Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #276
Red Panda
head head bitch

That's amazing.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #277
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Apparently the battle was one for the ages, too, if you were in the stream while it was happening. (Spoiler explanation follows.)

Spoiler: show
I don't find it nearly as exciting to watch TPP battles after the fact since a) they retain all of their annoyingness and b) there's zero anxiety about whether or not they're going to win. If you're watching the video on YouTube and it's called "Twitch beats Giovanni!", you know that they're going to win.

But something happened during the battle that would of course make it incredibly exciting for people who were watching live. What happened was, they apparently won by exactly 1 HP. If I understand correctly, they were down to their last Pokémon -- Pidgeot -- and it was in turn down to 1 HP. All Giovanni needed to do was land one more hit to win. He goes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ... misses. Pidgeot had spammed so many Sand Attacks earlier in the showdown that Rhydon kept missing attacks, including the final Stomp he used before he was knocked out by Bird Jesus.

That may not be quite right, but it was the impression I got from poring over the Reddit threads earlier today.

Definitely can't bear to watch them struggle with Victory Road though. Far too agonizing. I'll check back in -- along with the rest of the world, I'm sure! -- once they reach League headquarters.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #278
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

I think Bird Jesus was trending on twitter after that. And they're level grinding in Cinnabar. Helix is nearing evolution.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #279
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"What I see when we grind," offers one player.

Speaking of which, current team levels:
  • Pidgeot, 63
  • Zapdos, 62
  • Nidoking, 41
  • Omanyte, 39
  • Venomoth, 36
  • Lapras, 23
Looks like Omanyte is about to evolve!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #280
Stealthy

Glorious Helix Fossil has shown its final form. Also, they attempted Victory Road and made it past the ledge on their second try. In anarchy. Then promptly blacked out after like 7 wild battles because the birds can't do that much in there but still.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #281
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
Glorious Helix Fossil has shown its final form. Also, they attempted Victory Road and made it past the ledge on their second try. In anarchy. Then promptly blacked out after like 7 wild battles because the birds can't do that much in there but still.
I don't know what would possess someone to do this, but somebody faked a YouTube video showing Omanyte's evolution into Omastar. They released it only after it actually happened (okay) but the video depicts Omanyte having evolved into Omastar after reaching Level 40. Uhhhhhhhhh ... that didn't happen. I was there for Level 40 last night. B was hit a lot and the evolution was canceled within like half a second of starting. If I understand it correctly, he evolved today upon reaching Level 42 or 43? Either way, it's weird that someone went to the effort of forging a fake evolution video -- complete with the command screen on the right-hand side!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #282
Stealthy

I think it evolved at 41, but I didn't see it myself. It wouldn't be too hard to actually forge it... assuming you didn't go through the trouble of making the commands match up with the battle screen. Record a hacked rom of your own or something and it wouldn't be hard to splice it in.

That's still getting a bit too into this whole thing though
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #283
Emp
Volcano Badge

Yeah you think they'd do something better like, I don't know, release a fake video of Red releasing Bird Jesus

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #284
Mercutio
Banned

I love the internet.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #285
Sneaze
Mrow?

...they're fighting the Champion right now.

Scratch that, they lost.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #286
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This ...

Spoiler: show

... I like this.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #287
Red Panda
head head bitch

I like that a lot as well.

>Loses Bird Jesus and AAAAAAAAAA to Lorelei

Darn. Though Air took out Cloyster!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #288
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
And they wiped at Agatha's Gengar. They'll eventually succeed.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #289
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
Aaaand lost at Lance.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #290
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Fuck me, 4 down at Lorelei and Bird Judas is pretty much almost dead too. The chimps really need to have a proper answer to that ice bitch, and painfully they got some ULTRA BALLS for the E4. Because those are useful.

Unruly Premonition.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #291
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If they place Zapdos at the head of the party and use democracy to vote for Thunder all six times, they can beat Lorelei in six or seven turns.

But if they do this, they pretty much remove any of the remaining challenge of the run. Omanyte has proven more than enough to take down Bruno which means that Pidgeot is more than capable of taking down Agatha or Lance (the stream's choice) and Zapdos can handle the other one (again, stream's choice). I think part of what is making this run fun for those who are present in the stream is the challenge, even if it's a self-inflicted one, of trying to defeat Bruno, Agatha, Lance, and Blue despite the immense handicap in place on them after Lorelei weakens Zapdos and KOs Pidgeot.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #292
phoopes
Double Dragon

I just saw AA-j take out four Pokemon with 26 health, including an Onix against Bruno. Man, the AI in this game is bad, and that's what'll probably give them a chance at winning sometime.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #293
Charminions
Your reality is mine

Helix hasth gifted us with the divine Hydro Pump. Praise be Helix
Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #294
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Not just the AI, the E4 movesets are embarrassing. Lorelei's nastiest member is Lapras with Hydro Pump/Body Slam/Blizzard and Confuse Ray. Her other mons are 3 physical move Jynx with Ice Punch, Amnesia/Water Gun Slowbro, Growl/Rest/Take Down/Aurora Beam Dewgong (Problem 1) and A-Beam/Clamp/Spike Cannon/Supersonic Cloyster (problem 2).

Bruno is Bruno, and his Onix aren't worth mentioning. I mean, Rock Throw and Rage? Seriously? Hitmonchan does have Counter, mind you, but Hitmonlee and Machamp are disgraceful. Submission and Fissure means Champ ain't hitting much, and both have glitched Focus Energy.

Agatha is where the problems begin. Her ace Gengar has Toxic, all her ghosts know Night Shade for fixed damage, and all but Arbok have Confuse Ray...then we find her 60 Gengar with Dream Eater but no Hypnosis like her lower ghosts, her Arbok's best moves being Bite and Acid and the two confusion move plus Wing Attack Golbat.

Lance is legit scary though thanks to the presence of Hyper Beam on everything. Gyarados also runs a meaty Hydro Pump, and Aerodactyl is murderously fast and walled to hell by Lord Helix. His DRagonair supplement HB with Dragon Rage and Slam, while we all know why his Dragonite is a laugh with illegal Barrier.

Hell, the nastiest pair the champ has is Alakazam (self explanatory) and Blastoise. Exeggutor has 3 moves, Arcanine has a offensive set of Ember and Take Down, Rhydon does have Horn Drill but is Rock/Ground and his other damaging move is Fury Attack while Bird Lucifer gets 2 flying moves.

Unruly Premonition.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #295
Sneaze
Mrow?

Also the AI was so horrid back then that they'll literally use any SE move they have endlessly, even if it does no damage, which is why Dragonite spams Barrier against Venomoth. Red/Blue in having piss awful mechanics shocker.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #296
Stealthy

It's so bad that, not only did ATV manage to perfectly defeat a Dragonite, but I believe our partial-Rock type Lord Helix managed to singlehandedly defeat Bruno in one of the runs.

The trick, of course, is getting anarchy to properly abuse the crappy AI, but until then, well, this place is a just a massive XP farm. And an exercise in not sacrificing the Fonz or Bird Jesus to Lorelei.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #297
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
And an exercise in not sacrificing the Fonz or Bird Jesus to Lorelei.
Someone needs to create a Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves parody of Lorelei's Dewgong (Robin) kicking the Fonz's (Little John's) butt, and then at the end Lorelei or Dewgong asks if he yields and the Fonz goes "I CAN'T BLOODY SWIM!"

Alternatively, they could aim for the Mel Brooks version.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #298
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

WE DID IT \o/
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #299
Red Panda
head head bitch

The last portion of the game was surprisingly fast. The longest part in the back half I think would be the mansion on Cinnabar, but other than that we got through the rest pretty quickly.

Though on the stream there seems to be a mentioning of another game of this.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #300
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Congratulations to everyone who played.

Kind of a shame for American players that so many of the final accomplishments, including the beating of the game, took place in the early hours of the morning when most would be asleep. But that's the nature of an internationally-played game, I guess: some region's going to be asleep when a particular accomplishment is made.

Also kind of a shame that they're starting the next adventure just one day from now. Someone on Reddit had encouraged a two-week hiatus to allow everyone to take a break and to avoid cursing the second game with the fate of burnout. I think he had the right idea.

Finally, sort of a shame that he didn't at least allow them to try for Mewtwo. I know quite a few fans had been looking forward to that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON