UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #426
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 144:

Spoiler: show
Once again, almost one week late. Sorry. This is what happens when you're busy and you get your feelings off your chest within minutes of finishing the episode on Skype. I took notes as I watched this episode, so in a way I have no excuse for the lateness of this post. Sorry. -.- Consulting those notes, here we go!

The Next Chairman: I was surprised at the top of the episode when they seemed to be hinting that Cheadle would be the next Chairman. Then we get to the climax of the episode with Leorio's speech and it's once again clear as crystal that Togashi is flirting with the idea of Leorio becoming the next Chairman.

I'm still a little disappointed that Togashi seems to be re-routing Leorio like this from medical student to bureaucrat. But I appreciate the seeds Togashi seems to have planted this week. We all know that Leorio's motivation for becoming a doctor is that he wants to make a positive difference in the world -- more specifically, he wants to do his part to ensure that people don't have to die the way that childhood friends of his died. Togashi suggests this week that if Leorio were to become the Chairman, he would enjoy the support of many pro-grade Hunters. These Hunters could in turn help him to accomplish the very goals he was hoping to accomplish as a doctor. Putting it one way, "If my first option is to fight Ebola all on my own as a doctor in the field, and if my second option is to become the head of the NIH and be in a position of power where I can order 2,000 trained physicians to go fight the Ebola outbreak, which is better? Where am I effecting more good?" Togashi hints that Leorio, in the Chairman's seat, could actually accomplish his goals better than he could if he were to pass the board exam and become a licensed physician. If we roll with that idea, then I guess I can be happy with the idea that Leorio abandons medicine for bureaucracy. But otherwise, I'm a little unhappy with it still. :\

The Final Vote: The fact that the voters can't leave this time until they finally do elect a chairman is an interesting plot development at this juncture but one which I had assumed would have been the case ages ago if ever it was going to be.

Cameo Appearances: ALL OF THE ALLY CAMEOS. I was just thinking to myself the other day how we haven't seen Knuckle in a while. Suddenly we see Knuckle and Palm and Ikalgo and Meleoron and Goreinu and Bisky and Senritsu ... everyone's doing their part to help out Killua.

Why hello, Gon: At the commercial break, I couldn't help but to wonder: what if Nanika makes requests of the comatose Gon? ^^;;;;; After all, the last thing she did was grant a wish ... meaning that next up is her newest set of requests. We haven't seen her make requests of anyone yet, and so ... what if she latches onto Gon? ^^;;;; That'd be one hell of a dark plot twist for a story arc that's been relatively light hearted up 'til now.

Pariston: Not too much to say about him other than that, like Hisoka, he seems to be the sort of person who is in it for the lols. I decided to use him for this week's banner pic because I got a bit overly worried about spoilers and decided Pariston would be safer than Leorio.

Leorio's Speech: It was amusing. But I actually found Cheadle's response far more interesting.

Cheadle: I enjoy the sound of her voice. I'm not exactly sure why, but she must have voiced a character I loved in an earlier anime or something. I hadn't really noticed it until this week though. But whenever she'd get irritated, it activated all of my moe senses for sure.

More importantly, I liked the development that Cheadle has warmed up to the idea of serving Leorio. She really is a dog, isn't she? ^^;

You Promised Debates!: Kinda disappointed that we legitimately got to hear some speeches, even if they were brief, but that when they mentioned we'd be heading into debates next we only got like two minutes of one discussion point between Pariston and Mizaistom before we fast forwarded to the Hunters casting their ballots. Was kinda looking forward to the arguments that were going to be put forth during the debate, what sorts of questions the audience might have had for the candidates, etc. :\ Oh well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:05 AM   #427
Lauren
Pokemon Trainer

The next manga chapter was annonced after about 2 years of break (since August 2014), it resumes starting from 18 April 2016..
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #428
deoxys
Fog Badge

I finally got around to watching this about two weeks ago. On Saturday, I marathoned the entirety of the Yorkshin City Arc start to finish - and today I've watched Phantom Rogue and the first few episodes of the Greed Island Arc.

This show is so damn good. I should never have been so dismissive of it in the past (for various reasons). The characters are so great and the soundtrack, dear lord is that soundtrack incredible. I never get tired of hearing any of the songs no matter how repetitive it gets.

Probably the best (long form) shonen I've seen (though I still have a few hundred One Piece episodes I have to catch up on). I understand now why it's rated so highly on MAL. This show makes Naruto look like a bargain-bin Hunter x Hunter (although perhaps the two shouldn't be compared, though you can certainly draw a lot of parallels between the two).

This is one of those shows I don't want to end for a while. Luckily there are still about a hundred episodes left, but I know I'm gonna be hit (once again) with a hard post-anime depression when this series draws to its conclusion. I'm even more upset with the idea that the author may never get to properly bring the curtains down on this story due to his health. I certainly hope that isn't the case, but after reading what Talon said about this being a five act story, and we've only scratched the surface, I fear I may have to accept the author was in over his head and that we may never see an ending proper.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:37 AM   #429
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When you reach the end, you will see with clarity how everything up through the final episode forms the first act of a classic five-act play.

For you to read only after you've finished the show:

• Act I introduces characters, sets stages, etc. Togashi ...
- has introduced Chrollo Lucifer and then done nothing with him
- has teased Hisoka's identity but not yet revealed it
- has alluded to one of two possible fates for Gon and Killua: either The Fox & The Hound or else the children surpassing their parents and maintaining a real friendship
- has introduced the world tournament and then done nothing with it
- has introduced Senritsu, given us her backstory, but not taken us on her adventure
- has set the stage in Act I for a Dark Kurapica in Act II
- introduces a literally entire new world but doesn't take us there yet

• Act I, in whetting our appetites for an adult Gon, all but promises we will get there one day (in theory). One possible breakdown would be:
- Act I: 10-year old Gon
- Act II: 17-year old Gon
- Act III: 26-year old Gon (the one we briefly glimpsed)
- Act IV: 40-year old Gon
- Act V: 70-year old Gon

• Act I is very much "how the boys met." If you've seen JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, this is very much "how Jonathan and Dio met," ending right before the events of JJBA Episode 03. This 100-plus episode treatment is a long-form look at the relationship between Gon Freecs and Killua Zoldyck.

• Alluka/Nanika is too broken for the story to work longterm. This signals that (s)he'll be killed at some point. Act II is a prime location for this to happen, narratively. Can serve to drive Killua down a dark path. Can also serve to drive a wedge between him and Gon.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 AM   #430
Connor
Flashbacker

Happy to see people are still enjoying this so much. It's a series I've found myself coming back to one more than one occasion, which is staggeringly rare for me, and I always enjoy it despite knowing how things pan out.

Got to agree with Deo on the music too. Every piece is something which not only works as a standalone piece, but it actively intensifies the feelings that the show is trying to evoke. It gets all the ranges, from upbeat comedy to "things just went south" sinister.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #431
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I have a feeling VGM will claim Chimera Ants are the best arc ever.

Not that that's bad, but opinions are all over the place I've found, fitting nicely into two extreme camps: "Love it" or "Hate it".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #432
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I have a feeling VGM will claim Chimera Ants are the best arc ever.

Not that that's bad, but opinions are all over the place I've found, fitting nicely into two extreme camps: "Love it" or "Hate it".
I dunno. That's how one of my friends feels about it ("The Chimera Ant arc is where stuff really goes down, you're not too far from that now"), but personally for me I think it's going to be hard to top Yorkshin City... though Greed Island so far has my full attention with how interesting it is (it heavily reminds me of Noah's Arc from Yu-Gi-Oh!, but with all of the rules and limitations of the Hunter x Hunter universe, which so far is very fun), so perhaps Greed Island could even surpass Yorkshin, it definitely has the potential to depending on the direction it takes.

Looking forward to reading and responding to Talon's spoiler when I finish within two to three weeks.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #433
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I think it's going to be hard to top Yorkshin City... though Greed Island so far has my full attention with how interesting it is
Biscuit Krueger is my waifu favorite character in the show. ED3 is also one of the best endings. Finally, a certain 3v1 hinted at by the OP credits is unforgettably good.

Get to Episode 72, and then you can click this:

Episode 70, ~12:00 to ~15:00.

Episode 71, 5:44 to 7:55.

Two of my favorite moments in the entire show.

Excellent use of one of the best tracks in the series. Used to give me goosebumps whenever I'd watch these scenes, but I've watched 'em so many times over the years now that the response is a little dulled. :') Still, that's okay. They remain amazing scenes. And the best part of the song (starts at 3m45s) is one of my favorite compositions in any anime, period. So good.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #434
deoxys
Fog Badge

So I'm a handful of episodes into Chimera Ant and I'm really not enjoying it yet. I like Kite, and more Ponzu is always good (she is definitely a bae), that's about it. I'm sure it will pick up or change given the length of the arc. Given I'm only a handful of episodes in, I'm not sure I can make good judgment calls yet, but I can't shake the crazy amount of DBZ's Cell Saga vibes I'm getting.

edit:

Talon, I definitely appreciated those moments when they happened, it's a song you don't hear very often. Personally, for as often as it plays, I'm a sucker for Latent Power/Auras and Mystic Land. That synth just gives me chills every time, and when Mystic Land plays, you know shit's about to go down.

Also big shout out to 'All I need is MONEY!', AKA Leorio's theme. Easily one of my favorites.

Last edited by deoxys; 10-10-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #435
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It took a long time to fall in love with it during broadcast. Because of that, it's hard to say how soon you'll come around. I can say that a big, big turning point for me was one you're dozens of episodes away from. Specifically ...

Episode 111.

I already quite enjoyed the arc by this point. But this point stands out in my memory as where things went from good/great to great/epic.

Incidentally, if you are reading the thread as you watch (because yay time capsule ), I highly advise you to skip over Page 13 / post 306 onwards. Doppel ruined the show there with a "HERE'S HOW IT ENDS!" spoiler that all these years later still stands, a testament to his inability to discuss a story with a newcomer without spoiling them when he himself is not a newcomer. I boycotted the thread for a long time. He swore up and down I was wrong to think that he had given away the ending. He lied. And when it became apparent, I abandoned the thread again, this time permanently (i.e. until after the show was done).

If you don't mind spoilers, then feel free to peruse it when you get there. For me, the spoiler all but ruined the final arc. (Ruined in the sense that while I still enjoyed it it easily lost two points of enjoyment out of a possible ten every week.)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #436
deoxys
Fog Badge

I am actually reading the thread as I go yeah, thanks for the heads up. There have been times I've wanted to quote someone or speculate at what will happen based on someone else's post, but I've decided against it as a. I'm pseudo-marathoning the show, and b. given it's years later and the show has completed, quoting outdated posts and talking at your past selves wouldn't really do much for the state of the thread or its discussion.

I did have a question though, while I'm at it. When should I watch "The Last Mission"? I heard it was a great movie and actually has some impact on the actual story(?) I've seen conflicting reports that it should be watched prior to CA, and others that say to do it right after.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #437
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Is that the second movie? If so, I never watched it. ^^; Either film, actually. The first one seemed to be an original story, not one based on the source material, so I skipped over it. The second one also I think was a new screenplay not based on the manga, giving a lot of attention to one particular character.

IIRC that second movie came out right around the time the Chimera Ant arc ends. While its events take place before the arc's finale (I just looked it up), I feel like it would be best to watch it after since I seem to remember it coming out immediately after.

Not gonna lie: plot summary on Wikipedia made it seem like a typical Shounen Jump movie. ^^; "Shadow Hunters" vs. "Light Hunters" ... But hey, if you heard it's good, then enjoy.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #438
Connor
Flashbacker

I personally haven't watched the movie and I don't think it took away from my enjoyment of the show as a whole, be it anime or manga.

However I just felt the need to post voicing absolute approval for the liking of Leorio's theme. Love the character, and his music suits him down to a T.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #439
GrJackass
Night Man

be honest with me. i've been a fan of the anime for a while but i'm at a certain point that just kind of killed me and i want to know if i should bother continuing

I'm where i'd imagine being towards the end of the Chimera ant saga
Right after the poor man's rose.

is it worth it to continue or is this basically the decline of the show?

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #440
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post
be honest with me. i've been a fan of the anime for a while but i'm at a certain point that just kind of killed me and i want to know if i should bother continuing

I'm where i'd imagine being towards the end of the Chimera ant saga
Right after the poor man's rose.

is it worth it to continue or is this basically the decline of the show?
You are so close to the end that it is very much worth it to finish just so you can get to the end of Act I and see what the hell I'm talking about when I say "This story is nowhere even close to as done as Togashi must have had templated in his head when he first sat down to start writing." Like ... (both of these parent-level spoiler boxes are meant for you to click, Gr)

After the event you speak of, there are two pretty touching scenes that wrap up the arc. One of which is so hilariously well-crafted that it has made me bawl, b-a-w-l bawl every time I watch it.

Without divulging how many arcs remain between where you stopped watching and the end of Part I, I can say that you are seriously close to the end of the series (which is to say Part I of a much larger series that will likely not be finished before Togashi passes away ).

Mini-spoiler, I guess, but it's the sort of thing you're explicitly asking for:

I would say that, finite moments aside like the two I mentioned above, you have already reached the peak of Act I's excitement. You put the show down around the denouement portion for Chimera Ants, and the following arc(s) isn't/aren't quite as good as Yorknew City, Greed Island, or Chimera Ants were. Kind of a bummer to end on a relative "low note" like that, but it's not really a low note. On an absolute scale instead of a relative one, it's/they're still (a) very enjoyable, rather exciting arc(s) that provide(s) a lot to love.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #441
GrJackass
Night Man

if i'm that close i guess i'll give it a watch thanks for the info

but is there going to be a new series or something now? or is it just like.... over for the time being?

My favorite episode in this story arc had to be
the episode when that "black hole spy" infiltrated the ant's castle. it was so intense!

Black Hole SPY~ WONT YOU CO~ME AND WASH AWAY THE RAAAAIN~

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #442
deoxys
Fog Badge

So I just finished HxH.

I have a lot of feelings right now, nothing cohesive. The last three episodes were an emotional roller coaster.

I totally bawled my eyes out a few times. I have things I want to say, but only once I've digested everything. I think this may be the best shonen I've seen. It gets so many things right, and does so many things better than others. Granted, perhaps the list of shonen I've followed isn't to impressive to begin with - One Piece, Naruto, Dragonball, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu Yu Hakusho, Attack on Titan(?), that's pretty much all I can name. Out of the aforementioned, I probably enjoyed One Piece the most - at least what I've seen of it so far. But I can't help but shake the feeling that HxH is on an entirely different level from all of those. I don't know what to say. I need more HxH, but I know that's a tall order, and I should probably keep my expectations fairly low.

Wow. Not much more to say right now... other than wow.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #443
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
So I just finished HxH.
Time for you to read the rest of this post, then.

Quote:
I totally bawled my eyes out a few times.
The one that got me the worst, and that continues to get me the worst every time is:

Spoiler for Episode 136 of Hunter x Hunter:

BORKED

The scene where Reina returns home.

Everything about this scene is perfect, perfectly put together to make you feel what they want you to feel here. The music. The voice acting. The dialogue. The animation. Everything. Every bit of it, perfect.

But in what I like to think is a not-so-distant second, we have:

Spoiler for Episode 131 of Hunter x Hunter:

Neferpitou's death. Togashi does an expert job of making you fall in love with the character you thought impossible to love only forty episodes prior, only to kill her (him? whatever ) in such a cruel manner. It's sad. It's a sad scene. Pitou did a lot of terrible things. But man if there wasn't some grand role reversal there towards the end of the Chimera Ant arc, with Pitou becoming the adorable protagonist in peril.

Quote:
I think this may be the best shonen I've seen. It gets so many things right, and does so many things better than others. Granted, perhaps the list of shonen I've followed isn't to impressive to begin with. [...] But I can't help but shake the feeling that HxH is on an entirely different level from all of those.
As I advertised it to AK2 several years ago, "it's Naruto done right." Or maybe it was "It's Naruto done well." "Right", "well", whatever: Hunter x Hunter is surprisingly similar to Naruto, in so many ways, but ultimately manages to stand above its more popular counterpart's shoulders in terms of objective critical quality.

I don't think it has to be a competition, though. Sure, there will always be winners and losers, superiors and inferiors, but like ... I don't think one has to necessarily justify why Hunter x Hunter is the best shounen story of all time, nor do I think that one has to apologize for thinking it less than that. I don't know that I would put it ahead of Hikaru no Go, but then again I feel like Hikaru no Go is the white-haired wunderkind of the classroom who sits by himself in the corner and be's valedictorian. He's not like the other kids. Hunter x Hunter is like the other kids, and is certainly one of the best (if not the best) of their bunch.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #444
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Something big is going to happen in the next Hunter x Hunter chapter. Togashi's editor has taken to Twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
It's been a long time since I almost started crying reading a manuscript.

The best chapter ever...

I'm here to witness the history of Manga changing right here, right now.
Big words!

My guess is a main character is going to die. That's the only thing I could think of that would elicit such a response.

Anyone more in-the-know?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #445
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Anyone more in-the-know?
I'm not your man. Avoiding spoilers. And I'll be honest: with how little has been written in the past five years (vs. how much made it into HxH 2011 from the eleven years that preceded it and two years that followed), I would be surprised if we're already at the point in the story where he's prepared to start killing off mains. If anyone's to die, it will be a side character the audience greatly cares about

(e.g. Biscuit Krueger, Senritsu)

before it turns to a main character.

My opinion remains that HxH 2011 constitutes one entire "act" in a five-act play, particularly given multiple plot points that occur in the final few story arcs. I would be hugely surprised if either

Killua or Kurapica

died in Act 2 of the story, and I think such a death would be required of the big claim that we're "witnessing the history of manga changing". I also would not personally chalk up any one person's death as "the history of manga changing." We had a chance for that early on in Attack on Titan, but we've never really had that opportunity in Hunter x Hunter. As enjoyable as the story is, it is pretty formulaic shounen at its core.

I think it's mostly talk. One would expect Togashi's editor, when taking to Twitter, to hype up his client's product. It may well be that the newest chapter coming out is exciting and possibly even delivers a plot climax relative to the current plot arc, but I very much doubt it's anything on par with the most emotional and gut-wrenching of scenes witnessed in Act 1 of the story. The only way it would be that, is if we're nearing the end of Act 2 already and either a) Act 2 happens to be a much shorter act than Act 1 or else b) Togashi has been pumping out Act 2 chapters much faster than I am aware and giving him credit for.

"The best chapter ever," this is the sort of thing that even hardcore fans of HxH can't agree upon for Act 1. People point to:

Gon vs. Neferpitou, they point to Komugi and Meruem in the basement, they point to Meruem vs. Netero, they point to Alluka's final tearful scene with Killua in the election arc, they point to Kurapica vs. Uvogin or Chrollo ... Even within the Chimera Ant arc alone, there are so many "favorite moments", from (and in addition to the aforementioned ones) Reina's return home to Bisky's return appearance to Knuckle and Shoot vs. Menthuthuyoupi ...

People are not agreed on what constitutes "the best chapter" in Hunter x Hunter. And so when you have an editor making a big claim like "BEST CHAPTER EVER", it requires big evidence to back it up. I would encourage optimism but also a healthy dose of skepticism.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #446
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yo, I read the recent chapter and I think this is what the editor was talking about. At least, it makes much more sense than the chapter released during the week of the tweet.

Not gonna say anything, but the tweet was accurate. Not a bullseye, but it wasn't just hype.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime