UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

Premise: Ayuzawa Misaki, the student council president, is a strong-willed young woman who doesn't put up with the bullshit her mostly-male schoolmates try to pull off behind her back. She tries desperately to transform her high school into an environment where the 20% minority females can lead a safe and happy high school life. Misaki is the model student, upholding the school's rules and serving as inspiration to her fellow female students.

Misaki's domestic life is another story. She lives in a rundown home with her younger sister Suzuna and their single mother. To try to help out the family, Misaki works part-time as a maid at a maid cafe in the town next to the one she goes to school in. You see, if it were found out that she were working a part-time job, she'd get in trouble. It's common for Japanese schools to forbid their students from holding part-time jobs, and what sort of example would Misaki be setting as the student council president!? But never mind that alone: if it were found out that she were working as a maid, specifically, what would her 80% male student body would make of it? What would happen to the image she had worked so hard to create of Ayuzawa Misaki, the strong-willed woman who doesn't take bullshit from anybody? What would happen if they discovered her alter ego "Misa-chan" the domecile maid?

Enter Usui Takumi, the school's unattainable heartthrob. By chance, he discovers Misaki's secret and begins to frequent the café where Misa-chan works, Maid Latté. He tries to discover why Misaki appears to hate men so much while she tries to figure out just what Usui's game is, seeing as he's shown interest in not a single girl before Misaki.

These are the opening credits. Misaki is the brunette who features throughout. Usui is the blonde with the green eyes.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-07-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I might watch it, but the strong woman paradigm is pretty heavily featured in shoujo stories I've seen/read (Hana Dan?) so it won't be high priority.

Interestingly, upon reading today's Epoch Times, I noticed an article that brought this topic to mind. It was news to me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Misaki has a really attractive design.

And HAHA, why do you read the Epoch Times?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The only income I get is from my "magic box", an old Sour Punch Twist plastic container that has the amazing ability to spontaneously produce (and compound) interest when money is put in it. Given these limited funds, I tend to read any free newspapers I can find, and The Epoch Times is one of the free ones.

I'm aware of its...tendencies. Even before learning it was a Chinese news paper, I used to complain to a certain group about how in EVER FREAKING PAPER, there was some column about how The People's Republic is the devil incarnate and needs to be overthrown with a US-modeled capitalist economy (oh, with a democracy too) erected over its grave. It got really annoying, especially considering most of the staff are x+1 generation Asian Americans who were never raised in Imperial or Communist China and are looking at it from a foreigner's historical perspective.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Ah, I thought you might be an ethnic Chinese Filipino who has a grudge against the Chinese Communist Party for some reason.

There's a bunch of newspapers lying around the lunchroom at my workplace, the Epoch Times being one of them, so I've read it a couple times myself. It's really awkward how they have generic, "Mayor wants funds for new bridge" news stories interspersed with, "THE TEN EVILS OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA" articles.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There are no People's Republic of Chinese maids in this show. ;p
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
McSweeney
Soul Badge

That Rocket girl in your pic is fine!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There are no Team Rocket characters in this anime, either. :P

I should probably make a thread in Pokemon with some of the fanart I've acquired in my travels ...
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm through Episode 07 so far.

The show is mildly entertaining but (on the whole) kinda boring and very much so a cocktease. We know both characters like each one another. We know one of them is in denial about it and doesn't really fully realize it herself yet. We know that there are going to be obstacles which the writer conjures up to try and block the two from becoming a happily-forged couple. And yet we know that in the end they will wind up together, happily ever after.

All this and the fact that the show is targeted towards a female audience (bishies GALORE!) make for some frustration.

But that stated, it's still fun, and in the absence of better animes to watch this spring, I'll continue to tune in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime