UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #51
Red Panda
head head bitch

Here are the ones that I found:

Se Jun Park VS Omari Travis

Se Jun Park VS Jeudy Azzarelli (Masters Division Final)
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #52
Heather
Naga's Voice

So just as a thingy, if you were to make like Se Jun and have an underrated yet secretly amazing mascot for your team, which Pokémon would it be? I would probably try either Minun or Chatot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #53
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Minun has a niche in Triples.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #54
Heather
Naga's Voice

Playing Minun in Übers was hilarious as I named it "Random NU Poké" and did NastyThunderbolt all day. T'was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #55
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Oh man that made my day. Pachirisu took it home? Wow. I knew well enough that Pachi is the only one of the 'pikaclones' to have their stats defensively oriented, but wow. Just wooooooow. Reminds me of my success with Raticate. Simply stunning. Utterly stunning.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #56
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I'd probably take Exploud. Its strengths are known, but it's still very underrated. Plus it looks like a total badass as well.

And I mean there's Shuckle too but still!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #57
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

The way Se Jun made Pachi work so well is extremely surprising, and only reinforces why he deserved the win so much.
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #58
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Here's something interesting: all top 4 teams and not a MegaMom or MegaGar to be found.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Here's something interesting: all top 4 teams and not a MegaMom or MegaGar to be found.
To be fair, their teams all contain Mega Kangaskhan answers, indicating that her threat weighed on each of their minds.

Did some VGC 2014 battles last night for like ten, fifteen minutes. Accidentally did so on an alt I had been keeping away from VGC 2014 because I didn't want its rank page to get crowded by a bunch of formats. Oh well, too late. As I'm laddering, I look to see if I'll run into any players using Pachirisu. Sure enough I ran into one, but he didn't bring it to our match.

The Pokémon page you linked to gives me further confidence that they'll be releasing Pachirisu. Seeing as he's the creature who got the text shout out while Se Jun's ostensible star, Mega Gyarados, doesn't get any mention at all. (He didn't use it in the championship games, but reportedly -- and you can see this from its build as well -- it's his relied-upon sweeper.)

Slightly surprised to see no Bisharp. Intimidate is so common in VGC 2014 that many players where I reside use Bisharp to punish Intimidate leads and to play mind games with trainers who really would like to open with them.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #60
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

To be fair Bisharp doesn't hit anything Mega Mawile does, and Mega Mawile gets PLay Rough as well. As for Mega Gyarados, Se Jun didn't bring it because of Rotom-Mow, which doesn't fear EQ or Water Fall at all and can hit back with Leaf Storm and Electric attacks. It was too risky to bring
Squad Summary

Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #61
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Rotom Picture Time!

I promised pictures, and I deliver! Some of the pictures didn't come out well, especially the one of my taking the people on stage, mostly because I was too far back, but I hope you like them all the same!

Spoilered because so many pictures
Spoiler: show

Peepulz

I wonder what they're recording for?

Ray Rizzo in the blue near the back

Some balloons that I saw were pretty cool

Including Giant Pikachu balloons

Some cosplayers:

Leavanny!

Red!

Red dancing during the panoramic of the spectators

Ash Ketchup

Kyogre kid in LCQ

"Isn't this match up just slightly unfair?"

Pokeball on a Pokeball with Sableye on it?

Triple Pokeball-ception!

There was this Trading Card Game Online showcase on the outside

Mega Diancie!?

The line for the retail shop on Saturday

What you thought that was it?

Some kid who just left the shop told me it was a three hour line. I didn't doubt him

The autograph line with Junichi Masuda

Masuda during the closing ceremony

CONFETTI!!!

Green Light Rave

Squad Summary

Old 08-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #62
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Neat pictures. Seeing that Fennekin balloon reminds me of just how adorable Fennekin is. And of how disappointed I was with her evolutions' designs ...

At times, the convention hall looks a lot like an airport. I guess that shouldn't be surprising to me though. In a lot of ways, I guess an airport and a convention center are designed with more similar goals in mind than most other buildings. You can probably tell that I've not been to many conventions. Though I've been to a couple in my life. It's just, this convention hall in particular reminds me of a modern airport. *shrug*

Kind of surprised at just how much floor space there is though. I imagined the entire play area would have rectangular tables arranged length-wise like what we kept seeing in the trailer/commercial during breaks on the Twitch.tv stream. But instead, your photos depict some players playing at circular tables. And some of your other photos depict kids just sitting anywhere they please -- hallway floors, for example -- where they're trading cards, chitchatting, or taking a break.

Three-hour line to get Masuda's autograph, yeah, fuck that shit. ^^; Though if I weren't having a super fun time there otherwise, and if it weren't going to make me miss watching the Masters championship game live, then I'd probably very seriously consider the wait in line were it Ms. Nishida. Not just for the autograph, though, but for the chance to talk to her in Japanese, however briefly, and thank her for her work in the creature design department. I'd probably also bust out my cell phone while waiting in line to look back up which creatures we have soft confirmation of that she was the one who came up with their designs, and then when I was there talking to her, I'd ask her a) if she could confirm those claims for us and b) if she could confirm her involvement in related but unconfirmed designs. (Example: asking her if she designed Cinccino since she also designed Minccino.) Anyway, digression. ^^;

I'm a little surprised by just how many posters / wall stickers of Pokémon they've put up around the convention hall. Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Braixen, Thundurus ... I wonder how many hours it took them to prepare the convention hall for this event and how many hours it took them to take everything down afterwards?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #63
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

The three hour line was for the retail shop. The autograph line was also ridiculously long but it moved fairly quickly. I didn't get on autograph myself having not brought anything to sign

The circular tables were for anybody to sit at, only the rectangular tables on the sides of the room were where participants sat at. The circular tables were replaced by chairs and more chairs Saturday and Sunday. And yeah spectators usually sat where ever they wanted, mostly on the floor near outlets, but there were people walking around playing their DSes or buying/trading cards and playing card games as well. It was a sight to behold
Squad Summary

Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just saw this video on Nugget Bridge's YouTube channel: highlights from an episode of Pokémon GET where they visited Worlds and met famous players.

Spoiler: show
Interesting how the guy doesn't know most of them (perfectly understandable) yet does know the name Ray Rizzo. That's kinda nuts. I wonder if Ray is famous enough to land on their radar because he was a three-time world champion or if it has more to do with his dethroning Japan as world champs?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #65
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Ray has been a multi-time world champion over the past few years so its fairly understandable, while Arash and Brendan both won during 2013 World Championships and are thus more recent. I saw Brendan at worlds and for a second I didn't recognize him at all

As for Get TV crew, I saw them roaming around during worlds and they even talked to me once(but they didn't trade with me)
Squad Summary

Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #66
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

If I were there I'd totally would have tried to have a Japanese conversation with them to see how well that went.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

WCS 2014 Pachirisu to be distributed at 'Pokemon Champion's Day' in Korea on November 15th and 16th, reports Bulbanews. (Korean source)

Yeeeeeeeees. Now it's just a question of when we're going to be able to get it over here.

I'm surprised though that it's an infrared-only event in Korea. Maybe that's how they typically do things over there? No idea. Hopefully ours will be a WiFi downloadable like the specially-patterned Vivillon were. Bulbanews also indicates in this article that the event taking place these two days is a special commemorative event to honor Se Jun for becoming the Pokémon World Champion. So it's possible that even Korean players will gain WiFi access to the Pachirisu at a later date and that this is just a special early distribution.

It is pretty amazing though to see the World Championship distributionmon being a Pachirisu. I'm glad they chose to do it, going for the emotional fan favorite (even if it isn't competitively the most useful for most players) instead of going for some stupid meatstick like I would normally expect them to.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #68
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Pachi was also the MVP of Se Jun's team so it makes sense for it to be the distribution
Squad Summary

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #69
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Pachi was also the MVP of Se Jun's team so it makes sense for it to be the distribution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I would not be surprised in the slightest if this year's promotional VGC World Championships giveaway is Se Jun's Pachirisu. That thing was just too popular AND too instrumental to his victory to not be tapped, even if it's not the mega that Nintendo's PR office would like it to be. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. If they want to do the right thing, they'll release Pachirisu as the promo. It may not be something that most people's playstyles conform to, but it was the MVP of the championship for sure.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Champion's Day in Korea Celebrates Sejun Park's World Championship Win

Nugget Bridge provides a helpful report about the Champion's Day event that was held in Seoul from November 15 to November 16, celebrating the first ever Korean World Champion, Sejun Park. Guests from Game Freak were in attendance, special prizes were given away, and even a few small tournaments were held. It sounds like everyone had a lot of fun, and if you'd like to learn more about what the event entailed then I encourage you to click the link above and read Nugget Bridge's report.

Parades for Pokémon World Champion Canceled Due to Crowds

The event was so popular, in fact, that plans for eight Pikachu parades had to be scrapped after it became clear (see picture) that the number of people present made the parade all but impossible. This is what each parade was supposed to look like. Oh well. ^^;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON