UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Sneaze
Mrow?

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

HOW IS THERE NOT A THREAD FOR THIS YET?

J.K. ROWLING ANNOUNCED A NEW FILM SERIES SET IN THE HARRY POTTER UNIVERSE.

SERIES.

Read Up

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

First I've heard of it. After reading the article you linked us ... thoughts.

PLEASED:
  • that it's neither a prequel nor a sequel and that she's adamant on that fact. That it's simply set somewhere else in the same universe. Follows the same rules but doesn't really care about the details leading up to (were it a prequel) or ensuing from (where it a sequel) the adventures of the Boy Who Lived.
  • that it promises to be a romp filled with explorious adventure. (Yes, I just said "explorious". ) I can already see us visiting the Scottish highlands in search of green-scaled dragons, traversing the Sahara in search of mythic rocs/rukh, diving deep off the coasts of Japan and encountering great sea jellies or giant squid ... should be a lot of scenic fun.
CONCERNED:
  • that she's chosen to set it "70 years before Harry Potter". I realize that that might've felt awfully realistic to her -- that the author of a text Hagrid got for Harry might've been alive and adventuring some seventy years ago, as opposed to centuries ago (too long ago; text'd be replaced by then by someone newer's) or merely ten to twenty years ago (too recent; might prove difficult for her to extricate the events from those of Harry Potter) -- but the thing is, she's plopped us straight down into the 1930s. (This assumes that the Harry Potter books' events took place in the late 1990s or early 2000s, which IIRC they're confirmed to have done? Been a few years since I've last read any of them.) And I don't much care for that. Why?
    • in before Warner Bros. forces a Hitler / Nazis / WW2 tie-in. ("Gotta save the baby dragon from being used for evil in Nazi Germany!")
    • in before Rowling herself, as a proud British woman, can't help but to tie her characters back in to 1930s and 1940s Britain.
      • Oh dear God please don't tell me we're going to have a red Hungarian Horntail flying in the skies above London assisting the RAF in their fight against the Luftwaffe.
    • in before Great Depression references up the wazoo. She did deliberately start us off in New York, after all!
  • Why aren't these being written as proper book adventures first to be turned into films later? Why are these direct-to-DVDcinema productions?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

I thought the Potter books took place in the late 80s/early 90s.

Will be interested to see the wizarding world during the 1920s/1930s. Hope to see how wizarding life tied into the culture back then, such as prohibition/speakeasies and jazz, etc

Other than that, I'm not too excited. My initial reaction was "Cool!", but tumblr seems to just be flipping its shit over this. I'd consider myself a Harry Potter fan, but I'm not really into it enough to freak out over it or offer a response beyond "Awesome!".
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Sneaze
Mrow?

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them IS a book that has already been written and published (as well as Quidditch Through the Ages) back in 2001, for the record, though I've certainly never read it. Granted, though it was written to appear as an actual textbook, it may have some storyboarding already written into it, and we can probably figure out the plot from it fairly easily.

Also, given that the original version of the in-canon text by the same name was supposedly published in 1927, I think we have nothing to fear in the ways of Nazi's, Talon, especially since J.K. actually wrote that Newt was busy dealing with creating a Werewolf Register during the time period of WWII.

Also, I'm not that big of a HP nerd, I just read most of that in the second article BuzzFeed wrote, here.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
If they go major baddie route it's more likely to be Grindelwald than Nazi's. Also I'm made more hopeful by the fact that it's being written as a film rather than a book adaptation. Book adaptations are almost exclusively either awful or have nearly zero resemblance to the original book.. I can think of maybe half a dozen "film of the book"'s ever that weren't just terrible or having taken little more than the title. Maybe a couple more.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
It's a book that was written for Red Nose Day (a bi-annual television event that supports the charity Comic Relief) a few years back, along with Quidditch Through the Ages, as Sneezey said. I've got my copy somewhere but it's all of 5mm thick. I think it's great but then again I've got a Zoology degree.

Also it's supposed to be one of the main character's actual copy of FBaWtFT, since it's got scrawlings by Ron and Harry all over it.

But yeah. Main point is, it's not even a book adaptation, it's just telling the story of the wizard who wrote it. It's kind of like making a Pokémon adaptation to tell the story of Oak when he was younger and started to compile toe PokéDex.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I would do plenty of things for a copy of Fantastic Beasts an Where To Find Them.

This film sounds fairly prosome.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I read it way back when. And the green book, too, I forgot.

The only problem relevant to Talon is the book was rather selective about making cute references to monster seen in the HP books or to where they would have appeared. Stuff like "a colony of Acromantula are rumored to have taken up residence in the forests of Hogwarts..." etc. Despite no one knowing they were there except Hagrid.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Mercutio
Banned

To be honest she's not a great author so there's no real reason to assume she'll be a good screenwriter, especially since she's not had experience of doing it for years on napkins (presumably). And if she lets people edit it to potentially make it better (but probably worse because lol big screen adaptations) it'll get further away from the original universe's wonder and joy which is pretty much the only thing about HP which is worth the hype. And they're only doing this to make a shitton of money so objectively speaking it's a fairly sure bet that this is not actually going to be that great.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Should make it a BBC-styled documentary, and be voiced by Richard Attenborough.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Should make it a BBC-styled documentary, and be voiced by Richard Attenborough.
*David Attenborough
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
It's moments like this when I wish Steve Irwin was still alive.

But this looks interesting enough, as long as its somewhat creative.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
*David Attenborough
Freudian slip. Both guys are my heroes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて