UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #7301
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Double-post, but forgot to mention I picked up Touken Ranbu. It pretty much feels like "Kancolle for girls" (wayyy too many bishies/fujoshi-bait), but the dramatic opening and hint at possible angst/PTSD flashbacks down the line drew me in. Some of the boys' interactions were cute too. Was wavering about whether to continue, but I found myself smiling by the end so I think I'll stick with it. (Apparently there's also going to be another adaptation by ufotable next year as well???)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #7302
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Double-post, but forgot to mention I picked up Touken Ranbu. It pretty much feels like "Kancolle for girls" (wayyy too many bishies/fujoshi-bait), but the dramatic opening and hint at possible angst/PTSD flashbacks down the line drew me in. Some of the boys' interactions were cute too. Was wavering about whether to continue, but I found myself smiling by the end so I think I'll stick with it. (Apparently there's also going to be another adaptation by ufotable next year as well???)
It is basically KanColle with a lot of fujoshi bait.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #7303
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"Kantai Collection is for boys. Touken Ranbu is for girls."

Shipgirls. Swordboys.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #7304
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

At the least ToRabu's animé seems to have more semblance of a plot/references to historical events than KanColle did. We're told off the bat that the swordboys were brought to life in order to defeat bad guys who are trying to change history, plus they retain their memories of their past lives and masters. Kind of a neat concept; if they can balance the drama with antics better this time I'm down for seeing how that serious side of the story develops.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #7305
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Two new shows to add to the pile. Atleast they were interesting enough to keep me from instantly dropping them.

Nanbaka
LOOK AT THEM COLORS! It's like I'm watching JoJo! I enjoyed episode 1 well enough to be disappointed that the episode ended. This show seems like it'll be amusing. The characters seem colorful enough to carry the show for 12 episodes. It's not over-the-top fantastic, but I enjoyed it at the very least, and I like their attitude towards being in prison.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi
Apparently White Fox making this will automatically make it fantastic. I'm not really sure what to think of the show so far. It just seems like your usual "girl gains mysterious powers and saves the day" type thing. Here's to hoping it'll have something to set it apart from everything else just like it. I do think it's funny that the art suddenly goes super low quality when it's a scene with the main girl and her friend. It's supposed to be bad, but considering how silly those scenes are compared to how serious everything else is, it works.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:27 AM   #7306
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Some more show tryouts plus an older show I decided to give a look.

3-gatsu no Lion
'tis the "Sad Otaku Plays Shogi" show. I couldn't watch far into this. It was just too damn dull. I was interested in Sad Otaku's problems with his former club mates, but I was just too bored to go through much further. The forced "personality" didn't help things.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Saw episode 2. Episode 2 proved some things to me. The direction the show is going to go is okay, but I doubt it'll be able to keep my attention. (episode 2 spoilers)
It seems the whole magical girl thing is just some survival game. I guess it's interesting, but I'm not very crazy for it. I bet main girl's friend will end up dying soon, and we'll end up with the duo of main girl and the ninja. That in itself is frustrating as hell, because main girl's friend is the most interesting part of the show.

Occult;Nine
I was originally going to ignore this, because I've had enough of those damn "kids with superpowers doing shit" shows, but I figured I would try this, since most of the other shows have been flops. I dub this the "Yuki Kaji Screamtalks Really Fast" show. Oh, and he has a short sidekick with an inflated chest. This show sort of reminds me of DURRR. Things were happening too quickly for me to really get much of a grasp of everything. The show seems like it could be interesting, but I guess I'll have to see how things play out.

Show By Rock S2
Instead of diabetes, we have shit happening. While diabetes is the main draw of season 1, I don't mind a heavier focus on plot, even if it'll likely turn out to be nonsense. It was nice to see Shingancrimsonz again in full force. It's great that such a stupidly edgy band is mostly comic relief. The insert songs are still quite nice. The concert scenes might be better without the chibi animal bits, but not putting in chibi animal mascots would kill Sanrio's identity!

Muteki Kanban Musume
I randomly found some screenshots of this while looking through Danbooru. This seemed like a fun show, so I decided to give it a look. It seems this is more commonly known as "Ramen Fighter Miki". So far it's frustrating. It reminds me of how irritating "comedy" used to be in anime. That obnoxious fast scream-talking that's supposed to be funny. It's still done nowadays, but not as often, and I'm thankful for it. This show is basically the main girl just doing whatever she can in whatever obnoxiously hyperactive manner she can while main guy makes stupid faces at her and narrates everything she does. The show managed to give me a few chuckles, and a hearty laugh in episode 2 where Miki didn't even appear, but my primary emotion while watching is irritation. I'll watch a little further in, but my expectations are low.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:19 AM   #7307
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Those jokes about Occult;Nine and the short girl with a huge chest were not exaggerated.

Which is rather stunning. Most anime girls get breast implants when they transition from anime into fanart. This is the first girl I've ever seen where fanartists simply can't add anymore silicone.

Working!!

Started this, as it's better than most of the new season, anyway.

Lots of cool guys voicing in this show. Fukujun? Hiroshi Kamiya? On the female side I think Hanakana is here too.

On the humour side, it's pretty ordinary. Characters have quirks and those are latched on to by other characters. I'm largely indifferent at this point.

The girls are cute though. I feel like a pervert just saying that though.

Pokemon Generations

Much better than what I've seen of Origins, at least. Red & Gold are silent which is a change for the better. Capturing scenes from the games in short bursts is less controversial. Art quality can vary, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #7308
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Actually make a quick Danbooru search of Occult;Nine. All images from the show are of that girl and her massive tits.

Occult;Nine: 41 images
Narusawa Ryouka: 41 images

To hell with the other characters!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #7309
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Those jokes about Occult;Nine and the short girl with a huge chest were not exaggerated.

Which is rather stunning. Most anime girls get breast implants when they transition from anime into fanart. This is the first girl I've ever seen where fanartists simply can't add anymore silicone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Actually make a quick Danbooru search of Occult;Nine. All images from the show are of that girl and her massive tits.

Words don't do this justice.

Quote:
Pokemon Generations

Much better than what I've seen of Origins, at least. Red & Gold are silent which is a change for the better. Capturing scenes from the games in short bursts is less controversial. Art quality can vary, though.
I disagree. The art (budget) is better, but the format is far too short to allow for any meaningful enjoyment. I've watched all six videos and the only one I'd be willing to consider a grade of C+ or better for would be the sixth episode (the one with Eusine and the Burnt Tower). All the others are C or worse for sure. And it's mostly to do with the stupidly short length.

Another peeve I have with Generations -- though this is more Game Freak's fault than anyone else's -- is that they're going with the HGSS and BW2 branding of Giovanni instead of the RBY and FRLG branding of him. Origins opted to go with the latter, much to my delight and satisfaction. "Giovanni sees the error of his ways, disbands Team Rocket, and truly reforms." The Origins depiction of the before and after of Red vs. Giovanni fits at worst, exceeds at best how I have imagined that scene in my head for years now. (The battle itself might not, but it's still super good too.) But Generations, to my dismay, has opted instead to go with the whole "Giovanni was angry he got bested by a kid, didn't intend to disband Team Rocket, and has been biding his time these past three years wanting to relaunch the group" angle espoused by HGSS's post-game scene (WiFi event only) with Giovanni and Celebi. It's like ... why? Why do this? You had it perfect in Origins, and then you cocked it up in Generations. Like I said, though, the blame really rests at Game Freak's feet. They're the ones who wrote a contradictory story. (Everything was fine until the Celebi event in HGSS ...)

If there's been one thing Generations has gifted us, it's been this:

Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #7310
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I disagree. The art (budget) is better, but the format is far too short to allow for any meaningful enjoyment. I've watched all six videos and the only one I'd be willing to consider a grade of C+ or better for would be the sixth episode (the one with Eusine and the Burnt Tower). All the others are C or worse for sure. And it's mostly to do with the stupidly short length.
I have a tough time understanding this.

Origins has a mixed heritage in that it presents itself as an adaption of RBY (what with the Gameboy imagery and whatnot), but the adaption is quite literally Fire Red and Leaf Green. And that's not cool, really.

If Origins doesn't matchup with your own playthrough as a kid, it's bound to upset some people. Think the Mega Charizard scene, which I'm sure pissed off everybody.

With Generations' short clips, nothing really contradicts a particular playthrough in the game. Returning Red and Gold to silent kids is good because now I don't have to rip out my ear hairs from hearing Uzumaki Naruto rant about Pokemon.

It's not meant to be evaluated as a full-fledged anime. It's basically short commercials, and should be treated as such.

Are commercials good? I preferred the commercial for the Ash-Greninja v. Mega Charizard fight to the actual anime episode. So. They can be. But they're not a substitute for a real anime. And as Pokemon media, they don't piss me off so badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Another peeve I have with Generations -- though this is more Game Freak's fault than anyone else's -- is that they're going with the HGSS and BW2 branding of Giovanni instead of the RBY and FRLG branding of him. Origins opted to go with the latter, much to my delight and satisfaction. "Giovanni sees the error of his ways, disbands Team Rocket, and truly reforms." The Origins depiction of the before and after of Red vs. Giovanni fits at worst, exceeds at best how I have imagined that scene in my head for years now. (The battle itself might not, but it's still super good too.) But Generations, to my dismay, has opted instead to go with the whole "Giovanni was angry he got bested by a kid, didn't intend to disband Team Rocket, and has been biding his time these past three years wanting to relaunch the group" angle espoused by HGSS's post-game scene (WiFi event only) with Giovanni and Celebi. It's like ... why? Why do this? You had it perfect in Origins, and then you cocked it up in Generations. Like I said, though, the blame really rests at Game Freak's feet. They're the ones who wrote a contradictory story. (Everything was fine until the Celebi event in HGSS ...)
I agree with this. Giovanni reforming was pretty powerful in the original game. The HGSS angle is pretty forced and cringe-worthy, even if it explains Silver's attitude pretty well ("I don't want to rely on others, I want to be strong on my own"). Effective retcon, that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #7311
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have two more shows. As my despair for this season has reached its climax, two good first episodes have brought me back! I guess the good shows were just taking their time.

Classicaloid
Yes....Yes! Yes! YES! YES! FUCKING YES! How long have I waited to watch a show this surreal? Since Tsuritama? Since freaking 2012! This show takes my senses and makes sweet love to them. That's how awesome this first episode was. I don't care how dumb the plot is. I don't care how little anything makes sense. That's not the point of the show. The point is to simply sit back and enjoy majesty at its finest.......god I hope this doesn't end up getting old. I doubt anyone else here will actually like this show.

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari
So this is the "heartwarming fun times taking care of a kid" show of this season. I really enjoyed the first episode. One important bit in shows like this is the interaction with the kid, and in this show, it was as sugar sweet as it gets. Even without that, it has potential. Main guy's past with the udon shop and what he's going to do with it seems like it'll be interesting. If I were to name a problem, it's how unnatural they went with trying to push main guy into re-opening the shop. People just appear from out of nowhere, assume the shop is open, and they try to push main guy into making udon for them.

Show By Rock S2
Episode 2 came out, and all of the diabetes missing from episode 1 hit episode 2 in full force. Even the fake language was freaking cute. The OP is also pretty nice. Cyan's freaking dancing is enough to put someone on the floor.

Shows I'm following from best to worst:
Classicaloid
Udon no Kuni
Nanbaka
Show By Rock
Soushin Shoujo Matoi
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
JugsOccult;Nine

Instant drop:
www.Working
3-gatsu no Lion
Tiger Mask W

I wonder what the cool kids are watching this season anyway.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 10-11-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #7312
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku is the only thing Im watching this season (aside from the jojos) and it seems to be crap. :/

In better news, has anyone else here been blessed by Ainz-samas words?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #7313
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku is the only thing Im watching this season (aside from the jojos) and it seems to be crap. :/

In better news, has anyone else here been blessed by Ainz-samas words?
I just want a fucking Overlord S2. I'm appreciative of any Overlord content, but I'm just seriously hoping this movie is to refresh people the franchise prior to a S2 announcement. It feels like far too often shows I fall in love with, that end unfinished, never get a season two, and I hate it.

I haven't seen Ikusei Keikaku yet, but if you've not seen Shuumatsu no Izetta, it's really good. It's basically Mahou Shoujo vs Nazis. Haven't seen the second episode yet though. Bonus: it's suuuuuuuuuuuuper gay.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #7314
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I just want a fucking Overlord S2. I'm appreciative of any Overlord content, but I'm just seriously hoping this movie is to refresh people the franchise prior to a S2 announcement. It feels like far too often shows I fall in love with, that end unfinished, never get a season two, and I hate it.

I haven't seen Ikusei Keikaku yet, but if you've not seen Shuumatsu no Izetta, it's really good. It's basically Mahou Shoujo vs Nazis. Haven't seen the second episode yet though. Bonus: it's suuuuuuuuuuuuper gay.
Why aren't you reading the LN of Overlord then, which is incomprehensibly better? The 11th Volume just came out and is almost done being translated. Volume 4 is kind of eh but the rest of the series is very good. Especially once you get to Volume 9+.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #7315
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kuno, can you hook me up with "the usual place", because all I've had of Volume 11 is the .pdf and disjointed pastebins. Apparently, there's some repository where all the pastebin links are posted and I don't know it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #7316
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Kuno, can you hook me up with "the usual place", because all I've had of Volume 11 is the .pdf and disjointed pastebins. Apparently, there's some repository where all the pastebin links are posted and I don't know it.
https://overlordvolume10.blogspot.lt/2016/09/now.html

It updates every day at 11 AM EST but it looks like today or tomorrow is the final day, as it's almost done.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #7317
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oooh me gusta, thanks a lot!

It always amuses me how in several of these LN, undead are portrayed as an infinite resource. Re:Monster and now Overlord hit on that theme.

From a conventional POV, it still doesn't make sense. Where do undead get their energy from? From magic, naturally. Magic isn't infinite either. So it's a bit strange that they're portrayed as tireless and exploitable.

In D&D, undead are only inexhaustible in comparison to the living. Eventually, even the undead will stop moving, but the living with their many weak points would die long before that happens. Golems and robots are exactly the same way, with even fewer weaknesses.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #7318
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Oooh me gusta, thanks a lot!

It always amuses me how in several of these LN, undead are portrayed as an infinite resource. Re:Monster and now Overlord hit on that theme.

From a conventional POV, it still doesn't make sense. Where do undead get their energy from? From magic, naturally. Magic isn't infinite either. So it's a bit strange that they're portrayed as tireless and exploitable.

In D&D, undead are only inexhaustible in comparison to the living. Eventually, even the undead will stop moving, but the living with their many weak points would die long before that happens. Golems and robots are exactly the same way, with even fewer weaknesses.
Its magic aint gotta explain shit. But seriously I imagine necromancy as high level stuff. The summoner is also tied to the summoned Id imagine as well.

Although I did read a thing saying Overlord isnt based on an old MMO but rather a D&D group the author was a part of. He loved the world, characters, adventures, etc but as time went on more people got too busy with their lives. I think that feeling comes across in Overlord rather well.

Let me know when you finish v11.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #7319
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Its magic aint gotta explain shit. But seriously I imagine necromancy as high level stuff. The summoner is also tied to the summoned Id imagine as well.

Although I did read a thing saying Overlord isnt based on an old MMO but rather a D&D group the author was a part of. He loved the world, characters, adventures, etc but as time went on more people got too busy with their lives. I think that feeling comes across in Overlord rather well.

It's definitely based on D&D sessions. Most MMOs in Japan today tend to be derived from stuff like Dragon Quest, a Japanese interpretation of D&D sessions in the 1980s. So there's two degrees of separation from D&D itself.

Novels from the '80s and '90s, like Slayers and Record of Lodoss War, were based on D&D groups themselves, even though they are Japanified.

Overlord itself does not feel Japanified. In many cases, it feels like I'm reading something out of a D&D paper game. There are some characters who are, like Albedo - who is basically a virgin succubus - but that's by design, because Ainz's friends were otaku and so wrote their NPCs like otaku would.

What goes on here in Volume 11 regarding the dwarves is such. There's no ancient heraldy and massive house bloodline, following a line of kingly successions. The dwarves are an endangered race, confined to a single mountain range and rule themselves with a council like a township would.

I'm almost finished, on the last bit of Part V. It's definitely been worth the wait, although we didn't have to wait very long in between Volume 10 and Volume 11.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #7320
Lady Kuno

Just make sure you put stuff in spoiler tags incase anyone else is still reading or wants to read.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #7321
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yo I finished that and slept.

That epilogue was super lewd. Vanilla is bestesh.

But like everyone I'm not a fan of that cliffhanger. The novel was filled with feel goods, why did it have to end like that? Of course one can't trust Lupusregina easily because it's never lupus.

I was a bit disappointed the Frost Dragons were OHKO'd like that, the dragons have been hyped for a while. Though it turns out Olasaric was only Level 46, and because of how the New World works he's weaker in his level spread than an equal Dragon from YGGDRASIL. Very similar to the EV spread of Pokemon games if you don't control what Pokemon you grind on to max EVs before the cap.

And while I admired the fear of the dwarves, Quagoa and dragons, and it was exciting, it was less impressive than what we saw in Volume 10 (which was written after Volume 11). Being afraid of Ainz and submissive to his power is one thing, it's another to get PTSD from watching the Katze Plains massacre and having to retire from the military, like a bunch of Jerky's soldiers had to.

That's a much more powerful image, you go out expecting a choreographed medieval battle and find yourself in the middle of Doom.

The last section, 5.1.3 I think, was nothing but sasugas.

Sasuga, Ainz-sama!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #7322
Lady Kuno

Volume 11 Spoilers

I dont think its possible for Ainz to have been defeated. The chapter mentions the Death Knight Ainz summoned which raises two points.

1) The Death Knight would either have frozen up, vanished, or gone berserk if he died.

2) Why did the author even mention it? The Death Knight is never mentioned again after the first book. Not even in 'The Two Leaders' which talks about Enri for half the LN. The fact that its randomly brought up here means hes ok.

I feel like its part of a plot regarding the Holy Empire or Thocracy.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #7323
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's worth noting that the light novel has more or less surpassed where the web novel ended, although events in the web novel accelerated things. So I have no idea what the focus of Volume 12 is going to be. There's any number of angles now that Volume 11 is out of the way:

-the southern Holy Kingdom Demiurge has been investigating
-the Dragon Kingdom which is about to be overrun by Beastmen
-the Elf Country which is about to be overrun by the Slane Theocracy

In that sense, it's pretty funny a lot of stuff is happening independent of Ainz. Cause the Dwarf Kingdom was about to be overrun by Quagoa.

I predict Volume 12 will be another setup chapter, then we'll have another engagement in Volume 13.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #7324
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Oh man I meant to catch up on Overlord. That didn't happen, heck not sure what volume I'm even on anymore lol.

What I recall was there was like some whorehouse for some fat dude who liked ripping into people, and after that the two factions (Ainz and royalty?) were going to raid this one place but they didn't know that each other planned to, likely resulting in some "oh shit" moments, but I stopped right about there. Anyone know which volume that is, and where i might be able to pick it back up at?
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #7325
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think that's way back in Volume 5, pre-Jaldabaoth.

You've got a lot of adventure awaiting you.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime