UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotora.com
3000 years ago, ancient Egypt fell under attack. Monsters from a powerful "shadow realm" plagued the kingdom and slaughtered thousands. It was up to the Pharaoh, Atem, to seal away the magical beasts inside stone tablets and to conquer the enemies of civilization. And so the "shadow games" were born ...

3000 years later, a mysterious Egyptian artifact, the Millenium Puzzle, finds its way into the hands of Yuugi Mutou, a small Japanese boy who lives with his grandfather. Upon solving the puzzle, Yuugi frees the spirit of the Pharaoh, sealed away inside the Millenium Puzzle for three millenia. The Pharaoh discovers that he is able to transfer his soul from the Millenium Puzzle into the boy’s body, taking over for short periods of time, manifesting himself in our modern world. Yet much to his dismay, he has no memories of his past or of who he is. So begins the long relationship between little Yuugi and the Pharaoh, who is called "Yami" ("shadows, darkness") for lack of a proper name.

Meanwhile, a man named Maximillion Pegasus invents a card game called "Duel Monsters." The game becomes a huge success, and Yuugi and his friends all collect the cards and play. Yet it soon comes to everyone's attention that Yami displays an uncanny proficiency at the game, far beyond the skills of little Yuugi. He also has remarkably good luck (if it can be called that), with what appears to be the power to draw the exact card he needs when everything depends on it. The reason behind Yami's mysterious prowess at Duel Monsters is that, unknown to our heroes, Pegasus' game is inspired from a trip he took to Egyptian ruins. There, Pegasus discovered stone tablets engraved with pictures of mythical beasts. He deciphered the hieroglyphics chronicling the "shadow games" and decided to use the images of the magical beasts for his card game. Thus, Duel Monsters is nothing less than the Shadow Games reborn in 20th century Japan in the form of a children's card game.

Yuugi learns that those who possess one of seven "Millenium Items" have the power to choose to play Duel Monsters not in the real world but in "the Shadow Realm." There, the monsters are real, the flame of their breaths hot, the sting of their swords sharp, and the loss of life quite real. To the victor go the spoils; for the loser, his soul wanders the Shadow Realm for all eternity. Yuugi must find a way to acquire all seven Millenium Items, help the Pharaoh to remember who he is, and stop the beasts of Duel Monsters from emerging in our world ... just as they did 3000 years ago.
Since our old YGO thread is gone, and I felt like posting some cool screencaps of Season 5's opening sequence, I decided to start off with a basic plot summary of Season 1. A little unrelated to what I am about to post, but still. :P
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yeah...I was never a big Yu-Gi-Oh fan...but while we're on the topic...watch Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series!

40 episodes in only 2 hours!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnrules
Yeah...I was never a big Yu-Gi-Oh fan...but while we're on the topic...watch Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series!

40 episodes in only 2 hours!
2 hours? To long.

I never got into the series either. I just all seemed way to silly for it to be so "serious." I did catch an episode of GX last night and it was mildly more interesting. But still... its a card game people!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you take all the hours of Yugioh and put them together, I'd say that something around 80% of them add up to filler while only 20% are the actual meat and potatos of the kickass story and character development. You have to sift through a lot of junk to get to the treasure. That stated,

1) Yugioh has one of the richest, most touching treasures I've seen in an anime, and
2) there is something to be said for the filler creating the "high-tension atmosphere in duels" that fans of the series have come to love. After all, it wouldn't be very tense if every mystery the series presented you with was answered within 30 seconds -- which is what the plot-rich Yu-Gi-Oh! would require if you were to try and tell the 20%-core-plot without any of the filler. It'd become a 43-episode series with a ton of information crammed into each episode.

I understand that for most people, it's not worth wasting a hundred hours of your life (literally! Over 200 episodes, people!) just to get to the rich plot which could have theoretically been told in just 40 or 50 episodes. But for those who are willing to endure it, I think they are amply rewarded. The Pharaoh (Yami Yugi) is just such an amazingly well-thought out character in my opinion, and he's just so damn pitiable with his silent death wish. "I don't belong to this era ... please, Yugi, ... put my soul to rest. " All while risking his container's life to save the world ... and, thus, his container's future. Very touching, very cool.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime