UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 04-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #1576
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

ooh windy powers. Also i was suggesting keyboardkind for someone else I use bookkind. not that it is against the rules to doube up on strife specibus or anything

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #1577
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Class analysis for mine Jer?

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:00 AM   #1578
Sneaze
Mrow?

Jeri and I had a nice conversation about how I would be a Prince of Blood, which fits pretty well and the couple of quizzes earlier on in the thread have confirmed as much.

I'm now sad, though, as I can't have an aspect icon without sharing one with Jeri.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #1579
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Lit

I think Prince of Doom is probably one of the most potent combinations that Doom can have, as it pretty much makes you the master of Fate. Not only can you take your own fate into your hands, you can determine the fate of others and the systems that control them or that they are a part of.

But that said, it's also a classpect that is most likely to turn you into a martyr. Doom is an aspect tied really intimately to sacrifice, and with a class centered around destruction, you are somewhat ironically fated to sacrifice yourself in order to affect the fates of others. The Doom players we saw in HS were both understanding classes, two classes that in pretty much every other context do not necessarily involve a lot of engaging of the self, and they still made huge sacrifices (or were forced to do so) in order to contribute to their sessions.

Spoilers, potential blaspheming/ego boosting:
Spoiler: show
I think, somewhat ironically, you could actually argue that Jesus fits the Prince of Doom, sacrificing himself to defeat death and destroy the system that ultimately oppressed him and his people. It's a very potent combination but also one that eventually leads to the ultimate sacrifice.

Of course I would also argue that he would fit Lord of Doom.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #1580
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
Jeri and I had a nice conversation about how I would be a Prince of Blood, which fits pretty well and the couple of quizzes earlier on in the thread have confirmed as much.

I'm now sad, though, as I can't have an aspect icon without sharing one with Jeri.
I kinda would suggest you do it anyway. People will be able to tell the difference between you :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
>Lit

I think Prince of Doom is probably one of the most potent combinations that Doom can have, as it pretty much makes you the master of Fate. Not only can you take your own fate into your hands, you can determine the fate of others and the systems that control them or that they are a part of.

But that said, it's also a classpect that is most likely to turn you into a martyr. Doom is an aspect tied really intimately to sacrifice, and with a class centered around destruction, you are somewhat ironically fated to sacrifice yourself in order to affect the fates of others. The Doom players we saw in HS were both understanding classes, two classes that in pretty much every other context do not necessarily involve a lot of engaging of the self, and they still made huge sacrifices (or were forced to do so) in order to contribute to their sessions.

Spoilers, potential blaspheming/ego boosting:
I think, somewhat ironically, you could actually argue that Jesus fits the Prince of Doom, sacrificing himself to defeat death and destroy the system that ultimately oppressed him and his people. It's a very potent combination but also one that eventually leads to the ultimate sacrifice.

Of course I would also argue that he would fit Lord of Doom.
You're actually absolutely right, which I find hilarious (and will most likely not share with religious non-homestuck people). You forgot Thief, though...although technically I think it would be Rogue. He literally took the burden of doom for humanity, which fits with the Rogue's Robin Hood style theme.

One could argue though that he's a Life player since both Doom players were cranky, edgy assholes who were creepily interested in the possibility of the deaths of others, even if they did have good intentions in the things they pulled.

Lord of Life would fit with the actual mythos (I think I've heard the phrase before...) and wouldn't be too far off the mark, though it is missing the sacrifice bit which is actually really important. Maybe it involves him giving up life in order to give life to all?

Analysis of Jeri's, since I haven't seen anyone do this:
To me, Seer of Blood has mostly to do with knowing how relationships would progress and manipulating people into the most beneficial relationships for them in much the same way as Heart players tend to...but with a lot more success and a great deal less clumsiness.

This is actually quite advantageous for a Seer who specializes in relationships and friendships; while you are not a Mage and typically carry out your understanding through inspiration and leadership rather than direct action, you would probably benefit from your classpect's natural understanding of inspiration and leadership. As you discern the ideal ways to organize your ragtag group of misfits into a fighting force, whether in a leadership role yourself or just as an advisor to someone you have decided would make a better leader, you will also find understanding of your own relationships with others and possibly use this information to find greater success in your endeavors.

Last edited by Shuckle; 04-17-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #1581
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think Mage of Mind is a fun combination! I imagine a fully realized Mage of Mind would amount to being more or less a Mind Reader, being able to see and see through people's facades and the mental and emotional walls they put up. It would give you a really deep understanding of the minds of others, but you would also probably have trouble understanding your own mind and your "self". I think it's a really compelling classpect because it really reflects a sort of tragic dichotomy. It's a classpect that fits people who tend to be inclined towards Psychology and other studies of human nature, as they often know a lot about the minds of others but struggle with their own.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #1582
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Actually for the first time I disagree with you! Mages don't have any reservations about using their powers on themselves. For example Sollux averted his own doom a few times (though he was an inactive mage which led to a lot of trouble). I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to figure myself out eventually :P
Old 04-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #1583
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think that you're right about that but it would be a struggle - Mages tend to look out a little more than they look in and while they can wield their aspect to their own benefit and with regards to themselves, they always struggle a bit with the inverse. In this case, the inverse of Mind is Heart, which represents the self.

That said, I think a fully-realized Mage of Mind would have a pretty good grasp over the self, but it would be a bit of a journey to get there.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #1584
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
So as a Prince of Time, I get to be a master procrastinator and smash clocks, right? ;p But yeah, I've got a dangerous combo. Time is already somewhat associated with destruction so I'm definitely a fighter of the group.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #1585
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Boo we got another Mind player? :P

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #1586
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

Pretty sure my new avi is the correct symbol for Hope

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #1587
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Boo we got another Mind player? :P
P sure Mind players get along well! If you wanna mind-meld later I'm dtf ;o

>Mindy stuff

Mind is a weird one because Mind and Heart are the closest-aligned of all the "opposites." Passion and emotion are both very much a product of the mind, and your behavior and conclusions are influenced strongly by your emotions. Though they're ideologically opposed, it's definitely not to the same degree as the other aspects are. Being good at Mind does involve knowing the other person's passions and motivations, while being good at Heart involves reading people's behavior and deducing their passions from it.

This is actually a really interesting conclusion to make - what if players don't just struggle with the opposite aspect, but that it's their actual intended struggle? I.E. in order to become fully realized, you must know not only your aspect but have some knowledge and understanding of your opposing aspect?

Mega spoilers:
Rose with the dark horrorterrors - Light/Void
John working together with the people who needed him - Breath/Blood
Jade occupying and acting on a specific point in the timeline towards the very end - Space/Time
Dave understanding the specific manner in which his powers work - Time/Space

Last one is reaching but it all sort of checks out; relating to the opposite aspect has something to do with growing as a person and becoming fully realized.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #1588
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Do you have trouble understanding the classpect system as laid out in quizzes, wikis, and analyses?

You: maybe

Well fear no more! Welcome to SHUCKLE'S CLASSPECT PRIMER.

The CLASS system is based off of two variables. The first is your STYLE and the second is your METHOD.

STYLE is a simple sliding scale from -7 to +7 (with each class occupying one spot on the number line and with no neutral classes). +7 is Muse, the most passive class, and -7 is Lord, the most active class.

UU: the +/- distinction can mean many things, bUt coUld be qUite roUghly sUmmed Up in this way: active classes exploit their aspect to benefit themselves, while passive classes allow their aspect to benefit others.

METHOD is the thing you do. There are 6 methods (ordered from most to least extreme):

EMBODIMENT/CONTROL
CHANGE
DESTRUCTION
UNDERSTANDING
EXPLOITATION
ALLOCATION
CREATION

Okay, that's pretty simple. Let's put them together:

METHOD | PASSIVE VERSION | ACTIVE VERSION

Embodiment/Inspiring| Muse | N/A | FEMALE ONLY |
Control/Dominating | N/A | Lord | MALE ONLY |
Change/Modifying | Heir (MALE ONLY) | Witch (FEMALE ONLY) |
Destruction | Bard | Prince | MALE ONLY |
Understanding | Seer | Mage |
Exploitation | Page | Knight |
Allocation/Stealing | Thief | Rogue |
Creation and Healing | Sylph | Maid | FEMALE ONLY |

You: this is still confusing

Select your method from the left column, then move along the row to see the classes that fit your method. Use this Ultimate Classpect Post to discover a lil more about yourself.

If you can't come up with your method, use quizzes to figure out what classes you consistently get placed as, then use the chart to interpret your results.

Alright, now it's time to run Aspect analysis. This is trickier because they aren't connected as clearly as the Classes are. Infinitywhale did an okay job of chaining them all together, but it's not perfect, so this is my own analysis.

Cardinal Aspects
(relate to the basic systems of reality)

Time | Space
Doom | Life

Personal Aspects:
(relate to people and relationships)

Mind | Heart
Breath | Blood

Informational Aspects:
(relate to knowledge and possibilities)

Rage | Hope
Void | Light

The first aspect in any pair is Destructive, whereas the second half is Constructive.

Aspects seem to be based on personality in a similar way to Classes, but with less of a focus on method and style and more of a focus on decision making and thought processes. Even then it's still really confusing and messy to try to figure out how to sort people into specific aspects.

You: this taught me literally nothing and I am just as confused as I was when I started.

You: Can't you make a convenient, reliable, enjoyable quiz based on your analysis to make this decision easier for me

Haha no, I wasted 3 hours on this post alone and it's really shitty and disorganized, just try to imagine how much of a drag a full quiz would be, haha nope, nope, no, not even a little bit, k, bye

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonus content:

My best guess at the number system (including this mysterious tweet: http://web.archive.org/web/201602241...83655820042240). I ensured that each class was the precise opposite of its counterpart, as well, since with Hussie that's probably a significant piece of that puzzle.

7: Muse - Female (Master class)
6: Heir - Male
5: Bard - Male
4: Seer
3: Page
2: Rogue
1: Sylph - Female
-1: Maid - Female
-2 Thief
-3: Knight
-4: Mage
-5: Prince - Male
-6: Witch - Female
-7: Lord - Male (Master class)

I'm actually most interested in the neutral classes, Sylph/Maid and Thief/Rogue, to understand the way the passive/active system works. My hunch is that passive = embody, while active = control. After all, Lord involves full control, while Muse involves full embodiment.

Infinitywhale put Rogue as passive and Thief as active because Thief benefits itself while Rogue benefits the group. I actually disagree. Thief takes for itself and adds to its own embodiment; while it does use the things it takes, it is not as passive as something like Heir which barely has any control over its powers. Rogue, on the other hand, is actually fairly active, manipulating its aspect directly and exerting control over it, albeit in a way that makes it sort of embody whatever its aspect is by sharing it with the group it's in.

Maid and Sylph are the most neutral classes. Both of them embody and control their aspects in similar amounts, and the Sylph does a lot of stuff for a supposedly passive class.

Last edited by Shuckle; 04-17-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #1589
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Infinitywhale put Rogue as passive and Thief as active because Thief benefits itself while Rogue benefits the group. I actually disagree. Thief takes for itself and adds to its own embodiment; while it does use the things it takes, it is not as passive as something like Heir which barely has any control over its powers. Rogue, on the other hand, is actually fairly active, manipulating its aspect directly and exerting control over it, albeit in a way that makes it sort of embody whatever its aspect is by sharing it with the group it's in.
Isn't it canon that the thief is active and the rogue is passive? Like I'm pretty certain I just read that.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #1590
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Oh god dammit Calliope why do you fuck up everything.

Reviewing and revising.

EDIT: Okay so Calliope rly did fuck up everything. It's really hard to come up with a specific definition for active and passive and I honestly way preferred my system of control vs embodiment. :X
Old 04-18-2016, 12:29 AM   #1591
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Ok an irl friend showed me to a different test that I don't think has been linked yet? If it was I missed it, but I felt like this one gave me the most accurate result of the ones I tried, and it felt the most complete. Got Knight of Blood, and I have to really agree with it. Also actually started this thing, so slowly making progress lol
Old 04-18-2016, 12:57 AM   #1592
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

That test is so far away from everything canon that it actually enters into its own canon and cannot actually be called Homestuck at all anymore.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #1593
Sparkbeat

I basically just ignored the noncanon ones, but yeah idk anything else about it really. At the very least it makes for a great personality quiz is general.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #1594
Lil'twick
Insanity

I forgot where the link for it was, but I did once take a very long test that only contributed towards Canon stuff. For that, (It was two years ago), I got Knight of Doom. If I can manage to ask the friends who took it with me about it, I'm sure we can dig it up. (Also I find it funny how I went from a Knight to a Prince).

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #1595
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

you know, Lost, I'm surprised you got Doom. I definitely would have pegged you as a Rage player :')
Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #1596
Lil'twick
Insanity

How I am playing League =/= How I am anywhere else.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 04-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #1597
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

BORKED

ALL ABOARD THE FEELS TRAIN NEXT STOP SOBBING STATION

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #1598
Sparkbeat

Yeah so I'm really mad at past!me for going "I really hate the design of some homestuck characters I've seen from time to time" and creating a kinda negative stigma around it and never giving it a look.

Because it's really good so far still not a fan of some character designs but haven't gotten to any of them yet so eh
Old 04-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #1599
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Some of the characters are annoying but over time you do grow to love them.

Tavros is annoying and awful but he's one of the most endearing characters honestly.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #1600
Sparkbeat

It wasn't really annoying, since I didn't know anything about their personalities. It was pretty much just me not really liking how most of the characters I'd seen looked. But yeah, it's been a nonissue so far in terms of actually reading it. Just finished Part 1 Act 3.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment