Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #252
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
I'd be a higher rank if I wasn't cursed by the eternal Attack Bastion™
Gold and low Platinum is super toxic. It's basically matchmaking hell. Today I did a bunch of games and on none of my teams did I have a single Hanzo. That's how you know you've made it in life.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #253
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
See I'm Bronze, and I think fairly low in Bronze too (Barely broke 2k on rankings, and haven't done much since then), simply because everybody at that level's trying to copy the 'pro strats' and force the usual 2/2/2 in some way, shape or form (At this level it's D. Va OR Roadhog and Rein, any two of Ana, Zen and Lucio, and then usually a junkrat and a reaper/hanzo/mccree/mei/genji/the third healer that wasn't already picked) and giving people tons of shit for not following that playstyle, without seeming to realise that not everyone is good with those heroes. I mean, take me for instance. If you ask me which characters I'm confident enough with to play in comp, and the first answer is Mercy. Yes I know Mercy's not great, but it's who I'm good with, and I'll probably be a damn sight more useful with Mercy than I would be with Lucio or Ana. Yet you get everyone yelling at you because you aren't conforming to the top-level format. Despite the fact that it's still the sort of format where you will run into Bastion/Torbjorn/Symmetra setups when you're attacking an objective, and that will basically stonewall the team because they're not good enough to take that on without having three Pharahs and two Junkrats.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #254
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
without seeming to realise that not everyone is good with those heroes.
Learning how to play other heroes will get you out of Bronze. Especially if it's heroes from different classes (a tank, support, dps, etc).

Now that I hit Diamond Im afraid Ill instantly drop out so I dont mind doing some QP with people for that sweet exp bonus.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #255
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Meh, I play a somewhat varied range of heroes, but there's usually some issue with most of them. Because I use Reaper, Pharah, Mei, Junkrat and more recently Rein, they're usually taken quickly by others or in the case of the first four, you get bashed severely because it's either the wrong map or the wrong phase (Nobody likes defense reaper/pharah or offense mei), which forces me back into Mercy. And in case others didn't know, people at bronze level don't seem to get the concept of actually protecting the healer, so you're basically fending for yourself against whatever's trying to flank you with little to no support, and usually dying because of it. And then you get bashed by the team for not healing them when in reality you're getting spawncamped by a Roadhog or a Reaper. Not fun.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #256
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Kuno do I have you added as long as you're not past like 3300 we can probably queue
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

Old 10-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #257
Sneaze
Mrow?

You don't know the true hell of a terrible team until you play Mercy as the sole healer and somehow end up with silver elims.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:04 AM   #258
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

No, but I have done Mercy as the sole healer and ended up with 35 deaths due to spawncamping Roadhog. I switched characters numerous times throughout that, but Roadhog can basically 1v1 most things and win it seems.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #259
Sneaze
Mrow?

I WANT TO GET OFF MR. RITO'S WILD RIDE.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #260
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So my friend pushed me into playing this earlier today after a long time of me saying I wasn't interested because I don't really play either FPS's or competitive multiplayer games (my reactions suck too bad, to be honest) but oh my god this is awesome. Spent a good portion of today dicking around as Reinhardt and Mei. I died a lot to Genjis, Hanzos and Roadhogs.

Most embarrassing moment; a play of the match where you could clearly see me Reinhardt charging off a ledge to my death in blind panic.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #261
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I mean it's not the most embarrassing thing going. That goes to the match I was in the other day, where they were attacking King's Row with six Genjis and I got silver eliminations with Mercy. Not sure who'd be more embarrassed, the other team because they lost with six genjis, or my team because the fucking healer got silver eliminations.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #262
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
So my friend pushed me into playing this earlier today after a long time of me saying I wasn't interested because I don't really play either FPS's or competitive multiplayer games (my reactions suck too bad, to be honest) but oh my god this is awesome.
I fucking hate/suck at FPS games but I love Overwatch. Also Overwatch is already one of the most sold PC games ever so they're doing something right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
I mean it's not the most embarrassing thing going. That goes to the match I was in the other day, where they were attacking King's Row with six Genjis and I got silver eliminations with Mercy. Not sure who'd be more embarrassed, the other team because they lost with six genjis, or my team because the fucking healer got silver eliminations.
I had a fantastic Mercy game on QP yesterday. We were attacking on Eichen and I went up the side path on the right instead of the normal street. The enemy Hanzo and Mei were pushed ahead (past the bridge) to get easy picks. I was behind them and killed both of them as Mercy. I never had gold damage and elims as Mercy but sadly it didn't last past the first minute or so.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #263
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

She's heeeeeeeeeeeeere

boop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #264
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
So my friend pushed me into playing this earlier today after a long time of me saying I wasn't interested because I don't really play either FPS's or competitive multiplayer games (my reactions suck too bad, to be honest) but oh my god this is awesome. Spent a good portion of today dicking around as Reinhardt and Mei. I died a lot to Genjis, Hanzos and Roadhogs.

Most embarrassing moment; a play of the match where you could clearly see me Reinhardt charging off a ledge to my death in blind panic.
A big part of why I love Overwatch is how easily it caters to every audience INCLUDING THE HIGHLY COMPETITIVE.

The "casual" characters (Reinhardt, Mei, Mercy, Soldier) are all competitively viable. Gameplay is engaging and doesn't change overly much between competitive and casual play.

Overwatch also has a zillion great examples of narrative design through gameplay and I just love it so much. Blizzard pls hire me I want to work on Overwatch too.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #265
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'd get OW just for Sombra if I knew my laptop could run it.

EMP looks absolutely devastating if used on a chokepoint and really dicks over Reinhardt and similar.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #266
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Yeah I feel like Sombra is gonna be pretty ridiculous at a competitive level. Idk what kind of range you can use Hack at but like, is it not just a "lolnope" for Reinhardt having any usefulness for the duration and the perfect answer to Mei splitting teams at chokepoints? Like, basically any hero that can't muster high dps by default firing just took a huge nerf surely?

And 1v1, any hero that can't outdamage her with their left click (which given she's an offence hero is presumably most of them) is dead. Run up whilst invisible, Hack and proceed to murder. Honestly strikes me as the kind of ability set more suited to a hero with pants damage output.

My 2 cents with minimal idea what I'm talking about, of course :p.

Last edited by Concept; 11-04-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #267
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

i mean the hack takes a while if sombra just suddenly shows up behind an enemy team and tries to hack reinhardt she'll porbably die first. That said her ult looks super strong
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

Old 11-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #268
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Oh ok, I literally just read her abilities and haven't actually seen them played. First reaction was like "so I run in whilst invisible, drop a hack and unless you're one of the like three things that out dps's me with left click you lose".
Old 11-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #269
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Yeah I feel like Sombra is gonna be pretty ridiculous at a competitive level. Idk what kind of range you can use Hack at but like, is it not just a "lolnope" for Reinhardt having any usefulness for the duration and the perfect answer to Mei splitting teams at chokepoints? Like, basically any hero that can't muster high dps by default firing just took a huge nerf surely?
Based on what we've seen so far it looks like Sombra has to be within (relatively short) range and maintain LOS for duration, which means actually taking Reinhardt or Mei out requires them to be isolated or your team covering you while you hack if you don't have ult. I also suspect she's going to have low DPS by offensive character standards given the utility focus of her kit, cloaking and a Reaper+Tracer flanking/get out of shit free ability.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #270
Emi

I don't think Sombra is actually that powerful from what I'm seeing. Her kit is pure support / defensive (it doesn't seem that EMP does damage), and her machine pistol from looking doesn't seem very strong, a little weaker than Tracer. She seems to be more disruptive / flanking rather than having the ability to take anyone head on. Disable a certain hero to allow your team mates to bust in or blow up a choke with EMP.

It's worth noting that a good number of heroes seem to be able to outdamage her, especially in close range, so its unlikely she can do pure offense.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #271
Connor
Flashbacker

From what I've seen in the few World Cup matches I've watched having a flanker who can effectively disable an enemy hero while having good mobility will make her a pretty common pick on Comp. Most skirmishes seem to come down to whoever gets the first kill then absolutely rushing the opposition, so Sombra being able to put a 6 vs. 5 situation in quickly will be valuable af. Especially for disabling shit like Mei's Blizzard(?) which seems ubiquitous on defence.

(Also fucking Nanoboosts).
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #272
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I don't think Sombra is actually that powerful from what I'm seeing. Her kit is pure support / defensive (it doesn't seem that EMP does damage), and her machine pistol from looking doesn't seem very strong, a little weaker than Tracer. She seems to be more disruptive / flanking rather than having the ability to take anyone head on. Disable a certain hero to allow your team mates to bust in or blow up a choke with EMP.

It's worth noting that a good number of heroes seem to be able to outdamage her, especially in close range, so its unlikely she can do pure offense.
She's incredibly versatile on the other hand. The way her teleport works is absolutely insane; either you can place it in a safe location and use those 15 seconds to do as much harass as possible before backing out, or you can use it offensively to abuse short range teleport on a 5 second cooldown. Her clip size is suprisingly large, and from what I've heard, her range and spread lies inbetween Tracer and Soldier 76 (great range with wider spread that increases over time). I've seen some of the gameplay footage at BlizzCon, she can burst an Ana with under 1 clip and invis/teleport out to safety.

One of the biggest strengths to her kit is the ability to hack health packs, coupled in with the previous point about her bursting out supports. The hack on a health pack lasts for a minute. That's a really long time. If you can hack 1 or 2 strategic health packs (e.g. Hollywood first stretch right building before the arch,and the pack in the left-center building past the arch), and burst out the healers before teleporting back to safety, you leave the enemy team starved for health, effectively stalling them for the time the healers are down. It also leaves your team with forever spawning health packs, which can never hurt.

Oh and her passive is really good for catching out lit opponents, especially if you play her as back line harass. Go in once, get them low, teleport out. Go in again, get kills, teleport out.

Sombra is gonna be a must-pick in her release form at least.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #273
Emi

I meant powerful from a damage perspective but yeah I figure she's going to be really good.

Her teleporter is hilarious.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #274
Lady Kuno

The most interesting thing about Sombra is that it means only Mercy and Ana can heal during EMP. Both of them heal using their primary weapons rather than as an ability like Lucio/Zen. Sombra also hard counters Lucio ult and Zen in general since it gets rid of shield health and that leaves Zen with 50 HP.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #275
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
The most interesting thing about Sombra is that it means only Mercy and Ana can heal during EMP. Both of them heal using their primary weapons rather than as an ability like Lucio/Zen. Sombra also hard counters Lucio ult and Zen in general since it gets rid of shield health and that leaves Zen with 50 HP.
Does it? I thought that it just prevents Lucio from changing tracks and doesn't stop his healing all together. At least that's how the hack works, the ult may be different.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games