UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

UPN youtube channel

So it's been a year or so since I last asked this question, but how many of you think we should have a UPN youtube channel? I myself would be glad to do one, but I believe to do it correctly we need multiple things including Channel Art, support, and of course, Content. So do you guys like the idea? Any opinions?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

I guess I don't really understand what kind of content a youtube channel would have or provide for UPN that we don't already have access to on the forums
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I don't know. Unless we did videos specifically for the main site, individual channels probably make more sense, and as we all know, the main site hasn't been updated in years. The forums is the lifeblood and there's not a lot of video content we could generate about the forums itself.

I know some of our members have their own YT channels. Someone does AMVs, others do LPs, others have videos of themselves doing stuff, but it's not specific to UPN.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
swampert28

A youtube channel would give easy access to all of UPN's videos. I also believe streams could go there, so people who missed them could watch them all at a later date.

The Youtube channel would not be on the UPN as a whole, but different things including PASBL, Anime, pokemon battles, and Fun montages could go on it.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If this is about your videos, Swampy, I'm sorry to say but your videos aren't going to get any more views under the wing of a UPN YouTube account than they are right now. If it's not about your videos, then okay, but I don't really understand why you're pushing for a UPN YouTube channel.

A few weeks ago, I considered making an educational channel for the board. I was going to make a YouTube account named something along the lines of UPN University or some such, and I was going to:
  1. upload some homemade audio recordings of some texts with educational merit
  2. open the channel up to others to upload educational videos of their own
I ended up not doing this, but my reason for wanting to make the channel remained: that I thought it'd be a beneficial community project. Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing any similar sort of vision with your proposal. You seem to be saying "Let's make a UPN YouTube channel! " just for the hell of it without any real direction guiding that action. This is why I suspect you really only want the UPN community channel to try and drum up views for your own videos -- "Maybe if strangers on YouTube get interested in a video one of the other UPNers makes then they'll check out what the channel has to offer and will watch my videos as well! " -- rather than perceiving a real need for a new channel.

Here's the thing: who on UPN makes YouTube videos? You've made some over the past couple of years. Deoxys has made three or four that he's shared here. I've made a very minor number I've shared here (and most have not been original content either). And I think phoopes has uploaded one or two recordings of him playing piano. Other than the four of us, I honestly can't even think of anyone who's posted links to YouTube videos that they themselves uploaded. In other words, I don't really see why there'd be a need for a community channel. We're not exactly a community of YouTube uploaders.

Here's the other thing: you say that "a YouTube channel would give easy access to all of UPN's videos." As though we upload videos with any sort of cohesiveness or relation to one another. ^^; And you say try to drum up support by namedropping the ASB, the Anime forum, Pokémon battles, and so on, but like ...
  • What videos does the ASB produce? None (afaik).
  • What videos does Anime produce? None. We link to videos. We don't make videos.
  • What videos does the PO+PS thread produce? Tons! But they're all replays hosted on PS's server. Ripping them to a YouTube format would be far more effort than it's worth.
  • What DS or 3DS Pokémon battle recordings have members here uploaded? Zero! Few of us have the hardware to transfer battle replays from a legal game cartridge to the computer for uploading to YouTube, and the few who do don't do it. Clearly. 'Cause no one here uploads DS or 3DS battle replays. ^^;
Like, your arguments would be more compelling if they didn't sound like they were desperate grabs at thin air. I dunno. Not trying to be mean about this, but this really does sound like you just want a community channel in the naive hopes that someone else's video is going to make it big (spoiler: chances are very low on this) and that this will then draw viewers to your videos (spoiler: chances are very low on this).

Do I think UPN could enjoy a YouTube channel? Absolutely. Do I think you have the right vision for one at the present time? No, I don't. ^^; These are the sorts of things I could see happening, but only if and when they did happen would it be appropriate to talk about making a community channel:
  • If Mercutio's cooking thread took off even more than it has so far, and if two or more members started uploading well-edited (for amateurs) cooking tutorial videos. Then it might make sense to see about the 2+ members aggregating their videos together under the label of "UPN Cafe" or "UPN Bistro" or something, I dunno.
  • If I started making instructional videos for a self-study Japanese course you could take at home, and if Amras did the same thing with Latin, and if Jerichi did the same thing with Spanish, and we all decided that rather than going it alone it might be fun and clever to make a "UPN University" or "UPN Foreign Languages" channel or something.
  • If Yuki started making AMVs again, and if she were joined by Hanatori and Kindrindra, and if they decided that rather than going it alone it might be more fun to make a little "AMV clan", so to speak, with all of their videos under the same label. (But this seems so unlikely! ^^; People want positive credit for their artwork and they don't want negative credit for others'!)
  • If it were easier to convert PS replays into YouTube videos, then it might be fun for UPN to have a competitive Pokémon clan and for the clan members to upload their best videos to the clan's shared account.
But I don't feel like you have anything like this right now. I feel like you're the only one right now trying desperately to get noticed on YouTube while the rest of the forum either a) is with the majority who never upload to YouTube or b) is with the minority of four or five members who do upload to YouTube but do so exceedingly rarely.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Perhaps a more practical plan would be to have a collective thread where people can post their own YT videos (and I mean videos that they had some hand in creating, not just things they'd like to share, since we have the Going to Hell thread for that). I personally always feel pretty awkward posting AMVs in my art thread since I figure people expect/want to see drawings or sprites instead (although I would consider AMVs an art form). LPs and streams are even further removed from the subject of "artistic" creativity, but could fall under a catch-all visual/audio entertainment (or education) category. Music compositions could be included too, so they don't get lost in the "What are you listening to?" thread.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 10-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
swampert28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
If this is about your videos, Swampy, I'm sorry to say but your videos aren't going to get any more views under the wing of a UPN YouTube account than they are right now. If it's not about your videos, then okay, but I don't really understand why you're pushing for a UPN YouTube channel.

A few weeks ago, I considered making an educational channel for the board. I was going to make a YouTube account named something along the lines of UPN University or some such, and I was going to:
  1. upload some homemade audio recordings of some texts with educational merit
  2. open the channel up to others to upload educational videos of their own
I ended up not doing this, but my reason for wanting to make the channel remained: that I thought it'd be a beneficial community project. Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing any similar sort of vision with your proposal. You seem to be saying "Let's make a UPN YouTube channel! " just for the hell of it without any real direction guiding that action. This is why I suspect you really only want the UPN community channel to try and drum up views for your own videos -- "Maybe if strangers on YouTube get interested in a video one of the other UPNers makes then they'll check out what the channel has to offer and will watch my videos as well! " -- rather than perceiving a real need for a new channel.

Here's the thing: who on UPN makes YouTube videos? You've made some over the past couple of years. Deoxys has made three or four that he's shared here. I've made a very minor number I've shared here (and most have not been original content either). And I think phoopes has uploaded one or two recordings of him playing piano. Other than the four of us, I honestly can't even think of anyone who's posted links to YouTube videos that they themselves uploaded. In other words, I don't really see why there'd be a need for a community channel. We're not exactly a community of YouTube uploaders.

Here's the other thing: you say that "a YouTube channel would give easy access to all of UPN's videos." As though we upload videos with any sort of cohesiveness or relation to one another. ^^; And you say try to drum up support by namedropping the ASB, the Anime forum, Pokémon battles, and so on, but like ...
  • What videos does the ASB produce? None (afaik).
  • What videos does Anime produce? None. We link to videos. We don't make videos.
  • What videos does the PO+PS thread produce? Tons! But they're all replays hosted on PS's server. Ripping them to a YouTube format would be far more effort than it's worth.
  • What DS or 3DS Pokémon battle recordings have members here uploaded? Zero! Few of us have the hardware to transfer battle replays from a legal game cartridge to the computer for uploading to YouTube, and the few who do don't do it. Clearly. 'Cause no one here uploads DS or 3DS battle replays. ^^;
Like, your arguments would be more compelling if they didn't sound like they were desperate grabs at thin air. I dunno. Not trying to be mean about this, but this really does sound like you just want a community channel in the naive hopes that someone else's video is going to make it big (spoiler: chances are very low on this) and that this will then draw viewers to your videos (spoiler: chances are very low on this).

Do I think UPN could enjoy a YouTube channel? Absolutely. Do I think you have the right vision for one at the present time? No, I don't. ^^; These are the sorts of things I could see happening, but only if and when they did happen would it be appropriate to talk about making a community channel:
  • If Mercutio's cooking thread took off even more than it has so far, and if two or more members started uploading well-edited (for amateurs) cooking tutorial videos. Then it might make sense to see about the 2+ members aggregating their videos together under the label of "UPN Cafe" or "UPN Bistro" or something, I dunno.
  • If I started making instructional videos for a self-study Japanese course you could take at home, and if Amras did the same thing with Latin, and if Jerichi did the same thing with Spanish, and we all decided that rather than going it alone it might be fun and clever to make a "UPN University" or "UPN Foreign Languages" channel or something.
  • If Yuki started making AMVs again, and if she were joined by Hanatori and Kindrindra, and if they decided that rather than going it alone it might be more fun to make a little "AMV clan", so to speak, with all of their videos under the same label. (But this seems so unlikely! ^^; People want positive credit for their artwork and they don't want negative credit for others'!)
  • If it were easier to convert PS replays into YouTube videos, then it might be fun for UPN to have a competitive Pokémon clan and for the clan members to upload their best videos to the clan's shared account.
But I don't feel like you have anything like this right now. I feel like you're the only one right now trying desperately to get noticed on YouTube while the rest of the forum either a) is with the majority who never upload to YouTube or b) is with the minority of four or five members who do upload to YouTube but do so exceedingly rarely.
Okay, I'd like to make a few things clear. One, this has no benefit to my channel, and I did not even say one thing about people watching my videos. Two, I put some thought into this, and I may not have been clear. I believe that the channel could be a good project for the UPN, and pokemon battles could be put on the channel. Also it could be a fun way to announce things, and just plain have some fun. I mean, if it doesn't work out, the channel could just sit there.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Mercutio
Banned

I don't really see the need for a UPN youtube channel but, if it happens, I will reunite the entire Britpack and we will do amusing things. It will be glorious.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I don't really see the need for a UPN youtube channel but, if it happens, I will reunite the entire Britpack and we will do amusing things. It will be glorious.
We never did get around to Disney song covers, did we? Although I think Elsie and I recorded "Starly Eyed", a pokemon take off of Ellie Golding's Starry Eyed, over skype. Might still have that somewhere if we ever got beyond writing it (I clearly remember us writing it, and setting a time the next day to record, but don't recall the actual recording).

On topic, I agree with Talon insofar as I don't currently see the need or benefit for the UPN wide channel though.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just want to say, I'm sorry if I was rude or accusative. Also, I'm 100% in support of community projects. It's just that, from your first two posts, I didn't really see (or was not convinced of) your intent to actually see us do a community project with this channel rather than, y'know, creating a channel just for the hell of it.

What I'd say is ...
  1. If you really want to make this channel, and if you think the Field of Dreams mantra of "If you build it, they will come" would apply here, then ...
  2. ask Kuno
  3. if he lets you make the channel, cool; if he says he'd rather make it, let him; and if he says he'd rather you not make the channel period, then respect those wishes. Assuming he gives you the green light in one form or another ...
  4. Make the channel and good luck!
However, in my personal opinion, you'll hold off on making the channel until you feel there's a real reason to have one. In other words, I wouldn't subscribe to the Field of Dreams mentality with this one. Instead I'd subscribe to the "necessity is the mother of invention" mentality.

I love community YouTube channels. In fact, just today, I spent a good 3+ hours watching charity let's plays speed run attempts on SpeedDemosArchive's channel. SDA is a group of speed runners who individually have their own speed running projects, their own YouTube channels, their own followings, etc. Once each year (?), they get together IRL and host a webcam charity event where they take turns speed running on a live stream. Last year their charity was a cancer research one; this year it was Doctors Without Borders. Stuff like this is awesome to me. The Pokémon equivalent would be if the top four competitive OU players on Serebii, the top two on Bulbagarden, the top one here, and the top nine on Smogon all met IRL, had a live stream charity event, and held a tournament that was basically "the OU tournament you've always wanted but Nintendo won't give us." That would be sweet, and for such an event, a community YouTube channel would make good sense. After all, why should the videos be on Serebii Player #1's private channel? Or Serebii Player #2's? Or the UPN player's? They shouldn't be: they're jointly "owned" by everyone involved and so the best, coolest way to deal with that is to have the videos be on a group channel. That's what the SDA team does with their speed runs: when individual members of SDA do their "for realz" speed runs, they host them on their own private channels; but when they do their "for the lulz" charity speed runs, they host the videos on the charity YouTube channel. Makes perfect sense.

The thing is, we don't really have any need for an SDA-like YouTube channel. ^^; There's no videos I can think of that I make right now that I have any need to hand over to UPN and have be on the UPN channel. Conversely, I can't think of any of my past uploads which, were I to try and put them on the UPN channel, you guys wouldn't roll your eyes at me for and be like, "Talon! Quit using the community channel as your dumping ground for all your garbage. " I can think of videos we have yet to make that would fit on the UPN channel really well, but not any videos we've made so far.

Examples that come to mind that make perfect sense for a UPN channel:
  • Multiple UPNers meet IRL and record it using a digital video camera.
  • Two UPNers known for their competitive Pokémon skillz0rz have at it in a versus matchup. (For example, Talon vs. Daisy Random Battle #4093 since Talon, Daisy, and Yuki are known for their love of Challenge Cup and Random Battles. Well, at least we know each other for it. ¬¬)
  • Two or more UPNers get together and do a musical duet / trio / quartet / etc. (For example, one UPNer on piano and the other on violin.)
  • Two or more UPNers team up to do a Let's Play with two or more people.
The thing is, an awful lot of these could still probably be better covered by private channels co-owned by the parties involved. ^^; Like, for that last bullet? Why would you upload your videos to the UPN channel rather than trying to go it solo duo (that sounds weird) and become the next Game Grumps or something?

Anyway, if you decide you really want to do the channel, ask Kuno and good luck. Otherwise, maybe try and wait for a real need for the channel to emerge and then be delighted when necessity breeds invention and the channel is made and populated with lots of fun group videos.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
swampert28

Thanks Talon, I never said the channel would take off right away, I thought that it could be made, and a couple of videos, then afterwards we could take it more seriously sometimes down the road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork