UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Starship Troopers

Fascism is Fun!

I've recently been seeing ads for Total Recall, a remake of the Schwarzenegger movie from the late '80s that was directed by Starship Troopers' own Paul Verhoeven. The original film was an excellent action movie and an effective thriller, although I saw it when I was quite young.

The remake is hilarious for a number of reasons. First, it's totally unnecessary, just an excuse to recycle another brand name and use sex appeal to welcome in dollars. Second, it's PG-13...and probably going to be filled with dark scenes to eclipse what blood-less action will be in it.

PG-13 was originally invented for movies that had scenes of violence too ridiculous for a PG movie, but infrequent enough to not earn an R-rating. Like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with that heart tearing scene. No, making a movie PG-13 from the start, instead of taking an R-film and trimming it down, influences how the entire film is directed. I can say with experience watching PG-13 films in franchises with R-material (Alien vs. Predator?) that this usually makes the movie mediocre at best.

Anyway, the Total Recall film looks like it's bombing, but apparently Starship Troopers will get a remake too and it's not going to be satirical. In fact, it might worry a few people.

The Heinlein novel has always occupied an interesting place in children's literature. On the one hand, it's not really children's literature, it's a novel made to be read by everyone. It's called children's literature because parents want their kids to read it, but not take its material seriously. Heinlein wanted people to think about the novel and seriously question if the ideas he put forth could be put into practice, but Americans in particular would include ST on ban-lists if kids actually wanted to take down the American system of government and implement something similar to The Terran Federation.

So, now we've got a movie that's going to glorify all of that...in 3D. Joy.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment