UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 10-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #176
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Not really free, it runs all sorts of background analytics and probably sells your data to third parties. I consider biometrics a marketable asset, so you're forgoing an opportunity cost by allowing them to profit off of you.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #177
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Yes but doppel, let's be honest here, literally every single product and company is either selling your data or buying it. If that's your standpoint I'm surprised you have access to or use the internet.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #178
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I spoof my data or airgap to protect my info. At this point it's not so much about privacy as irritation at not being paid rolls of cash for information about myself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-15-2018, 04:19 AM   #179
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You get EXP for catching Pokemon. Is this a thing now? I think I may have seen it in SM, but at least you still battle the Pokemon there.

Here, throw Pokeball, receive Pokemon, receive EXP (+EXP thanks to EXP Share!).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-15-2018, 04:34 AM   #180
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Exp for catching's been a thing since like, gen 6.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #181
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I blame skipping generations for not knowing that. Still, it seems...really bizarre to watch in the extended previews - catching every Pokemon you come across in Viridian with one throw, and leveling your entire party doing it.

It's sacrilegious.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #182
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I blame skipping generations for not knowing that. Still, it seems...really bizarre to watch in the extended previews - catching every Pokemon you come across in Viridian with one throw, and leveling your entire party doing it.

It's sacrilegious.
Following the progression path (from 1-4 to 5-7 to Let's Go), it doesn't feel that way. But I can see where the disconnect is -- and, surprise surprise, it's with Let's Go again.

Gens 1-4, we didn't get experience for capturing Pokémon in wild battles. Someone thought this was odd; and by the time Gen 5 was in development, had managed to persuade Masuda et al to overhaul the formula. From Gen 5 onward, you get the KO experience whether you KO or capture. This way, capturing isn't disincentivized; and what happens in the game makes more material sense with the "real" Pokémon world. Were Pokémon real, we would expect our animal buddies to get experience from the high finesse of capturing just as well as we would from the crude explosion of power in OHKO'ing everything in sight. Why should only a Squirtle who lays waste to Caterpies gain experience while a Nidoran who engages in over 100 battles, each of them ending with a capture, gain nothing at all?

What Let's Go changes in the formula now is the fact that you don't even send a Pokémon out into battle anymore. You just throw a Poké Ball and capture to your heart's content. That's where the breakdown occurs:
  • with Gens 1-4, the criticism was, "It doesn't make sense not to gain EXP. My animal buddy participated in the battle. He should get some experience."
  • with Gens 5-7, this was the fix. "Participating in successful battles -- ending in KO or capture, either/or -- will net you experience."
  • with Let's Go, it's ... "the human solos the battle, but somehow his animal friends inside his backpack get all the stronger for it."
It makes no sense. If the goal is preserving a sense of realism, then the obvious solution would have been to either a) keep wild battles as they were in Gens 5-7 or else to b) go back to the way EXP things were in Gens 1-4.

But the reason the LGPE team hasn't done that is, they've run into an even worse problem. By taking wild Pokémon battles out of the equation ... you've reduced EXP gains to only trainer battles if you return us to the Gens 1-4 system. You can't say throwing Poké Balls willy nilly doesn't net your backpack snugglers any experience. I mean, of course you can, but if you do then it means they're only ever going to level up from trainer battles. And that (post-game) the only way you can level up ever again is the ritual E4 rematch. That'd be it.

So they had to keep the 5-7 way of doing things -- captures net you EXP -- despite castrating away the justification for the change from 1-4 to 5-7 in the first place.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #183
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gaining EXP without a fight is the worst choice possible. Since the EXP share is given out so early here it could have been fixed by juicing the trainer battle EXP. With a mandatory EXP share, that ensures that all Pokemon in team are equally levelled so the boss battles don't devolve into a dog & pony show.

In RBY, I trained a single ace Pokemon who carried me the entire story and it was significantly overleveled compared to the rest of my team. I was able to get my Nidoking to Level 80 by Cinnabar Island sweeping every single trainer in the game and all wild Pokemon to that point. Gen I simply doesn't give enough EXP to raise 6 Pokemon to Level 60's or '70s by that point without SIGNIFICANT wild Pokemon grinding.

So the solution is simple. "team" play is already encouraged, and I don't think it's nearly as immersion breaking if a character enters Pewter with a team of Level 10-12 Pokemon, as opposed to a single Pokemon that level and the others level 5-8.

It never made sense that no EXP was given during a capture battle yes...but it also doesn't make sense that you can gain EXP and raise levels during battle, while the opponent (wild OR trained) can't. In most cases it's not an issue...but when you look at opponents like Ultra Necrozma who can roll teams, it's immersion removing to see 9 Pokemon go down (with revives) but he ends up PP stalled at Level 60.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #184
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I agree that boosting the amount of EXP given by trainers would have worked -- for Story Mode. But what happens after that? What happens when you decide to capture new wild creatures and want to use them in battle? Your only recourse in a world where every one-time-only trainer is defeated and no wild encounters provide experience ... would be to grind against the Elite Four. Which is pretty much exactly how we used to do it back in the day, but ... yeesh. Not out of obligation! Just because it was the best available option to us.

The solution I'd offer at this juncture is one I wish we would have already seen by now. You make it so 1) the game has a post-story battle facility, e.g. the Battle Frontier. And you make it so 2) defeating NPCs at that facility provides experience. Currently it does not. It only provides BP. There are reasons for this, but I don't find them especially compelling. Grinding at the Battle Frontier, etc., takes an awful lot of time. If it ain't fun, it's a slog. One thing to make that slog a little less burdensome would be to provide experience points. It could give us a fun alternative to Blissey bases (ORAS) or Chansey SOS battles (USUM). And in the meantime, it answers your problem for LGPE -- a way to gain experience after becoming the Champion (that isn't E4 grinding).

Anyway, this is all pie in the sky. LGPE comes out next month. What's done is done. The vocal corner of the fandom seems to 4:1 ratio be against purchasing this game, but the million-dollar question is what the silent majority will be doing.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #185
Heather
Naga's Voice

Gen five had catch exp? I'm pretty sure that the addition was one of the hype points of X and Y's prerelease period...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #186
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Gen five had catch exp? I'm pretty sure that the addition was one of the hype points of X and Y's prerelease period...
Good catch. I honestly didn't remember and didn't question it when he said it was 5.

... Which it now says he didn't say? Odddddddddddddddddd. Whatever. We'll just chalk this one up to me, then, even though I grabbed my number straight out of someone else's post ... *shrug*
Old 10-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #187
ChampofPokemon
Cascade Badge

Pokémon on the Switch is going to PWN.
ChampofPokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 AM   #188
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I always said 6, but in all fairness at a glance 5 and 6 are similar enough to be mistaken. We've all done it.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #189
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Fucking despise 6. Not the region, nor the mons. Musics ok.

No, the reason I loathe gen 6 is because it got rid of my fancy sprites ;_;
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #190
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Fucking despise 6. Not the region, nor the mons. Musics ok.

No, the reason I loathe gen 6 is because it got rid of my fancy sprites ;_;
The 3d sprites have been really underwhelming. Why did Stadium on the 64 have way better idle and attack animations? Even on the switch all the 3d models in battle are just the pokemon jumping or turning with a sound effect and animation being done over that.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #191
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I loath Generation VI, but I give it a pass on the graphics side (retrospectively), even though I was loudly anti-3D in the past.

You have to remember than a huge chunk of Pokemon fans, or would-be Pokemon fans, felt the games were a dinosaur because of the sprite-based graphics. 2D is unacceptable to the mainstream now, but that is what GF's staff was trained in. So from the release of BW to XY, the entire team had to be re-hauled, sprites with unique animations had to be generated for over 700 Pokemon, and GF needed a shell of a game to encase all this effort.

That's an enormous undertaking, and the company has been playing catchup since then. XY shows the rough edges: concept art used for versus sprites, compressed chibi sprites for the overworld, low framerate animation. But if you consider this as something like Showdown, creating the wifi battle system first, it makes sense why the rest of XY is derpy. GF targeted what it views as the core feature for most players to focus on, and I think in the post-Showdown era more people are willfully ignoring that in favour of focusing on the other legitimate flaws.

That isn't to dismiss that GF leapt the grand canyon (for them) going from BW2 to XY.

As for Stadium 64, Stadium had way less Pokemon to deal with and didn't need to divert resources for story, level design, mini games, and all the rest of the activities that make up a mainstream Pokemon game. You might find this surprising but the Nintendo 64 has superior hardware to the 3DS, even though it's two generations older.

Granted, this free pass doesn't apply to LGPE. I will never excuse XY's shoddy design just because of the graphical upgrade I didn't want, but LGPE is several magnitudes worse by reducing the number of Pokemon back to the original 150, but not bothering to reanmate anything. Most of the game is upscales of the 3DS models which is beyond lazy.

BW > BW2 > XY
2011 > 2012 > 2013

Yet, this is what we get for the debut title on the Switch? Inexcuseable...unless you subscribe to my idea that GF did not know the Switch was going to be the next-gen handheld until very late.

I'm still betting on a 2020 release for Generation VIII!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #192
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Graphically, Gen VI literally is the game I asked for when I wrote Nintendo a letter in 1998 bemoaning the graphics in Generation I. You are all as close to objectively wrong as subjectivity can get. ^^;; Adore everything about the graphics Gen VI brought us. Absolutely gorgeous, it's like a living Pokémon anime in the palm of your hands. Generation VII even more so, with the move away from bobbleheads to anime 1:1 bodies in overworld mode.

As for the Pokémon in battle, I much prefer Gen VI to Colosseum. However, I do agree that more needs to be done with both the idle and attack animations. I would eventually like something maybe close to Pokken Tournament where you have the Pokémon on CPU mode and their AI is dialed up to max. Running, jabbing, blocking, dodging, etc. I dunno, though. People might not like that either, saying it breaks immersion. Y'all are too picky sometimes.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #193
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'm sorry but #2Dspritesmasterrace
Old 10-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #194
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Absolutely not. And it's gross to me that this idea has been gaining as much steam as it has over the past five years. It is the video game equivalent of "BRING BACK BROCK! " after the third time he was retired from the series. People demanded a departure from sprites, rightly so, all through Gens 4 and 5. We got it in Gen 6, and the fandom was unanimously positive about the change in 2013. Give it some time, though, and the Internet circle jerk + groupthink machines once again work their magic: and now we have a large chunk of the fandom, yourselves included, wholly convinced that 3D was a mistake and that we need to go back to the sprite Stone Age. Fuck no. All this talk of "charm" won't do you any good: Gens 1-5 look like garbage next to 6 and 7. The series is wildly better off for where it has reached than where it came from. I don't understand and frankly cannot abide by the increasingly vocal minority's sentiment that this:

is in any fashion better than this:

Or how this:

can possibly be considered better than this:

We've achieved Walt Disney World, and y'all are bitching and moaning that the park doesn't have shopping carts for you to "ride" around on. You want shopping carts? Get the fuck out of my park and go down to the nearest grocery. You can ride your piece-of-shit shopping carts all day long. Let the rest of us enjoy Splash Mountain.

Ask yourselves this: why do you even want a Sinnoh remake / why did you want a Hoenn remake if 2D sprites are "so much better" than the 3D models of Gens 6 and 7? What could you possibly hope to achieve with a Switch remake of DPPt if you're already convinced that Platinum is master race and XYORAS is 3D pig disgusting?

And then ask yourselves this: if you're so right, then why is it that the super-majority of the fandom is begging for that Sinnoh remake on Switch? Is crushed that LGPE looks so bad when they were wanting a 3D overhaul of the Kanto region that would have fleshed it out and made it more visually rich like Kalos and Alola? Is still super stoked for Gen 8, rather than saying "LOVE IS OVER! " and going back to play with their old DS and GBA games?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #195
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Holy fuck there was no need to be that offended, or judgmental. I just really like sprites.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #196
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

See, my issue with Gen. 6's models is how little personality most of them had. The 64/GC/Battle Revolution models typically scored pretty dang well in this regard (especially stuff like alakazam's extreme sass in it's 'getting back into position after getting hit' animation and honchkrow adjusting its feather hat), and even the animated sprites got this going for them to a greater extent (croagunk turning to look at you when you send it out in Platinum was quite the surprise for me the first time). Gen. 7 kinda helped in that regard with a few key pokes, especially in regards to their signature attacks, but the older pokemon were still left to gather dust. They're too static, in a graphic style that's not supposed to be that way.

Nitpick: that's not the sort of screencap you're supposed to use to compare a major battle intro from the sprite games to the Motherbeast's. The closer comparion would be one of the lightning-filled intros like this- and even then, that's closer to one of the Island Kahunas' intros than the Motherbeast's, seeing as hers was suped even by SM's standards!

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #197
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sorry. FWIW, not that upset. Also FWIW, I didn't bring the fight. You guys were the ones disparaging the move from 2D to 3D. Which compelled me to represent the other side of the debate, my side of the debate, to break up the circlejerk. You could have seen that for what it was and left well enough alone. But you poured gas on the fire with that sassy retort of yours. So ... ;p

It's fine to enjoy the 2D sprites. I prefer 2D Mario to 3D Mario. I prefer Mega Man and Mega Man X to what came later. I adore Street Fighter II. What I don't like -- indeed, what I cannot tolerate any longer -- is the flippantness that the majority of this fandom now displays. Opinions as weak as wet cement. It's okay for an opinion to change over time. But it feels like a majority of the Pokémon fans change their every opinion, constantly.

"Gen 6 was great no wait it was awful I hate it ."
"Gen 7 was so much better than Gen 6 no wait it's the worst thing ever. "
"Gen 5 was great no wait it was terrible no wait it's great again. "
"Sprites need to go no wait come back sprites we miss you. "
"Gyms need to go no wait gyms come back. "
"You know what I'd really like? A sequel. A true sequel to a Pokémon game ugh what is this BW2 shit get it off my screen no wait BW2 come back we miss you we love you ."
"You know what I'd like? A Hoenn remake oh wow this Hoenn remake is the BEST! ugh no they ruined Hoenn with ORAS, ruined it! "
"HMs are the worst hey they got rid of HMs this is the best no wait this is the worst I miss HMs bring HMs back please "

I'm tired of it. I'm super, super tired of it. Maybe mostly because I exist outside of it, and it's easy to judge when you're not the one with the problem. But man ... it's getting to be insufferable at this point. People can't think for themselves anymore. People's opinions are as tenuous as a spiderling's first silk thread. When I look at the fandom on Reddit, YouTube, and sadly even here these days, all I see is:

I'm poor Zazu over here. Sometimes I'm of opinion A and the fandom goes A-B-A, with me starting and ending with them but not without a middle "Dark Ages" period where they suddenly hate what we both used to love, what I still love, and what we're going to be reunited in loving eventually. Other times I'm of opinion B, and when the fandom goes A-B-A, it's me starting off socially ostracized, then me suddenly becoming a wise prophet, and ends with me condemned a false prophet. I'm exaggerating, of course. But two easy examples of this pattern are Gens 5 and 6. 6 is an A-B-A where I'm of the A opinion the entire ride (A-A-A), while 5a (i.e. BW1, not BW2) is one where I'm of the B opinion (B-B-B). Sure, it's always nice to have people agree with you at one point in the journey or another. But it's downright nauseating, all this whiplash! , when the fandom swerves from the one extreme to the other.

See, the thing is, I never preferred 3D Mario to 2D Mario. When I say I like 2D Mario better, I have always been that way. I hated Mario 64, for fifteen years, and even today with my softened opinion on it I still don't much care for it. Was not a big Sunshine fan. Cried with joy when NSMB came out on the DS. Decided to give you guys one last benefit of the doubt and give Galaxy a shake, purchasing it sight unseen when everyone was clamoring "BEST. MARIO GAME. EEEEEVEEEER! " Was not impressed, and am comfortable now in my position to never purchase a 3D Mario game ever again. (Sampled a little of Odyssey on a friend's Switch. Am still comfortable in that assessment. Zero desire to own Odyssey.)

Similarly, I hated Unova's graphics back in 2010; and I still hate them now. I considered XY to be one of the very best entries in the history of the franchise in 2013; and I still consider it that today. It's not stubbornness. It's knowing yourself and what your tastes are. It's not having others form your opinions for you. It's looking at a piece of art and deciding for yourself, "Yes, I like it" or "No, I don't," and so long as your reasons for your verdict don't change -- the shapes, the forms, the colors, the subject matter -- then your verdict doesn't change either. Once ugly, forever ugly. Once beautiful, forever beautiful. A painting doesn't suddenly go from "hideous" to "exquisite". Rarely it does. And when it does, rarely, that incidence remains your exception and not your rule. "Y'know, I used to think [show]/[song]/[movie]/[game] was really rubbish. But now I quite like it! " That's fine. That's allowed, to change your opinion from time to time. But not hanging your thoughts and opinions on the weather vane, to be blown any which way the hivemind's wind is currently blowing.

This fandom has been begging -- literally BEGGING -- for a home console Pokémon game with home console graphics for over 15 years. (In my case, 20 years.) You can't open a Colosseum video on YouTube without its comments section being overrun with comments bemoaning how beautiful Colosseum is and how "wouldn't it be grand? " if only we could have a main series Pokémon game on a home console with home console graphics the same way Colosseum sported GameCube graphics way back when. Now we are finally on the verge of achieving that dream, of having a main series Pokémon game launch for a home console ... and now, in this fucking eleventh hour, people are starting to change their minds and go, "Hey wait a minute, I like sprites! Yeah! I prefer sprites! What is this 3D shit? I want sprites! BRING ME BACK MY SPRITES!" I ... I just ...

Old 10-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #198
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Absolutely not. And it's gross to me that this idea has been gaining as much steam as it has over the past five years. It is the video game equivalent of "BRING BACK BROCK! " after the third time he was retired from the series. People demanded a departure from sprites, rightly so, all through Gens 4 and 5. We got it in Gen 6, and the fandom was unanimously positive about the change in 2013. Give it some time, though, and the Internet circle jerk + groupthink machines once again work their magic: and now we have a large chunk of the fandom, yourselves included, wholly convinced that 3D was a mistake and that we need to go back to the sprite Stone Age. Fuck no. All this talk of "charm" won't do you any good: Gens 1-5 look like garbage next to 6 and 7. The series is wildly better off for where it has reached than where it came from. I don't understand and frankly cannot abide by the increasingly vocal minority's sentiment that this:
3D was a mistake for reasons not directly related to the aesthetic quality. It's the single biggest wrecking ball for the series because the effort required to render everything in 3D has limited what GF can do creatively.

There are ideas GF want to do, like say a PokeStar Studios in Kalos, that they can't due to the animation requirements of it being in 3D.

There are ideas GF could do, like a Battle Frontier, that they couldn't do due to deadlines imposed by having to render everything else in 3D.

It's not a coincidence that Kalos, ORAS Hoenn, and Alola are among the most restrictive, linear games in the Pokemon franchise with the fewest features and most cutscenes.

Cutscenes are filler meant to pad hours because of how empty the games are of content. The end result is something closer to a visual novel, which is not popular with mainstream Western tastes at all (see: our efforts to promote them).

That said, I will fight you on the aesthetic quality.

Quote:

is in any fashion better than this:

They look very similar, especially in this low resolution format. I get that it's a more pronounced in-game, but what you're neglecting is a ton of bird Pokemon have this exact same motion, and it's not animated particularly well.

Birds don't hover unless they have wings designed for it, like the hummingbird. And the hummingbird's musculoskelature reflects this. Staraptor isn't a hummingbird and the animation is jarring: it doesn't look like it's shoulders are putting a lot of effort into the flap, the wings look like they're putting a lot of effort, but the end result is Staraptor bobs up and down. My intuitive sense of weight and momentum tell me it's levitating, not hovering or flying in place.

This is an example of poor animation that is a recurring problem with GF. The only time it wasn't a problem was with static sprites or very limited frame rate, like everything earlier than BW. Cleaning up the animation (or adding it) was the major improvement of SM's graphics over XY.

But why are we discussing idle animations? This is easily the least defensible point in favour of 3D, because by definition the idling Pokemon isn't moving around much.

Quote:
Or how this:

can possibly be considered better than this:

For the record, none of this was in Gen V, we had unique animations for every trainer, even if they were low quality and pixelate. GF regressed back to Gen IV with this practice.

And at least Red's sprite is clean. Then again, so is Citron's since GF is literally using concept art for the VS portrait. They only bothered to partially animate boss battles with the VS cutscene. This applies even to Gen VI with a few exceptions (Motherbeast, Ultra Necrozma). Even the RR bosses have the same limited animation cutscenes.

Quote:
We've achieved Walt Disney World, and y'all are bitching and moaning that the park doesn't have shopping carts for you to "ride" around on. You want shopping carts? Get the fuck out of my park and go down to the nearest grocery. You can ride your piece-of-shit shopping carts all day long. Let the rest of us enjoy Splash Mountain.
This isn't Walt Disney World, it's more like Hollywood Studios: smaller, less freedom, limited attractions compared to the "real thing". That is the compromise that you make for going "all-3D".

And even then, the overworld and top-down models for Gen VI are pretty dang ugly to look at. What you've pulled is from the battle element, which I have to reiterate was what GF poured most of their time and resources into making look good, for 700+ Pokemon with dozens of attacks each.

Quote:
Ask yourselves this: why do you even want a Sinnoh remake / why did you want a Hoenn remake if 2D sprites are "so much better" than the 3D models of Gens 6 and 7? What could you possibly hope to achieve with a Switch remake of DPPt if you're already convinced that Platinum is master race and XYORAS is 3D pig disgusting?
This isn't for me to answer because I hate FRLG and HGSS.

Quote:
And then ask yourselves this: if you're so right, then why is it that the super-majority of the fandom is begging for that Sinnoh remake on Switch?
"I want a trip down memory lane".

We're at the point where there's a good chunk of Pokemon fans for whom DPP is their first Generation of games. These are people who haven't had their turn getting brutalized by the likes of a botched remake like ORAS. They're hoping for the best and not really thinking about the worst, which is also the most likely scenario.

Quote:
Is crushed that LGPE looks so bad when they were wanting a 3D overhaul of the Kanto region that would have fleshed it out and made it more visually rich like Kalos and Alola? Is still super stoked for Gen 8, rather than saying "LOVE IS OVER! " and going back to play with their old DS and GBA games?
LGPE haters are parked in a lot of camps. The 3D haters are on board because they expect more out of a Switch game they have to spend $50 for.

I'm pretty sure the #1 reason people are stoked for Gen VIII is not because of the Switch graphics rehaul. Certainly that is one wicket, but the #1 reason would be the new gimmick or forthcoming gameplay changes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #199
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
3D was a mistake for reasons not directly related to the aesthetic quality. It's the single biggest wrecking ball for the series because the effort required to render everything in 3D has limited what GF can do creatively.

There are ideas GF want to do, like say a PokeStar Studios in Kalos, that they can't due to the animation requirements of it being in 3D.

There are ideas GF could do, like a Battle Frontier, that they couldn't do due to deadlines imposed by having to render everything else in 3D.

It's not a coincidence that Kalos, ORAS Hoenn, and Alola are among the most restrictive, linear games in the Pokemon franchise with the fewest features and most cutscenes.

Cutscenes are filler meant to pad hours because of how empty the games are of content. The end result is something closer to a visual novel, which is not popular with mainstream Western tastes at all (see: our efforts to promote them).
So to all of this I say:
  • either grow the size of your development team,
  • or else hire an outside party to handle this part of development for you
This is a man-hours problem, pure and simple. Game Freak needs to either outsource the 3D graphics part of development to a 3rd party far more interested in and far more skilled at the job than they are; or else they need to hire such interested individuals directly into their main development squad.

And they may be trying to do precisely that. Recall, last year's post about Creatures, Inc. hiring UE4 and Maya 3D CG designers. The speculation at the time boiled down to, "This could be for character models used in advertisements; it could be for character models used in TCG artwork; but it could also be for character models used in main series games." We didn't know, and Game Freak wasn't transparent about it. But it's entirely possible that they are trying the approach of "hire talented 3D CG programmers into our team, 'cause we sure as shit aren't talented at it nor are we rarin' to get good ".

Recall: with Colosseum, they did the other approach. Genius Sonority was who was outsourced to do the 3D graphics in the Colosseum games. They are Pokémon Company affiliated; Genius Sonority came into being originally for the sole purpose of helping out with Pokémon games. But they are not Game Freak. They don't make the main series games. They merely help out where needed.

To recap: you're definitely correct that 3D models take time to develop, and that (inherently) time spent on one corner of development takes away time that could be spent on all other aspects of development. But Game Freak's core developers needn't worry themselves with 3D CG if they don't wish to: they can either hire outside help into their fold, or they can hire outside help kept outside of their fold. Either way it achieves the same end result: more man-hours are injected into the formula; and the man-hours that the core developers would have previously spent on 3D CG, can now be spent elsewhere.

In other words: 3D CG isn't the enemy here. Game Freak sadly is. It's their fault if they are overwhelmed with the task of developing hundreds of 3D character models yet they choose not to hire on more help and choose to keep launching new generations in the main series every 2-4 years.

Quote:
Birds don't hover unless they have wings designed for it, like the hummingbird. And the hummingbird's musculoskelature reflects this. Staraptor isn't a hummingbird and the animation is jarring: it doesn't look like it's shoulders are putting a lot of effort into the flap, the wings look like they're putting a lot of effort, but the end result is Staraptor bobs up and down. My intuitive sense of weight and momentum tell me it's levitating, not hovering or flying in place.
Knowing all of this, I and millions of other bird lovers still have no problem looking at these animations. I dunno what to tell you. I can't invalidate your experience, that the visual is jarring and looks unnatural to you. But even knowing that it is physiologically incorrect, I don't look at that animation and go, "Yeugh! D:" It looks fine.

Quote:
This isn't Walt Disney World, it's more like Hollywood Studios: smaller, less freedom, limited attractions compared to the "real thing". That is the compromise that you make for going "all-3D".
I don't agree, but it's interesting to see your take on it.

Quote:
And even then, the overworld and top-down models for Gen VI are pretty dang ugly to look at.
Not. at. ALL.

"Politely" , you're out of your fucking mind if you think Kalos's overworld is a) visually weak or b) its visually weakest point. It is neither. It is not only strong, but indeed is Kalos's strongest visual selling point. Gorgeous locales, a perfect blend of fantasy and the genuine French article. XY remains the only game since the advent of the running shoes where I used the running shoes less than 50% of the time during Story Mode. I walked everywhere in Kalos, it was so breathtakingly beautiful. Its only hangup, as we press on into the future, is going to be how the graphics will age with time. For its day, it was revolutionary over the decrepit 2D sprites we had had up until that point. And aesthetically, it was, is, and forever shall remain just about perfect. Absolutely gorgeous region. There's a reason it was not just easy for me to remain behind in XY for a year following ORAS's release but nay to not be able to bring myself to depart Kalos. I spent the next year (Oct 2014 - Sept 2015) biking, flying, and walking all around Kalos while the rest of the world was busy indulging their Gen 3 nostalgia.

The screencaps hardly do the game justice, too. It looks so much better on the 3DS display than it does here in these screencaps. The screencaps make it look much more pixelated and make all of the edges seem so much sharper. And even then, the screencaps still convey the beauty of the region.

Quote:
"I want a trip down memory lane".
Wrong answer.

If the question is, "Why do you want a Sinnoh remake if 2D sprites are king and 3D models are pig disgusting?", the correct answer cannot be, "Because I want a trip down Memory Lane." If that's all you're after, get a DPPt cart and have at.

At the very least, the answer has to invoke something which could not be had by simply replaying DPPt. Be it, "I want to be able to play Sinnoh online again but online is turned off for DPPt." Be it, "I want to be in Sinnoh but I want to have my favorite Generation 5/6/7 creatures with me." Be it, "I want DPPt graphics but I'd like Switch-grade sound." Something. Anything besides "I want a trip down Memory Lane."

Quote:
We're at the point where there's a good chunk of Pokemon fans for whom DPP is their first Generation of games. These are people who haven't had their turn getting brutalized by the likes of a botched remake like ORAS. They're hoping for the best and not really thinking about the worst, which is also the most likely scenario.
Hahaha, maybe. But geez, you lot really are an unhappy bunch with ORAS. We all seem to agree that HGSS rocks, but it amazes me how many people are unhappy with ORAS now that the veneer has worn off. I quite liked ORAS. I'm not a huge Hoenn fanboy, though Hoenn has always been in my top half of regions / generational experiences. But I gotta say, they really did a good job with ORAS as far as the "remaking an older gen" aspect goes. I really loved the sprucings up they did to the various Aquas and Magmas. (I especially love ORAS Courtney, oh my God! ) I loved getting to see the beloved Hoenn gym leaders in glorious 3D and with facial animations to boot. (Not a lot, sadly. :') But even the few we got were great QOL improvements.) I enjoyed how Prof. Cosmo got fleshed out. I even liked the Delta Episode at first, but for the fact that (*sigh*) it is what opened Pandora's Box and put us on our current trajectory towards canon inconsequentiality. I don't know why so many people hate ORAS so much now. It's a pretty solid remake of Hoenn. I guess people are just miffed (understandably so) that the story got changed at all. That Mega Evolution poked its head into Hoenn's story. I can sympathize with that.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #200
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Talon, Pokemon is one of the largest franchises in the world. They have no excuse for making all the models look completely soulless.

Stadium:

Gen7:

It may as well be T-posing.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News