UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Fireballs and piranha plants are not beyond your typical 5 year old. So who exactly are we including this character for?

The character's there as a hasty replacement for Mario so that they can maintain their strange little Luigi theme while still marketing the game as FOUR PLAYER FAMILY FUN

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #27
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Yeah, Nintendo fucked up the launch. They'll be showing Smash Bros 4, WW HD, maybe the new Zelda, and some other stuff at E3. If that shit doesn't spur sales, then I will officially say the Wii U is toast.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Dunno Tdos, people always seem really quick to count Nintendo out, but I get the feeling they will do just fine this gen, as they always have.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Dunno Tdos, people always seem really quick to count Nintendo out, but I get the feeling they will do just fine this gen, as they always have.
I don't think Nintendo will enjoy the ridiculous support of the casuals that they enjoyed last generation -- most non-gamers I've talked with still don't understand that the Wii U is a new console; they think it's some sort of optional peripheral or mod -- but at the same time I agree with Amras that people are pretty doom and gloomy with Nintendo three launches in a row now (Wii, 3DS, Wii U), and it's looking more and more like all three of these are going to be market successes for the company.

The 3DS and the Wii U have a lot in common. tl;dr

Spoiler: show
  • The design of both makes you think less "whole new system" and more "version upgrade of the previous system." A 3DS feels less like a whole new idea and more like a DS 2.0. It's definitely not the radical shifts seen between Game Boy and Game Boy Advance or between GBA and DS. Hell, the DS was originally marketed as an alternative to the GBA and not as a GBA replacement, remember!? "While you wait for GBA 2.0, have this crazy clam shell with two screens!" That was a radical shift, going from GBA to DS. DS to 3DS just feels like a souped-up version of the predecessor. And it's much the same with the Wii U.
  • Both were condemned by a majority of the gaming populace as a huge misstep by Nintendo. The 3DS was initially received with a lot of enthusiasm from 3D fanboys, but it didn't take long after its launch for the critics to outnumber the fans. A high price, a lack of popular launch titles, dissatisfaction with the 3D effects, and dissatisfaction with other aspects of the console (like lack of second analog stick or very short battery life) led many to quickly decry it as a failure. The Wii U? The Wii U was condemned even before its launch by the majority of gamers! ^^; And while these condemnations may have had merit ...
  • Both were pitted against even weaker showings by the competition. For the 3DS, the competition was Sony's PS Vita. And good lord has that thing tanked from what I understand. So even if the 3DS was, say, only a 3 out of 5, since its only other competition was a 2 out of 5, it won the opening round of its generation's war. As for the Wii U, whose generational cycle is only just getting under way, it looks like it too is up against too buffoons: neither Microsoft nor Sony are saying things that the gaming public wants to hear, Microsoft more so, and this only serves to further empower Nintendo.
Is it better to win because of your opponents' ineptitude rather than because of your own merits? Nooooo ... but it's still a win and you'll take it. That seems to be the case, at least early on, for Nintendo's 3DS and Wii U. Only time will tell, of course, but ... I don't expect this to be another GameCube generation. I expect it to be closer to that in terms of profits than to a Wii generation ("IT PRINTS MONEY!"), but I think the Wii U will still fare better in people's hearts and in Nintendo's pocketbooks than the GameCube did.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

One thing about the rise of the 3DS though Talon: people are coming around to it not only because the Vita sucks, but because the thing actually has some really great games now. Once Nintendo finally gets off their asses and starts releasing first party titles, their systems always sell.

Also, off-topic note: if you are still conflicted between 3DS and 3DS XL, go with the XL, if there is any pixel distortion because of the bigger size, I haven't noticed at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I am still conflicted, and it's actually because of the visual thing people bring up that I'm thinking of going for the original, smaller model. That was true with the original DS XL too: people were all excited for it, but then when they realized that it upscaled every game and made them look like shit, they were like "Oh. So this is a console meant for geriatrics with poor vision." And Nintendo was all "Schyeah? " That's one reason I'm so surprised people have rushed into buying 3DS XLs. But I think the bigger factor this time behind it is that while the visuals may be worse (although you're saying they're not, so *shrug*, but I have read many jouirnalists who claim that they are, and none of my local stores have a 3DS XL and a regular 3DS side by side for me to test for myself), the battery life is so much better that people spring for it. 'Cause apparently the original's battery life is just dog shit.

Personally, I'd love it if Nintendo unveiled a 3DS Lite coming to stores this October alongside Pokémon XY. But we both know what a stupid business decision that would be. *sigh* Would be far, far smarter to choke all of the Pokéfans into springing for a 3DS (regular or XL) in October so they can play their precious Pokemans ... and then to unveil the 3DS Lite in November (if it'll go on sale that Christmas) or else in January (after the Christmas holidays).
Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #32
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I'm not one of those people. I'm not worried at all about the Wii U's future because the problem can be easily resolved by releasing first party games. I'm saying that if a new Smash Bros., a new Zelda, and non-sidescrolling Mario don't make Wii U sales skyrocket, then it's time to worry.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #33
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post

- 15 NEW IPs! GEARS OF WAR 4, HALO: SPARTAN ASSAULT (Master Chief's version of Halo Reach), NEW EPIC GAMES IP, GENERIC BROWN AND GRAY MILITARY SHOOTER, DARK EDGY RACING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxsYQtltOco

whoops lol
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #34
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
I'm with the current top comment, stopped watching at 0:25. Putting it on Windows 8/Windows Phone is a horrible idea. Between everything that keeps mounting it's almost like Microsoft wants to fail.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #35
deoxys
Fog Badge

Not really. They're trying to sell Windows Phones and tablets, and this will effectively do that.... for a few people. huehuehue (´・ω・`)
Old 06-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

XBox One --> XBone --> XPhone

All according to plan.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #37
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Also Fable IV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2EhswZYju0s

whoops lol
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I am still conflicted, and it's actually because of the visual thing people bring up that I'm thinking of going for the original, smaller model. That was true with the original DS XL too: people were all excited for it, but then when they realized that it upscaled every game and made them look like shit, they were like "Oh. So this is a console meant for geriatrics with poor vision." And Nintendo was all "Schyeah? " That's one reason I'm so surprised people have rushed into buying 3DS XLs. But I think the bigger factor this time behind it is that while the visuals may be worse (although you're saying they're not, so *shrug*, but I have read many jouirnalists who claim that they are, and none of my local stores have a 3DS XL and a regular 3DS side by side for me to test for myself), the battery life is so much better that people spring for it. 'Cause apparently the original's battery life is just dog shit.
I have both a DSi XL (well my brother does but I pretty much stole it) and a 3DS XL, and I can tell you that I have literally never had a problem with upscaling problems, with the exception of DS games on the 3DS. Also I have never heard anything about visual problems from the larger sizes.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1...le-with-media/

welp, gg.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
*insert image macros of Kaz Hirai and Reginald Fils-Aime here*
Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #41
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
*insert image macros of Kaz Hirai and Reginald Fils-Aime here*

Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #42
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...7#post61504857

Quote:
Two of our most trusted neoGAF insiders have said that Microsoft is reacting hard to what has went down, and so they're going to try to dismantle PS4's image as a "for gamers" console by paying publishers and devs to not show their multiplatform titles during E3 on a PS4. In other words, even if the multiplatform version is coming out for the PS4, they won't be able to show them at E3, thus contributing to the perception that somehow Sony is getting significantly less support for PS4 than Microsoft is "for gamers."

Of course, I'm sure multiplatform games will slip through - they can't possibly pay everyone - but it's extremely telling how they're choosing to spend their money. Rather than do the thing everyone wants, which is end the anti-consumer nonsense, they'll spend their time trying to deceive everyone instead. That should say it all about Microsoft since this year started
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #43
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

That sounds absolutely retarded. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #44
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Agreed, tdos. I hadn't heard about neogaf until a few days ago, but they seem to have a really weird reputation in the video game world. Kind of like a more exclusive, established reddit.

The video game industry really needs to figure out this whole publisher thing.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thirding. This sort of business practice sounds prohibitively expensive to even be worth attempting. There's no point in buying off some of the competition and then facing a media backlash when those who aren't bought off tattle on you. You either buy off everyone and have 'em keep their mouths shut or else you buy off nobody.

Microsoft wanting to paint the PS4 as a system that isn't any more intended for hardcore gamers than Microsoft's own XBox One? Sure, I can see that. But that's par for the course at just about any E3. Put down the competition and trumpet your own product as if it's Christ on a cheese stick. It's the "lol we bought people off, we awe teh ebil wich Micwosoft " that has me doubting this story until I see it for myself.

It has to be said though that Deo gets at least some "I told you so! :p" points if it turns out to be true ... and that Microsoft is also fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked if it turns out to be true.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #46
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
That sounds absolutely retarded. I'll believe it when I see it.
This is my attitude as well. We can put up with deception from the Internet - it is almost expected. Deception from a major company is entirely different. For microsoft's sake I hope this is the former.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #47
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

This E3 has been a clusterfuck of media blunders. Even if it doesn't ultimately affect the sales, it sure will affect how people see the Gaming divisions of Sony and Microsoft from here on out.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #48
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
It has to be said though that Deo gets at least some "I told you so! :p" points if it turns out to be true ... and that Microsoft is also fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked if it turns out to be true.
Well I more or less only shared it because I thought it was interesting and thought it would start some discussion. neoGAF has a decent amount of credibility usually, although that's not *always* the case... they've been wrong about a lot of things plenty of times before.

The other thing is, if it turns out to be true, how will we know? The only proof we would have is if a large amount of announced multiplatform games were shown off on the Xbox One at E3, but not the PS4... perhaps even on the show floor only? And that might be hard to prove. Which, if that's the case, sort of defeats the purpose and intent anyway.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
The other thing is, if it turns out to be true, how will we know?
Facing a libel suit in court from one of the biggest gorillas in the legal jungle for any false claims made, I don't think any developers would risk lying to the gaming press about Microsoft buying them off. So when you ask me "How will we know if it's true?", I say it's pretty simple: given enough developers coming forward testifying that, yes indeed, someone representing Microsoft contacted them and instructed them to sabotage Sony's E3 showing, I'd say we can be fairly certain it really did happen. Because said whistleblowers would likely have damning evidence on hand (taped conversations, e-mails, etc.) with which to not only prove Microsoft's guilt but also shield themselves in any countersuit that might otherwise be filed by a vengeful Microsoft.

Basically, if we see developers coming forward saying "This is true," then it's true; and if we don't, then while it could still be true it very likely wouldn't be.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #50
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Well, gamers who read news sites like Polygon and Kotaku will know, because their journalists will jump on something like that like it's free cake. It's the average consumer, the one who thinks E3 is the be-all-end-all of gaming news, who will be in the dark.

And I still can't see it being true. Developers and publishers are all about the money, and Microsoft would have to convince them that the potential fallout when fans discovered the deception would be nothing compared to the nice check going their way. That would be a lot of money, I think.

If Squeenix hadn't already appeared at Sony's PS4 reveal, I'd say they were the kind of company that might actually do that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games