biggggg5
Volcano Badge

How bout that epilogue tho?

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:41 AM   #1627
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Hm. So. That was. A thing.

I ended up reading through both timelines and they are pretty crazy and enlightening things. It's gonna take a few rereads to properly understand everything, because there is A LOT of content here to go through.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #1628
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

A few thoughts:

Spoiler: show
Meat is the Caliborn ending. It has everything he would love, fighting, action, death, taking over the narrative.

Candy is the Calliope ending. It is suited for her interests, shipping, drama, characters being ooc to fit a narative, self insert.

Dirk saying he has become a part of every possible self of his should have sent a million red flags to everyone. One of his selves became combined with Calliborn. Which is why he bails out from Candyland once John makes the wrong choice. And it is wrong choice because the right choice was being outside of the black hole. The wrong choice is on the other side of the black hole, candyland. Which is why everyone who died in meat got dumped into candyland. It doesn't matter.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #1629
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Additional reading:

The Homestuck Epilogue for Assholes

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #1630
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Oh I enjoy that analysis very much. I think it's a very concise explanation of what exactly Homestuck is supposed to be, and why it's considered such a great work.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:49 AM   #1631
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I wrote up a quick rubric of the classpect system.

Spoiler: show
(control, understanding, service)
-/-: Thief, Witch, Knight (Ambitious) (Seek)
-/+: Rogue, Heir, Page (Unsung) (Accept)
+/-: Prince, Mage, Maid (Tragic) (Reject)
+/+: Bard, Seer, Sylph (Selfless) (Offer)

(choice, knowledge, empathy)
-/-: Breath, Heart, Rage (true self)
-/+: Blood, Mind, Hope (potential self)
+/-: Time, Light, Doom (true reality)
+/+: Space, Void, Life (potential reality)

Many online analysts neglect one important detail about the classpect system: Hussie does not keep notes. There is no master doc containing the information about classpects. Instead, Hussie stores the classes and aspects completely in his head. This means that he needs to be able to quickly cross-reference information in his mind, which means that there need to be strong categorical relationships between classes and aspects as well as a firm underlying philosophy. Hussie has been known to use physics concepts in conjunction with gaming concepts, so it's not hard to just smash the two together and see what patterns arise.

The first thing we notice is that there are 12 classes and 12 aspects, which neatly divides into 3 groups of 2 pairs of 2. From there it's very simple to put names on those 3 groups, which is to say:

Control/Choice: Making important decisions. Being important. Being essential. (Negatively charged, seek out positive energy)
Understanding/Knowledge: Having all the answers. Figuring things out. (Neutrally charged, keep everything stable)
Service/Empathy: Helping others. Making things work. Pulling everyone together. (Positively charged, seek out negative energy)

You'll notice right off the bat that the classes practically sort themselves. The aspects are a little tricker, and I've been through multiple iterations. I still think I will come across something that causes me to reshuffle my categorizations, but I think it will only change the -/+ signs on the left depending on how the categories fit into passive or active elements.

Speaking of which, that's our next little game.

Active elements are inwardly focused, and passive elements are outwardly focused.

For classes, the first +/- almost represents charge. If you are -, you are lacking and want something, and if you are +, you have too much of it and must give some away. ("It" here refers to some combination of your aspect and your grouping above.)

The second describes the reaction to the charge.

-/- means you don't have something, but you really want it. I describe these players as Ambitious, those who seek out mastery of their aspect.
-/+ means you don't have something, but that you're content with whatever little bites fall into your lap. I describe these players as Unsung, those who are ready to Accept mastery of their aspect whenever it decides to appear.
+/- means you have stuff, but you have to get rid of it for whatever reason (it's wrong, or bad for you, or impedes the progression of you or your group). These players are Tragic sufferers who must Reject some important part of themselves in order to improve.
+/+ means you are full of stuff and happy to give it to whoever wants or needs it. I describe these players as Selfless, those who Offer their aspect to others and provide for them when they need it.

Aspects follow a similar pattern. Same 3 categories, and same active/passive ideas but applied to more universal concepts.

First +/- is about focus. If you are -, you are oriented towards the self and consider the universe important for what it means to people. By contrast, if you are +, you are much more of a big-picture thinker who tries to consider things in the important context of Everything Else.

Second +/- revolves around kinetic vs. potential. If you're a -, you like things resolved and understood. They don't have to be unchanging or even clear, they just have to be good enough to grasp or use. Meanwhile, + people prefer the process to the outcome and like when things are confusing, mysterious, or messy. For +s, it's far more fun to adventure, explore, and create than it is to check boxes off their to-do lists.

-/- means you are inwardly focused on people and relationships, and seek resolution to real issues that you face.
-/+ means you are inwardly focused on people and relationships, but offer a broad variety of indirect and theoretical solutions to their problems.
+/- means you are externally focused on the world around you, searching to discover the complex, somewhat messy truth about things you see and experience.
+/+ means you are externally focused on the world around you, investigating possible outcomes and enjoying the many mysteries of reality and the universe.

If you have any counterarguments to my system, please tell me. So far I haven't run into anything that's too particularly damning, and I think this system of broader categories works far better than the 6-diametric-pairs system that most people online seem to be using.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 AM   #1632
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

The other nice thing about the system outlined above is that you can use it to find your classpect very easily without getting too into the details of what they mean. (This is also beneficial for Skaia to sort out sessions.) All you have to do is circle all the ones you like.

For example, I have circled:

Class: Thief, Witch, Knight, Heir, Mage, Seer, Prince
Aspect: Heart, Mind, Light, Void, Time, Doom, Space

Anything else, I don't really care about and am not terribly interested in.

You can already see that I have selected all of the classes and aspects in both Knowledge/Understanding blocks, and seem to identify most with "true reality" and "tragic hero." The sorting into Mage of Light is easy and obvious.

If you just look at those categories using the diametric-pairs system, it makes zero fucking sense. Dahni's system basically forces you to investigate each pair of classes individually and match them to each aspect to see which one is the best match. My system, on the other hand, easily outlines that I am:

Neutrally charged (I value understanding and consider mastery of my aspect to be a fully matured understanding of it)
Positively directed (I consider myself to be someone with a lot of understanding and knowledge)
Negatively oriented (I want to find new understanding and knowledge)

This means Mage.

Neutrally charged (I derive power from having more understanding and knowledge than others around me)
Positively directed (I am careful to consider things in context of the broader reality around them)
Negatively oriented (I am most interested in how things happen than what could possibly occur)

This points quickly and easily to Light.

Another important facet of my system is that Skaia appears to actually consider you in context with others who enter the session with you. Having 6 classes to choose from lets Sburb run a very easy optimization sort to get you into a role that fits you the best in context with the way everyone else is growing, learning, and developing.

For example, if I was placed into a session with two other Light players, it might shunt me to Time and someone else to Doom. We keep our love of narratives and keen sleuthing personalities, but develop in a slightly different way as we differentiate ourselves and take on different duties and obligations with each other. In this way, no overlap is necessary and similar players can still play together without redundancies in duties.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment