common) and the other is to go rogue and use the element of surprise against your opponent (fuuuuuun ). But really, if you want to start figuring out the 'strategies' that are in the game then you should keep an eye out for tournaments that they have, mini or otherwise. Then just watch a couple of matches as they play, just don't interupt. Of course, I don't know what you're league will be like... In ours, they guy who runs it is a Poke-dad and a pretty awesome guy (except for his obsession with Doctor Who companions, especially the upcoming one) and he'll help out newcomers with learning the strategies in the game or just the basic mechanics. Mostly because he has a few different decks (they're not greeeat decks but...)

Aside from that... Hi, I'm Yougi and I'm a Pokemon Professor. Now tell me, are you a boy or a girl?

Also, Kind, if you're looking for something to do with old cards try giving this a read. It was written by someone from our league (the biggest in the Uk, but suffers because we're in the north and the Uk Pokemon representative is in the south... Yeah) and if you like it then you could always talk to some of the other people at your league about giving it a try (there's a FB page for it as well, I just don't know how active it is).
Also, the second, I would suggest some vids or something for getting up to date. But the only person who I know is still doing them is PokemanDan and, well, the general opinion at my league is that he's pure shite. I've been tempted to look at his video of a deck that I started using a month ago, but I don't want to cringe (admittedly, I didn't do that well with my deck but it was fairly good considering my league was full of the most expensive, most powerful decks around).

Spoiler: show
PASBL: TL3, 15W/8L/1D, 42 KO's, 95TP, 14.75 SP.

*Certified Ref. Grade: B-*

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2
Yougirasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I stopped putting effort into collecting the cards soon after we got to 3rd gen cards, though I occasionally get some cool cards just because they're cool. Like the Ninetales promo pictured with a Fire Stone... that one's awesome.

I've gotta say, though, now that I have a deck or two on Fizzy Bubbles, I'm starting to get a little interested again, though I still don't buy real cards.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

You can always play on Redshark if you're lazy.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Oh man, I suddenly have an intense urge to play on Redshark again, but I just know this will only end up like Yu-Gi-Oh.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
pokemontcg.com used to be nice, but then they made a downloadable version of it which they changed every week or so and it was in the beta phase for a long time, and I just gave up keeping track of it.

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
phoopes
Double Dragon

When I was younger, I had almost every card released in Gen 1. Looked that up and that was Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Base Set 2, Team Rocket, and Gym Challenge. However, my mom sold the whole lot for a fraction of the value a few years ago at a yard sale. At that point, I knew baseball cards had value, but I figured Pokemon cards weren't worth anything, so I let her do it. I'd like to have my first edition Charizard back. Badly.

Never played anything close to the real game now that I know what it is. My friends and I just collected for the cool pictures and made up our own rules when we battled. That's the best way to play, in my opinion. If we wanted to play a card game for real, Yu-Gi-Oh was our serious game, while Pokemon was the more crazy and fun alternative. Oh, the memories...

Still though. WHY DID I LET THAT FIRST EDITION CHARIZARD GET AWAY? ;_;
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
When I was younger, I had almost every card released in Gen 1. Looked that up and that was Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Base Set 2, Team Rocket, and Gym Challenge. However, my mom sold the whole lot for a fraction of the value a few years ago at a yard sale. At that point, I knew baseball cards had value, but I figured Pokemon cards weren't worth anything, so I let her do it. I'd like to have my first edition Charizard back. Badly.

[...]

Still though. WHY DID I LET THAT FIRST EDITION CHARIZARD GET AWAY? ;_;
You sure it was a first edition Charizard? 1st Edition doesn't just mean Base Set, you know. It means the first shipment of the expansion. Only reason I ask is because I'd be surprised if someone your age managed to get 1st Edition Base Set Pokémon cards back when they came out (December 1998 / January 1999) because unlike later 1st Edition cards which could easily be bought across the nation for months after the set came out the original Base Set's 1st Edition cards pretty much were gobbled up before the spring since 1) Pokémania and 2) that was the only set back then so you had the entire market concentrated on just that one expansion. You would've been how young back then? That's twelve, very nearly thirteen years ago. Was your mom really buying Pokémon cards in the first few months of the TCG's existence for you? [/trying to help ease your mind about having possibly lost a 1st Edition Charizard]

But yeah. If you had a 1st Edition Charizard and you let your mom just gave it away ... you made some collector very, very happy. [/dashing those attempts to ease you ]
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
phoopes
Double Dragon

Nope, I'm almost pretty sure I had it. When the kid down the street who was four years older than me sold his cards, I got most of 'em, and when asked a few years later, he said it was first edition. I've been going on his word.

(THE PAAAAAIIIINNN, haha)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Nope, I'm almost pretty sure I had it. When the kid down the street who was four years older than me sold his cards, I got most of 'em, and when asked a few years later, he said it was first edition. I've been going on his word.

(THE PAAAAAIIIINNN, haha)
First editions had this thing on them. Sorry to be a skeptic, but I find it hard to believe you had one when they were printed while you were still shitting your pants.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
phoopes
Double Dragon

Well, who knows? I was told it was first edition. I really don't remember the card other than it was holographic and it was a Charizard. Either way, it doesn't matter at this point because I don't have it anymore. We'll never know.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Well, who knows? I was told it was first edition. I really don't remember the card other than it was holographic and it was a Charizard. Either way, it doesn't matter at this point because I don't have it anymore. We'll never know.
Don't get me wrong, even a non first edition (and a Holo to boot) is pretty valuable, just not as much as first edition. Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Chiming in with Tdos, it would've been pretty obvious if they were 1st Edition. All 1st Edition cards during WotC's tenure had this image (see sample Charizard here) on the left-hand side opposite where the expansion symbol was printed. And it said, in bold lettering, Edition (1) (as you can see). So like, you shouldn't have had to have taken this kid's word for it. You should've been able to tell for yourself just by looking and seeing that they were 1st Edition cards.

Pros to theory phoopes had 1st Edition cards:
- we learned that he got many of the cards from a kid four years older than him. That could could've been old enough for his mom and dad to buy him 1st Edition cards at the time and also young enough to be fucking stupid ^^; and give them away to phoopes

Cons to theory phoopes had 1st Edition cards:
- he tells us he took some other kid's word for it when he should've instead been taking the cards' very own word for it were they really 1st Edition cards since, duh, dat mark

I guess you're free to pick whichever version of the story you like best, phoopes. ^^; If it bothers you that your mom screwed you like this, you can tell yourself they probably weren't 1st Editions anyway (see the con) and not be upset with your mom over this. If instead you like the idea of having once owned a 1st Edition Charizard but your mom gave it away, then I guess you can tell yourself they were 1st Editions (see the pro) and have your story. I'm just trying to be a cynical jerk help.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I traded a first edition Machamp that came in the double deck box set my bro and I got for a bunch of worthless cards once. Always regretted it later. =x
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
I traded a first edition Machamp that came in the double deck box set my bro and I got for a bunch of worthless cards once. Always regretted it later. =x
Shouldn't've regretted it. 1st Edition Machamp is the only 1st Edition card that is worth next to nothing precisely because it was so easy to get precisely because the only way you could get one was via those boxes you mentioned. That's how I got mine too. So yeah. If it's still in the family and if you got a lot of cards in exchange for just that one, you very well may have gotten a fair deal not just practicality-wise but economically too.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Shouldn't've regretted it. 1st Edition Machamp is the only 1st Edition card that is worth next to nothing precisely because it was so easy to get precisely because the only way you could get one was via those boxes you mentioned. That's how I got mine too. So yeah. If it's still in the family and if you got a lot of cards in exchange for just that one, you very well may have gotten a fair deal not just practicality-wise but economically too.
Well, I attach sentimental value to these things too. =3= It's long gone since I traded with a friend back then at her house.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh, I thought you meant you traded it to your brother. I see what you were saying. Well ... I wouldn't sweat it too bad. 1st Edition Machamp is honestly probably worth less than regular Charizard simply because the latter collectors still had no surefire way of getting (so they had to spend gobs of money on booster packs) whereas the former, as stated previously, there was a surefire (and in fact the only) way of getting. So it could be worse. There are worse things to have given away than a 1st Edition Machamp.

You still get a *pat pat* though.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Oh, I thought you meant you traded it to your brother. I see what you were saying. Well ... I wouldn't sweat it too bad. 1st Edition Machamp is honestly probably worth less than regular Charizard simply because the latter collectors still had no surefire way of getting (so they had to spend gobs of money on booster packs) whereas the former, as stated previously, there was a surefire (and in fact the only) way of getting. So it could be worse. There are worse things to have given away than a 1st Edition Machamp.

You still get a *pat pat* though.
I also feel a little bad since I begged my brother to let me have it to begin with. ^^; Should've taken better care of it since I assumed responsibity. =x

Oh, well. I was a kid back then. XP I'm sure he understands.

P.S. Thanks for the pat. <3
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I had a few first editions; most were originally my brother's, who is five years older than I am. I don't have them anymore, and most of them were just normal cards. Not Charizard or anything, I don't think.

We were caught up in Pokemania so bad. We used to play a game where we watched the Pokerap (we had episodes, Pokerap inclusive, recorded with a VCR), drew Pokemon, and then role-played and battled with the ones we drew.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
Well, look out here. Reporting in as a veteran of Base/ Jung / TR / Gym / Neo era. I have many of my old cards stored away somewhere, though I'd have to look and see what I've got.

So yeah, I'm also available for Redshark, if anyone wants to play a few pickup games. I don't really like the actual format since everything is ridiculously OP, but if you're in for a Neo Gym TR / Base Jungle Fossil, or any combination of those, I'm game.

Though I could also get my arse into learning the actual format. I'll see after work.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

Hmm, I remember using Redshark way back, at least 6 months after I got back into the card game. So if people wanted to decide on a set format (eg. Unlimited (any set), pre-B/W rules, etc... I'd ideally just work pre-B/W anyway since they only have 2 sets on Redshark and there's been 4 more, I think, since that set) then we could fire up a few games. I especially miss some of the old cards because they never really got much of a chance.
Also, since everyone's chiming in with their history... I got a few cards when they first came out. I think my first cards were the Brushfire Theme Deck, but I never had the opportunity or the money (back then we didn't really get any pocket money ) to get many more. I especially remember my 4th ever booster pack being from the Team Rocket era because I pulled a Dark Charizard holo, which I thought was the best thing ever (I still have it, but in a more battered and worn form because I used it in decks). Other than that, I only got cards every once in a blue moon until I stopped getting them altogether, which was around the time of the Legendary Collection because I had one rev holo from that set.
After that, I didn't get back into the game until I was in college and working. One of the more senior people in the small kitchen I worked in was talking about how her sons were getting obsessed with Pokemon cards and, well, then next time I picked up a game (Pokemon Ranger, Shadows of Almia \o/) I picked up a single Stormfront Booster pack... And I was hooked. The pack turned into a Theme Deck, followed by more packs and eventually I was building decks but had no-one to play against. That lead me to leagues, pre-releases and tournaments...

And I do miss all the rotated cards that I learnt to love when I started playing the game again. They were so broken in comparison to the old cards (some of which are getting re-prints *cough*ComputerSearch*cough*) but there were some that were just so fun to use because they were unique within the format... Although there are some mechanics that can go die in a fiery pit. Yes, I'm looking at you Pokemon SP *shudders*

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2
Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

Just in case anyone cares (and because this thread seems to have just died after 5 days), I was at my local league for the pre-release for the next set, Boundaries Crossed. Also, there's a strong chance that today may have been my last week at league until next year
For anyone who doesn't know, the pre-release format is really simple to understand and is hugely varied. The basics of it is that you get 6 packs of boosters for a set price, which is cheaper than it would be to buy them individually (we get it at Ł20). And from the cards you pull from those packs, which can either be complete chod (not sure how many people know/use this word outside of leagues...) or pure gold (and in some cases *cough*metoday*cough* simple chod can work like pure gold), you build a 40 card deck including energy which your league usually supplies. Then you have a very simple tournament, which is fun because no-one's being competitive or serious, and at the end, you find out how you did and get another two boosters for prizes as well as a Promo card and a box to keep any deck in (although when I first started, they gave you 60 card sleeves which was infinitely better).

But yeah, on to today/yesterday (since it's past midnight here) I did get pretty much complete chod, or so it seemed. The best, useable card that I pulled was one of the Ace Spec Trainers, which is a new mechanic of powerful cards but you're only allowed one Ace Spec in the entire deck (like the old star/shiny cards). That card was Computer Search, like the old base set version but you can't use that card in place of it for tournaments because it doesn't have the Ace Spec details on it (moar ). Aside from that, I pulled a Secret Rare card, the Golurk from a past set but in an AWESOME shiny version... Okay, the picture/colours aren't awesome looking, but the rest of the card is and they have really stepped up their secret rare designs. But to break my deck down, it consisted of a boat-load of trainers (that doesn't happen often because most of the time, sets are stingy with Trainer cards), Raticate, Mandibuzz, Golduck, Skarmory and Delibird... As opposed to the person who was considered the luckiest person in the tournament, who pulled two Keldeo EX cards, one full art, one regular, and just put them in the deck with water energy and any draw/disruption trainers they had. I had some incredible games though, my first two matches I KO'd 5 pokemon with just a Delibird (first match ending after 2 KO's) and the rest using everyone else and my only loss was in the last round against my friend with the uber godlike pulls (which was a lot closer than you'd think considering he'd won every match up until then as well... Basically, if he hadn't drawn his second Keldeo EX then I would have won the game on that one turn. But he did and I lost.). And I ended up in 4th place, because of the results of my earlier opponents
But, on the plus side, in my prize boosters, I managed to pull Black Kyurem EX full art. Which brought my total of good pulls up to the best Ace Spec, Secret Rare Golurk and FA Black Kyurem EX. (This was also my 5th pre-release in a row where I'd gotten an EX somewhere in it)

In comparison, I had another friend who had horrible games, horrible yet similar pulls (he had the Gold Potion Ace Spec and Secret Rare Rocky Helmet, Rocky Helmet being better than Golurk, just though) and in his prizes he pulled the standard Celebii EX.

All in all, I had a nice day for what could potentially be my last day at league for just over 2 months.

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2
Old 11-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

This Saturday will likely be my first time playing against someone not related to me.

Hey, uh, Yougi, could you explain how rotation works to me? ;^_^
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #25
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

That really depends on what you mean by 'works'. Simple answer is, it doesn't. It always induces a lot of rage and plenty of people are upset. Expect for Pokemon, they get more money from it so they're happy.
I'll need a better idea of what you want to know before I can be any real help... Assuming I get to you around my new job an NaNo (I will, but it may be delayed slightly).

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON